GUILTY MO - Angie Housman, 9, kidnapped, held then murdered, St Louis, 18 Nov 1993

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi TickleB,

I had a look at this guys Facebook and he sounds like he has serious mental problems and he does say that he is an alcoholic. However, from what I read he is saying he wants to kill pedophiles. I didn't see anything to suggest he was/is a pedophile. I couldn't reading his rantings long enough to go back to find where he talks about Angie.

He has something like 129 friends on Facebook and I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to associate with the guy and the filth he writes. It's beyond my comprehension. Facebook should shut him down.

This man lost his sister to a violent crime when he was younger, he served in the war, was obviously a drug user or had severe untreated mental issues and committed suicide. I'd say he's not your guy but just a poor, tortured soul.

I thought that the following links might be of interest, as well as perhaps getting those of us on WS to jump start our thinking. These are some old news clips from St Louis regarding Angie.

http://youtu.be/BO6FTTGIfvg

http://youtu.be/CvbBygdeqRM

Can I ask you a question SLYOLDGUY? How did you obtain these videos? In 1993 you would have had to tape record on a VHS tape every news broadcast (on several stations no less...as you have KSDK and KMOV broadcasts). Then you would have had to preserve them...as VHS tapes degrade over time much less keeping them around for 20 years. THEN you would have to digitize the images. Clearly they are from VHS images as you can see the lines throughout the YouTube videos.

I work with a former high profile news anchor and he said there is no way you could have access to these broadcasts by calling either TV station because they would not have wasted the manpower to collect all the broadcasts.

I didn't know Angie but I was a teenager and lived in North County when this all took place...it was terrifying. Everyone was scared. Little girls were being snatched left and right...there was so much panic (it even made national news and stories in the NY Times). It always stayed with me because of how horrific all the rumors were of the crime scene. Now that I am older it haunts me that this person is still out there...somewhere. I have no faith in the St. Ann PD because they are notorious for being very corrupt. I am hoping that the Major Case Squad is still the LE team "in control" of the case.

My two cents are as follows:

1. Notice on the map how all the locations are easily accessible to major interstates. All the killer had to do was drive down her street half a block and he's on a major road that takes him to a major interstate. The location of her body...same situation. He can get in and out which leads me to believe he knew both locations well.
2. Angie's house is directly across the street from the former St. Gregory's Catholic Church and School. It closed in 2002 but in 1993 was very active. I find it hard to believe that not one person saw a thing. It's almost impossible...although the street is desolate because her house was facing the back of the grade school. Map of locations.
3. On another thread in WebSleuth several neighbors reported that Angie's mother would often "lock her out of the house" and leave her unattended. She would not be dressed appropriately, etc. I have NO IDEA if this is true. But if someone in the area had been watching her he may have known that she was a "neglected" kid which make the easiest targets. I would never want to insinuate that a parent is neglectful but this is what people reported at the time of the murder. In addition the police stated several times she was "starved for attention."
4. Why would any murderer leave their victim alive? I know that in 1993 the wildlife area was desolate but what if...WHAT IF someone found her alive? Is it a sign of guilt that they couldn't kill her? It leads me to believe he didn't know her or else she could have identified him by name. I have never heard of someone being left alive for that simple reason...identification.
5. The investigators have said repeatedly that they believe the murderer still lives locally. Well how in the world could they commit such an awful crime and not have the urge to do it again? It is so rare that someone with this pattern, this capacity of violence that would not be a repeat offender.
6. How long does it take to get back DNA results? Was the DNA too degraded to test? I was so hopeful at the 20 year mark last November when they released the story that testing would be done...and then they dropped the story.

These are just my opinions. I hope they find who committed this murder...I don't care how long it takes as long as they are brought to justice on this earth. RIP Angie. I hope her family has been able to find some kind of peace through the years.

Can I ask you a question SLYOLDGUY? How did you obtain these videos? In 1993 you would have had to tape record on a VHS tape every news broadcast (on several stations no less...as you have KSDK and KMOV broadcasts). Then you would have had to preserve them...as VHS tapes degrade over time much less keeping them around for 20 years. THEN you would have to digitize the images. Clearly they are from VHS images as you can see the lines throughout the YouTube videos.

