MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ski masks are not unusual for people who are into outdoor winter activities (snowmobiling, skiing, etc.). However, on a warm October night, it does seem a bit odd to have one readily available. To me, the "disguise" the abductor had on suggests that this was somewhat planned, or at least he had it ready "just in case." He was prepared, regardless if his target was Jacob (or one of the other boys), or another child he could have happened upon. Again, JMO.

The use of winter apparel in warm months or in warm climates to commit sex crimes (including male-on-male assaults) is not uncommon. The obvious purpose of ski masks and large winter coats is to hide the assailant’s appearance and identity – nothing bizarre about that.

I agree, nothing bizarre about the choice of clothing at all. However, the clothing that Jacob's perp wore was very different from the clothing described in Jared's abduction, as well as with the attempted abduction of the boy in the township of St. Joseph.

Additionally, Jared was alone, as was the boy in St. Joseph township. Jacob was with other people when he was abducted. No vehicle was seen in Jacob's abduction. There are more differences than similarities, and that is why I believe Jacob's abductor was by a different man that Jared's or the other attempt.

JMO, only.

ELOCsoul...anything to report on your Thursday + Friday route?

Night routes...I was thinking newspaper or LE night shift OR a daytime route along 23 + 55 with nighttime excursions but how would the poster know these? Was the Fleet supply store just west of 23 + 55 interchange there in 1989?

No not really. I drive that route about every 6 weeks or so. I spent most of my free time looking for more info. Found some bits here and there - more of it coming soon!!

I agree, nothing bizarre about the choice of clothing at all. However, the clothing that Jacob's perp wore was very different from the clothing described in Jared's abduction, as well as with the attempted abduction of the boy in the township of St. Joseph.

Additionally, Jared was alone, as was the boy in St. Joseph township. Jacob was with other people when he was abducted. No vehicle was seen in Jacob's abduction. There are more differences than similarities, and that is why I believe Jacob's abductor was by a different man that Jared's or the other attempt.

JMO, only.

The article states that the Paynesville perp had by the last incident 'blackened everything'...so maybe he changed his m.o. as went along? In addition, could he have changed his m.o. in regards to releasing his victims as well? Or did circumstances force him to? I go back + forth on Jared + Jacob's abductors being the same person not having enough info.

Maybe I have too many clothes, but i do not think I am unusual that in MN we need a range of wardrobe. Many different temp clothes. The winter stuff is put away until needed. Just not that much room in closets. It is hauled out when it seems like the snow will last and the cold has settled in. That time is not the end of October. Maybe after Thanksgiving?

The point I am trying to make is that this clothing was readily available. If we eliminate a car, we are left with?

Exactly. It does come down to car - no car doesn't it? With car-possibilities. Without car-not much wiggle room.

maybe they were covering for each other. I hope they thoroughly checked their alibis.

I was looking through some old articles on Jacob from MN newspapers. I found the info below (in italics) in an old Star Tribune article from 1989 (when they still thought Jacob had been taken in a car).

I think the "men who had previous criminal records and had been looked at and cleared" may have been referring to the B brothers, and possibly Lou also.

"During the past two days authorities identified four men as suspects, but later eliminated them after confirming alibis."These are people who were around the area or were involved in different types of crime," said Stearns County Sheriff Charlie Grafft.

At least three of them had records for sex offenses and were released within the past six months from correctional facilities or treatment programs, he said. The list of 100 potential suspects was compiled from 300 phone tips, interviews with the Wetterling family and friends, parole records and other sources, authorities said. It appears increasingly likely that Jacob was taken from the area. "There is always the possibility that he is locked in the basement of some house and we haven't found him yet, but we don't believe so," Kostreba said."

(From a much longer article on 10/25/89 - Star Tribune, Section 01A - Available by paid subscription only - so no link.)

I still wonder how Kevin's car tracks were/are responsible for LE abandoning the car theory. Amongst the myriad of tracks visible on the 1989 photos, how is it that this ONE vehicle caused LE to take a 180 turn on this case?

Speaking of car tracks....something that puzzles me: If LE, as a result of Kevin coming forward in 2004 admitting the tracks were his, decided that the perp was on foot and thus turned their focus on DR, then why are they still considering other suspects? Were there other neighbors that could have been on foot as well? I'm sure I read a link on this forum quoting Patty W saying there are still other suspects. If in theory someone other than the POI was on foot then why drag Jacob east 40 yards on DR's driveway to the second pole? And if in fact, we assume that LE is correct that Kevin's tracks were the only tracks unidentified prior to 2004, then why are we on WS pursuing other possible suspects? If the only possible suspect on foot is DR, then all other suspects require a vehicle. Yet, many possible suspects have been discovered by sleuthers here on WS but no mention of how the suspect may have committed the crime. Just a conundrum for me.

I still wonder how Kevin's car tracks were/are responsible for LE abandoning the car theory. Amongst the myriad of tracks visible on the 1989 photos, how is it that this ONE vehicle caused LE to take a 180 turn on this case?

For one theory about the "cars", see my post from Oct 1st below. Keep in mind that LE's focus on the car (Kevin) over the years was due to one eyewitness account (Dan Rassier's) of seeing a car in his driveway around the time of the abduction. Rassier now says he say two cars, neither of which were Kevin's - so that makes 3 cars in his driveway turning around in the same spot. Seems highly unlikely. Again, this is just one theory:

10-01-2013, 10:33 PM

It's Simple - It's All About The Cars
The following analysis is my opinion only.

It’s all about the cars, simple as that. Specifically, is DR telling the truth when he says he saw two cars in his driveway on the day that Jacob was abducted (with neither of those cars being Kevin's)? And equally as important, when did he report that information to LE and the media?

On the one hand, if DR is telling the truth about the cars, and told LE about those cars from day one – then it stands to reason that he could well be an innocent witness, and there was indeed something sinister brewing in St Joseph on that 22nd day of October 1989.

Factors That Support DR’s Story About the Cars
1. He did tell the media, on October 23, that he saw a small car turn around in his driveway. That info was reported in the St Cloud Times and directly quoted to DR.
2. There were several attempted abductions reported within a 50 mile radius of the Twin Cities in fall 1989, with the car being described as a large tan car. The abduction attempts reported tended to be within a few miles of I-94.

On the other hand – if DR did not tell LE about the 2 cars right away – that would most certainly indicate that he made up the story in an attempt to cover up the crime. If he saw the cars, there would be no logical reason for him to withhold that information from LE.

Factors That Question DR’s Story About the Cars
1. If he did tell the media and LE about both the cars he saw in his driveway, then why wasn’t that information reported publicly at the time? The newspapers were peppered with stories about attempted abductions, vehicle descriptions, etc – why was there no public communication about DR seeing cars?
2. There were several attempted abductions reported in the area shortly after Jacob’s abduction. A tan car was described in several of those reports. If DR did not report on the afternoon car immediately, then it’s likely that he took bits of info from the reports of attempted abductions, and crafted a story to fit those scenarios.
3. DR insists that the driver of that afternoon car is the one guilty of committing the abduction. There is no logic in that assertion; it just doesn’t make sense on any level.
4. Prior to this year, DR has been quoted as saying he witnessed things throughout the day that coalesced in his mind as important information that could lead to the abductor. He refused to go public with the information for fear that it could tip off the kidnapper. Again, that does not make any logical sense. The fact that DR publicly stated that he saw things that day, alone in itself, would tip off the “real” kidnapper because that person would know or figure out whose driveway he was on when he turned around – why would DR think holding back information about the cars would jeopardize the investigation?
5. DR says he didn't see or hear Kevin's car in the driveway that night, minutes after the abduction. DR's dog barking alerts him to the 2nd car in his driveway, but minutes later Kevin, presumably driving slower than the other two cars, doesn't give the dog cause to bark furiously? IMO, the slower the car in the driveway, the louder and longer a dog will bark. A fast moving car - that's likely to startle a dog, but hard to tell how quickly the dog would react by barking.
6. When Kevin came forward in 2004 to provide the information that he was driving the car in DR's driveway that night - why did LE suddenly change their theory of the case to an abduction on foot? That would indicate to me that LE didn't "buy" his story about he other two cars he reported (again, when did he report them?). So that raises a big question - if LE didn't believe DR about the other two cars, then why would they believe a car was involved at all, ever?

