Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ANDERSON COOPER 360 DEGREES

Aired September 3, 2014 - 20:00 ET

Just ahead, though, tonight, breaking news in the Michael Brown shooting case, late word that the Justice Department is preparing to open a civil investigation into Ferguson's police department. Details on that ahead.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

COOPER: Welcome back. We have more breaking news, late word that the Justice Department is ready to launch a civil investigation into the Ferguson, Missouri Police Department. The probe is going to focus on police department practices and training.

Now today the grand jury that is going to decide whether or not to charge Officer Darren Wilson in the shooting death of Michael Brown met for the third time. Tonight a legal battle is also raging over Brown's juvenile court records.

Two media outlets have petitioned for the release of those juvenile records. The lawyers were in court today, but the hearing in St. Louis, a court official said that Michael Brown had no serious felony convictions as a juvenile.

The judge didn't give a timeline for her decision and joining me to talk about it, CNN legal analysts, Jeffrey Toobin and Mark Geragos and also legal affairs commentator, Areva Martin.

So Jeff, what do you think about this? I mean, do you think these two media organizations have a case. Should Michael Brown's juvenile records be released?

JEFFREY TOOBIN, CNN LEGAL ANALYST: You know, it kind of pains me to say it, Anderson, as a journalist because I'm always pro-disclosure, but I think the answer is no. The law in Missouri is that juvenile cases remain secret and there really is not an exception because we're all really curious.

I think a lot of people, particularly on the political right want this information to discredit Michael Brown and prove he somehow had this coming. But I don't think that's a valid justification at all. The law is the law and I don't think it should be disclosed at this point.

COOPER: Mark, one of the lawyers for the news organizations argued the primary reason to keep juvenile records confidential is protect a child from becoming an adult saddled with a stigma of a criminal record, but that expired when Michael Brown died according to this lawyer, do you agree with that?

MARK GERAGOS, CNN LEGAL ANALYST: That is an argument because the basis for sealing the juvenile records is look, everybody has indiscretions as a youth and we don't want to have somebody saddled with that in adulthood.

In this case, the interesting thing is going to be whether, and I think it will turn, if there is a criminal case filed, then I think under Missouri law, you will see if they haven't already released the records, the defense will get the records at that point.

And that doesn't mean that they will be admissible, but they will go in, they will make a petition in front of that judge where this -- the judge who supervises the juvenile court and will get access to the records because they will argue that that is something they need that can lead to admissible evidence.

So whether the news outlets win it now or if there is a criminal case, the judge has to reveal it later. I think it's going to come out.

COOPER: Areva, you say the records are completely irrelevant. Do you believe that and also if it turns out that Officer Wilson somehow knew about Michael Brown or knew of any potential cases he had as a juvenile?

AREVA MARTIN, ATTORNEY: You know, I think that's the question that's puzzling and bothering so many people, Anderson, is how could Officer Wilson had known anything about Michael Brown or his record at the time he stopped him that would have justified the excessive force that was used in this case.

And I think also there is a concern about, you know, who is a legitimate party here, who has a legitimate interest in those records? So Mark talks about the defense perhaps petitioning the court for those records.

And that seems even more plausible than the media who says they want to find out if the claims that Michael was a gentle giant as his parents said is true or not and they want to examine his character.

That really concerns me because it plays into the theory you have to be a perfect victim in order to get justice in some of these high- profile police cases and I think we saw it in Trayvon Martin.

We've seen it in some of these other cases and that's really troubling, I think to the African-American community and lots of people who are concerned about what is happening in police forces with respect to African-American males.

COOPER: Jeff, in terms of what was said in the court, court officials said that Michael Brown was never convicted of a serious A level or B level felony as a juvenile. Even given that, it's possible he could have been charged with one and just never convicted of it or he could have made a plea deal for a lesser charge. I want to be clear what was actually said in the course. TOOBIN: I think what was said in court was said with considerable precision for just the reason you're suggesting. It is important to say he was not a felon. He has never been convicted of a felony. I think that's an important part of the public record in this case.

But what his relationship, if any, to the criminal justice system remains pretty mysterious at this point, whether he's ever been charged with a felony, whether he's plead guilty to a misdemeanor or anything else or even had a conviction in a family court setting, that is unknown at this point.

GERAGOS: You know, Anderson, the way that it was parsed today leads me to believe there is a mechanism in the juvenile courts even in that state where by even if you're charged, if you stay clean for six months or a year, depending on the jurisdiction, they will dismiss the charge.

They have it. It's kind of a juvenile diversion and it sure sounded to me based upon the language that we use in court that that's probably what transpired here.

There was no conviction because once you complete this informal or formal diversion. They had two methods that then the record basically, there is no conviction and you can literally say I've never been convicted of anything.

COOPER: Mark Geragos, Areva Martin, Jeff Toobin, appreciate the discussion. Thank you.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1409/03/acd.01.html

BBM

During the last week, there were two reports of Colorado motorists unintentionally shooting themselves while sitting in their cars. In both cases, they kept a round in the chamber. Deathly afraid that the boogeyman might pop up at any moment and only a quick draw would save their life.

If officer Wilson did the same, it increases the chance that that first shot was unintentional.

Pretty sure police are trained extensively on the use of firearms.

Secondly, I keep my HD (home defense) weapons chamber loaded, and the revolver in the car doesn't require chamber loading. I have not shot myself, but if trouble came up I am sure as heck not going to worry about racking the slide at that moment.

Please post links to the two stories you cited.

Here's something to consider.

If MB had lived, he would have been charged with several felonies related to his actions on Aug 9.

If I were on a GJ, or a jury, evaluating those felony charges, I would be very interested in considering this young man's history in the past 36- 39 months-- age 15-18.

MB didn't live to be charged for his offenses of Aug 9. But just imagine if he had lived, and was charged with all of the offenses he committed that day.

This is why I said earlier that I think his juvenile offenses (and now we know there are "some"), are relevant ONLY if OW is indicted or charged with something. If OW is not charged, MB's offenses no longer matter. IMO.

Past behavior is very, very important, IMO. Especially when one side is trying to portray an individual as a "choir boy spreading the word of Jesus Christ", while we peruse multiple video camera angles of said choir boy on the same day, 10 min earlier, committing strong arm robbery, and assault. Sure didn't look to me like "spreading the word of the Lord" in those videos. Lol, maybe someone could more accurately make a Robin Hood analogy-- he was "robbing the rich to give to the poor."

I don't understand why the truth is such a problem, since so many MB "supporters" will discard it anyway. MB was who he was. His record speaks for itself, just as mine and yours does. These incessant, and dishonest efforts to feverishly buff and shine a tarnished image, and try to transform MB into false caricature of who he actually was, only make the racial agenda more and more clear, IMO. There is a consuming, obsessive, NEED driving those with this agenda to make MB into a virtuous choir boy spreading God's word, and OW the devil incarnate. Truth be damned. IMO.

:goldstar::goldstar::goldstar::goldstar::goldstar:

I couldn't agree more!

Pretty sure police are trained extensively on the use of firearms.

Secondly, I keep my HD (home defense) weapons chamber loaded, and the revolver in the car doesn't require chamber loading. I have not shot myself, but if trouble came up I am sure as heck not going to worry about racking the slide at that moment.

Please post links to the two stories you cited.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_26447490/man-accidentally-shoots-self-during-traffic-stop

http://www.9news.com/story/news/loc...in-traffic-accidentally-shoots-self/14782181/

Retweeted by STL Public Radio
Erica Smith ‏@ericasmith 3m
Investigation will look at #Ferguson's use of force, deadly force, stops, searches and arrests, Attorney General #EricHolder says.

STL Public Radio ‏@stlpublicradio 4m
AG Holder's full remarks today on #Ferguson: http://1.usa.gov/1xgwgSA

What I "glean" from Holder's remarks is that the investigation is showing there will be no "true bill" but to make everyone happy, they are still going to have their heads up the FPD's butts for the next several years. :moo:

What I "glean" from Holder's remarks is that the investigation is showing there will be no "true bill" but to make everyone happy, they are still going to have their heads up the FPD's butts for the next several years. :moo:

IMO as they should. We all saw some pretty disturbing things and several officers have been fired as the bright lights fell on Ferguston

I think it's a good smart move in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither story states they were afraid of the "boogey man" when they were shot. One is suspected of drug use, the other didn't explain.

No threats were mentioned in either story, no suggestion that the weapons were drawn in response to a threat and then "accidentally" fired and they shot themselves (though perhaps angry drug buyers/dealers or wives/girlfriends were involved).

I have been listening to Eric Holder's PC. If I were a St. Louis County police officer, I would walk off the job today. Let Holder police Ferguson. This is just what I would do personally.

Next topic:
Until an LE officer has enough experience they do have a partner. A rookie will never patrol alone. Even a new detective will have a partner until they are 'broken in'. My late husband was the night commander for the 3rd largest city in my state until he retired. He had to respond to every accident, every fatality accidental or via homicide, and so forth. By the time an officer had been on the job for at least 6 months, he or she did not patrol alone. This was just my experience in my state. Not every state is the same, obviously.

The reason Officer Wilson responded with the ambulance on the sick call is probably the nature of the call. IIRC, wasn't it a baby and the baby had respiratory failure? There could have been a suspicion of child abuse, IMO, or suspicion of impending death.

I lasted 10 years in LE spending only one year of that time on patrol. I only spent 8 months on patrol alone before I got a chance for promotion because the AFIS system was coming into being and someone had to train for it with the State Police so it could be taught to booking officers. I got lucky.

Again, I would absolutely walk off the job and leave Eric Holder to police the area if I were a Ferguson LE officer. Law enforcement in and around Ferguson will effectively be practically shut down with this so-called 'investigation'.

This is just all my personal opinion.

I think I know this one. Two officers are often sent to reports of violence, but they are in separate cars. Officer Wilson was responding to a sick child call, one officer in one car. He was leaving the sick call when he encountered MB and DJ. Riding two in a car limits there flexibility in answering calls. Two cars go to a report of altercation, second car is backup. For a sick person call only one police car would be needed freeing up the second car to back up another call if required. When we see two officers in a police car it is possible the second officer is a superior who just happens to be in the car, or two were assigned for that day. But most officers are alone in their own vehicle. jmo

The "suicide by cop" mentally disturbed black kid had a two officer car (for the theft of muffens and two energy drinks). Wonder if the rookie fired first?

Can't have one firing and not the other, that would require explaining.

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/...cle_f8ae96c1-7da3-5f51-9ab6-0da4f653dde3.html

Very sympathetic post-funeral article about MB's mother. It notes that Ms. McSpaydden went to an "affluent" StL elementary school as a transfer. Included are her notes of appreciation to multiple teachers there, who she valued greatly. Which makes it even stranger that MB did not leave Normandy HS when the expense-paid alternative became available, since he'd already switched high schools 4 times, and so many classmates opted to leave for better, safer schools.

Based only on my intuition, derived on no one thing, but a lot of little things (intuition as in the way we read body language - not psychic woo woo ;))
... I think MB might have not had a mind that was cut out for traditional academics. I see a lot of kids like that, who, unlike those who want to succeed but can't because of the disruptions or dumping down in the school or family, really have mental limits they cannot help. I think there's actually an epidemic of it, in large part due to teen pregnancy, poor prenatal and child nutrition.. And that cycle is at the heart of so many problems, but out of the scope of this thread.

As it pertains to your posts, though, (great ones, btw!) I wish we could "segregate" kids into three groups:

*academically motivated
--plus an accelerated for gifted
*trades - starting early for academic strugglers or not motivated
*disciplinary troublemakers

This is very oversimplified, but I think putting all these groups into the same basket creates a sad handicap on the first two.

I just wonder how different he might have been if MB had been able to go into a trade-focused school in his early high school years.

Based only on my intuition, derived on no one thing, but a lot of little things (intuition as in the way we read body language - not psychic woo woo ;))
... I think MB might have not had a mind that was cut out for traditional academics. I see a lot of kids like that, who, unlike those who want to succeed but can't because of the disruptions or dumping down in the school or family, really have mental limits they cannot help. I think there's actually an epidemic of it, in large part due to teen pregnancy, poor prenatal and child nutrition.. And that cycle is at the heart of so many problems, but out of the scope of this thread.

As it pertains to your posts, though, (great ones, btw!) I wish we could "segregate" kids into three groups:

*academically motivated
--plus an accelerated for gifted
*trades - starting early for academic strugglers or not motivated
*disciplinary troublemakers

This is very oversimplified, but I think putting all these groups into the same basket creates a sad handicap on the first two.

I just wonder how different he might have been if MB had been able to go into a trade-focused school in his early high school years.

That sounds a lot like Plato's Republic.

Yeah, I am not in favor of ANY racially motivated hate group, from either side. I had family members who fought on both sides of that war, and I happen to descend from the brother who survived the Yankee prison camp, because the brother that was in the Confederate prison camp died there. That's not family legend, that's published genealogy in a book that came out around 1910, but you know what? Everyone who fought on either side of that war is dead and we have come a long way since then. To be completely open, my family were somewhat prominent as preachers, teachers, LE and a few politicians (oh, the shame) but no one was really rich enough to own slaves. But again, that was so FREAKING long ago, I have to say that if you are are holding grudges or looking for justifications from way back then you are wholly misguided, whoever you are or whatever color you are, or whatever logo or hood or whatever you wear. That stuff was a long time ago! No one alive even remembers it now! TODAY is our opportunity and our challenge. It's desperately sad to me to see people still waving banners around from that long ago war, raking up hatreds that should have died with our great-great-grandfathers. Let the dead have their grudges, we aren't bound by their lives and can still make our own decisions. Sorry, I've had a glass of wine and I'm getting philosophical! I'm going over to the latest hot car death thread, here's hoping for peace and healing and JUSTICE in Ferguson, whatever form that takes. French kitty out!

IMO as they should. We all saw some pretty disturbing things and several officers have been fired as the bright lights fell on Ferguston

I think it's a good smart move in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I almost always agree with you but not this time. Sure, there have been some really bad things done by a few LE there. They are gone now and rightfully so. There is nothing a good LE officer hates more than a bad LE officer because a bad one is a bad reflection of them all.

IMO, this investigation will do nothing but almost tie LE's hands in their regular duties. I am speaking of the good officers.

MOO

I have been listening to Eric Holder's PC. If I were a St. Louis County police officer, I would walk off the job today. Let Holder police Ferguson. This is just what I would do personally.

Next topic:
Until an LE officer has enough experience they do have a partner. A rookie will never patrol alone. Even a new detective will have a partner until they are 'broken in'. My late husband was the night commander for the 3rd largest city in my state until he retired. He had to respond to every accident, every fatality accidental or via homicide, and so forth. By the time an officer had been on the job for at least 6 months, he or she did not patrol alone. This was just my experience in my state. Not every state is the same, obviously.

The reason Officer Wilson responded with the ambulance on the sick call is probably the nature of the call. IIRC, wasn't it a baby and the baby had respiratory failure? There could have been a suspicion of child abuse, IMO, or suspicion of impending death.

I lasted 10 years in LE spending only one year of that time on patrol. I only spent 8 months on patrol alone before I got a chance for promotion because the AFIS system was coming into being and someone had to train for it with the State Police so it could be taught to booking officers. I got lucky.

Again, I would absolutely walk off the job and leave Eric Holder to police the area if I were a Ferguson LE officer. Law enforcement in and around Ferguson will effectively be practically shut down with this so-called 'investigation'.

What did Holder say?

Next topic:

I live on a busy street that leads right to the interstate. When an ambulance is called to my street, or a fire truck, or anything a police officer usually shows up too. They will just kind of direct traffic around the ambulance or make sure any kids that have wandered over to check things out stay on the sidewalk, etc.

BBM I agree and would like to see both "sides" be open to learning more about the other "sides" opinions.

I agree, Tawny. The exchange of ideas involves listening, as well as talking. Learning involves taking in new information, even if that information may conflict with previously held notions of truth. Alas, it's human nature to seek confirmation of existing beliefs.

One of my all-time favorite quotes:

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

~ Rene Descartes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member