GUILTY MO - Carl DeBrodie, 31, Fulton, disabled, beaten to death, encased in concrete, 17 Apr 2017 *Arrests

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
mpnola thanks for your input. I think we can all agree that there is a lot of paperwork for each month to be filled out and signed in order to get paid for Carl's care. If we could get a sample of each of those forms I would be willing to bet at least some of them say "under penalty of perjury" for the signature. If for each month, working backwards file a perjury charge to the appropriate defendant, they would start to cooperate to whittle down some of the charges. Plus maybe establish what month was the last month he was still alive.

JMO's

mpnola thanks for your input. I think we can all agree that there is a lot of paperwork for each month to be filled out and signed in order to get paid for Carl's care. If we could get a sample of each of those forms I would be willing to bet at least some of them say "under penalty of perjury" for the signature. If for each month, working backwards file a perjury charge to the appropriate defendant, they would start to cooperate to whittle down some of the charges. Plus maybe establish what month was the last month he was still alive.

JMO's
Yes, documentation is done daily! As well as an attendance report, of sorts, as Medicaid only allows.so many consecutive hours gone while getting paid. That's why I'm hoping it is being investigated on multiple levels. Forged documentation alone is a big deal! And what about his medication? Were they still documenting that it was being given? Where did it go? If he has any scheduled narcotics prescribed, we are into more charges and issues! This field is nothing to play with. I did everything overly right and I was still always scared that I would accidentally do something wrong and end up in court or something. It's a very intense and serious field. I hope the punishment proves that.

I have no words.

Judge holds first hearing in Carl DeBrodie's civil case

"This individual had been dead for six months before anyone knew about it," Harris said after responding to a judge's question about how the state and county offices' policies play a role in the case. "I believe they failed to have a policy to make sure documents weren't falsified," Harris said.

It was just reported that Carl DeBrodie had been deceased for at least 6 months prior to being discovered.

No link yet as none available. Will update with one when available.

It is beyond my understanding how this was even possible...of course neglect, abuse and even murder sometimes happens in those facilities...but Carl's case is just the most disgusting I have come across so far. He was defenseless and under the power of those sickos. And nobody helped him.

ETA :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
Eleven_11 thank you for finding that. "Attorney Gabriel Harris told the judge the last time face to face contact had been made with DeBrodie was September 2016." So that is about 5 months of falsified and perjured documents.

I believe any monies won at civil trial should be returned to the Budget for these facilities that was stripped by the Governor (et al) who just resigned. Much of the oversight of these places was stripped at the same time. Carl had been in this system since he turned 21. His family and/or previous Guardian are not at any monetary loss. It may not be a popular position, but punitive damages or other could go a long way to help others in the same position Carl was.

JMO

Last edited:
Well it seems the Attorney General of MO is still sticking up for state workers who were quite obviously MORE than negligent and possibly criminally negligent in the treatment and ultimate death of Carl.

CALLAWAY COUNTY Mo. - Lawyers representing Carolyn Summers and others in the Carl DeBrodie wrongful death lawsuit have responded to a pair of motions to dismiss the lawsuit and several charges.

Attorneys for the plaintiffs issued suggestions to State Attorney General Josh Hawley's June 12 request to dismiss the case.

JMO

www.abc17news.com/news/crime/attorneys-respond-to-motions-to-dismiss-carl-debrodie-wrongful-death-lawsuit/763043518

Any of us could be a stroke or any other situation away to put us in the same position depending on others to care for us. We haven't discussed it in a while but earlier in the thread it was, that in this case the State DID have an option of someone to care for Carl. It was DENIED by the State and the County. Eventually saying we are more capable than you...now look at the result! I wish I knew how to contact this agency to put together a petition to send to the Governor.

"Most importantly, these services are for those individuals who will need them on a permanent basis and extends to those who may become bedridden and can do little or nothing for themselves. You will be able to determine when your loved one reaches a point where they are unable to safely and adequately care for themselves. This may be when they can no longer dress themselves, perform toileting for themselves, or handle their medications safely. At this point, you may wish to take on these responsibilities for your loved one in your home or theirs. Or, you may decide to have someone else provide part or all of the needed services."

www.mcqc.com/home/inhomecare.html

The cases of filing a false police reports against suspects are flying toward trials such as this one against Mary Paulo. I guess since the LE was out on a wild goose chase and inconvenienced they are getting their pound of flesh first. Jury trial in August on the 21st. I am glad this case is finally moving, don't get me wrong. Sherry Paulo who has the most serious charges also on the same date. According to casenet.MO

JMO

07/12/2018 Jury Trial Scheduled
Scheduled For: 08/21/2018; 9:00 AM ; J. HASBROUCK JACOBS; Setting: 10; Callaway
Pre-trial Conference Scheduled
Scheduled For: 08/20/2018; 9:00 AM ; J. HASBROUCK JACOBS; Callaway
Trial Setting Held
TRIAL SET 08/21/2018, 10TH SETTING, DIV 1, JURY ORDERED PRE TRIAL HEARING SET 9AM 08/20/2018, DIV 1. DEFENDANT ORDERED TO APPEAR. KC/skt/kb
Scheduled For: 06/18/2018; 8:59 AM ; KEVIN M J CRANE; Callaway
Judge Assigned

Last edited:
BENEFITCONCERT_1534037893585_12760922_ver1.0_640_360.JPG

HOLTS SUMMIT, Mo. - People in Holts Summit came together Saturday night for a benefit concert to honor a disabled Fulton man who lost his life last year.

Benefit concert held to honor Carl DeBrodie and help fund foundation

Nurse pleads guilty to charges in connection to Carl DeBrodie case

Melissa Denise DeLap, 49, of Columbia, waived her right to a grand jury and pleaded guilty in federal court.

DeLap, a community registered nurse, was hired to look after four patients at a supported living program operated by Second Chance Homes in Fulton.

One of those patients was DeBrodie, who died in early September 2016. He was reported missing on April 17, 2017. His body was found encased in concrete a few days later, leading to a federal investigation.

DeLap is subject to a sentence of up to 10 years in federal prison without parole. A sentencing hearing has yet to be scheduled.

Melissa Denise DeLap, 49, of Columbia, waived her right to a grand jury and pleaded guilty in federal court.

DeLap, a community registered nurse, was hired to look after four patients at a supported living program operated by Second Chance Homes in Fulton.

One of those patients was DeBrodie, who died in early September 2016. He was reported missing on April 17, 2017. His body was found encased in concrete a few days later, leading to a federal investigation.

DeLap is subject to a sentence of up to 10 years in federal prison without parole. A sentencing hearing has yet to be scheduled.

Once again, it’s all about the mighty dollar. Why are people so greedy? How can they sleep at night? It also makes me wonder how often this kind of stuff happens:

“Second Chance Homes submitted monthly claims to Medicaid for DeLap's services, receiving a $38 payment for each of DeLap's visits. This amount was then paid to DeLap, who earned a total of $2,500 while under investigation.

DeLap also did not provide services for the other three residents, despite being paid to do so.

Under the terms of Monday's plea agreement, DeLap must pay $106,795 in restitution to Medicaid. She must also surrender her nursing license within six months and will be forbidden from seeking another one anywhere in the United States.

DeLap is subject to a sentence of up to 10 years in federal prison without parole. A sentencing hearing has yet to be scheduled.“ (BBM)

I believe the most important thing the Civil case has done is to shake loose some of the evidence that was not being revealed before then. Once Pandora's box was opened the information started pouring out, shocking as it is.

The public needs to see the damages being done by allowing the State to continue to cut funds from mental health agencies and protections for at risk mentally challenged people. To me that's what the Civil case should be all about. If the Attorney General stands in the way of that he should have to pay dearly at the Ballot box when he runs for Senator.

JMO

Judge dismisses state from DeBrodie civil suit

A federal judge dismissed several people from the state Department of Mental Health who were named in a lawsuit by Carl DeBrodie's family.

Judge Doug Harpool ruled that the department, along with several top leaders, could not be sued for constitutional violations due to sovereign immunity, and that DeBrodie's family could not point to specific instances that their actions led to DeBrodie's death.

Judge dismisses state from DeBrodie civil suit

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18
Back