MN - Philando Castile, 32, shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not again. Another tragic, unnecessary death.

If society is going to encourage people to purchase and bear arms, they need to train LE how to deal with these situations safely. And they need to train LE to administer first aid and call 911 right away.

An unanswered (as far as I have found) question I have:

At what point during the traffic stop did the officer draw his weapon?

he shouldn't have been shot as someone just exercising that right.

This is offensive, mistakes happen every day, clearly a mistake here but he was not shot for exercising his rights, how quickly can a thread get derailed on gun control.

U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum, who represents the area where Castile was shot, called for a federal investigation. “My deepest sympathies to the loved ones of Philando Castile. This tragic shooting demands USDOJ investigation. We need facts, peace & calm,” she tweeted Thursday morning.

And on Thursday morning, Gov. Mark Dayton requested a federal investigation into Castile’s death through White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough.

"Overnight, the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension began an independent investigation at the state level. They are currently collecting all necessary evidence, and interviewing witnesses, to determine what happened, and to assure that justice in this case is served,” Dayton said in a prepared statement. “I will do everything in my power to help protect the integrity of that investigation, to ensure a proper and just outcome for all involved.”
http://www.twincities.com/2016/07/06/officer-involved-shooting-investigated-in-falcon-heights/

I am a 55 yr old white woman, driving a BMW. I was stopped for speeding on the interstate. 12 noon. The state trooper came up to my window and after speaking about the speeding, asked me for my license and registration. I told him it was in the glove box, can I get it? He said yes and took a step back, like to my back driver side door and put his hand on his weapon (I could see that in my side mirror). I kept one hand on the wheel and opened to box with the other and pulled it out.
Too many innocent cops do get killed at a simple traffic stop, I don't blame them for being cautious, and I'm not saying the cop was in the right here. But, I'll have to get more info, and I hate for anyone to be killed or injured over something like this.
All MOO only

I am a 55 yr old white woman, driving a BMW. I was stopped for speeding on the interstate. 12 noon. The state trooper came up to my window and after speaking about the speeding, asked me for my license and registration. I told him it was in the glove box, can I get it? He said yes and took a step back, like to my back driver side door and put his hand on his weapon (I could see that in my side mirror). I kept one hand on the wheel and opened to box with the other and pulled it out.
Too many innocent cops do get killed at a simple traffic stop, I don't blame them for being cautious, and I'm not saying the cop was in the right here. But, I'll have to get more info, and I hate for anyone to be killed or injured over something like this.
All MOO only

From the link above:

Lavish Reynolds: Stay with me. We got pulled over for a busted tail light in the back and the police he’s he’s he’s covered [inaudible] they killed my boyfriend. He’s licensed he’s carried so he’s licensed to carry. He was trying to get out his ID and his wallet out his pocket and he let the officer know that he was that he had a firearm and he was reaching for his wallet and the officer just shot him in his arm.

Would it be better if citizens didn't say anything about having a firearm to avoid LE panic? There doesn't seem to be a good answer. Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

I'm glad DOJ is investigating these incidents.

All MOO only

I agree, I was thinking back to a time, 10-15 years ago and I had to reach in my glove compartment, I made sure to verbally let the officer know what I was doing and get a response from him before proceeding. I exercised caution. In hindsight today, I would use even more caution due to all of the shootings involving vehicles being pulled over.

I can count on one hand the # of times in my whole life I have been pulled over.

First thing I do is to have my driver license ready to hand to officer, in light of everything, perhaps I will place it in plain sight on my dash. I think many people are quick to engage officers, Why are you pulling me over? ect which puts things into a confrontational situation. Why not put the officer at ease and give them your license up front, that is what he is going to ask for before he leaves his vehicle.

Secondly, Texas takes part of this out of the equation, I use to live in Mn as well as many other states, but vehicle registration is a sticker on your windshield, that in itself would stop people from reaching into their glove compartment or elsewhere.

I have a question: It is apparent the victim is still breathing in her video and is need of medical assistance. Why does it not appear he is being attended to? And did I hear correctly the woman being told by an officer they had to process the scene?

He was the driver, the bullets would appear to enter his left arm and thorax, which would affect heart and lung. I simply don't understand why it took so long to get the woman out of the car, let alone the wounded driver. The 4 yo seemed to be removed immediately.

What exactly is police protocol for a wounded person they just shot? And what am I missing? TIA

I simply don't understand why it took so long to get the woman out of the car, let alone the wounded driver. The 4 yo seemed to be removed immediately.

