MO MO - Dennis Spriggs, 47, LaBelle, 15 July 1992

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I unlocked the links from previous posts so that documents are available. I am not going to start uploading everything right now, it would be overwhelming and I really want to hear thoughts about that recording. I will upload one document now though. I wrote out a word for word conversation that occured in March of '06 within 24 hours of the phone call. This was our 3rd to last conversation that we ever had. This is the conversation where she came as close to admitting to me what was going on as she ever did.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/47436271/march29-06-conversation

The FBI called this "the confession letter".

Cforgy I wonder if anyone is having problems with opening the recording? I can't seem to get it to open...

Hmm, we can open it fine here. Anybody else having problems?

I was able to open it and listen to the interview. It was very chilling. Lucky, that just isn't the same girl who was my very good friend. I recognized the voice definitely, and it brought back so many good memories, and I could picture her sitting there talking to me! However, she seemed to be so cold, and distant, and controlled during the whole thing that the picture quickly changed.
I couldn't get over how she seemed bent on telling stories that would put you and your dad in a very bad light (and her in a good one)---like if she could convince him about how you complained about everything from childhood (her description) it would make him discount all the feelings and details that you had shared and that he had evidently been able to back up in his investigation. She seemed to focus on your dad's "depression" (her term) and health issues like that would also discount his evidence. What really got me though was how she laughed at his accusations. I know this wasn't news to her, but the Jeanne I knew would have still have been shocked and truly frightened that someone would even think her guilty of such things---never mind that she could be found guilty in a court of law and sentenced for them. Do you know if she is on any medication like Prozac to help her control her emotions? I don't know how else to account for it other than that---or that she is guilty but believes that she has everyone but you totally snowed and that nothing will ever touch her so she is actually comfortable with what she appears to have done. That frightens me because that could mean that she will continue to do these things as long as she feels that she can't be caught.
(I'll try to answer your other questions in another post.)

Roomie- You know her very well, I can tell. I have thought the same thing for years and years. I always wondered if this could be the result of prescription drugs. People deserve to fight out the challenges of life in privacy with their families and loved ones there to help them. I always tried to help my mother along the way in life without disclosing any problems I perceived her as having. I didn’t even discuss my concerns about prescription drugs to my siblings, I always went directly to her. When I knew she had forged credit cards in my name, or stolen money, I didn’t tell them those things about her, I went directly to her. I even attempted to hire a private investigator when she started asking me for money again while she was married to Roy, (and before he got so ill) because I wanted to find out what she kept doing with all of her money. I wanted to HELP her. I confronted her about all of her pills, and all of the different doctors names on the bottles. She would deny things going on, even if things were right in front of me. Would she be the first person with a substance problem? Of course not, and we all would’ve helped her and understood. The investigator laughed at me on the phone, told me he refused to take money from me to investigate my mother who was “snorting her house up her nose”. Those were his exact words! I gave up on looking into what was wrong- but I decided, as you suggested Roomie, that this woman changing in front of me since I was a little girl, had problems that I couldn’t understand, and I was going to love her anyway. Little did I know, that by poking and prodding into her personal life so much, and asking about Roy, and why she wanted money, and what were all of those pill bottles, little did I know that I had made myself a target.
I think that any of us would stand by and help a loved one through any tragedy, until you see people dying or getting harmed. My cousin and his wife are serving 25 years in prison, sentenced last year, because they picked up a teen-age girl and kept her, and tortured her sexually for a week. My aunt said she never saw it coming- and you know what- I did. I did see it coming. His first attempted sexual assault that I knew about was when he was about 8 years old… and no one talked about it or dealt with it. We have a very small family, and it is filled with people who refuse to see anything wrong, except for if someone says “something’s wrong”. My family accused me of thinking I was perfect, having to be right all the time, and being so manipulative that I could convince anyone of the crazy things that I say. First of all, no one ever knew these things at all, until my mother told them. I never brought my suspicions up to them- EVER, she did. I didn’t know she was working the back side of these conversations, telling people I was crazy, while convincing me she would explain everything to me. I was so upset that everyone said I thought I was perfect, that I went out, bought my first alcoholic drink ever, had the whole bottle, and called up my aunt to make sure she told everyone. Then I wrote to them when she forgot to tell them, and said, “I’m half-way through this bottle of wine right now.” I was trying to set a good example by showing them- they are more important to me than being perfect, and it’s not so bad to just be honest if you do something. Big DEAL, you know? Well, all I received back were letters that I wasn’t going to be able to join them in heaven, and that I was evil. I just couldn’t get any breakthrough on any level I tried with them.
I am saying the above to show that I have made many mistakes in life, I do not judge other people, and I really am not saying anything out here to cause harm to my mother. I really did this as a journey to check my own mental state, and clear up matters of the truth for myself- which frankly have come into more clear focus as I move along. The scariest thing, and the reason I bring up such a long entry about the prescription drugs, is that to my- well.. the only word I have for it is to my horror… I discovered that these apparent lack of emotions I am seeing from her, no matter how they developed, have a life of their own regardless of any other substances involved. I have seen her go from one relationship to another, throwing everything in the garbage as she goes. Did you know that the people who live in my grandparents house now gave me an old camera that they found of my grandpa’s. I was in tears! I was there to take a picture or two of the house, and visit their graves. The man said, “It’s nice to see someone come by that actually cares about them, when the people were here cleaning out the house, they just threw everything in the garbage, pictures.. everything.” (my mother was cleaning out the house.) These people had known my grandparents for 40 years.
I am so interested to hear what you remember about her in high school and college. She was so intelligent, so musically talented, so beautiful, had so much going for her… and I just don’t know what happened. I just don’t know….
Now that people are dying, it is my obligation to ask questions, I have to.

names off the top of my head that I remember seeing frequently on pill bottles as a teenager and even to when she was married to Bruce:

vicodin, Oxycontin (just a time or two on that one after back surgeries) zoloft, lots of drugs that were diazapenes (?) endings, sleeping pills, lots and lots of lortabs, (she told the Fulfords one time that her lortabs were so good after surgery that "she could get 10 bucks a pop for them on the streets". (not sure on the amount lol) gosh.. too many to remember off the top of my head, but percodans, porcocets, anything for pain or sleep basically, or anxiety or depression or diets.

Probably the biggest questions I have are related to who she was, so that I can pinpoint when possible changes occured. (or- did she have the same core personality traits back then, and situations just pushed her to some of these actions.) Did she over-exaggerate stories a lot to the point of having a problem with the truth? Did she love to be the center of attention? My dad used to say that if he tied her hands behind her back she couldn't talk because when she told stories her arms would go everywhere to accentuate the importance and make things more dramatic. I just wondered if you had any insight to her relationship with honesty back then. Thank you so much! And remember- there are always two sides to a story- I am doing my best to find the truth from my perspective.

Way back then, your mother was very shy and quiet in public. She didn't do anything to attract attention to herself; she was not big on volunteering in class because of the shyness---even though she most likely had some excellent additions to make to any discussions. She became more confident as we progressed, and she participated more, but was still mostly quiet. In private, she was very different! As your father said, she would be very animated when she talked, especially if she was excited about something. We had lots of serious conversations, but we had so many good times---laughing until our sides hurt! One time in particular that I remember was the trip the three of us (your father, mother, and I) made to Victor to take some things to their first apartment before the wedding. We packed a picnic lunch, packed the car, and drove there and back one day. The three of us had such a great time---talked and laughed all the way up and back! I think of that trip every time I'm on route 63 north of Kirksville---and it still makes me smile.
The young woman that I knew appeared to love her family sooo much---I was jealous of how she and Jimmy got along because I don't have a good relationship with my own sibling. As I said before, he was the little brother that I never had--- and wished I did. She also seemed to genuinely like your father's parents, and she was very comfortable around them.
I felt that she was a genuinely lovely person---and I had no reason to feel otherwise during those years. We were such good friends, and I felt that she was honest with me.
The only time that I was ever surprised by her was when I read the newspaper article about her wedding. It was a beautiful picture of her, and the article was very nice. Towards the end, however, it was mentioned that the bride designed her wedding gown. I guess that might depend on your definition of the word "design", but I knew that wasn't true. Your grandmother made your mother's gown from the same pattern that she used for mine---train and all. They were made of different fabrics, and your mother had the short sleeve version while I chose the 3/4 sleeve version---but they were just different versions of the same pattern---both options shown on the front of the pattern envelope. Maybe she considered that "designing"---maybe she figured that the only one who would know the difference (me) was halfway across the country and wouldn't see the article---but my mother-in-law sent it to me.
