MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. He was together enough to be working on a farm at the time of his arrest. He had it "together" enough to coerce kids to be near him after he sexually attacked them hundreds of times. Also the abduction attempts stopped after he went to jail in 1990. Stearns county and St Joseph's police department had never had to deal with an actual kidnapping before. Procedures were missed.

I'll grant you that the abduction attempts stopped after DAH's arrest, that's pretty solid.

But Jared's perp had a newer car. Could DAH have been able to afford a newer car with all his legal bills, DWI's, insurance, etc?? Also, Jared has said he looked at DAH and couldn't ID him as his kidnapper. Yet, Jared has a pretty clear memory of what happened, where it happened, the car, etc.

What would have brought DAH to St. Joseph that night? It's not like St. Joe's is all that close to Belgrade or Paynesville, depending on where DAH lived at the time. And the dead end road….it seems the perp had to know the area pretty well.

I'll grant you that the abduction attempts stopped after DAH's arrest, that's pretty solid.

But Jared's perp had a newer car. Could DAH have been able to afford a newer car with all his legal bills, DWI's, insurance, etc?? Also, Jared has said he looked at DAH and couldn't ID him as his kidnapper. Yet, Jared has a pretty clear memory of what happened, where it happened, the car, etc.

What would have brought DAH to St. Joseph that night? It's not like St. Joe's is all that close to Belgrade or Paynesville, depending on where DAH lived at the time. And the dead end road….it seems the perp had to know the area pretty well.

Maybe DAH and DR knew each other, through the Deutschmeisters band? If DAH was a heavy drinker he probably went to a lot of bars and clubs to drink, and their band did play at these smaller venues. Or perhaps they had another connection.

Maybe DAH and DR knew each other, through the Deutschmeisters band? If DAH was a heavy drinker he probably went to a lot of bars and clubs to drink, and their band did play at these smaller venues. Or perhaps they had another connection.

which brings up a question I've had in my mind for some time....if DAH is a viable suspect(and I believe he is -even though others here disagree given his drug + alcohol abuse) and he's in jail, LE has access to him, then why is DR the POI? If there was/is a connection it is an odd one.

which brings up a question I've had in my mind for some time....if DAH is a viable suspect(and I believe he is -even though others here disagree given his drug + alcohol abuse) and he's in jail, LE has access to him, then why is DR the POI? If there was/is a connection it is an odd one.

Yes I agree. DAH was a suspect early on but was brushed aside as a prime suspect. I'm sure LE has revisited him over the years, yet never named him as a POI or suspect.

Good point. Because it would be so much easier if all LE wanted was to "just solve the case and end this" as DR claims in his interviews (by asking him to just confess) to pin it on the already convicted guy in Moose Lake who had several similar convictions.

As far as DAH drinking in bars, I bet not. People who drink in bars have money and there is no way that DAH had money.

People who are alcoholics as bad as DAH must be want and need the booze and sure don't want to waste it in a bar.

A farm hand does not need much on the ball. It seems like DAH must have been in school in special education programs. So, he has cognitive deficiencies. If he was drinking heavily since age 6, there is no way that his brain has not been affected.

In addition, it is said that alcoholics remain in the state of development of when they started drinking. So DAH must be like a six year old emotionally. He did pass a driver's test, but I know a lot of people who have lower IQ's that have passed the test.

I went over the FBI profile of an abductor versus a non abductor pedophile again from the link mossad provided. What if DR knows who did it, but is afraid to "snitch" because the person who did it has dirt on DR? And he threatened to turn DR in if he snitched? If someone else figures out who did it, he may be safe from the perp spilling what they know. DR's story changes so often and it seems like he thrives on the attention being a suspect brings. Kind of unusual. DR fits the non-abductor pedophile pretty closely, but not the abductor type.
DAH fits the abductor pedophile profile to a T.
DAH could have been borrowing his mother's car or a friends'.

