MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ben is the about the same age as Jacob, I thought the information was obtained by LE in 1989 from Ben and his dad and that they saw the B bros. and LK on their way to the convenience store that Jacob went to, not when he wanted to get off of some crime when he was an adult. Am I wrong on that? I know he has been arrested several times in years past in Granite Falls MN, I don't know if he still lives in Granite.

I can't be certain of exactly when Ben told LE about the Bahner brothers & Lou. But in 1999 it was in the news. See excerpts from prior posts, below:

01-01-2014, 08:56 PM

Smile Ben - The Final Name from the Bahner Tapes
The Bahner Tapes as promoted by Stearn Truth on YouTube featured the first names of 5 characters, three of which were the Bahners, and their names and criminal records were well documented. We've recently uncovered Lou's full name as Lou Kohls.

The other name in the tapes was Ben - he was the one laying in the ditch and claims to have witnessed Jacob's abduction by two men. His name is Ben Bina, and he has a considerably long rap sheet. According to the June 25, 1999 St. Cloud Times, prison inmate Ben Bina had told television station KSTP that he saw two men and a vehicle near where Jacob was taken. Sheriff Jim Kostreba is quoted as saying "All those leads have been extensively investigated in the past. I knew where the (KSTP reporter) was getting his information from, and it was unreliable."

I've stated before that I have little faith that the Bahner tapes were legitimate, and with this information I now believe they're a fabrication. Sad, but true, IMO. I believe that Ben Bina was trying to get a prison sentence reduced in exchange for information regarding Jacob's abduction. Whether or not Diane M. was a co-conspirator to the fabrication, or was just suckered in, I do not know.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I believe it to be true. I think we can cross the whole Bahner thing off the list

02-26-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
(snipped by me) The Lou from the Bahner tapes was identified but not from media documentation that could be referenced. Ben Bina was identified in media reports that I referenced, but I could not provide a link to or post the article itself. (I think I'm understanding correctly that articles cannot be scanned to WS unless accompanied by a link?)

In any case, the whole Bahner tapes thing was investigated by LE and discredited. Bina was interviewed on KSTP right after a television show called "Vanished", which opened with a segment about Jacob Wetterling.

On the MN Court site, if you search by defendant, Ben had an extensive record which started in 1995 when he was 18. He may have had previous records not shown on the court site because he would have been a juvenile before 1995. Ben was born in 1977, so he was one year older than Jacob.

I just copied a small portion of his arrests here, he had 48 counts since he turned 18. He is now 36.

Case Number Citation Number Defendant Info Filed/Location/Judicial Officer Type/Status Charge(s)
49-K0-95-000786
BINA, BEN EDWARD
05/12/1977
08/18/1995
Morrison
Widick, Paul E.
Felony
Converted Closed
Damage to Prop-1st Deg-Forseeable Risk Bodily Harm
Damage to Prop-1st Deg-Public Util/Common Carrier
Theft-Obtain Services-No Payment
05-T8-96-000008
S 027517
BINA, BEN EDWARD
05/12/1977
01/02/1996
Benton
Knapp, Thomas P.
Moving - Misdemeanor
Converted Closed
DAR
73-T3-96-007382
ST 197309
ST 197309
ST 197309
BINA, BEN EDWARD
06/19/1996
06/27/1996
Stearns
Hayden, Elizabeth A.
Non- Traffic Misdemeanor
Converted Closed
OBSTRUCT LEGAL PROCESS
POSS DRUG PARAPHENALIA
NO PROOF INS
73-T7-96-015758
ST 202592
ST 2002592
BINA, BEN EDWARD
05/12/1977
11/21/1996
Stearns
Non- Traffic Misdemeanor
Converted Closed
(TCIS Amended Charge) D/O CONDUCT
DISORDERLY CONDUCT
73-T2-96-017112
ST 217346
BINA, BEN EDWARD
05/12/1977
12/31/1996
Stearns
Boland, Bernard E.
Non- Traffic Misdemeanor
Converted Closed
THEFT
73-T6-97-002834
ST 217810
BINA, BEN EDWARD
05/12/1977
03/19/1997
Stearns
Non- Traffic Misdemeanor
Converted Closed
(TCIS Amended Charge) THEFT
48-K8-97-000756
K897000756
K897000756
K897000756
BINA, BEN EDWARD
05/12/1977
08/14/1997
Mille Lacs
Knapp, Thomas P.
Felony
Converted Closed
AID BURGLARY-1ST DEGREE Aid/Abet - GOC
AID BURGLARY-2ND DEGREE Aid/Abet - GOC
(TCIS Amended Charge) CONVICTED FELON/POSS/GUN Not applicable - GOC
05-K8-98-001213
BINA, BEN EDWARD
05/12/1977
10/26/1998
Benton
Hoolihan, James W.
Felony
Converted Closed
(TCIS Amended Charge) OFFERING FORGED CHECK Not applicable - GOC
55-K4-99-000487
BINA, BEN EDWARD
05/12/1977
02/18/1999
Olmsted
Felony
Converted Closed
(TCIS Amended Charge) THEFT Aid/Abet - GOC
SOLICITATION OF JUVENLIE Not applicable - GOC
(TCIS Amended Charge) DAR Not applicable - GOC

Go to this link:
http://pa.courts.state.mn.us/default.aspx

Click on Criminal Records, change case number to defendant, and type in his name. You have to type the code at top of page in order to see records.

Im not trying to defend DR here or anything but is this alleged friendship with a convicted child molestor actually true or was it forced by the child molestor? Let me make myself a little more clear here, what im saying is, is it possible that the child molestor was the one that seeked out DR on fb because of his knowledge of the case? Did DR just unknowingly accept this strangers friends request? Or is it proven there was an actual relationship? If it was a relationship, then we have a big problem on our hands.

I remember reading about DR saying several cars had turned around in his driveway that day. I also found a statement where he actually called 911 that night about a car pulling into his driveway. Anyone else find it odd, if true, that though he stated several vehicles had come into the driveway, one of them he called 911. I wonder what time that was. I wonder if he wasn't setting up his story at the time he made that phone call.

Note: It was the Nancy Grace show in 2004 that Natisha Lance stated (who is the producer of the show, from Minneapolis) "He called police and reported a car that was turning around in his driveway. His parents were out of town that night that Jacob was abducted. He was home alone."

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1102/28/ng.01.html

I remember reading about DR saying several cars had turned around in his driveway that day. I also found a statement where he actually called 911 that night about a car pulling into his driveway. Anyone else find it odd, if true, that though he stated several vehicles had come into the driveway, one of them he called 911. I wonder what time that was. I wonder if he wasn't setting up his story at the time he made that phone call.

Note: It was the Nancy Grace show in 2004 that Natisha Lance stated (who is the producer of the show, from Minneapolis) "He called police and reported a car that was turning around in his driveway. His parents were out of town that night that Jacob was abducted. He was home alone."

I'm not sure that's accurate, I think DR called 911 because he saw flashlights around his wood pile. But I read the entire transcript and had a couple thoughts pop up:

What ever became of the movie the boys rented and the flashlights?

The sheriff said there were tire tracks at the very end of the driveway, not all the way up.

The boys didn't have school the next day, but DR did (this was when he was pulled out of class to search his vehicle.) These are two separate school districts, so it isn't that odd I guess. But the fact that DR was up until all hours of the night, and then having to work the next day makes me wonder if he went to bed at all!

I'm not sure that's accurate, I think DR called 911 because he saw flashlights around his wood pile. But I read the entire transcript and had a couple thoughts pop up:

What ever became of the movie the boys rented and the flashlights?

The sheriff said there were tire tracks at the very end of the driveway, not all the way up.

The boys didn't have school the next day, but DR did (this was when he was pulled out of class to search his vehicle.) These are two separate school districts, so it isn't that odd I guess. But the fact that DR was up until all hours of the night, and then having to work the next day makes me wonder if he went to bed at all!

There are photos of the bikes in the ditch the next day with the bags from Tom Thumb still there. (see below) There was candy in them and the movie. I would imagine the movie was eventually returned to Tom Thumb once it was checked for fingerprints. I'm not sure if LE would keep the flashlights and bags as evidence, or would have returned the flashlights to the Wetterlings at some point. Jacob had been riding Patty's bike, so I think they would have returned the bikes to the families after they had photographed and examined them.

bikes.jpg

http://www.deadzoom.com/member/samiping/bikes.jpg

Shay asks a good question, what happened to the flashlights and movie? It is information just like this that LE could release more info on to keep the discussion going. And to keep the pressure on.

It is not a far stretch to imagine DR himself is reading here in light of his particular interest and seeming obsession with the case.

Guilty or innocent of something if a group of people was regularly talking about me on the internet, I would be checking it out as well; it is really human nature. Ever Googled your own name?

Dan, we want to believe you, stop waiting and join us now in our discussions. we accept that you are innocent until proven guilty. The fact you're even reading this says you want to help. Join us now, help us find Jacob.

Dan, we want to believe you, stop waiting and join us now in our discussions. we accept that you are innocent until proven guilty. The fact you're even reading this says you want to help. Join us now, help us find Jacob.

above BBM

Maybe I wasn't clear. I did not say it was fact that DR is reading here. I said it wouldn't be a stretch if he was. As VTravis said, if someone on the interwebs was constantly discussing me, and my name came up in literally hundreds of links using variations of dozens of different search queries, I'd be reading on those sites too. That said, we have no proof whatsoever that he is, in fact, reading here.

VTravis - I never had. I just did though! I'm an extremely private person due to my past and current employment positions. I found nothing for pages and pages that were related to me in any way shape or form - thousands of same name come up - but alas none are me. Thank jeebuz! ::smiles::

On the other hand, I have a friend who had one image reported one time and his account was immediately closed and he could not rectify it with FB even to this day, he ultimately created another account.

How immediately? FB asked for the documentation. Then they check it out.

I am sure they have tons of people that are reported all of the time.

They also have to be careful as to what they do, making sure it is appropriate.

I would like more info on your friend's experience.

I think maybe there is a difference in the two situations referred to here as far as FB banning goes. In one instance, a convicted registered sex offender was on FB and FB admin needed documentation in order to remove the page of the offender. In VTravis' friend's case, there was an image posted that was reported and, apparently due to the circumstances of the image, it was removed and the friend was banned. Images garner a whole new lightning speed type of response from FB, I know that for sure. My neice once posted a photo of her children playing outside in a wading pool. The youngest (who was one) had removed her diaper and thus her little hiney was showing in the photo. Someone reported it and she, too, was banned.

There are photos of the bikes in the ditch the next day with the bags from Tom Thumb still there. (see below) There was candy in them and the movie. I would imagine the movie was eventually returned to Tom Thumb once it was checked for fingerprints. I'm not sure if LE would keep the flashlights and bags as evidence, or would have returned the flashlights to the Wetterlings at some point. Jacob had been riding Patty's bike, so I think they would have returned the bikes to the families after they had photographed and examined them.

bikes.jpg

http://www.deadzoom.com/member/samiping/bikes.jpg

Patty's bike re-appeared in one of the later news articles. It was photographed on its own at the abduction site-very poignant + longing. Thx for posting these pictures again...but I don't like looking at them. Little boys with bags of candy + a movie...the height of innocence. An interrupted journey by a soulless, remorseless perp. Has anyone noticed the irony of the movie they rented? Naked Gun and the name of the link to these pictures: deadzoom. I'm not implying anything other than it's unfortunate.

I think you have a few misconceptions of details above(very easy to do as these reporters seem to be very inconsistent) but I think Shay addressed those in post#875. My post is related to your link of transcripts(thx!) from the Nancy Grace show. Quoting verbatim: "VOICE OF JOHN SANNER, STEARNS COUNTY SHERIFF: Yes. We were able to capture at least one footprint that we believe belonged to Jacob Wetterling." That struck me. ONE footprint in 120 feet (40 yards). I have always pictured the perp dragging Jacob on foot eastward for that 40 yards leaving a trail of footprints.

And reading further on the transcript + Quoting verbatim: "DAN HOROWITZ, DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Right. And you know, I called the Rassier home today, and I spoke to his mother. He wasn't taking calls. And she seems just dumbfounded as to what is going on, but he on ther other hand, Daniel, seems very, very odd. You know, when he was asked about those news articles in a press interview, why do you have all those articles about this young boy missing?

His answer wasn't, well, I'm concerned, he was a neighbor. His answer was, well, I'm a pack rat. And he's given a lot of odd answers. He could be a very strange man, but it does--it's highly suspicious.

QUOTE]

(snipped by me)

Do you have a link or documentation of this? Just curious.

I reported a registered sex offender on Facebook, and his account was gone within a couple of hours. He didn't use his full name on Facebook, but the mug shot and rap sheet made it easy to figure out it was him.

I think you have a few misconceptions of details above(very easy to do as these reporters seem to be very inconsistent) but I think Shay addressed those in post#875. My post is related to your link of transcripts(thx!) from the Nancy Grace show. Quoting verbatim: "VOICE OF JOHN SANNER, STEARNS COUNTY SHERIFF: Yes. We were able to capture at least one footprint that we believe belonged to Jacob Wetterling." That struck me. ONE footprint in 120 feet (40 yards). I have always pictured the perp dragging Jacob on foot eastward for that 40 yards leaving a trail of footprints.

Interesting. I wonder if the perp had Jacob in the grassy area going up the driveway, and Jacob stepped out into the driveway as if to leave a trail??

Interesting. I wonder if the perp had Jacob in the grassy area going up the driveway, and Jacob stepped out into the driveway as if to leave a trail??

Its possible thst Jacob got loose for a second and tried getting back onto the driveway.

I reported a registered sex offender on Facebook, and his account was gone within a couple of hours. He didn't use his full name on Facebook, but the mug shot and rap sheet made it easy to figure out it was him.

Strange. I had back and forth with FB. Them asking for the documentation. Me waiting for weeks for a response from them.

I have been reading the Joy Baker Blog when I come across this paragraph and question from Joy to the public, I would like to answer for her-

"Assume for a moment that Dan DID take Jacob. The police dogs tracked Jacob’s scent to the middle of the driveway, but no further. If Dan had walked Jacob ANYWHERE onto his property… into the house, into an outbuilding, into an underground bunker… those dogs would have picked up the scent. (And really… how could a busy schoolteacher who teaches music lessons on the side and belongs to a weekend polka band find the time to build an underground bunker?)" Quote Joy Baker.

Joy,

Dan had 34 years to build the bunker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members