I never said anything to her because I felt it was minor and pointless---and I only bring it up now because you asked. As I said---that was the only time that I was ever aware of any "exaggeration" on her part. I never had reason to question anything else. One other thing that keeps coming back to me though is her eyes. When she was happy, they sparkled, but much of the time there was something about them that might make you think that she was very sad about something----or thinking about something very deep. Could she have been struggling with something back then? I don't know, but her eyes are unforgettable.
Please understand that I am not judging anyone here. If she did all of this, there is something seriously wrong, and she needs help. (I know you know that.) I certainly couldn't fault her for any possible medications that she may need to help control her emotions in light of what has gone on in her life whether she caused it or not. She was my dear friend and I care about her still. It breaks my heart that her life has gone in this direction---just as it broke my heart when I learned about all of the Howards. I sincerely wish there were something I could do to help her.

One other thing that keeps coming back to me though is her eyes. When she was happy, they sparkled, but much of the time there was something about them that might make you think that she was very sad about something----or thinking about something very deep. Could she have been struggling with something back then? I don't know, but her eyes are unforgettable.

That's the same thing I said.

Hi Everyone..... Lucky I just listened to the interview. It also gave me chills. But I just have to ask you about the food allergy that was talked about. I was never aware of this. Is this true?

That's the same thing I said.

I thought the same thing when I read that, I remember you making a point of commenting about her eyes cforgy, and how you would never forget them. I had a close friend who said she was sitting in the hot tub with my mom after my dad died and she will never forget her eyes because she saw something that made her know something was very wrong.

The young woman that I knew appeared to love her family sooo much---I was jealous of how she and Jimmy got along because I don't have a good relationship with my own sibling. As I said before, he was the little brother that I never had--- and wished I did. She also seemed to genuinely like your father's parents, and she was very comfortable around them.

I think her family was the only real connection she had in life. In her auto biography she dedicates most of her time to writing about her wonderful childhood, and various ways things worked back then. She wrote me an email one time that I may have posted here, that said, "you may notice that I didn't write about you kids much in here, but this is my autobiography, and I am writing things that were important to me and my life. When you write your autobiography you can write things about yourselves." (this was an unsolicited comment, I hadn't even seen her autobiography yet when she made that comment to me.)

I know that toward the end, before everyone died, then she hadn't seen her mother in 5 years, and her brother had told me that he didn't care what I had to do, to get her out there, because this was unacceptable. She complied, but it was the last year that ANY of them were alive. My uncle died that November after coming through to see her and us, and my grandma died 5 months after that, and my grandpa another 10 months after that. (she said he just wouldn't die, and then she told people she was going to go to missouri to help him die because he'd been trying to for a long time.)

In the end, a lot of this can be merely circumstantial, or horrible luck. I can see everything as having an alternative reason for occuring, but in it's totality I don't see it. I think that what I saw in her salt is what keeps me sane about all of this. If I hadn't seen that, I would be spinning in circles still.

Roomie, I will answer a few more lines of what you wrote specifically later. Your post was very insightful, and helped me to mourn the person that I remember that she used to be also. (before I was 8)

Hi Everyone..... Lucky I just listened to the interview. It also gave me chills. But I just have to ask you about the food allergy that was talked about. I was never aware of this. Is this true?

Melis, that i know of, his severe stomache problems that were limiting his ability to work at the end of his life, somehow someone said that it was late onset food allergies. No one could come up with any other reason for why he was throwing up and having severe gastro issues that started occuring. I guess that could happen??? But allergies are more like skin reactions, etc. not out and out vomiting and diahreah. More violent reactions are like a food poisoning not an allergy from my understanding. :(

I asked my counselor why it seems to be helping to have talked this out over the last year (in counseling and on this website) and she said that the purpose is to “drain off the poison” as she put it. I think that I need to drain a little off here about my grandma. I am deeply affected to even think about writing about her final months, but if it helps me put it in the right place, then I need to do it. I am not very happy to write what I remember about this time, but here it goes. Who knows if any of this was purposeful or not, but at the very minimum there were completely inappropriate reactions to deaths, exaggerations that things were worse than they were, and words and actions to start separate those of us who were still living.
I tried to go visit my grandma in LaBelle about every 6 months at that time because she was alone with my grandpa in the nursing home. I lived in Utah, and she was in Missouri, so it was hard, but I loved her so I looked forward to seeing her. I also called her every morning, knew the squirrels names and birds names that lived in her yard, and I think every single story she might ever have going on in her life for the last 2 years. My husband and 3 young children and I had driven to LaBelle for Thanksgiving with her so she wouldn’t be alone. We had been there for just a few hours when my mother called me and said that Uncle Jim had “blown out one side of his brain” from an aneurism, and was probably not going to make it, or if he was, he’d be a vegetable his entire life. She then told me that I wasn’t supposed to tell grandma because Aunt Carole didn’t want her to know. I called to my aunt’s house and got my cousin I think- (all kind of a daze- it was horrible) and later my aunt called me and was very upset that I knew, and kept repeating and repeating that I wasn’t to tell my grandmother because my aunt had to focus on Jim, and couldn’t get grandma down there right now, and maybe Uncle Jim would make it through, no one knew yet. She was very upset that I knew, and for the first time in my life yelled at me because she mis-heard something I asked and thought I told my grandma. I was out on the porch on the cell phone a lot crying, and hiding the fact that my only uncle was dying in a hospital, and I was watching my grandma happily make us thanksgiving dinner. It was pure hell- but I didn’t tell her because I decided this was something my Aunt’s wishes needed to be kept even though my grandma may never see her own son again. Awful stuff… and she never did see him alive again, and sometimes I wish I’d put her in the car and driven her to Oklahoma, but I didn’t. He died on December 5th. My aunt was in denial clear up until he died about a week later, she wouldn’t accept that this was it.
My mom never had any denial, but was immediately on the story that I was too sick to go to my uncle’s funeral. (which was so crazy since I had just driven to Missouri to see my grandma a mere week and a half before.) My aunt had called me saying it was so important that I come to his funeral, and I said I would never miss it of course, and I was coming. My mom kept calling me and telling me not to go because I was too sick, and finally I stopped taking her phone calls because I was grieving my uncle, trying to make arrangements, and was not too sick to go. Apparently during this time, my mother had arranged to meet my sister and my grandma at the Kansas City airport and drive down to Tulsa together, but no one told me about this or invited me, so I went alone. The following link is what happened in December of 2005 to the best of my recollection. The next entry will show what happened to my grandma right after.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/48067463/dec-2005-calendar

I am not going to discuss much about my uncle’s death and funeral right now except to say that my aunt said later that she was mortified by my mother’s behavior who was treating the funeral like a party. I don’t remember that at all, I think I was in a daze- I was so worried about my grandma who came up to me and said, “I can’t live without Jim!” and fell in my arms. I do remember my mom complimenting me on my suit, and asking me where I got it, and that she needed to get a good funeral suit too. I told her she looked fine. Anyway, my mom left the day after his funeral with my grandma back to Missouri. Over the course of the next 10 days or so she helped my grandma transfer all estate paperwork from my Uncle’s name over to my mother’s name as being the executor, including banks, etc. I had just seen my grandma at Thanksgiving at length. She was carrying in two grocery bags at a time, made thanksgiving dinner for all of us, was walking to the nursing home and back every day to see my grandpa just for the exercise unless it was too snowy (instead of driving). She had just been up on her roof cleaning leaves out of rain gutters that fall as well! She appeared to be very healthy. The death of her own son could have caused her grief to the point that the following happened, but I just don’t know. On the December 2005 calendar you see that my mom left my grandma around the 21st of December. My aunt, though grieving herself, didn’t want my grandma alone for Christmas, so she drove to LaBelle (about 8 hours) for a late Christmas. I don’t remember the date exactly, but she arrived about a week after my mom left. My aunt immediately admitted my grandma to the nursing home where my grandpa was. She said that my grandma had so much pain she couldn’t even hardly walk to the bathroom, and had been throwing up for about 2-3 weeks severely. She was malnourished, and even vomiting up later what we found out to be her own feces. Why my mother did not notice her in this horrific condition the week before, I will never know. Apparently she had lost about 10 lbs just like that. After arriving to the nursing home, they decided to admit her to the hospital in Kirksville about 10 days later for further examinations. Below is the history and physical top portion of what they said when she arrived on Jan 9th.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/48067480/top-of-history-and-physical-at-entrance-grandma

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/48067494/jan-2006-calendar

stepping away, goal to finish this today and put it behind me.

Wow, wow and triple wow. I can't think of a single thing to say to all of this. Hanging on to the edge of my seat, waiting for the rest.

My Aunt told me to get to Missouri that day (Jan 9th) or the next and be with grandma in the hospital while they ran tests. My mother couldn’t go until the week-end, and my aunt said she was emotionally exhausted from being at my Uncle’s side while he died. I made arrangements with my husband and kids to go immediately, but my mother called and told me not to go as I mentioned some pages back in this thread. She said that my grandma was embarrassed by her illness, and didn’t want to see anyone but my mother. I told her I didn’t believe that, and I was going to go, and that grandma and I were very close, and she would not be embarrassed to be sick around me. She told me not to call her because her arm was too weak to reach out and pick up the phone at the hospital, and if we rang the phone, it would disturb her. I called my Aunt, told her what my mom was saying, and she said, “that’s a lie, get out there, or I will because grandma can’t be alone.” I called my grandma and told her I was going to come out, and she answered the phone by herself. My sister called me and I told her that I was going to go out there, and she said that mom said not to, and I told her that I had just talked to grandma and told her I was coming. She told me we weren’t supposed to call grandma, and I told her that Aunt Carole told me that was not true, and grandma wanted calls and could get the phone just fine, and my sister yelled at me and asked me why I say such horrible things about my mother. I told her this was not about mom but about grandma, and I was going out. All of a sudden my mom was calling me, and she told me I was not to go under any circumstances because this was HER mother, and she was going to go see her first, period. So, as I mentioned some pages back, she went out to Missouri about 6 days later, and my grandma sat alone at the hospital until that time.
She stayed about 5 days I think, and when her shift was over, then I went a few days later. When I was out there, she called me and told me that she was going to overnight all of grandma’s journals to me. She said that she had never thought that my grandma might be going back home, but now that it appeared that she might, she wanted to quickly have me replace about 15 journals she’d taken. She had taken the journals and assumed my grandma wasn’t ever coming back before we got the diagnosis. For some reason there was a possibility that grandma might come home and be treated there, but in the end, it was decided that she live in the nursing home where my grandpa was, and be treated there.
They discovered that my grandma had multiple myeloma, and that the cancer was spreading quickly in her bloodstream. She had severe diverticulosis which was causing a blockage and that was why she was vomiting and also could not use the bathroom. Apparently this causes a lot of pain, and could have been why her back was hurting so badly as well. So, the entire illness could have been in process for some time, and just aggressively manifested itself right at that unfortunate time.

A few things that happened over the course of the next few months until my grandmother passed away at the end of March.

• She told us the story that grandma’s teeth were splintering and that wasn’t true
• When she took her shifts with grandma, she had a list of all of her belongings that she might want to give away to friends after she died. Who would get the jellies she made, who would get the material, what did she want her obituary to say, etc.
• She faked the story that her mom was dying that one night and left Bruce in the hospital with his recently amputated leg, then hopped in my car and asked to drive by the store for a nice funeral suit first. Then she said she wasn’t leaving Missouri until grandma died, even though my Aunt who was a doctor, said that my grandma could be alive for months still and the story was made up.
• She opened my grandma’s top dresser drawer and showed me some of the things she was looking forward to getting such as jewelry handed down, etc. She knew right where to go and had picked the items out on her very first trip where she had taken the journals.
• She had it in her head that my grandma was going to die on Easter Sunday, and started arranging a funeral for her before she was even dead. My grandma lived until the next day and died on her own birthday, so my mom had to rearrange everything, but said it was still beautiful that she died on her birthday even though she missed dying on Easter Sunday.
• She read an entire journal that my grandma left just for me, made copies of it and distributed it to everyone before I even knew it existed, and gave me a copy instead of the original.
• She bragged to us about what a wonderful speech she gave at her funeral, and that she had people in tears.
• My Aunt said the funeral was an embarrassment to her (to my aunt) because my mom was running around acting like she was at a reunion and talking and laughing and not mourning her mother. I didn’t go to the funeral because my grandma requested that I spend more time with her while she was alive rather than save my time for the funeral, and I honored that request.
• My grandpa died about a year later, and as I mentioned before, my grandparents were poor, and their entire estate I think turned out to be less than 6 figures, to be split between my mother and Jim’s wife and children. (half to my mother, half to Jim’s family.) My Aunt and Uncle had put in their air conditioning, gotten them a new refrigerator, and several other things over the past few years to keep the house livable for them as they got older. After my grandma and grandpa died over the next year, my aunt had to hire an attorney she said to get her half out of my mother who was trying to keep it all, but she did end up getting her half.

Anyway, the above doesn’t mean that my mother did anything intentional to my grandmother. It really isn’t clear at all, and my grandma was older and depressed from the loss of her son. I think it shows the possibility is there, but mainly it shows how callously she treated people’s emotions during this time, and how she seemed to be enjoying the process, and getting everything out of it that she could, and was even willing to pit people against each other to make sure that she got what she wanted during this time. I have frowned from the inside out during the entire time I wrote about my grandma, exhaling, and gonna try to put this one behind me now.

One sad thing is, that within 4 months of my grandma’s death that she started telling people behind my back that I was going to die. If I had not escaped the situation, she would’ve lost her mother, father, brother and oldest daughter all within that brief time frame- and of course her husband 11 months after that.

When she was happy, they sparkled, but much of the time there was something about them that might make you think that she was very sad about something----or thinking about something very deep. Could she have been struggling with something back then? I don't know, but her eyes are unforgettable.

Roomie- I've wanted to make a comment about your "could she have been struggling with something" comment. I know that she did have a difficult time as a young mother and young bride, and certainly once I became 9, our financial situation and housing situation changed to the point that I think she was overwhelmed. At least- that is when I saw her change a lot.

The only thing that I can think of is something strange that happened when she was having her hysterectomy about a year before we ended our relationship. I was always the one up there, helping her and Bruce, and so of course, I was the one at the hospital with her when she had this procedure done. The doctor came and talked to me and said that the reason the procedure had taken so much extra time was because of the "heavy scarring" on one side of her uterus. I told him she'd had a tubal pregnancy when I was about 12, and had surgery that may have caused that. He said no, that he saw the evidence of that surgery on the other side of her uterus. He said this was very heavy scarring, and completely different from any tubal pregnancy surgery. I actually talked to him for a while about it, waiting for my mom to come back to conciousness. When she "came to" I told her what he'd said, and she looked up in the air, blinked a few times like she was trying to get her mind together from the medicine, and then looked directly at me and said, "Don't tell Bruce about that." I said ok- and then she called Bruce about 10 minutes later and I heard her telling him that the reason the surgery went longer was because she had a bunch of scarring from her tubal ligation surgery, but that she was fine. So- another senseless lie? or did something happen when she was younger and she doesn't want me to know? Just another mom mystery that only she can tell us I guess.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back