I can't be sure, but according to an article in the Wednesday November 29, 1989 St. Cloud Times (paraphrased, below):

At the end of November, a man who had been questioned in connection to Jacob's abduction was involved in a standoff with Sheriff's deputies. The man, who was in his 50's, had resembled a sketch of the man seen at the Tom Thumb store about the time of the abduction. He also resembled the man seen at the store two weeks later. The man barricaded himself in his home on Crestview Drive in the Pleasant Acres Addition of St. Joseph. He threatened to shoot himself or anyone trying to enter his home. Sheriff Charlie Grafft reported the man was taken into custody at 9:00 am Wednesday November 29th. He was taken to St. Cloud Hospital for observation for 72 hours for mental instability. Authorities said the man had not been ruled out in the abduction but was not a prime suspect.

ELOCsoul....WOW! Great find.....whatever became of the man? Do you know? That man created so much creepiness + mystery to the case.....his statement + presence generated such a diversion...I wondered how he was connected. He acted as if he knew. (Not sure if he was even connected)

Where is the info of what this guy said he knew? I do not see it in the info ELOC posted.

Things like this make me wonder more and more why DR is the only POI.

A respectable citizen. Why?????

Where is the info of what this guy said he knew? I do not see it in the info ELOC posted.

Things like this make me wonder more and more why DR is the only POI.

A respectable citizen. Why?????

human...I don't think he has any viability as a suspect. He's the old guy who stared at customers and also returned to the Tom Thumb 2 weeks to the day and said "they'll never find that boy". To me this diverted attention away from the case. It's noteworthy that ELOCsoul found an article stating LE actually identified the guy.

ELOCsoul....WOW! Great find.....whatever became of the man? Do you know? That man created so much creepiness + mystery to the case.....his statement + presence generated such a diversion...I wondered how he was connected. He acted as if he knew. (Not sure if he was even connected)

I called a friend who I used to work with who lived in St. Joe back in 1989 and asked him what he knew about this guy who had barricaded himself in his house. I figured he would know, because he lived near there, and in small towns everyone hears everything.

He said he couldn't remember the guy's name, but he remembered the incident. He said it was a guy who had some mental issues, possibly early dementia - although people weren't as aware of alzheimers and dementia back in 1989. They did a psych eval. on this guy, and he was eventually transferred from his home to a senior care center. His mind deteriorated further there and he died a few years later.

My friend told me he went on searches for Jacob, a month after Jacob was taken, they started from the south of the abduction area and had one person every 12 or 15 ft. in a line and they walked almost all the way to Cold Spring! He said he was praying nothing would turn up in his path, he had young kids of his own back then, and thought it would be awful if he stumbled across anything. He said there were some areas that were swamp that they couldn't go through, so they went around those, but otherwise they covered that entire area on foot. In addition, he said one year later in early winter, when there was less leaves on the ground, they searched again, this time to the West, all the way down to Mill's Fleet. They were accompanied then by those sheriff's searchers on horseback.

He said over the years he heard rumors of various suspects, but nothing concrete except for "that loner guy on the farm at the abduction spot." I mentioned DR's name, and he said "No one in town really knew him very well. He kind of stuck to himself." He also said, "I feel sorry for the guy if he didn't do it, but if he did do it, or helped someone do it, how did they get Jacob out of there so fast?"

I also asked him about the priests from St. Joe (specifically Tom Gillespie and Brennan Maiers) and he said when that all came out, it was a real shock to their community and their church. He said he was good friends with one of those priests, they volunteered together each year at the 4th of July Festival serving the dinners. And he would never have believed that priest was capable of something like that. It shook his faith. He said it was a shame those few priests had tarnished both the church in St. Joe and St. John's reputation.

I just thought I'd pass that along, because it's interesting to get the view of people who lived there back then.

I have been to Bayfield.

It is very difficult as the road is so curvy to drive. It takes a long time to get there

Have the islands and 20" into the sides of the curvy road ever been searched?

Keep in mind that remains at this point would be spread out and covered with debris.

If someone would post coordinates for Google, I'll take a look at the terrain.

Have the islands and 20" into the sides of the curvy road ever been searched?

Keep in mind that remains at this point would be spread out and covered with debris.

If someone would post coordinates for Google, I'll take a look at the terrain.

I think this was just a "guess" by human based on some tarot card readings that were posted here, Trackergd. If you were going to do that, another likely place that would match the "money" in the name, "bay" in the name and "two islands" - would be Silver Bay, MN. I'm sure others can think of similar cities that would apply. And I think tarot readers purposely make their readings "generic" to fit a lot of places. (JMO)

You can just type Bayfield, WI or Silver Bay, MN into google maps and it will take you right there.

No, not me with Bayfield and the Tarot! I posted that I have been there. It is a huge huge huge huge huge tourist destination for many reasons.

One is the Bayfiled Apple festival. It is beautiful there, but the road is soooooooo curvy so a short distance takes a long time to drive

There are islands all over. How about the Apostle islands or Madeleine Island or Door County or Lake Vermillion or Island Lake orrrrrrrrr??? So many choices.

He said over the years he heard rumors of various suspects, but nothing concrete except for "that loner guy on the farm at the abduction spot." I mentioned DR's name, and he said "No one in town really knew him very well. He kind of stuck to himself." He also said, "I feel sorry for the guy if he didn't do it, but if he did do it, or helped someone do it, how did they get Jacob out of there so fast?"
I just thought I'd pass that along, because it's interesting to get the view of people who lived there back then.

(snipped by me)

This is something that hasn't been discussed in detail that I'm aware of (some speculation but nothing complete) and that is the moments immediately after the abduction...so little is known of this time frame. After the man abducted Jacob, just where is it possible that he took him? We know from the timeline that there was sufficient time before LE arrived on the scene. However, from the perp's point of view it may have seemed that time was of the essence as 2 boys were running home and certainly the authorities would be alerted ASAP. Given these facts, if on foot, where could the perp have taken Jacob? Certainly there's many buildings on the farmstead and we know the farmhouse was not searched that night. But the perp would not know that LE would not search the farmHOUSE that night. Since Jacob's scent ended at the footprints 40 yards from the abduction site this means he would have been carried somewhere. And if he was carried somewhere, the perp would have had to have known that this place was ultimately secure OR take a risk. DR himself stated on Esme Murphy's interview that he told Officer Bechtold that he(DR) would take a look at the outbuildings. I'm wondering if LE actually looked at any of those outbuildings that night since they didn't investigate the house or if they relied on DR's search. However, DR has also stated that LE had free access to the farmstead the day and days afterwards. If this is the case, then Jacob was transported out of that area after the abduction OR he was held somewhere on that farmstead which was undetectable to LE. In either case, his presence became unknown very very quickly.

Just wanted to note that you folks have dug up more information in the last year than any other resource. Who knew the area was pedophile central and that there were similar cases in the general area? One can only hope that all of this will eventually lead to Jacobs abductor and an answer. I hope that if all this information were collated and handed over to the media, that it would force LE to share information between departments and outside resources to solve this case, and possibly others.

There is a key piece missing, but I am pretty sure one of you is going to trip over it and all H-E double hockey sticks is gona ensue. If nothing else, you will have shone a glaring light upon lack of interdepartmental sharing of information.

I am still stuck on why LE will not share the photographs. As evidence goes, it's not that big a deal and does not point a glaring finger, at least not to the untrained eye. Seems kind of odd to me. What is needed is some pressure on them to share. Media, State Legislature or Congressional.

I can't be certain this was the man, but I think it's pretty likely. I've reviewed the next few weeks of articles and the only sketch printed was of the man related to Jareds case. I think that was the man at the Tom Thumb, it's just not spelled out, like so many things in this case.

Cgorg, if Jacob was picked up and carried, I would think that the bloodhounds would still pick up the scent. To me, the absence of footprints and scent means he was put in a vehicle. But I am not 100% on that.

Trackergd, in my opinion and my experience, Stearns County Sheriff does not like to share data, talk to victims families (esp in Josh Guimond case), work on cold cases or admit they messed up investigations. They also had a deputy who was arrested for child sex abuse for giving teen girls alcohol and molesting them. They could be hiding people, a part of the group who took him or covering up information. The FBI was involved at one point, but I don't think they are involved anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hell Yeah