Another thing about DR’s story that does not add up, in my opinion, are parts of his account of his day. This is an example I don't think anyone has brought up before now - he says he remembers getting the newspaper that evening when he returned from his run. First – that is an odd thing to remember about something that happened 23 years ago. Second – it’s so insignificant that one has to wonder why he even stated it. Third – who doesn’t look forward to getting the Sunday paper every week? I don’t know about you all, but if I don’t get the Sunday paper from the box before 8am it’s because I’m out of town! OK, yeah I’m probably making too big a deal about the newspaper, but one has to wonder if DR’s motive for including that odd detail is to have an explanation at to why his scent or presence was detected near the mailbox where the abduction took place. He lives there, why would he feel the need to justify it?? Just sayin’

The Bahner Tapes as promoted by Stearn Truth on YouTube featured the first names of 5 characters, three of which were the Bahners, and their names and criminal records were well documented. We've recently uncovered Lou's full name as Lou Kohls.

The other name in the tapes was Ben - he was the one laying in the ditch and claims to have witnessed Jacob's abduction by two men. His name is Ben Bina, and he has a considerably long rap sheet. According to the June 25, 1999 St. Cloud Times, prison inmate Ben Bina had told television station KSTP that he saw two men and a vehicle near where Jacob was taken. Sheriff Jim Kostreba is quoted as saying "All those leads have been extensively investigated in the past. I knew where the (KSTP reporter) was getting his information from, and it was unreliable."

I've stated before that I have little faith that the Bahner tapes were legitimate, and with this information I now believe they're a fabrication. Sad, but true, IMO. I believe that Ben Bina was trying to get a prison sentence reduced in exchange for information regarding Jacob's abduction. Whether or not Diane M. was a co-conspirator to the fabrication, or was just suckered in, I do not know.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I believe it to be true. I think we can cross the whole Bahner thing off the list.

For one theory about the "cars", see my post from Oct 1st below. Keep in mind that LE's focus on the car (Kevin) over the years was due to one eyewitness account (Dan Rassier's) of seeing a car in his driveway around the time of the abduction.
(snipped by me)

Thanks ELOCsoul for the reminder post of Oct 1, 2013...I do remember it. I did not know that LE's focus on a vehicular abduction was based upon DR's eyewitness account of seeing a car in his driveway. I had assumed that LE's focus was based upon tire tracks in that they had identified every set of tracks EXCEPT Kevin's. Physical evidence versus testimonial evidence.

The Bahner Tapes as promoted by Stearn Truth on YouTube featured the first names of 5 characters, three of which were the Bahners, and their names and criminal records were well documented. We've recently uncovered Lou's full name as Lou Kohls.

The other name in the tapes was Ben - he was the one laying in the ditch and claims to have witnessed Jacob's abduction by two men. His name is Ben Bina, and he has a considerably long rap sheet. According to the June 25, 1999 St. Cloud Times, prison inmate Ben Bina had told television station KSTP that he saw two men and a vehicle near where Jacob was taken. Sheriff Jim Kostreba is quoted as saying "All those leads have been extensively investigated in the past. I knew where the (KSTP reporter) was getting his information from, and it was unreliable."

