MO - Elizabeth Olten, 9, St Martin's, 21 Oct 2009 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jodibug, you are so kind to share with us.

If you use "street view" on google maps you can see a newer white house with a pond and long driveway. It's not on the regular above view.

That IS the house. I can see it on Google Streetview.

Right next to the square there is a small gravel road. Put the person down there and then look around.

It is sitting back off the road at the end of a long, winding gravel driveway.

I wish I knew how to post the pic but I don't.

But what KIND of search dogs Jodibug. There are differences. Like if you wanted to drive up a steep road on a mountain, you wouldn't use a sports car but an SUV-type vehicle; and if you were going to race someone on a flat oval track, you would bring out the sports car and not use the SUV. The term, a dog-is-a-dog-is-a-dog, just isn't correct (meaning what they are trained to do and their uses).

I heard on the radio this morning there was a dog from Angola(sp) prison in Jeff City and one from Boone County Sheriff Task Force One. Task Force one dogs were also used in NYC after 9/11 to search for survivors.

Hope that helps

Looking at the driveway, do you think she would shortcut behind the houses instead of going out to the road? Surely they've searched back there.

Jodibug thank you for all the info that you give. Please dont let us get you in trouble. We look forward to you coming back on line when you can.

I wanted to share this article in regards to pinging a phone and the accuracy.

My concern is this area where she is missing from is about an 1/8 mile from a major state highway "50 Highway".

I hope they are searching the sides of the road between 50 and her house looking for the cell phone, as well as along 50.

CYSecurity was pleased to introduce you to a new, leading-edge wireless location technology called ‘Pinging’ a few months ago, however ping confidence became a major concern of ours as clients sometimes disagreed with location accuracy. And since it is the wireless carriers who actually perform the pings, we decided to investigate the accuracy of the technology to determine whether we and our clients shared unrealistic expectations of what could be delivered.

The final report on Project Locate (Locate Our Citizens At Times of Emergency), which was commissioned by the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials International (APCO), a group that has long been concerned by the limitations of the technology, revealed the startling truth: carriers are often unable to come within 300 meters of a 911 caller!

Seven carriers were tested in seven different communities across the USA. A total of 203 telephone calls per carrier were made from randomly selected areas within the sample communities. Two carriers tested used network technology primarily while five used ‘handset’ technology, meaning they use global positioning system satellites to locate callers. Generally speaking, the network solution works better in urban areas where it may be difficult for a satellite signal to penetrate buildings, but not so well in rural areas because of a lack of towers.

An analysis was also made of the number of concerns received from our customers vs. the total number of pings performed. Our conclusion is that prepaid cell phone pings are approximately 50% accurate while pings to regular plan cell phones are approximately 85% accurate.

We now understand that there are limitations to current position determining equipment and that it is certainly not perfect - however it’s as good as today’s technology allows it to be. It is reported that 253,000 calls are made to 911 from cell phones each day in the US and Canada, and that 12.4 % of households are ‘wireless only’.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) did not anticipate that so many consumers would abandon wireline phones in homes and offices. Minor variations in location data can have potentially tragic impact on the ability of first responders to find emergencies inside dense residential complexes and offices. The increased use of wireless phones in multiple-story buildings will also require potential inclusion of elevation information in the future. The FCC has also noted the increasing use of wireless phones in homes and businesses and has determined that such indoor use demands even greater levels of location accuracy.

The technology is still in its infancy, however it is a foregone conclusion that it will radically improve in the near future. And CYSecurity will bring it to you as soon as it becomes available.

Looking at the driveway, do you think she would shortcut behind the houses instead of going out to the road? Surely they've searched back there.

I've read that a neighbor said Elizabeth cut thru neighbors' back yards...said she didn't walk along the road.

And yeah -- surrrrely they have done very thorough searches of those yards & outbuildings, cars, barrels, etc....everything - we can hope.

I have heard both ways. Some people say she went towards Rt D and went through the front yards and some people were saying she cut through the back yards.

Someone reported seeing her walking along Rt D right after 6:15. Do not know if that is accurate.

One thing everyone agreed on is that she would not voluntarily go into the woods, especially since it was almost dark.

I've read that a neighbor said Elizabeth cut thru neighbors' back yards...said she didn't walk along the road.

And yeah -- surrrrely they have done very thorough searches of those yards & outbuildings, cars, barrels, etc....everything - we can hope.

Absolutely. I can guarantee you that all of those things were searched at least 3-4 times. One of those times being by me. I also concentrated on looking for any disturbances or signs that something had recently been moved.

I wanted to share this article in regards to pinging a phone and the accuracy.

My concern is this area where she is missing from is about an 1/8 mile from a major state highway "50 Highway".

I hope they are searching the sides of the road between 50 and her house looking for the cell phone, as well as along 50.

I too have wondered how close they can actually get when they ping a phone. I always thought it was a 1-2 mile radius. My sister believes they can get accurate coordinates. But I just don't know.

We did look into the grassy area between Bittersweet and Hwy 50, but just walking along Bittersweet. We were looking for a body, and probably wouldn't have seen something as small as a phone from where we were. But when I say "we", I mean my team of 21 people. I don't know if other teams actually went into the grass there to look.

That is one of the first things we did when we got there, because the car we were in parked down near Galena, and then we found out that they wanted us to start back at Rt D in Elizabeth's front yard.

So we looked in the grass on both sides of the road on our walk up to Rt D. That was before I had heard about the cell phone though. It was later in the day that I learned she had a cell phone that was believed to be in the woods. So when I walked that stretch of road I was only looking for a body, not a phone.

Thanks KCsleuth for the info. They expanded their search this morning. Also has anyone seen the neighbor? They must be a basketcase to know a child walked out their front door and hasn't been seen since. That would be a hard thing to deal with! I am sure they need everyone's prayers too.

Was there supposed to be a press conference in a few mins? Hopefully we will get some news.

Am I reading this correctly? No AA because of her dad?

UPDATE 10/23

Hundreds of people continue the search in a wooded area near Jefferson City for 9-year-old Elizabeth Olten. She left a friend’s house shortly after 6PM Wednesday and was supposed to walk a quarter mile to her home in St. Martins, just west of Jefferson City. Elizabeth’s aunt pleaded for help at a Thursday evening news conference:

Cole County Sheriff Greg White responds to criticism that the search area was not expanded:

White explains why an Amber Alert was not issued:

The girl’s father is Dale Olten. He’s the former boyfriend of missing Cole County woman Jasmine Haslag, whose abandoned car was found near Mokane. Haslag has never been found.

http://kwos.com/?p=1025#more-1025

That man is in big time out so why would he or his missing GF have any influence on this?

There was a PC at 2:10 where Gregg White said that Dale Olten's criminal past is not believed to be connected.

I do not believe that is what was meant by Sheriff White... that they didn't issue the AA due to her being Dale's daughter.

I think it is strictly because the circumstances did not fit the stringent requirements for the AA.

I don't like it. I think that there should be an alternative type of alert for these situations, but I choose to focus my energy on finding Elizabeth at this time. After she is found then we can worry about the AA system and assigning blame.

Gotta go pick up the kids & run a few errands. I'm crossing my fingers that Elizabeth is found before I get back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper