MO - 1-month-old girl dies when mother, Mariah Thomas, allegedly places her in oven instead of crib, mom charged - Kansas City, 9 Feb 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thomas was transported to police headquarters for an interview where she invoked her fifth amendment right to remain silent.

But she consented to detectives obtaining a blood draw and accessing her phone data.

Thomas' social media presents her as a doting mom, who referred to her daughter as her 'princess'.

In one Facebook post she states her desire to be, 'the best mother I can be to my beautiful daughter.'

But in one haunting post made just weeks before the tragedy Thomas complained that nobody was looking out for her.

'Mfs claim they my friend by don't never check up on me or Za'Riah,' she wrote on January 20.

Happy mama to sounding like a very childlike and needy teen. Scary.

MOO: how sad is it that this is the event that is going to net this woman competent mental health and developmental disability treatment? This severity of failure of safety net?
We don't know that she suffers from either, just saying. Or, I don't think it's come out that she has a diagnosis yet?? Maybe I just missed it.

Although, even if she received or receives treatment for a developmental disability, she still has the right to reproduce. I guess there are no easy answers.

Rest Easy, Baby Z.

Adding... so, how does she mistake the oven for the crib AND turn the oven on by mistake?? There's no parallel there. What in the world happened? That precious baby.
Only thing I can think of is that the baby naps right before meal time and was put in there and then the mom turned the oven on to prepare food and finds the baby when she went to put the food in the oven.

I am now retired from having been a pediatric occupational therapist. One of my clients was born to two developmentally disabled parents, who were being housed by the government in a local motel. They forgot that babies have to be fed, or given liquids. Officials happened to visit their room some days later, and took the baby to the hospital. A statement was later made that the baby would have been dead had they not arrived. Historically, developmentally disabled people were prevented from having children by their families; now, it is not uncommon; thus, these tragedies.

I am now retired from having been a pediatric occupational therapist. One of my clients was born to two developmentally disabled parents, who were being housed by the government in a local motel. They forgot that babies have to be fed, or given liquids. Officials happened to visit their room some days later, and took the baby to the hospital. A statement was later made that the baby would have been dead had they not arrived. Historically, developmentally disabled people were prevented from having children by their families; now, it is not uncommon; thus, these tragedies.
Is there current evidence that she has such a diagnosis?

Thomas was transported to police headquarters for an interview where she invoked her fifth amendment right to remain silent.

But she consented to detectives obtaining a blood draw and accessing her phone data.
That seems important

Possibility 1 - her dad gave her strict instructions and she follows them.
Possibility 2 - she's a fan of crime shows and knows that's what you're supposed to do if your lawyer isn't there.
Possibility 3 - she is not mentally disabled or unwell, because if she was, she wouldn't be capable of that kind of foresight and planning.

Just speculating

From the link in quote-

Za'Riah's grandfather told police he received a call from her mom at around 1pm on Friday in which she told him 'something was wrong with the baby and he needed to return home immediately'.

On returning home immediately began to smell smoke and found Za'Riah dead in her crib.

Thomas told him she had 'accidentally' put her in the oven, according to court filings.

Za'Riah was discovered by police in a car seat inside her home with 'apparent thermal injuries on various parts of a her body'.

So did Mariah take her out of the oven and put her in a carseat, then put the seat in a crib?
I think it's indicative of something that she removed the baby from the oven before telling anyone. There was some consciousness that the baby should not be found by someone else in there. Of course, her injuries would have been grievous and impossible to disguise as anything but thermal trauma, but the removal of the child from the oven to the crib I think says that she had some awareness of how it would look to another if the baby were to be found in the former.

MOO

From the link in quote-

Za'Riah's grandfather told police he received a call from her mom at around 1pm on Friday in which she told him 'something was wrong with the baby and he needed to return home immediately'.

On returning home immediately began to smell smoke and found Za'Riah dead in her crib.

Thomas told him she had 'accidentally' put her in the oven, according to court filings.

Za'Riah was discovered by police in a car seat inside her home with 'apparent thermal injuries on various parts of a her body'.

So did Mariah take her out of the oven and put her in a carseat, then put the seat in a crib?
It sounds like the poor grandfather came home and found her in the crib, injured, and he may have put her in the car seat, in order to take her to hospital, but called 911. OR he put her in car seat to await the ambulance arrival?

I think she may have been special needs, AND she had some mental health issues and on top of that suffered from Postpartum depression---all of it mixed together with her anger/resentment about no one paying attention to her, 0nly to her adorable baby girl.

[one of her last FB posts had to do with her anger about people only wanting to see her so they could see her baby]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyMay
Back