MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Big surprise. They were probably working on the appeal during the trial. Noor is in his cushy private prison cell, with a tv, library books, probably a computer, to help write his appeal, of course.

At least he isn't out on bond. Noor can do eight years in a heartbeat. He will still be alive. He will probably get some deal in four years, time served, good behavior, whatever.
Whatever. I just hope he won't win the appeal. He needs to carry the label of a convicted and jailed murderer, wherever he goes, for the rest of his life.

Big surprise. They were probably working on the appeal during the trial. Noor is in his cushy private prison cell, with a tv, library books, probably a computer, to help write his appeal, of course.

At least he isn't out on bond. Noor can do eight years in a heartbeat. He will still be alive. He will probably get some deal in four years, time served, good behavior, whatever.

He was transferred to the ND State Pen due to safety concerns. Wonder what happened to prompt the move? It's a maximum security prison.

Former Minneapolis cop convicted of murder moved to North Dakota State Penitentiary

“The fact that the court has continued to restrict the identity of the jurors is particularly strange in this case,” Halberg said. “While preventing media contact with jurors before and during a trial has some basis in the law, I can’t think of another instance where juror identity has been restricted after the trial is over for any reason other than juror safety. A concern with ‘harassment’ is arguably different than a concern with ‘safety.’”

The Minnesota Rules of Criminal Procedure give judges discretion in releasing juror information. Quaintance cited the rule in her decisions, noting that she “may restrict access to juror information as long as necessary to protect the jurors.”

Decisions made in the Noor case could set a precedent for other judges given its stature, Halberg said.

“Few trials have ever received the national and international attention as the Noor trial,” he said. “It is very reasonable to assume that the procedures followed in the Noor trial will be looked to by other courts in the future for guidance or suggestions for how to deal with high profile cases.”
Attorneys question third sealing of Mohamed Noor jury list

“The fact that the court has continued to restrict the identity of the jurors is particularly strange in this case,” Halberg said. “While preventing media contact with jurors before and during a trial has some basis in the law, I can’t think of another instance where juror identity has been restricted after the trial is over for any reason other than juror safety. A concern with ‘harassment’ is arguably different than a concern with ‘safety.’”

I applaud the judge-- there is a great need to protect jurors from the media and looney people out there

The Minnesota Rules of Criminal Procedure give judges discretion in releasing juror information. Quaintance cited the rule in her decisions, noting that she “may restrict access to juror information as long as necessary to protect the jurors.”

Decisions made in the Noor case could set a precedent for other judges given its stature, Halberg said.

“Few trials have ever received the national and international attention as the Noor trial,” he said. “It is very reasonable to assume that the procedures followed in the Noor trial will be looked to by other courts in the future for guidance or suggestions for how to deal with high profile cases.”

I applaud the judge for protecting the jurors in this way. This was a very high profile trial and you can be sure there are some angry folks out there. I also think the jurors should be protected from being hounded by the media. I hope to see this done more often.

I applaud the judge for protecting the jurors in this way. This was a very high profile trial and you can be sure there are some angry folks out there. I also think the jurors should be protected from being hounded by the media. I hope to see this done more often.
Jurors remain anonymous in Australia.

Justine’s fiancé worded the evil in Chauvin’s eyes perfectly.

Fired Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin had the relaxed look of “a sociopathic killer” drinking beer with mates as he pinned a dying George Floyd on the neck with a knee, the US fiance of murdered Australian life coach Justine Ruszczyk said.

Don Damond studied Chauvin’s face during the horrific arrest video that showed Mr Floyd struggling to breathe before his death.

“It’s like a sociopathic killer,” Mr Damond told the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

“There’s no remorse, no guilt, no anger. There’s nothing.

“It’s like he could be sitting there drinking a beer with his buddies.

“The look on his face was, ‘I’m just going to snuff this guy and not even bat an eye’.”
Justine Damond Ruszczyk's partner rips George Floyd's 'sociopath' killer

A divided Minnesota Court of Appeals on Monday upheld former Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor’s murder conviction in the 2017 shooting death of an unarmed Australian woman who had called 911 to report a possible sexual assault.

Noor is serving 12 1/2 years in prison in the death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond, whom he shot once in the stomach when she approached his patrol car in the alley behind her home.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported that Noor challenged his third-degree murder conviction, a charge applicable in cases “for perpetuating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind.”

Judges Louise Dovre Bjorkman and Michelle Larkin both ruled that Noor’s actions met the legal threshold for a “depraved mind” when he shot Damond from inside his patrol vehicle. But Judge Matthew Johnson disagreed, saying he would have reversed Noor’s murder conviction and sent his case for sentencing on the lesser second-degree manslaughter charge.
Minnesota Court of Appeals upholds Mohamed Noor’s conviction in Justine Ruszczyk Damond killing – Twin Cities

A divided Minnesota Court of Appeals on Monday upheld former Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor’s murder conviction in the 2017 shooting death of an unarmed Australian woman who had called 911 to report a possible sexual assault.

Noor is serving 12 1/2 years in prison in the death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond, whom he shot once in the stomach when she approached his patrol car in the alley behind her home.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported that Noor challenged his third-degree murder conviction, a charge applicable in cases “for perpetuating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind.”

Judges Louise Dovre Bjorkman and Michelle Larkin both ruled that Noor’s actions met the legal threshold for a “depraved mind” when he shot Damond from inside his patrol vehicle. But Judge Matthew Johnson disagreed, saying he would have reversed Noor’s murder conviction and sent his case for sentencing on the lesser second-degree manslaughter charge.
Minnesota Court of Appeals upholds Mohamed Noor’s conviction in Justine Ruszczyk Damond killing – Twin Cities

And a good thing that came out of this whole horrible affair .....

In a related development, the local mayor and police chief said Minneapolis officers would no longer be allowed to turn off their body-worn cameras to talk privately when responding to calls.
US cop who murdered Aussie loses appeal

This case, along with the death of George Floyd in May 2020, has resulted in changes to the use of body cameras for Minneapolis police officers.

How the Damond Ruszczyk trial unfolded:
Mohamed Noor's trial was marked by surprise witnesses, racial tensions and courtroom drama

As the guilty verdict was read, Mohamed Noor's wife started to weep. So did the family of the Australian woman he killed.

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey and Police Chief Medaria Arradondo announced on Monday that officers will no longer be allowed to turn off their body cameras to talk privately when they respond to calls.

"We've seen as a community and as a police force, body camera footage increasingly plays a crucial role in understanding critical events in our community," Mr Arradondo said in a statement.

The incident commander speaking to Noor after he shot Ms Damond Ruszczyk turned off her body camera.

Other officers told him not to say a word, according to prosecutors and court testimony.

Many responding officers turned their body cameras on and off at different times.
Former Minneapolis police officer loses appeal against murder conviction of Australian woman

Thank goodness judge Matthew Johnson was in the minority

I guess he doesn't have much else to do than pursue this all the way to the top. And he probably isn't having the best time of things while locked up.

For any others like me who cannot read JerseyGirl's linked article, this article says the appeal arguments will start to be heard on Monday.

It also says that whatever happens may also have implications in the upcoming trial of Derek Chauvin (George Floyd's killer).

Ex-cop appeals murder conviction to Minnesota Supreme Court - Austin Daily Herald

The Minnesota Supreme Court announced Monday it has agreed to review the third-degree murder conviction of former Minneapolis officer Mohamed Noor.

According to KARE 11's Lou Raguse, the Supreme Court will hear the case in June.

The Noor legal team is asking the Minnesota Supreme Court to revisit the necessary prerequisites for third-degree murder itself, while also seeking to have the court "sufficiently differentiate murder from manslaughter."

Minnesota Supreme Court to review Mohamed Noor's third-degree murder conviction | kvue.com

The Minnesota Supreme Court announced Monday it has agreed to review the third-degree murder conviction of former Minneapolis officer Mohamed Noor.

According to KARE 11's Lou Raguse, the Supreme Court will hear the case in June.

The Noor legal team is asking the Minnesota Supreme Court to revisit the necessary prerequisites for third-degree murder itself, while also seeking to have the court "sufficiently differentiate murder from manslaughter."

Minnesota Supreme Court to review Mohamed Noor's third-degree murder conviction | kvue.com

Oh dear! Hope they don't overturn it

I get that there is a process and there is a right to it but feel so bad for families of victims who must find it so difficult to move on. I’ve met Justines father a couple of times as he ran a Dimmocks bookstore and he seems like a lovely man. It just seems awful that their family has to go through yet another trial and potential that sentence might change or be reduced.

I get that there is a process and there is a right to it but feel so bad for families of victims who must find it so difficult to move on. I’ve met Justines father a couple of times as he ran a Dimmocks bookstore and he seems like a lovely man. It just seems awful that their family has to go through yet another trial and potential that sentence might change or be reduced.

You make a good point. I fear our justice system gives much preference to the perpetrators while the victim and their families are victimized repeatedly in our so called justice system. It has become almost routine to denigrate and drag the victim through the mud, while trying to get the perp acquitted or get a lesser sentence, then you have the appeals, and when the appeal is granted the family has to re-live the entire ordeal again. Then there is the issue of parole: Some crimes are so heinous and yet the perp is eligible for parole, so the family has to trek to the prison to try and keep the monster who took their loved one's life in prison, again re-opening the never-ending wound.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back