What exactly is police protocol for a wounded person they just shot? And what am I missing? TIA

She was in shock and yet recording incident, that in itself may have prolonged things, but yes it should have gone much faster.

I agree, I was thinking back to a time, 10-15 years ago and I had to reach in my glove compartment, I made sure to verbally let the officer know what I was doing and get a response from him before proceeding. I exercised caution. In hindsight today, I would use even more caution due to all of the shootings involving vehicles being pulled over.

I can count on one hand the # of times in my whole life I have been pulled over.

First thing I do is to have my driver license ready to hand to officer, in light of everything, perhaps I will place it in plain sight on my dash. I think many people are quick to engage officers, Why are you pulling me over? ect which puts things into a confrontational situation. Why not put the officer at ease and give them your license up front, that is what he is going to ask for before he leaves his vehicle.

Secondly, Texas takes part of this out of the equation, I use to live in Mn as well as many other states, but vehicle registration is a sticker on your windshield, that in itself would stop people from reaching into their glove compartment or elsewhere.

bbm, Mine is on the back side of my visor, where the office has a clear sight of.

bbm, 3 here heavy foot in fast cars. :)

There was a backup officer at the scene.

It is not clear to me if he was present or not when the shooting occurred. (ETA: See below.)

St. Anthony police Sgt. Jon Mangseth, who is the interim police chief, told reporters at the scene that the primary officer who initiated the traffic stop and the backup officer who responded were St. Anthony police officers.

http://m.startribune.com/aftermath-of-officer-involved-shooting-captured-on-phone-video/385789251/

Sgt. Jon Mangseth, interim chief of the St. Anthony police, said two officers were present when the shooting occurred -- a primary officer, who he believes has more than five years of experience, and a backup officer. Having both is standard procedure for the department, which has jurisdiction over Falcon Heights.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/07/07/us/falcon-heights-shooting-minnesota/index.html

I have a question: It is apparent the victim is still breathing in her video and is need of medical assistance. Why does it not appear he is being attended to? And did I hear correctly the woman being told by an officer they had to process the scene?

He was the driver, the bullets would appear to enter his left arm and thorax, which would affect heart and lung. I simply don't understand why it took so long to get the woman out of the car, let alone the wounded driver. The 4 yo seemed to be removed immediately.

it depends, but in many places police officers do not give medical aid after a shooting and that is protocol. they secure the scene and wait for EMT's to arrive. it always looks terrible.

This police officer shot into a car at point blank range when a child was in the back seat! What is going on with these trigger happy police? Are they not getting enough training or what?
I am generally supportive of LE but there have been way, way too many of these incidents

And why the need to fire four shots??? Why does shoot to kill appear to be the default these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are not getting the full story here. I want to know what caused this officer to draw his weapon.

jmo

And why the need to fire four shots??? Why does shoot to kill appear to be the default these days?

we have no idea what caused this officer to draw his weapon and fire 4-5 times. We only have what the GF says happen.

She didn't record the whole thing, she only started recording after he was shot.

until there are more facts about this case, I'm siding with LE on this.

jmo

Communication break down or one of the parties involved wasn't trained correctly on how to handle this situation? IDK

The cop should be trained to tell CC to keep hands where they can be seen. (this cop says that's what he said but the girlfriend says otherwise)

And the CC should be trained to inform of gun on person and licensed status and to keep hands up. (girlfriend says he reached because the cop asked for ID)

As a CC, if you know you the best thing for you to do is keep your hands up because that's what you've been trained to do, what should you do if the cop is telling you otherwise? Scary!!

And without a body cam it becomes he said - she said.

And frankly the officer sounds way more out of control of his emotions in the aftermath. Perfect storm for shoot first, ask questions later. At the expense of this poor man and his family.

He had concealed carry permit. That means he is not a criminal, right?

He had a responsible job. It will be interesting how this is spun.

I grew up with Andy Griffith. The police are your friends.

Now on here I see how people say rhey act when stopped. Every move and thought calculated so they do not get shot.

Special country is America

America is a special country. Lots of questions here after listening to the tape. Lots of little things said differently as the tapes roll on. Most interesting was they had weed in the car. What are the Minnesota's laws abt being arrested with weed with a minor child present? How woulld it effect his job at a the school had he been arrested? Are the first reactions of the woman passenger and officer relevant? Just lots to look into. Prayers to the families involved.

GF says she was held that the precinct until 5am, separated from her daughter, LE must have thought there was reason for that, have no idea about alleged weed and amount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper