MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, that won't work in this case. That works when officers are in gang territory and they are confronted by someone who may resemble a gang member and thus may have a gun in their waistband, and an open warrant etc...

Juries tend to believe officers when they have valid reasons they would feel threatened. But in this case, no way...
What? Philando wasn't in gang territory. Neither were most of the black men who were unarmed and killed by police. Do you mean when they are in a black neighborhood it works this way?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I really hope that this is not going there. Average citizen was startled, average citizen spends life without parole behind bars..
I was startled by a huge spider the other day. I rapidly pulled away from the table it landed on. I didn't shoot it

RSBM

Other news sources state she was STANDING at the side of the police car-- talking to them. WHY shoot her ??
Makes zero sense !!
Baffling case.
So sad Justine lost her life due to an officers' incompetence--- and usually I try to support cops !!!!!!
:moo:

No, the officer has to set forth reasons that he felt threatened. And in this case, so far, there is no evidence to justify any feelings of being threatened.
Others have gotten away with it. They just made up reasons.

What? Philando wasn't in gang territory. Neither were most of the black men who were unarmed and killed by police. Do you mean when they are in a black neighborhood it works this way?

What happened to Philando Castile was wrong, just as wrong as this case, IMO.

But there has to be more than just something in someones hand.

In other cases where cops mistook a cell for a gun, they were trying to detain or arrest a fleeing suspect, who would turn towards them, holding a metallic object...in a case like that, it is more understandable.

But this woman was not a fleeing suspect, was not an adversary, etc.
No, it doesn't. Have you read any of the other threads where police have been acquitted with no real threat?

It is not clear if Justine startled the officers as she approached the driver's side door, but sources say the officer in the passenger seat fired his weapon across his partner, killing the spiritual counselor and yoga instructor. She was not armed.

http://www.fox9.com/news/268608897-story

This is mind boggling, how can they not know by now, exactly what, how and why this happened.

This pushed me into the dash cams; http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ting-california-teen-ground-article-1.2701890. Philander Castle is why my legally armed oldest puts both arms out of the window when he gets stopped.
I'm a short, middle aged white lady. I got pulled over a few years ago and sat with my hands prominently placed on the steering wheel, fingers splayed. The officer asked me why I was holding my hands like that and I responded, "so you know I don't have a weapon." he stared at my panicked, crying face for a second, then thanked me in a very calm and appreciative-sounding tone. Sure it looked weird but I lived to tell the tale, unscathed except for the speeding ticket which I deserved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

Really should not even go down this road but have you seen the dash cam video of Castilles death? Yanez (officer that shot him) is clearly out of control, he is in a complete panic when he fires his weapon. In his own words he had tunnel vision and did not hear Castile saying he wasn't reaching for the gun. It's a wrongful death no doubt, and Yanez has the wrong temperament for a cop, but IMHO there is little debate that Yanez felt threatened. He FREAKS.

I hope we can get some video or audio of this shooting so we can stop debating hypotheticals....

It doesn't mattter. If he says he felt threatened, he is justified in using deadly force to eliminate the threat. He could say she looked like a demon possessed( exactly what Darren Wilson said about Mike Brown) and no indictment... justifiable use of force. That is the power you give LEO in the USofA

Better make sure you hire good people to fill those positions of authority.

Mike Brown shoved Wilson back into his patrol car when he first opened the door, and then punched him in the face and tried grappling for his gun. So Wilson had good reason to describe him in that fashion...imo.

Mike Brown shoved Wilson back into his patrol car when he first opened the door, and then punched him in the face and tried grappling for his gun. So Wilson had good reason to describe him in that fashion...imo.

While I don't want to argue whether Brown's shooting was justified.....I, also, don't think the 2 situations are remotely comparable.....she had not just committed robbery, she did not try to take an officer's gun (that we are aware of....I get it....we know nothing). MOO

You do know that people behave this way with the police and don't get killed, right? Here, and in other countries. I'm not saying it's right, but killing someone should be a very last option.

Did I say that in every case they were in gang territory?

Did I say that in every case they were in gang territory?
No, you did not. Here's what you said:

That works when officers are in gang territory and they are confronted by someone who may resemble a gang member and thus may have a gun in their waistband, and an open warrant etc...

I simply pointed out that the majority of these cases are not gang related or in gang territory. So I'm wondering where you get that idea. The majority of them (proportionally) are black men. So I was wondering if you meant black neighborhoods.

You do know that people behave this way with the police and don't get killed, right? Here, and in other countries. I'm not saying it's right, but killing someone should be a very last option.

But at least in that case common sense would tell us that the officer would have reason to fear for his life, and as the other poster said comparing that to a case like Philando or this one they just seem to be apples and oranges IMO..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But there has to be more than just something in someones hand.

In other cases where cops mistook a cell for a gun, they were trying to detain or arrest a fleeing suspect, who would turn towards them, holding a metallic object...in a case like that, it is more understandable.

But this woman was not a fleeing suspect, was not an adversary, etc.

You mean like a pencil?

So in other countries, if a cop stops someone to ask them to step on the sidewalk out of the traffic, and they person shoves the cop back into their car, and punches them in the face and tries to grab the gun, and then comes towards them, refusing to stop when directed to do so, at gun point, ---what do cops do? Do they run away ? Do they allow the perp to jump them and assault them again?

What do you suggest they do? If someone punches them in the head, tries to get their weapon and then comes at the again, what should they do?

No, you did not. Here's what you said:

That works when officers are in gang territory and they are confronted by someone who may resemble a gang member and thus may have a gun in their waistband, and an open warrant etc...

I simply pointed out that the majority of these cases are not gang related or in gang territory. So I'm wondering where you get that idea. The majority of them (proportionally) are black men. So I was wondering if you meant black neighborhoods.

I am not sure if it is true that the majority of police shootings are not gang related or in gang territory. Links?

While I don't want to argue whether Brown's shooting was justified.....I, also, don't think the 2 situations are remotely comparable.....she had not just committed robbery, she did not try to take an officer's gun (that we are aware of....I get it....we know nothing). MOO

That is why I think this officer will be charged with a criminal act. There was nothing [from what little we know so far] to make him think his life was in danger.

So in other countries, if a cop stops someone to ask them to step on the sidewalk out of the traffic, and they person shoves the cop back into their car, and punches them in the face and tries to grab the gun, and then comes towards them, refusing to stop when directed to do so, at gun point, ---what do cops do? Do they run away ? Do they allow the perp to jump them and assault them again?

What do you suggest they do? If someone punches them in the head, tries to get their weapon and then comes at the again, what should they do?
When I worked with adolescents who were locked in a facility, we didn't have guns (much like officers in other countries), we went through extensive training on how to de-escalate and safely physically restrain them. This is what trained professionals do.

I work with some European people, and they describe their officers not carrying guns and using their training and not just shooting people to death the second they feel afraid.

I do think there are times when it's necessary to shoot though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member