I work with a former high profile news anchor and he said there is no way you could have access to these broadcasts by calling either TV station because they would not have wasted the manpower to collect all the broadcasts.

Jenny Girl, I have a friend from the St. Louis area who has followed this case since the day Angie was abducted. She knew I was interested in the case, so when she ran across the video tapes she had, she sent copies of them to me.

In fact, one of the primary reasons I have taken a real interest in this particular case is because it upset my friend so much.

Someone told me this morning that her killer might have been found. I was told it would be on the news, but haven't seen anything yet. Does anyone else know anything about it?

Someone told me this morning that her killer might have been found. I was told it would be on the news, but haven't seen anything yet. Does anyone else know anything about it?

Have not heard anything here in the North as of yet, but this would be wonderful news if it pans out to be true. This case has been one of my pet cases ever since I saw the first post.

Angie deserves justice...... it has been way too long already.

Keeping the faith.

~TCO~

I am somewhat local -- I live about 50 miles outside of St. Louis in southwestern Illinois -- and I haven't heard anything yet. :(

I pray Angie gets justice sometime in my lifetime! :please:

St. Louis, Dispatch: Most investigators believe that Angie knew her killer, at least slightly, and that her innocence made her an easy mark. "It's our feeling she got in a car on her own," Hughes said. "She was starved for affection. She told people, `I want to be your friend.' She was a little more trusting than many kids."

Another Major Case squad investigator added: "We've learned that Angie would meet you two or three times and you were her friend. We've been told that she'd go up to people and say, `Hi. My name is Angie. Are you my friend?' "She was looking for attention."

The day before Angie was abducted, she told a teacher at school that she was planning to go to the country the next day with a relative. Police have thoroughly explored that lead, Hughes said.

It's possible she could have met a man, her new friend, who told her to call him uncle. Hughes believes that whoever killed Angie remains in the St. Louis area. "Personally, I think everything is right here, but we just haven't been able to put our finger on it. "I've been wrong before, but I've got a gut feeling that's it's all right here. We just can't hit the right nail on the right head.

The day of Angie's abduction, it was a fluke that no one saw a thing. A neighbor usually is positioned at her window, watching the children get off the bus, but she didn't do so that day. Another neighbor who normally stands on her front porch was away to tend to her sick father. The Housman case is by far the longest consecutive investigation in the Major Case Squad's 28-year history.

Angie's case has long been associated with the case of Cassidy Senter but Cassidy's case has been solved and prosecuted. Thomas Brooks was found guilty and sentenced to death. Thomas Brooks, 33, died on May 16th at the Moberly Prison. He'd been transferred there for treatment of an undisclosed long-term illness.
Whoever quoted this in the Post Dispatch is SO WRONG......
Angie was not aggressively friendly with anyone. She was quiet and did not want everyone to be her friend. I agree who ever kidnapped her, she knew because would not just get into anyone's car. This case should have been solved years ago.

Angie was not aggressively friendly with anyone. She was quiet and did not want everyone to be her friend. I agree who ever kidnapped her, she knew because would not just get into anyone's car. This case should have been solved years ago.
Welcome jcbone62. Thank you for your post. I take it you were an acquaintance of Angie's? I hope there will be resolution to this case soon.

jcbone62....based on your registered user name, and on the information you gave, I am assuming that you knew Angie. If this is true, you may have access to some information the rest of us do not have. And even if you don't have more information, you probably have some theories that would be of interest to the rest of us.

I agree with you that this investigation has gone on way to long. It seems like about once every couple of years LE makes a statement that they have new information, or that they are very near to making an arrest, but that never seems to happen. I just wonder whether someone in LE knows the truth and is covering it up because they are friends or relatives with the person responsible. It's happened before.

The other day I was reading about the Angie Housman case. In November of 1993, Angie was a 9 year old girl kidnapped just half a block from her home in St. Louis while walking home from from the bus stop. Her body was found 9 days later. She had been raped and tortured for days, then duct taped to a tree and left to die. From the news articles I've read, there's quite a bit of evidence, but investigators have been unable to link any of it to a suspect. IIRC, they even have DNA that might belong to her killer. Since they haven't caught the guy who did it, they obviously haven't found a match in any of their databases. That, coupled with my interest in genealogy, got me thinking. What if investigators looked beyond the databases of criminals? Could it be possible to put the DNA profile of a suspect into any of the genealogical DNA databases to see if it can be linked to possible relatives? It certainly couldn't hurt to try, especially for a 20+ year old cold case such as Angie's.

I can't be the only person who's thought of this, right?

I can't be the only person who's thought of this, right?

No, you aren't the only one. I have been contacted by coroners inquiring about this. The problem is that there is no way to get DNA from crime scenes and/or deceased victims into the three commercial autosomal DNA databases that we use for genealogy. You need a fair amount of saliva for 23andMe and AncestryDNA and a cheek swab from Family Tree DNA. The first two have refused to work with DNA samples from other sources for LE. While Family Tree DNA *might* possibly be willing to work on a case that involves identifying a Jane/John Doe (but not identifying a criminal) since they have their own lab and are less corporate, they have the smallest atDNA database.

Y-chromosome DNA profiles have been compared to the genealogy-focused Y-search and the Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation's databases in the attempt to solve crimes. In fact, this recently resulted in Ancestry.com (owner of the SMGF.org database) making the decision to take down the SMGF database in order to avoid negative publicity in this regard.

There are all sorts of privacy concerns related to this. I'm deeply uncomfortable about it. This covers some of the issues: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/...s-wild-goose-chase-and-linked-innocent-man-20

I agree there are privacy concerns if the goal is to convict someone (not so much for identifying Does), however that article is full of misinformation. Judy Russell details many of the problems with it here:http://legalgenealogist.com/blog/2015/05/03/facts-matter/

The data that was initially used was not from a private database as the EFF article asserts. It was from a public one. Judy's article even gets this wrong: "It is true that the police submitted the crime scene sample to the Sorenson lab — now owned by Ancestry. It’s true that the lab disclosed there were matches, including one close match."
The lab used was not owned by Ancestry.com. Sorenson Forensics has no affiliation with them. The confusion came from the fact that the lab happens to have a similar name to the Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation from which Ancestry.com purchased the public database later used for comparison purposes - SMGF.org. (Now removed.)

Regardless, because the CODIS DNA tests used by LE are completely different than the autosomal DNA tests used to identify unknown parentage in genealogy, it is currently not possible to effectively use DNA Genealogy for these purposes. As this case and others demonstrated, using the Y-filer kit results to compare to the genealogy Y-STR databases will rarely result in a successful identification. You need the autosomal DNA too. So, until crime labs find a way ro run tests similar to the genealogy DNA tests that cover ~700k genetic markers (SNPs) instead of a handful of STRs, it isn't going to happen.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/brooks_gina.html

There's some info on the Gina Dawn Brooks case about Bryant Squires (who made the deathbed confession to a nurse) and his friends he committed crimes with.

Something that caught my attention was that one of the men had a father who owned property - 96 acres. I hope they checked into whether Angie Housman could have been kept there.

CASES AT `GROUND ZERO' - WOMAN'S KILLING INVESTIGATED WITH THOSE OF 2 GIRLS

St. Louis Post-Dispatch - Sunday, January 23, 1994
Author: By Kim Bell and Bill Bryan ; Of the Post-Dispatch Staff

A woman frantically called police when she saw on television the pink bedspread that had been found wrapped around Cassidy Senter's body.

After examining the bedspread and a multi-colored quilt, the woman gave police the name of someone she knew. Detectives investigating the slayings of Cassidy and Angie Housman were excited.

The tip led to a potential suspect who began to look better and better.

"We were pumped," said one detective. "Some of us really thought that we had the guy."

As happened so many times before in the frustrating investigation, police eventually dropped the man as a suspect, based on hair and saliva tests.

After more than six weeks, investigators still don't know who killed 10-year-old Cassidy or 9-year-old Angie Housman . Police don't even know if there was one killer, two killers - or more.

Detectives have interviewed hundreds of pedophiles and peeping Toms. They've questioned convicted murderers and rapists. They've even solved a string of burglaries, car thefts and assaults, thanks to leads developed during their inquiry. They've helped develop a profile of the killer.

But they haven't solved the cases - or even come close.

Theories abound. Just about every detective on the task force looking into the killings holds a different opinion. Some think it's a serial killer. Others believe the crimes were unrelated.

"It's gut-feeling kind of stuff," said one detective. "That and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee. We have no proof, yet."

And if focusing on two child murders isn't tricky enough, the task force is investigating a third homicide.

More than a month before Angie's kidnapping, someone kidnapped Amy Bohn, 20, outside a Chesterfield restaurant and killed her. The bodies of both Bohn and Angie were dumped a short distance off rural roads. Bohn and Cassidy were both beaten on the head. Those and other similarities were strong enough to spark the task force's interest.

So each morning, about 45 detectives from St. Louis County, the city and the Major Case Squad huddle at the county's police academy in Wellston for a briefing. They then break into three teams: one for each victim.

Since they started work on Dec. 9, the day Cassidy's body was found, the flood of phone tips has slowed to a trickle. An FBI computer keeps track of the information and cross-references leads. Thousands have been exhausted. Local police do the legwork, while FBI lab experts sift through the crateload of evidence shipped to Washington.

"What we're doing now is going back and doing a ground zero homicide investigation from beginning to end, all over again," said Maj. Jerry Adams, commander of the task force.

"We're making sure there wasn't something missed."

A Great Lead Fizzles

On Oct. 4, Amy Bohn left her waitress job at KC Masterpiece Barbecue and Grill in Chesterfield. Co-workers last saw her walking to her car about 10:30 p.m.

The next day, a motorist found Bohn's body, partly clothed, in a wheat field just off County Road 272 in Montgomery County, about 13 miles north of Hermann, Mo. Electrical tape bound her face and hands. Someone had killed her with a blow to the head.

Bohn's car was found a few blocks from the restaurant, with the keys still in the ignition. Droplets of blood were found inside the vehicle. Her purse lay on a hill near the restaurant.

Police quickly speculated that Bohn had left with her killer or killers and that someone had moved her car after her death to make it appear as though she'd been kidnapped. The FBI is analyzing the electrical tape.

Once again, a potentially great lead developed.

"We got a big break when we identified a palm print lifted from her car," said an investigator. "The print was that of a co-worker, and we got our hopes up."

And, once again, those hopes evaporated.

During several hours of questioning, the man admitted he'd touched or leaned against her car but insisted he had no role in her death. Police have cleared him.

An `Extremely Violent' Death

On Nov. 18, Angie Housman hopped from her school bus at the corner of Wright Avenue and St. Gregory Lane in St. Ann. The bus stop was about a block from her parents' duplex.

A fourth-grader at Ritenour's Buder School, Angie walked up the street alone, carrying her blue-and-white book bag. She never made it home.

Nine days later, a hunter found the girl's body near a wooded ravine in the August A. Busch Wildlife Area in St. Charles County.

Authorities have kept secret how Angie died. They refuse to divulge details, even to her parents, except to say that her death was "extremely violent." Police say disclosing such information might prompt a rash of time-consuming bogus confessions.

On the day Angie was buried, police in north St. Louis County were into the second day of their search for a another girl reported missing - Cassidy Senter. Someone abducted Cassidy on Dec. 1 as she walked to a friend's home to string Christmas lights.

Cassidy's personal alarm, a yellow device the size of a transistor radio, was found sounding shrilly in a neighbor's yard. Cassidy, a fifth-grader at Hazelwood's Garrett Elementary School, had been taught to trigger the alarm if trouble loomed.

On Dec. 9, two teen-age boys found Cassidy's body wrapped in the bedspread and quilt in a St. Louis alley. She had been beaten severely on the head.

Police formed the task force that day.

Questioning Suspects

The similarities were striking. Angie and Cassidy were about the same age and height. Both vanished about the same time of day, within a block of their homes. In each case, no one had seen a thing.

As usually happens when a child is murdered, police focused first on family members and friends. They dug into the backgrounds of the girls' families, examining the drowning of a relative of Angie's and a suspicious fire that destroyed a home where Cassidy once lived.

"We brought in a guy who we think set the fire, but he's no killer," said a detective.

Immediately after the discovery of Angie's body, police questioned a man who had been convicted in a highly publicized abduction-murder more than 20 years ago. He offered an alibi as well as hair and blood samples.

Later, when Cassidy's body was found, the same man appeared at the task force office. "I knew you'd be looking for me," he said, volunteering to take a lie detector test.

For a time, investigators set their sights on Gary H. Stufflebean, an auditor who lives in Texas. He resembled a composite sketch of a man seen trying to abduct a girl in early November in Maryland Heights. Stufflebean has been charged with kidnapping but cleared in the murders.

Other suspects bobbed to the surface, one of them from St. Ann, Angie's hometown. He had served time in prison for raping a teen-age girl and binding her with tape. His former cellmate is a South County car dealer, thus fitting part of the FBI theory that the killer may have had access to several vehicles.

Investigators even located a former police officer convicted about three years ago of attempted kidnapping at Chesterfield mall. In that crime, police found a bag of lollipops, duct tape, two handguns and handcuffs in his car. The man is now on parole and living in Texas.

Investigators wound up scratching him off their list.

How Many Killers?

Some investigators believe that two men were needed to grab a girl, force her into a vehicle and drive off without drawing attention.

Others think different people killed all three; still others are convinced that the same man or men killed Angie and Cassidy, and that Bohn's case is unrelated.

When the focus was only on Angie and Cassidy, the FBI posed a question to investigators: What were the chances that two people with no connection to each other could abduct and kill two girls in a community this size?

"They felt the greatest likelihood is that it is one person, but this is not an exact science," an officer said.

So is a serial killer at work?

"Historically, statistics would show you that, generally, you wouldn't have three or four people around in one metropolitan area at the same time doing the same thing," Adams said. "But then again, that's not to say that it hasn't happened."

Police are even taking a close look at Lewis S. Lent Jr., a janitor from Massachusetts suspected in a number of abductions and killings on the East Coast. He's among several suspected serial killers across the country that task force members are investigating.

"We have to keep ourselves abreast of what's going on, if there's a possibility that that person may have traveled through here and spent maybe two months and picked up and left," Adams said.

Investigators aren't wed to one particular scenario. They don't want to risk "tunnel vision."

"I would imagine if you talked to 10 different people, experienced investigators, and asked them `How do you read this?' at least five or six would have a different opinion," said Adams.

"These are difficult cases to work on."

Meanwhile, some relatives remain optimistic. Jon Bone, Angie's stepgrandfather is convinced that police will catch the killer.

"I've got faith," he said. "There were a couple times I got my hopes up. I thought they had him."

So did the police. Caption: MAP, GRAPHIC

What I want to know is the Man who moved to Texas were his prints ever ran to compare the partial print to Angies? The fact he is a former Police Man is disturbing. Is it possible the man who moved to Texas is the same man that killed Amber Hagerman? To this day no one has been found for the murder of Ambers crime either. Amber and Angie were both 9. There have been leads of people saying a dark truck was in the area of Saint Ann. There was also a description of a dark truck with a possible white or Hispanic male that grabbed Amber. Is it possible Amber and Angies case are connected? Both cases have little evidence to go on. I know they found fibers at the scene where Amber died. Did they find perhaps fibers at the scene of Angies crime and they are withholding that? Did anyone ever compare the fibers from Ambers scene and Angies if there were any found? Not all killers use the same methods to kill every time. In studies it even shows by the time a sex offender is caught if he is even caught at all has already offended 50-150 children.
I mean think about that. I always felt Angie was the killers first victim he killed. In his mind though I don't feel he takes remorse for her death after all he left her there alive. I do not believe Angie knew her killer I never have. I think that because if she had been found alive she could have identified him. If found alive a distraught childs description of a killer with only a partial print does not get you far. If she did know him she knew of him but it ends there. Perhaps through the years he got better at what he did and was not afraid any longer to kill the victim himself. I do not think he killed himself. I think he is alive and well and hides in plain site. I think he is of course older by now and is well liked.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbya
Back