I've stated before that I have little faith that the Bahner tapes were legitimate, and with this information I now believe they're a fabrication. Sad, but true, IMO. I believe that Ben Bina was trying to get a prison sentence reduced in exchange for information regarding Jacob's abduction. Whether or not Diane M. was a co-conspirator to the fabrication, or was just suckered in, I do not know.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I believe it to be true. I think we can cross the whole Bahner thing off the list.

ELOCsoul...it's amazing that you've tracked down these names! But I'm wondering...where did you find that Ben was laying in the ditch? I posted a transcription of Ben's audio interview with DM(8-5-2013, post # 126, thread #5) and he does not mention that he is in the ditch. And how is it that DM was able to get an interview w/ Ben? And did his prison sentence get reduced for the interview? If so, who had the power to grant that reduction?

I don't think Ben ever claimed to have witnessed Jacob's abduction....only to have seen the B brothers emerging from the woods(before the abduction) near the abduction site while he was on his way home...AND to have seen Jacob, Aaron, Trevor near the Tom Thumb. This logistical sequence was discussed on WS.

For one theory about the "cars", see my post from Oct 1st below. Keep in mind that LE's focus on the car (Kevin) over the years was due to one eyewitness account (Dan Rassier's) of seeing a car in his driveway around the time of the abduction.
(snipped by me)

Thanks ELOCsoul for the reminder post of Oct 1, 2013...I do remember it. I did not know that LE's focus on a vehicular abduction was based upon DR's eyewitness account of seeing a car in his driveway. I had assumed that LE's focus was based upon tire tracks in that they had identified every set of tracks EXCEPT Kevin's. Physical evidence versus testimonial evidence.

I believe what LE said was they had identified every vehicle in the neighborhood that had been brought to their attention - not necessarily did they identify all the tracks. I'm sure they did focus on the most fresh of the tracks. On a dirt / gravel road I suppose there could have been several sets of tracks on various places of the driveway, including up by the house where the 3 cars turned around.

ELOCsoul...it's amazing that you've tracked down these names! But I'm wondering...where did you find that Ben was laying in the ditch? I posted a transcription of Ben's audio interview with DM(8-5-2013, post # 126, thread #5) and he does not mention that he is in the ditch. And how is it that DM was able to get an interview w/ Ben? And did his prison sentence get reduced for the interview? If so, who had the power to grant that reduction?

I could be wrong about Ben lying in the ditch, but somewhere in this story someone was lying in the ditch, weren't they? Maybe it was the Bahner brothers?

Diane was a bail bonds person - I'm sure she got to know a lot of prison inmates. I doubt that his sentence was reduced based on the fact LE investigated and found it to be a hoax. Keep in mind that what is on the tapes is likely not the whole "story". Just because he didn't tell Diane M about seeing the two men taking Jacob, doesn't mean he didn't tell LE. From the article, it says he told a KSTP reporter.

ELOCsoul,

thanks for the clarifications....I appreciate it!

I believe this Ben person claimed to have seen the Bahner brothers at the abduction site the day of the abduction. I am not sure if I am going to totally discount all the tapes because of their record of child sexual assault, but it does make it much less believable. Ech. I wonder if the Wetterlings knew there were so many undesireables living close to them.

I could be wrong about Ben lying in the ditch, but somewhere in this story someone was lying in the ditch, weren't they? Maybe it was the Bahner brothers?

Diane was a bail bonds person - I'm sure she got to know a lot of prison inmates. I doubt that his sentence was reduced based on the fact LE investigated and found it to be a hoax. Keep in mind that what is on the tapes is likely not the whole "story". Just because he didn't tell Diane M about seeing the two men taking Jacob, doesn't mean he didn't tell LE. From the article, it says he told a KSTP reporter.

IMO, no one was lying in a ditch (except possibly whoever made the sound that Aaron heard on his way to the store.) We have heard about the B brothers coming "up out of the ditch." cGorg transcribed the "Ben" tape back on 8/13 (thread 5, post #126):

08-05-2013, 10:27 PM
cGorg
route
The 'tapes' are back up on YouTube....I translated the one featuring Ben the eyewitness. Let me know if I've missed any words or utterances.

Ben: and uh...about eight....uh twenty to nine I uh got ready to go home and I looked up the road towards where Jacob and them were...uh...where they got kidnapped.
Interviewer: yeh
Ben: and uh...I seen...uh...Michael and Richard and they were coming up out of the woods.... right into the big tall grass.
Interviewer: ah ah
Ben:....up out of the ditch. And that's what I seen before I went down the hill to go home. And then uh..I....
Interviewer: was that right...was that right by the site?
Ben: yeh. It's right by where he got kidnapped.
Interviewer: ah ah
Ben: and...uh...I seen Jacob, and Aaron, and his little brother Trevor when me and my dad were coming back from the Tom Thumb that night. We seen them going to Tom Thumb. But they must have....they came up the other way coming back to Tom Thumb up the hill.
Interviewer: hmm hmm
Ben: the next day I heard that he got kidnapped.
Interviewer: and you knew the Bahners were down there in the ditch when you left?
Ben: yep
Interviewer: and that was about what....twenty to nine?
Ben: yep...twenty to nine

According to this, Ben was leaving someone's home walking, when he looked UP the road toward the abduction site. He saw the Bahner brothers come out of the woods, into the tall grass and coming up out of the ditch. Then later, when he was in a car with his dad returning from the Tom Thumb store, he saw the 3 boys on their way TO the store. He says he did not see them coming back, because they must have gone the "other way" which seems to imply that Ben lived right on 91st/15th Ave. (Because he would have seen them from his house if they had come back the same way they went to the store.) There was sort of a rectangular "loop" from the Tom Thumb store back to 91st - the boys may have gone to the store one way, and come back on the other side of that loop.

I'm not sure these stories can be totally discounted either. It would have been nice if DM hadn't interrupted so much, or put words in the heads of those she was interviewing, but I think some of this may be accurate. Ben may have seen "someone" and just assumed it was the B brothers by their silhouettes, because it would have already been dark by 9.

There is also a transcript of the MB interview here:
http://www.joybaker.com/wp-content/2013/07/StearnTruth_MichaelBahnerInterview.pdf
if you want to look it over without having to try and listen to it. I'm curious about the "Wes Underwood" reference right near the end of that one. The handcuffing sounds like some cop who may have been harassing the B brothers??

Good find on Ben's last name, ELOCsoul!

Here is some of Ben's record - just from Stearns County:
https://www.clickcomplete.com/jail/...q_key=10050&action=inmate_list&LastCriteria=3

Last Name First Name Middle Name Gender Age Booking Date Race
BINA BEN EDWARD Male 27 01/17/2005 White
BINA BEN EDWARD Male 25 09/30/2002 White
BINA BEN EDWARD Male 25 08/26/2002 White
BINA BEN EDWARD Male 25 08/12/2002 White
BINA BEN EDWARD Male 24 03/08/2002 White

(If the link above doesn't work, go to the stearns county past inmate search and type in Ben Edward Bina.)
https://www.clickcomplete.com/jail/default.cfm?PID=1.5

His booking photo:
<modsnip>

If you go to the MN site
http://pa.courts.state.mn.us/default.aspx
and search his name: (Click on criminal, on next page type in code shown, and pull down to defendent, type in name, click search) ...he has 48 separate case records for various offenses for such things as theft, drugs, check forgery, receiving stolen property, giving false names, several DUI, driving without license, damage to property, etc. So I'm not sure how reliable he would have been at 11.

Well that explains a lot! Thanks shergal + ELOCsoul for that information. I always wondered how anyone could have seen the B brothers coming up out of the ditch if they were in a car. But seeing now that Ben was 11 at the time and on foot then it makes sense. I guess the whole thing with the tapes is that DM is interviewing criminals and criminals lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl