MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Washington protesters chanted: "Whose streets? Mike's Streets" and "We're young, we're strong, we're marching all night long" as they walked down H Street northeast, at one point hitting the Bladensburg Road intersection, with police not far away.

"H Street shut it down, racist cops, shut it down," they sang while shaking tambourines, clapping and drumming.

http://mashable.com/2014/08/30/protesters-march-in-d-c-streets-for-mike-brown/

Teaching for change is that like Dialing for dollars? /sarc

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/3...es-to-craft-lesson-on-race/?intcmp=latestnews

Someone please tell me how this is happening???

"Even though the police shooting of an unarmed man in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson is only weeks old and a grand jury is still trying sort out what really happened, a Washington-based nonprofit is offering a classroom lesson plan that draws a link between the incident and the revolutionary rhetoric of the 1960s Black Panther Party.

Teaching for Change says its “Teaching about Ferguson” guide can help students think critically about the shooting of Michael Brown in an Aug. 9 confrontation with police and ways they can be proactive in their own communities."

Link to Ustream of major "justice for Mike Brown" protest taking place right now Washington D.C. . Protesters taking over major streets

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/untol...&utm_medium=social&utm_content=20140830165523

OMG - this is absolutely sick - terrorists - shutting down the streets so that people can't get through. standing defiantly in front of a squad car daring the cop to arrest them. Seriously looking for a fight - daring them - these people are all so misled and uninformed. I would have expected them to let it go by now.

Thought someone asked who had the earliest video of the shooting. IMO, Mike Brady had earliest video, Emanuel Freeman, aka TheePharoah, had the first tweet and photo. No way Freeman saw the shooting based on angle of his photo. So, of the people we know about, Brady is the only one who might be a possible witness, though I doubt it.

OMG - this is absolutely sick - terrorists - shutting down the streets so that people can't get through. standing defiantly in front of a squad car daring the cop to arrest them. Seriously looking for a fight - daring them - these people are all so misled and uninformed. I would have expected them to let it go by now.

Notice the orange and yellow preprinted signs? This is an organized, coordinated effort to use Ferguson to drive up AA voter turnout in November imo.

Notice the orange and yellow preprinted signs? This is an organized, coordinated effort to use Ferguson to drive up AA voter turnout in November imo.

Oooh....had to delete what I just had written

Thankfully before I hit the "send"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm afraid a lot of what we are seeing is what happens to a democracy when it lacks an educated citizenry. :(

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Uneducated people are easier to control.

I have no problem with them trying to increase voter turnout in the AA community, because VOTING is the best way for them to make change. But blocking streets, antagonizing police and their fellow citizens and clearly breaking the law is NOT the way to do it. These kinds of these set race relations back decades. It is really sad. This kind of thing doesn't increase tolerance and understanding. It breeds hate and more hate.
:gaah:

What happens if the truth is that Brown did not have his hands in the air? Will the truth really matter to some of those people? Will they continue to claim that a "racist" cop killed a "boy" that had his hands in the air?

What happens if the truth is that Brown did not have his hands in the air? Will the truth really matter to some of those people? Will they continue to claim that a "racist" cop killed a "boy" that had his hands in the air?

My money is on YES.

What's amazingly sad, all the good that could be done ...but noooooooooo.

It won't matter TorisMom, IMO

There are going to be a lot of disappointed people all over when Officer Wilson is not indicted.

I wish I had a big bus to go pick up all those people of Ferguson who were cleaning up after the protests and holding makeshift 'school' in the library, before the sh*! hits the fan.

“We called him the gentle giant. He was a gentle giant,” said Charles Ewing, Brown’s uncle.

His family tried to get him to play football. Brown was too timid for the sport, Ewing said.

“He had never gotten into a fight in his entire life,” said Duane Finnie, a family friend.

At school, he was that kid who was full of jokes and trying to make others laugh.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...4d65e6-2257-11e4-8593-da634b334390_story.html

This changed quick after the video of the strong-armed robbery emerged and shortly after the altercation with ODW.

I'm curious what else will surface in the days and weeks to come. JMO.

Oooh....had to delete what I just had written

Thankfully before I hit the "send"

I've lost count of how many times I've done that. :giggle:

NOTE:was intending to post this in last thread but you know how that door closes...so bringing this over

Those witnesses will be questioned about what they SAW, who they spoke to and when, who else was there, and all kinds of questions about whether they discussed the content of their testimony with others and who those people were. The value of witness testimony is entirely dependent on their credibility. When credibility is lacking their testimony can be discounted.

Even at a GJ proceeding the DA has to present exculpatory evidence, including witness impeachment evidence. The DA can't just present witness testimony he/she knows is impeachable without disclosing that information. If an indictment does issue, I think a defense attorney would have a field day with the witness testimony here. And that's without knowing anything about the background of the witnesses, other than the criminal record of DJ which contains a conviction for an offense very relevant to character/propensity for telling the truth. There's also so much video and audio and taped interviews.

MO jury instructions are similar to those in other jurisdictions:

In deciding what the facts are, you may have to decide what testimony you believe and what testimony you do not believe. You may believe all of what a witness said, or only part of it, or none of it. In deciding what testimony of any witness to believe, consider the witness's intelligence, the opportunity the witness had to have seen or heard the things testified about, the witness's memory, any motives that witness may have for testifying a certain way, the manner of the witness while testifying, whether that witness said something different at an earlier time, the general reasonableness of the testimony, and the extent to which the testimony is consistent with other evidence that you believe.

The actual instructions may vary. Example from case upheld on appeal:

You are instructed that you are the sole judges of the credibility of the witnesses and of the weight and value to be given to their testimony. In determining such credibility and weight you will take into consideration the character of the witness, his or her demeanor on the stand, his or her interest, if any, in the result of the trial, his or her relation to or feeling toward the parties to the trial, the probability or improbability of his or her statements as well as all the other facts and circumstances given in evidence.
forms.lp.findlaw.com/form/courtforms/fed/cir/c8/d/ned/ned000008.pdf

MO cases set out the proper standards and requirements for impeachment:

During cross examination, a witness may be impeached at anytime by inquiring of the witness about any matter (even a collateral matter) involving (1) the witness's ability to perceive, (2) the witness's bias, (3) the witness's prior inconsistent statements, (4) the witness's prior convictions, or (5) evidence of the witness's character for truthfulness and veracity.

The ability to use extrinsic evidence to impeach (that is to say, documentary or testimonial evidence offered to combat a witness's denial of a matter during cross examination) varies depending on the method of impeachment employed. Parties are permitted to introduce extrinsic evidence to impeach a witness by showing his or her inability to perceive the events testified to; prior convictions; or to show bias, prejudice or interest in the proceeding, regardless of whether the subject of the extrinsic evidence is independently material to the case. Parties are permitted to introduce extrinsic evidence of a witness's prior inconsistent statement...
STATE OF MISSOURI, Respondent, v. ROBERT M. ALLISON, Appellant, MO Ct of Appeals, September 14, 2010

I do believe that LE mishandled at least one thing at the very start of this case. The witnesses should have never been allowed to congregate together and be allowed to share their versions with each other. However, I also understand that at the time LE had bigger issues on their hands that they were dealing with.

MOO

or at least absorb something aside from misinformation and rhetoric after all these weeks and all this discussion and coverage. Oh - right - the coverage has been less than fact filled and only fueled the flames. Nevermind then. I guess I do get it. :sigh:

Flusterated.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/3...es-to-craft-lesson-on-race/?intcmp=latestnews

Someone please tell me how this is happening???

"Even though the police shooting of an unarmed man in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson is only weeks old and a grand jury is still trying sort out what really happened, a Washington-based nonprofit is offering a classroom lesson plan that draws a link between the incident and the revolutionary rhetoric of the 1960s Black Panther Party.

Teaching for Change says its “Teaching about Ferguson” guide can help students think critically about the shooting of Michael Brown in an Aug. 9 confrontation with police and ways they can be proactive in their own communities."

*also from link

"Hipkins said his group’s lesson plan will introduce students to the history of the Black Panther movement and invite them to create their own list of demands.

Huey Newton and other Panther leaders created the demands as the basis of the group’s radical, and sometimes violent, philosophy."

WTF :confused:

*also from link

"Hipkins said his group’s lesson plan will introduce students to the history of the Black Panther movement and invite them to create their own list of demands.

Huey Newton and other Panther leaders created the demands as the basis of the group’s radical, and sometimes violent, philosophy."

WTF :confused:

Re your bolded part.

It sounds like a ransom letter :(

Is that group lesson plan even legal? Do they not need prior approval?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZogNCat