MN - Philando Castile, 32, shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It sure looks like he was in the passenger seat to me. See photo at following link.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/man-minnesota-police-killed-traffic-stop/story?id=40402805

He was the one driving. You can clearly see he is sitting in the driver's seat.

"The video opens with Diamond Reynolds (identified as Lavish Reynolds on her Facebook page) showing Castile bloodied and in the driver’s seat, with the police officer’s gun visible through the window next to him."
http://time.com/4397189/minnesota-shooting-philando-castiles-facebook-live-transcript/

He was the one driving. You can clearly see he is sitting in the driver's seat.

"The video opens with Diamond Reynolds (identified as Lavish Reynolds on her Facebook page) showing Castile bloodied and in the driver’s seat, with the police officer’s gun visible through the window next to him."
http://time.com/4397189/minnesota-shooting-philando-castiles-facebook-live-transcript/

OK, my bad. My eyes are playing tricks on me. It really looks like the video was taken from the drivers seat.....but I read he was driving.

The video was 'flopped' when it was first uploaded to Facebook. Finally, media people are starting to reflect the scene properly.

Difficult for me to believe the cop just shot w/o provocation. I sure hope we ultimately see the cop was wearing a camera and we get the full story. I would like to see the 60 seconds prior to shooting. Audio would probably suffice. I hope this wasnt a trigger happy cop. A biased opinion from a white male...but....if I were a black parent, I would be teaching my children what to do and what not to do when pulled over by cops. I want to hold firm on my thoughts that if you are respectful and compliant nobody gets hurt.

That's an idea, a nice one, but it's only an idea. It's not a truth.

OK, my bad. My eyes are playing tricks on me. It really looks like the video was taken from the drivers seat.....but I read he was driving.

It is strange the video flipped. Does anyone know why it is?

Just a few things that seem off. Did Mr Castile have his seat belt on in that video? And he had plenty of time to get his i.d. out before the officers even got to the car why wouldn't he have done that.

Just a few things that seem off. Did Mr Castile have his seat belt on in that video? And he had plenty of time to get his i.d. out before the officers even got to the car why wouldn't he have done that.

If I am stopped I am not going to be getting my ID out until I am told to get it out.

African-Americans make up just 12% of the population. 566 people have been killed by police so far this year. 136 of them were black. Thats 24%. So blacks are 2 times more likely to be killed by police then other members of society.
Are there any other supporting numbers/percentages that could also be used that may possibly support the reason for increases in black/white violence/shootings?

If I am stopped I am not going to be getting my ID out until I am told to get it out.

I've never been asked for registration, but I have always had my license and proof of insurance out before the cop reached my car window.

I've never been asked for registration, but I have always had my license and proof of insurance out before the cop reached my car window.

Just because you do it, doesn't mean everybody else does. I am not going to be reaching for anything in the car if police is approaching the car unless they tell me to.

That's an idea, a nice one, but it's only an idea. It's not a truth.

I've been stopped a couple of times by police. I've been polite and after answering some questions, we both went on our merry ways. And yes, I am part of a visible minority.

I whole heartedly believe this to be true.

I've been stopped a couple of times by police. I've been polite and after answering some questions, we both went on our merry ways. And yes, I am part of a visible minority.

I whole heartedly believe this to be true.

But sometimes people who are compliant and respectful get shot, so....

There's a poster on twitter whose children go to the school where Mr. Castile worked. He says Mr. Castile was known as Phil at school, and he was friendly, gentle and beloved. So sad. According to another, 500 children have had to be told that their friend is dead.

Just FYI: If driving alone on an open hwy with LE blue lights behind you dial 911 immediately and identify yourself so someone else knows your being stopped especially if you know you've done nothing wrong.

I keep thinking what if one of those bullets went through the seat and hit this woman’s child? It seems so reckless, without a second thought further to assess the situation, or state and repeat directions. The boyfriend was informing the officer.

My other thought is this woman's calm in the storm reflects how she was taught to conduct herself if she ever found herself in the line of fire. Imo. --That she was calmer than the officer blows my mind.

Also, why would they make an unarmed, woman when she is cooperating get on her knees to cuff her in front of her traumatized child?

Our officers have demonstrated great heroism as evidenced in Orlando. -My goodness, I was stopped a year or so ago for expired inspection sticker, and the officer couldn’t have been nicer – but I am a white woman… If I informed the officer I had a gun and permit to carry, would I expect to get shot? …No. -But maybe because a black man was relaying that information it was perceived as a threat?

So while all the facts are preliminary, I applaud the Governor of Minnesota for his reaction. And to this brave woman I am so sorry for her traumatic loss but so very relieved her baby is alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neejo