DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wired: For Philando Castile, Social Media Was the Only 911

The spine-chilling video begins with a plea: “Stay with me.”

<snip>

Because what else could they do? What else could she?

Unable to call the authorities as she watched her loved one slip away, Reynolds instead called on the public. Victims of police shootings have no authorities to call, no higher-ups to summon. In these situations, police are witness, assailant, and first responder—all three. Throughout history, that fact has left victims with little recourse.

<snip>

But Reynolds’ live video was different. Not just a documentation of what happened, it was also a real-time cry for help. Unable to call the authorities as she watched her loved one slip away, Reynolds instead called on the public.

As the video begins, Reynolds does not seem to know yet how severe Castile’s injuries are.

<snip>

Reynolds emerges from the car to find several officers, guns drawn, telling her to keep walking and kneel on the ground. “They threw my phone, Facebook,” she tells the audience she hopes is watching, before collapsing into sobs as the sound of police sirens whir in the background. The feed goes dark and then Reynolds and her daughter appear in the back of a police car. There, using handcuffed hands, Reynolds asks her friends and family who are watching to come pick her up at the corner of Larpenteur Ave. and Fry St. where the shooting took place.

In that moment, Facebook was Reynolds’ only recourse.

<snip>

“I wanted to put it on Facebook to go viral, so that the people could see,” she said. “I wanted the people to determine who was right and who was wrong. I want the people to be the testimony here.”​

Wired: For Philando Castile, Social Media Was the Only 911

The spine-chilling video begins with a plea: “Stay with me.”

<snip>

Because what else could they do? What else could she?

Unable to call the authorities as she watched her loved one slip away, Reynolds instead called on the public. Victims of police shootings have no authorities to call, no higher-ups to summon. In these situations, police are witness, assailant, and first responder—all three. Throughout history, that fact has left victims with little recourse.

<snip>

But Reynolds’ live video was different. Not just a documentation of what happened, it was also a real-time cry for help. Unable to call the authorities as she watched her loved one slip away, Reynolds instead called on the public.

As the video begins, Reynolds does not seem to know yet how severe Castile’s injuries are.

<snip>

Reynolds emerges from the car to find several officers, guns drawn, telling her to keep walking and kneel on the ground. “They threw my phone, Facebook,” she tells the audience she hopes is watching, before collapsing into sobs as the sound of police sirens whir in the background. The feed goes dark and then Reynolds and her daughter appear in the back of a police car. There, using handcuffed hands, Reynolds asks her friends and family who are watching to come pick her up at the corner of Larpenteur Ave. and Fry St. where the shooting took place.

In that moment, Facebook was Reynolds’ only recourse.

<snip>

“I wanted to put it on Facebook to go viral, so that the people could see,” she said. “I wanted the people to determine who was right and who was wrong. I want the people to be the testimony here.”​

Agree. Its her story. Jmo.

This is whats happening to me.

Agree. That doesn't sound like she thought only a arm shot.

So he made have heard that he was dead before he actually died. Jmo.

Her Facebook reporting of him already dead could be the last thing that he heard. Jmo.

Idk.

But the entire situation is totally awful and I hope that justice is served against the police.

I have heard on the TV news (local) that he passed away later at the hospital. Not sure if it's true, or just one of those things they say.

Agree. That doesn't sound like she thought only a arm shot.

So he made have heard that he was dead before he actually died. Jmo.

Her Facebook reporting of him already dead could be the last thing that he heard. Jmo.

Idk.

But the entire situation is totally awful and I hope that justice is served against the police.

The police did nothing wrong. The deceased moved after being told not to move.

Philando Castile Was a Role Model to Hundreds of Kids, Colleagues Say

Castile, who was known by friends as Phil, was a cafeteria supervisor at J.J. Hill Montessori Magnet School in Saint Paul, Minn., where he memorized the names of the 500 children he served every day — along with their food allergies, his former coworker said.

“He remembered their names. He remembered who couldn’t have milk. He knew what they could have to eat and what they couldn’t,” Joan Edman, a recently retired paraprofessional at the school, told TIME. “This was a real guy. He made a real contribution. Yes, black lives matter. But this man mattered.”

“He was a fixture. I was always happy to see him around school. The cafeteria was a pretty happy place. He was part of the community and an important one,” Andrew Karre, whose 8-year-old son attends J.J. Hill, told TIME.

“He was just a nice, caring person who worked at the school, who should not be dead,” said Karre, 37.

A nice, caring person who should not be dead.

I have heard on the TV news (local) that he passed away later at the hospital. Not sure if it's true, or just one of those things they say.

In all honesty. I don't know. But I'm now signing off to this tragedy.

Because I know nothing of any intentions by all involved.

But that video is definitely sad.

Too bad the world saw it before his family. Jmo.

But maybe she thought that she was going to die too.

Idk.

I probably would have felt the same way in a last testament of life.

This is whats happening on my possible last day. Jmo.

So I will no longer blame her.

And I'm truly sorry if I ever sounded that way.

Hugs my friends.

Dang.

Thats pretty graphic.

Wtf.

The girlfriend couldn't even hug her boyfriend since the cop was still standing there by the window and ready to shoot.

Wth. The cop stood there like he was waiting for death to take place before realizing that there was no threat. Jmo.

Now I applaud that the woman was brave enough to live stream things as proof.

But shux. Where the heck was the hugs and kisses and you will be OK.

Dang. She had No tears. Just straight lois lane reporting.

Now I do feel bad for the guy. But I also feel that her real time reporting during the dying of a loved one; says that she did it more for dollar signs and not out of why is this happening to my loved one. Jmo.

I think she was in total shock and disbelief at the beginning. You can see the reality start washing over her in waves. Then she gets control, then she gets emotional, then loses control again, back and forth.

I think she did the right thing recording. Hearing that cop freaking out and watching him continuing to point that gun at the dying man while threatening her not to move is horrifying, and no one would have believed her if she hadn't recorded it.

Seriously? Police don't have a right to shoot you just because you moved if they tell you not to.

Girlfriend said he was gone instantly.

"He didn't have any last words," Reynolds tearfully recalled Thursday morning, hours after she said police released her and her young daughter, who was also in the car. "His eyes rolled into the back of his head and he was gone instantly."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...pts-minnesota-governor-call-doj-probe-n605301

ETA from same link - "Castile died at the hospital following the incident around 9 p.m. local time Wednesday."

At around 6:50, she said the officer told him not to move, but instead he started to put his hands up and the officer shot him when he moved to do that.

[video=youtube;rDRSDvZxkPA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDRSDvZxkPA[/video]

And so what? Police has no right to shoot someone for moving even if they tell them not to.

we have no idea what caused this officer to draw his weapon and fire 4-5 times. We only have what the GF says happen.

She didn't record the whole thing, she only started recording after he was shot.

until there are more facts about this case, I'm siding with LE on this.

jmo

As you are entitled to do. I'm siding with this poor man and his family. He was pulled over for a broken tail light and now he is dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Governor has said this would not have happened if he was a white man. Nobody deserves to die because they reach for their license.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

As a numbers kind of analytical guy I only see 4 possible answers to problem:
1. We move back to a segregated society where we all live in our own racial background neighborhoods. Whites policing whites and blacks policing blacks. That stops all white cops shooting blacks
2. White officers decide to roll the dice and pray more that they make it home at night as they lower their guard to accommodate our more than ever violent society
3. People respect the cops more and adjust their behavior and attitude when confronted by LE
4. Society in general Monday morning quarterback from the safety behind their keyboards that never really have to put themselves, their own safety at risk, accepts that it's society's expectation to lower our safety expectations to the standards of the violent few. Those violent few are ruining the reputation of majority of their brothers. The masses need to be loudly proclaiming to help lift their brothers and expectations rather than asking the masses to live in a more violent world. We need a few high profile leaders to step up and loudly proclaim that violence isnt cool.

OR LE could get more training on deescalating situations and racial equity and additional training in use of force. It is hard to be a person of color in this country when nearly everything you do may get you killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Girlfriend said he was gone instantly.

"He didn't have any last words," Reynolds tearfully recalled Thursday morning, hours after she said police released her and her young daughter, who was also in the car. "His eyes rolled into the back of his head and he was gone instantly."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...pts-minnesota-governor-call-doj-probe-n605301

ETA from same link - "Castile died at the hospital following the incident around 9 p.m. local time Wednesday."

Castile’s cousin said on her Facebook page that he was dead. Castile’s uncle, Clarence Castile, who was at Hennepin County Medical Center with other family members, said Philando died at 9:37 p.m., a few minutes after arriving at the hospital.

http://m.startribune.com/aftermath-of-officer-involved-shooting-captured-on-phone-video/385789251/#1

Nothing official yet as to time of death that I have seen.

African-Americans make up just 12% of the population. 566 people have been killed by police so far this year. 136 of them were black. Thats 24%. So blacks are 2 times more likely to be killed by police then other members of society.

I wouldn't really trust those numbers. The reporting and tracking of these types of deaths are woefully inadequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neejo