MN - Philando Castile, 32, shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The cop doesn't jump out of his car immediately when it comes to a stop. You have plenty of time to at least grab your wallet and have it in your lap.

But if you think you're "safer" with him standing one foot away from you, with you reaching and digging into areas he can't see, then be my guest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds to me like we have a truly serious problem with the training of our officers then. I don't blame the officer necessarily in that instance but I do blame the system that would allow for officer's to be placed into situations where they are not equipped or prepared to recognize what is truly a threat. I also think that we need to find a way to pay cops much, much more to attract more qualified officers and rid our departments of those cops who are clueless but given a gun.

What would make the officer think he would say "I'm licensed to carry" as a preamble to shooting him? Do people usually announce themselves before firing?
Just saw this and you posted as I was fumbling for words. I am in a state of shock, disbelief and fury. You can be so eloquent blue, thanks. And that little child trying to comfort the Mom is absolutely heartbreaking.

It's going to escalate because it keeps happening and nothing changes. So we've tried protests and marches and writing to our senators and staging sit-ins... nothing is working. Where else can it go but up?
SABBM

www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/07/two-police-officers-reportedly-shot-during-dallas-protest.html

Apparently some people think shooting cops is the only way to draw attention to unfair treatment.
But that seems hypocritical at best.

I agree with the right to peaceful protest.. but shooting at leo's will solve nothing.
Hope those two officers are ok.
:moo:

It would have? I doubt it.

Guarantee you it would. It's not the cop's lawyer's job to stand up and say he client did the wrong thing. And yes, everything you hear from the cop or the department at this point is their lawyer's speaking. So yes, it still would have been spun to justify the shooting.

I never said he intended to shoot anyone. Per the girlfriend, which I saw talking, he told the cop he had a gun. I don't know how his fiance is going to feel safe again, and I would be the wrong person to ask about that.

Sorry, most of my questions were rhetorical. But we don't know at what point he stated that. And it doesn't make sense to reveal that you have a weapon, and tip the officer off, if you're planning to use it.

What would make the officer think he would say "I'm licensed to carry" as a preamble to shooting him? Do people usually announce themselves before firing?

I had the same thought. How many people who shoot cops announce they are licenced to carry and make that announcement with a preschool aged child sitting in their car seat in the back seat?

SABBM

www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/07/two-police-officers-reportedly-shot-during-dallas-protest.html

Apparently some people think shooting cops is the only way to draw attention to unfair treatment.
But that seems hypocritical at best.

I agree with the right to peaceful protest.. but shooting at leo's will solve nothing.
Hope those two officers are ok.

I hope the officers are ok as well.

But I truly believe that the rate that officers are shot is going to increase and the rate that officers shoot victims is going to increase in response because they're more fearful. It is an endless cycle until both sides decide to step back, take a breath, and fix what is broken. Of course, that requires both sides to admit what is wrong or broken on their side, which I doubt happens any time soon.

You should not be reaching for anything if police stops you until asked.

"Always be polite during traffic stops, even if the officer is aggressive. You have little to lose by being polite and a lot to lose by being belligerent. Roll down your window, turn off the engine and place your hands on the steering wheel. If it is night time, turn on your interior light. Do not reach for documentation: officers are trained to spot driver's reaching for hidden items, or stashing items, and it is likely an officer may misinterpret your actions. You might be reaching for your registration, but for all the officer knows, you're reaching for a gun."

http://traffic.findlaw.com/traffic-stops/what-to-do-during-traffic-stops.html
SABBM

Did the man in MN make it clear to the officer he was only getting out his driver's license ?
Was this cop not very well trained in how to tell the difference between reaching for a gun vs. reaching for a driver's license ?
What has his surviving girlfriend said happened from the time they were pulled over to the confrontation ?

Agree with being polite and obeying what you're asked to do.

Sorry, most of my questions were rhetorical. But we don't know at what point he stated that. And it doesn't make sense to reveal that you have a weapon, and tip the officer off, if you're planning to use it.

He did tell the cop he had a weapon, according to the girlfriend. The link is on the thread. I don't think anybody suggesting he was planning to use it.

He did tell the cop he had a weapon, according to the girlfriend. The link is on the thread. I don't think anybody suggesting he was planning to use it.

Except for the officer who shot him.

SABBM

Did the man in MN make it clear to the officer he was only getting out his driver's license ?
Was this cop not very well trained in how to tell the difference between reaching for a gun vs. reaching for a driver's license ?
What has his surviving girlfriend said happened from the time they were pulled over to the confrontation ?

Agree with being polite and obeying what you're asked to do.

How do you tell the difference of what someone is reaching for? You seem to think you should be able to.

How do you tell the difference of what someone is reaching for? You seem to think you should be able to.

How about we not go off half cocked shooting people until there is actually a threat. Are cops allowed to just shoot everyone that is carrying a gun simply because they're carrying a gun and that makes them believe their life is in danger? I would suggest that that is not a reasonable fear and I'm not a gun enthusiast.

RSBM

My guess is that the shooting death of PC was because maybe the policeman involved wasn't trained well enough ?
When the fb video starts , he's already been shot -- so what happened before that ?
I don't know.
I'm wondering what transpired prior to the shooting.

If cop is so afraid of me reaching for my license, he shouldn't be asking for it.
And not reaching for documents before asked is the right thing to do.

"Do not reach for documentation: officers are trained to spot driver's reaching for hidden items, or stashing items, and it is likely an officer may misinterpret your actions. You might be reaching for your registration, but for all the officer knows, you're reaching for a gun."

http://traffic.findlaw.com/traffic-stops/what-to-do-during-traffic-stops.html

Will agree to disagree and move on after this. First, I don't get my legal advice from FindLaw any more than I self-diagnose ailments thru WebMD.

I live in Texas and there is no registration. So everything I need to show is right there in my wallet. Pulling over, grabbing my wallet, it's all one easy move as soon as my car stops. Foolish to put myself in position where I have to "reach" for something while an armed man stands that close to me - whether he asked me to or not.

How about we not go off half cocked shooting people until there is actually a threat. Are cops allowed to just shoot everyone that is carrying a gun simply because they're carrying a gun and that makes them believe their life is in danger? I would suggest that that is not a reasonable fear and I'm not a gun enthusiast.

I don't go off shooting anyone.

No body cam, according to CNN.

"I'm here for you, Mommy"

That little voice... this is just heartbreaking and rage inducing.

It truly is heartbreaking,especially on the heels of the other police involved shooting. I hope the family and his loved ones can find some peace but I don't see how they will. IMO

It truly is heartbreaking,especially on the heels of the other police involved shooting. I hope the family and his loved ones can find some peace but I don't see how they will. IMO
That comment alone demonstrates a child raised well and with compassion. It really is heartbreaking. I am still processing and I wasn't even there.

Will agree to disagree and move on after this. First, I don't get my legal advice from FindLaw any more than I self-diagnose ailments thru WebMD.

I live in Texas and there is no registration. So everything I need to show is right there in my wallet. Pulling over, grabbing my wallet, it's all one easy move as soon as my car stops. Foolish to put myself in position where I have to "reach" for something while an armed man stands that close to me - whether he asked me to or not.

Texas has no registration? Since when? As for reaching for you license, cops are trained to see what you are doing when they are approaching your car. But if you insists to do it this way, that's your prerogative. I am not going to do anything of the sort.

"New to Texas?
You have 30 days after establishing residency to have your vehicle inspected and registered."

https://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/car-registration.php

That comment alone demonstrates a child raised well and with compassion. It really is heartbreaking. I am still processing and I wasn't even there.

I have only seen bits of this story as I find it so troubling and just flat out tragic. Had to walk away from it today for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste