MN MN - Peter Achermann, 82, Staples, 24 July 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Think of Peter often and wonder why he can't be found.

This is such a sad case. Peter reminds me so much of my dad, who passed away at 82. I pray for some type of closure for this family... and that Peter is at peace, wherever he may be. :(

http://www.kttc.com/story/26099589/5-years-later-minnesota-man-still-missing

It's been five years since a rural Staples man disappeared, and authorities still don't know what happened to him...

Cass County Sheriff Tom Burch says investigators have followed up on several leads, but there's been nothing substantial.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Cass County sheriff's office. A reward of up to $20,000 has been extended for information leading to anyone responsible for Achermann's disappearance.

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/lo...cle_b6752b05-ecec-56ee-9dd8-c2013453e2ca.html

"What happens if we never know what happened to him or if we have to go the rest of our lives without knowing?" said his daughter, Desiree Achermann. "This eats at you every day."

Authorities discovered Achermann's light blue station wagon buried in a mud hole at the end of a back road the day after he was reported missing. "It's very odd that the vehicle was found on this road," said his son Jorg Achermann. "It looked like he got stuck and left it. If he was stuck he would have rocked it and got it out."

The Achermann family said Peter had no enemies or money to provide a motive for foul play.

I do, I think about this case, this man, his smile--everything and I wonder where this kind man went...what happened? I live in Minnesota, nowhere near MOtley where he disappeared; and I often look up his case and any clues or leads they have found. I find none. I am always keeping my eyes aware of my surroundings, the people and if I can recognize anyone (of those missing). I wish i could help, this story--this REAL life story baffles me and I only wish for closure for the family.

No trace of missing man after 6 years
Aug 5, 2015
http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/region/3811625-no-trace-missing-man-after-6-years
"It's frustrating," Cass County Sheriff Tom Burch said Tuesday as the sixth anniversary passed last week of the unresolved disappearance of Peter Achermann. "I have to keep telling the family the same thing ... That their loved one is still missing.

"We've had several leads over the years that we've followed up, but we've turned up nothing and haven't been able to solve it."
Burch said the reward of up to $20,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person/persons responsible for the disappearance, if the disappearance is the result of foul play, will be extended.

Burch encourages anyone with information, tips or leads on Achermann's whereabouts to contact the sheriff's office at 800-450-2677, 218-547-1424 or 911.

More at link.

I tend to agree with the family that foul play was involved. Peter had no signs of dementia. He was so good-hearted that his family could easily see him having given someone a ride or stopping for anyone who looked like they needed help. If you listen to The Vanished podcast (excellent job done by Marissa), his family thinks someone did something to their father elsewhere and dumped off his vehicle where it was found. That helps explain no luck in finding Peter at the site of the vehicle. The podcast said the vehicle wasn't processed for DNA, etc. because no one suspected foul play initially. So many people were out there searching when the car was first found, with countless people putting their hands on the car.

There has never been any mention of Peter's wallet. Only Peter, his cane and his car keys were mentioned as being missing. His wife's prescription and the groceries Peter had just bought were in his car. Knowing where Peter's wallet was might help determine if this was a robbery.

Questions I have after listening to this episode:

1. Were cadaver dogs ever used?
2. What kind of drugs were his wife's prescription? the fact it wasn't taken or touched is what gives me pause about robbery.
3. Agreeing with the above, what about the cash/wallet?

Peter went to town to get his wife's prescription and milk on Friday, July 24, 2009. He met his son from out of state coming in for Peter's granddaughter's wedding the next day and had coffee with him and grandkids.

He then went on to finish his errands. He picked up his wife's prescription, went on the the grocery store, picked up milk and then VANISHED.

He was last seen at 11:45 SM Friday July 24th getting milk at the grocery store. He was expected home by 3:00. He lives about 20 miles north of the grocery store where he was last seen.

His granddaughter was getting married the next day and he was looking forward to seeing all the family.

He did not show up at home by 3:00 as expected, then 4, 5, 7. The family members began frantically looking for his car. No luck.

On Saturday morning, the family began looking for him and his car again. About 7:00 pm Saturday, a local man called the family and said he was told that some one saw his car stuck down a long minimum maintainence road. The family went out to check it and it was Peter's car. They began another frantic search in the heavy brush and woods near where his car was found. Many of the family members skipped the wedding on Saturday to continue looking for Peter.

On Sunday morning, the Cass County sheriff's department became involved and helped coordinate the search. We have searched all the woods, brush, and swamps within a mile of where the car was found.

We have double, triple and even quadruple seached areas around the car. We have now searched about 8 square miles in the area.

We have not found the slightest clue that Peter was even there except for his car. He was wearing a brown shirt, light tan colored pants, wore a red, white, and blue beret, cigars, lighter, had a cane and crucifix with him. We found nothing. We have even been watching for any human defication in the woods, nothing.

Peter had no dementia or alzheimers. He was a very healthy 82 year old man who spent his days helping others. He regularly brought the elderly and incapacitated to doctors appointments. He brought groceries to homebound elderly.

His disappearance is COMPLETELY out of character for him.

How could this healthy sane man make so many mistakes to get lost in the woods. First, took the wrong road to go home (co rd 32), second, took another wrong dead end road (85th Ave), third, go down a POSTED dead end minimum maintenance road where the grass and brush was higher than the car, fourth, get stuck in a mud hole, fifth, get out of the car and start walking through thick brush and woods with NO trails.

IF he did drive back there, why would he not simply turn around and walk back down the road to the first (or second, third, fourth, etc) house and ask to use a phone.

THIS ENTIRE SITUATION DOES NOT MAKE SENSE THAT PETER MADE ALL THESE ERRORS. HE WAS A SMART MAN.

The Cass County sheriff's department says that it does not suspect foul play. Doesn't make sense, does it?

I am not a family member just a family friend and active searcher. I have an 87 year old father and can relate to the family's desparation.

helpfindpeter@gmail.com

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

NORRAD

Are you still investigating this case?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members