MN - Philando Castile, 32, shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a few things that seem off. Did Mr Castile have his seat belt on in that video? And he had plenty of time to get his i.d. out before the officers even got to the car why wouldn't he have done that.
Cops dont want to osee all that movement as they approach your vehicle. A cop would prefer you leave your seatbelt on and registration in dash until he makes a request

Why American Cops Kill So Many Compared to European Cops:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/american-cops-lethal_us_565cde59e4b079b2818b8870

"As a scholar of sociology and criminal justice, I recently set out to understand why rates of police lethality in the US are so much higher than rates in Europe."

"Racism helps explain why African Americans and Native Americans are particularly vulnerable to police violence. Racism, along with a prevailing American ideology of individualism and limited government, helps explain why white citizens and legislators give so much support to controversial police shooters and aggressive police tactics and so little to criminals and poor people."

Just because you do it, doesn't mean everybody else does. I am not going to be reaching for anything in the car if police is approaching the car unless they tell me to.

You can have your information out before he even steps out of his car. Sometimes it's the little things that they appreciate, like turning off your engine and putting the keys up on the dash, and it can make a difference in getting a ticket or just getting a warning.

As for Castile, it sounds like incredibly horrible timing. He was reaching for his wallet while at the same time saying, "I have a gun on me." And so the cop did a horrible job processing the information, and he should be charged IMHO.

The smart thing to do when you are carrying is to have your info out and hand him not only your DL but also your CWP, without comment unless he asks about it.

And to protect yourself, never put the window down all the way. Lower it enough to communicate and pass documents through. It might not have saved a life in this case, but you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cops dont want to osee all that movement as they approach your vehicle. A cop would prefer you leave your seatbelt on and registration in dash until he makes a request

Good point but would Mr Castile be alive tonight if he had presented those items when the officer came up to his window.

I've been stopped a couple of times by police. I've been polite and after answering some questions, we both went on our merry ways. And yes, I am part of a visible minority.

I whole heartedly believe this to be true.

In Canada? Hm

Statement from President Obama:

All Americans should be deeply troubled by the fatal shootings of Alton Sterling in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and Philando Castile in Falcon Heights, Minnesota. We've seen such tragedies far too many times, and our hearts go out to the families and communities who've suffered such a painful loss.

Although I am constrained in commenting on the particular facts of these cases, I am encouraged that the U.S. Department of Justice has opened a civil rights investigation in Baton Rouge, and I have full confidence in their professionalism and their ability to conduct a thoughtful, thorough, and fair inquiry.

But regardless of the outcome of such investigations, what's clear is that these fatal shootings are not isolated incidents. They are symptomatic of the broader challenges within our criminal justice system, the racial disparities that appear across the system year after year, and the resulting lack of trust that exists between law enforcement and too many of the communities they serve.

To admit we've got a serious problem in no way contradicts our respect and appreciation for the vast majority of police officers who put their lives on the line to protect us every single day. It is to say that, as a nation, we can and must do better to institute the best practices that reduce the appearance or reality of racial bias in law enforcement.
Let's come together as a nation, and keep faith with one another, in order to ensure a future where all of our children know that their lives matter.​

More:
https://www.facebook.com/potus/posts/507884336068078

Disagree. A cop can't tell the risk by the movement or lack thereof. Sometimes the most dangerous guy is the one who sits quietly and doesn't move a muscle.

Cops are going to approach the vehicle warily with hand on gun butt, regardless. Once they get up to the window, which do you think they would prefer:

1. A guy who has no info ready and, when asked for papers, reaches behind himself and/or into glovebox, both of which are blind spots to the cop; or

2. A guy who has both hands firmly on the wheel in plain sight, and his paperwork sitting in his lap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-death-aftermath-is-livestreamed-online-video

police officers order Reynolds out of the car. She complies — asking about her daughter as she does so (the video shows that the girl is being held in the arms of an officer).

A police officer then orders Reynolds to get on her knees, where we hear the sound of handcuffs being placed on her. Her phone is tossed onto the ground, but continues to record. The recording then captures the sound of an officer — seemingly the one who shot Castile — periodically yelling an obscenity.

From MPR

Minnesota Public Radio has this profile of victim Philando Castile:

Colleagues, Family Call Philando Castile Good-Hearted, Hard Worker
Reynolds' phone is then returned to her as she sits in the back seat of the police car with her daughter. Toward the end of the video, Reynolds becomes more emotional, screaming, "I can't believe they did this."

As Reynolds cries, her daughter tells her, "It's OK, Mommy. It's OK, I'm right here with you."

Castile was later pronounced dead at a local hospital, family members tell the Star Tribune.

Why American Cops Kill So Many Compared to European Cops:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/american-cops-lethal_us_565cde59e4b079b2818b8870"As a scholar of sociology and criminal justice, I recently set out to understand why rates of police lethality in the US are so much higher than rates in Europe.""Racism helps explain why African Americans and Native Americans are particularly vulnerable to police violence. Racism, along with a prevailing American ideology of individualism and limited government, helps explain why white citizens and legislators give so much support to controversial police shooters and aggressive police tactics and so little to criminals and poor people."
Officers in Europe do not carry guns.

Why American Cops Kill So Many Compared to European Cops:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/american-cops-lethal_us_565cde59e4b079b2818b8870"As a scholar of sociology and criminal justice, I recently set out to understand why rates of police lethality in the US are so much higher than rates in Europe.""Racism helps explain why African Americans and Native Americans are particularly vulnerable to police violence. Racism, along with a prevailing American ideology of individualism and limited government, helps explain why white citizens and legislators give so much support to controversial police shooters and aggressive police tactics and so little to criminals and poor people."
I am a full blooded native American and have never felt "vulnerable to police violence". In my opinion huffington post should not be considered mainstream media.

The arrest of Dylan Roof June 18, 2015
“The video footage, taken from a police cruiser's dash cam on June 18, 2015 shows how officers swarmed around Roof's car on a busy street, and quickly took him into custody.

After pulling over onto a dirt road, two officers approached the vehicle with weapons drawn. One of them holsters his weapon as he approaches the driver's side window.

More officers arrive on scene as Roof exits the vehicle and is immediately frisked for weapons. He is then placed in handcuffs while facing his vehicle.”

http://abc7news.com/news/dylann-roofs-arrest-on-dash-camera/801345/

It was pointed in out news discussion tonight that for Dylan Roof, a suspect in a mass shooting, with a known weapon was afforded a peaceful arrest, with the right to defend himself in a court of law.

And I agree, it seems quite the contrast to a routine traffic stop and killing of this young black man the nation has witnessed in Minnesota. Because of technology we are seeing what is happening. I have to ask are there arrests and death shootings of white men on video? Not saying it hasn’t happened but why are we only seeing so many black men being killed like this?

Good point but would Mr Castile be alive tonight if he had presented those items when the officer came up to his window.

Doubtful. The story would have just changed to "I saw him moving in his car. I thought he might have been hiding drugs or weapons. That made me fear for my life so my shoot is justified."

There is just no scenario anyone can come up with where one side won't find a justification for the shooting.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-death-aftermath-is-livestreamed-online-video

police officers order Reynolds out of the car. She complies — asking about her daughter as she does so (the video shows that the girl is being held in the arms of an officer).

A police officer then orders Reynolds to get on her knees, where we hear the sound of handcuffs being placed on her. Her phone is tossed onto the ground, but continues to record. The recording then captures the sound of an officer — seemingly the one who shot Castile — periodically yelling an obscenity.

From MPR

Minnesota Public Radio has this profile of victim Philando Castile:

Colleagues, Family Call Philando Castile Good-Hearted, Hard Worker
Reynolds' phone is then returned to her as she sits in the back seat of the police car with her daughter. Toward the end of the video, Reynolds becomes more emotional, screaming, "I can't believe they did this."

As Reynolds cries, her daughter tells her, "It's OK, Mommy. It's OK, I'm right here with you."

Castile was later pronounced dead at a local hospital, family members tell the Star Tribune.

I can't believe that she held it together for as long as she did. And that poor, dear preschooler, I was damaged watching and listening to that video. I can't even imagine going through that. OMG, what is happening?! He had no record, he had a concealed weapon permit. I am absolutely horrified!

The arrest of Dylan Roof June 18, 2015
“The video footage, taken from a police cruiser's dash cam on June 18, 2015 shows how officers swarmed around Roof's car on a busy street, and quickly took him into custody.

After pulling over onto a dirt road, two officers approached the vehicle with weapons drawn. One of them holsters his weapon as he approaches the driver's side window.

More officers arrive on scene as Roof exits the vehicle and is immediately frisked for weapons. He is then placed in handcuffs while facing his vehicle.”

http://abc7news.com/news/dylann-roofs-arrest-on-dash-camera/801345/

It was pointed in out news discussion tonight that for Dylan Roof, a suspect in a mass shooting, with a known weapon was afforded a peaceful arrest, with the right to defend himself in a court of law.

And I agree, it seems quite the contrast to a routine traffic stop and killing of this young black man the nation has witnessed in Minnesota. Because of technology we are seeing what is happening. I have to ask are there arrests and death shootings of white men on video? Not saying it hasn’t happened but why are we only seeing so many black men being killed like this?

I watched the dash cam video at the link you posted. It appears to me that DR did not resist arrest and made no sudden movements.

I watched the dash cam video at the link you posted. It appears to me that DR did not resist arrest and made no sudden movements.

Did he know that he would be getting a nice meal from Burger King?

Breaking news - Two police officers were just shot during a protest in Dallas over recent police shootings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YouthSleuth98