MN - Philando Castile, 32, shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that it has any relevance to what we are discussing, but this poster originally claimed that there is no registration in TX, which is obviously not accurate.

The context of the conversation was about documentation that has to be presented to the officer on request during a stop.

It should go without saying that there is no state in America where vehicles don't have to be registered at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the officer that pulled them over thought they looked like robbery suspects, specifically the man, so he was probably on alert going into the stop, not just a simple stop for a broken tail light in his mind.

http://www.kare11.com/news/police-scanner-audio-1/267042738

“I’m going to stop a car,” the officer tells dispatchers on the recording. “I’m going to check IDs. I have reason to pull it over.”
“The two occupants just look like people that were involved in a robbery,” the officer says. “The driver looks more like one of our suspects, just ‘cause of the wide set nose,” the officer continues.

the officer that pulled them over thought they looked like robbery suspects, specifically the man, so he was probably on alert going into the stop, not just a simple stop for a broken tail light in his mind.

http://www.kare11.com/news/police-scanner-audio-1/267042738

“I’m going to stop a car,” the officer tells dispatchers on the recording. “I’m going to check IDs. I have reason to pull it over.”
“The two occupants just look like people that were involved in a robbery,” the officer says. “The driver looks more like one of our suspects, just ‘cause of the wide set nose,” the officer continues.

This gives a better understanding of why this happened.

The cop already thought he was confronting a dangerous suspect when he heard "I have a gun".

This gives a better understanding of why this happened.

The cop already thought he was confronting a dangerous suspect when he heard "I have a gun".

That's even more damning against the officer. He lied to the occupants, telling them they had a broken taillight when they didn't.

So the officer had a heightened alert level because of the robbery angle, but there was no way Castile could know that he himself needed to be extra cautious.

And the race angle is just strengthened even more by this audio - hey, we're looking for black robbery suspects and hey, this guy has a wide-set nose!

"telling them they had a broken taillight when they didn't."

not necessarily. both things could be true.

Has LE made a statement in regards to the tail light or is this just information from the womans tape?

"telling them they had a broken taillight when they didn't."

not necessarily. both things could be true.

There have been photos published showing the car at the scene, both tail lights working.

Ms. Reynolds said in the press conference the next day that the tail light wasn't broken.

And proper procedure would have been for the officer to mention the taillight in the scanner audio. He didn't.

There have been photos published showing the car at the scene, both tail lights working. And the officer would have mentioned the taillight in the scanner audio. He didn't.

the pictures show both tail lights lit up?

he would not have to mention it on the radio, and he may have regardless - im assuming you have not heard all of the scanner audio surrounding this incident?

the pictures show both tail lights lit up?

he would not have to mention it on the radio, and he may have regardless - im assuming you have not heard all of the scanner audio surrounding this incident?

I heard all the audio that was on the TV broadcast.

And I did read that the pictures show both tail lights lit up. I have not seen the pictures myself.

But it would not make sense for him NOT to mention the tail light in the audio. You can hear him working hard to establish a reason for the stop with the robbery and nose stuff. He would have said "I'm pulling them over because their tail light is out, but I also see a resemblance to robbery suspects so I'm going to check their IDs."

Supplying links to statements is greatly appreciated. There is also a brake lite in the back window on most cars and the brake lites wouldn't be lite necesssrily when a car is in park.

It's possible she knew the light was not working and assumed that is why they were pulled over. jmo

What's interesting is how some automatically assumed the officer that shot Castile was white.

The woman on the tape did in description of the officer while she was calling on friends/family to come help her along with her location.

Didn't they say right away that he was Asian?

Ms. Reynolds certainly did, in her video.

It's irrelevant though. Whites don't have the market cornered on being racist toward blacks. Sometimes the most racist people toward a minority are some other minority.

The officer's statements on the scanner are indefensible, IMHO. Clearly racial profiling by saying Castile had a "wide nose".

Ms. Reynolds certainly did, in her video.

It's irrelevant though. Whites don't have the market cornered on being racist toward blacks. Sometimes the most racist people toward a minority are some other minority.

The officer's statements on the scanner are indefensible, IMHO. Clearly racial profiling by saying Castile had a "wide nose".

I'm thinking the comments on the suspect came from the description of the bank robbers. If the bank robber was Asian, and the description was his eyes were slanted, what the heck?
And for what it's worth, there are also blacks who are racists. Toward other races and toward other blacks, who they see as somehow better off than themselves. It's common to all races and peoples.
MOO

The police offer that is alleged to have shot Castile is Hispanic.

His partner who was with him is Caucasian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste