Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/athens-cop-shot-in-struggle-with-suspect/nhDKJ/

Two officers respond to a call of a guy banging on a door demanding entrance around noon. A struggle ensues, suspect grapples for officer's gun, which fires through holster hitting the officer. Suspect pepper sprayed, subdued, and officer treated and released from hospital. Maybe having officers only patrol in pairs would cause a lot fewer deaths/injuries of suspects and officers. I guess that's fiscally impossible in many or most jurisdictions, or that would be the rule.

Two officers respond to a call of a guy banging on a door demanding entrance around noon. A struggle ensues, suspect grapples for officer's gun, which fires through holster hitting the officer. Suspect pepper sprayed, subdued, and officer treated and released from hospital. Maybe having officers only patrol in pairs would cause a lot fewer deaths/injuries of suspects and officers. I guess that's fiscally impossible in many or most jurisdictions, or that would be the rule.

Scary how fast it can happen. This weeny little guy was able to not only grab at officer's pistol, but actually shoot him. He's lucky they only used pepper spray on him, because there isn't one person in here that would not feel a shooting was justified - regardless of the suspect's skin color.

I think I know this one. Two officers are often sent to reports of violence, but they are in separate cars. Officer Wilson was responding to a sick child call, one officer in one car. He was leaving the sick call when he encountered MB and DJ. Riding two in a car limits there flexibility in answering calls. Two cars go to a report of altercation, second car is backup. For a sick person call only one police car would be needed freeing up the second car to back up another call if required. When we see two officers in a police car it is possible the second officer is a superior who just happens to be in the car, or two were assigned for that day. But most officers are alone in their own vehicle. jmo

<mod snip>

Honestly Frydaddy I think your posts on the witnesses statements is why most have discredited them. They were very well put together and researched.

I just want to say thank you even for your posts on these last few pages, I love reading them and always seem to agree with you!

Scary how fast it can happen. This weeny little guy was able to not only grab at officer's pistol, but actually shoot him. He's lucky they only used pepper spray on him, because there isn't one person in here that would not feel a shooting was justified - regardless of the suspect's skin color.

Well just to be logical here (for those that say I only have "feelings").

Just because the weeny little guy grabbed for the officer's firearm, and there was a scuffle, it does not mean that the weeny little guy actually shot the officer. Quite possibly the officer had his hand on the firearm and trigger and well....during the struggle it went "bang" and hit him in the leg.

And for the record if I thought for one second OW gunned down MB without real provocation I would not be supporting OW, and I don't think 99% of the OW supporters would be supporting him DESPITE their views on race.

I think I know this one. Two officers are often sent to reports of violence, but they are in separate cars. Officer Wilson was responding to a sick child call, one officer in one car. He was leaving the sick call when he encountered MB and DJ. Riding two in a car limits there flexibility in answering calls. Two cars go to a report of altercation, second car is backup. For a sick person call only one police car would be needed freeing up the second car to back up another call if required. When we see two officers in a police car it is possible the second officer is a superior who just happens to be in the car, or two were assigned for that day. But most officers are alone in their own vehicle. jmo

We have "specials" here.

Specials defined:

The department is looking to hire some Special Law Enforcement Officers, or SLEOs — part-time police officers who help the department out when staffing levels are low but demand is high.

While they aren’t hiring any full-time officers, the SLEO program can offer a prime position for those who want to get their feet wet or need a part-time job as their careers are winding down.

“We’ve had [SLEOs] who are in college, out of college and some who are looking to get their foot in the door in law enforcement and see if its something they can make a career out of,” said Capt. Richard Leonard. “It’s good for them to get training experience and good for us because it helps us out when staffing levels are low.”

Once hired, the SLEOs go through police academy training and have the same police duties as regular, full-time officers while they’re on the clock.

They typically are paired with experienced officers or handle traffic control, calls fur service, minor police reports...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please do not attack another poster not challenge them in a way that is against the rules here at Websleuths. All opinions are welcome as long as they do not violate TOS. Please post respectfully and remember not everyone is going to see a situation the same. We value the discussions, so let's just not get carried away.

Freedom of Speech:

While we believe very much in the freedom of speech & expression, you DO NOT have an absolute right to say whatever you want in this community. WS is based in the United States, but is not an agency of the Federal or any State government - so the 1st Amendment to the United States Constitution and similar State amendments regarding your right to free speech DO NOT APPLY HERE. Anything that goes against our core beliefs and the purpose for which this community was designed may not be allowed. Posts and comments that are meant to incite conflicts between members or outside parties are strictly prohibited. WS Administration has the absolute right to edit, modify, close or delete any content found in this community. While this rarely, if ever happens, we will not tolerate individuals or groups creating problems with the overall membership.

Retweeted by FOX2now
ANTHONY KIEKOW &#8207;@KiekowLive 4m
Just met one of the new cops in Fordell Hills, MO. Dreams of "connecting" with communities. @FOX2now
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwsxdIgIAAAEjWe.jpg

Did he intend to refer to Flordell Hills---with another L.

From our friend Wiki.
2010 census "822 people, 313 households, and 213 families residing in the city."
ETA: "The racial makeup of the city was 16.86% White, 82.06% African American, 0.21% from other races, and 0.86% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.54% of the population."
"The median income for a household in the city was $31,875, and the median income for a family was $34,063. Males had a median income of $29,750 versus $23,889 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,539. About 19.4% of families and 21.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 30.9% of those under age 18 and 4.4% of those age 65 or over."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flordell_Hills,_Missouri.

That makes sense. I wonder what the protocal in Ferguson is for situations like refusal to obey an order to leave the middle of the street? Assuming DW would have issued a citation to them, how would he do it since they continued walking? Call back-up, follow them home, and approach their door together when back-up arrived? DJ's tale of blowing off DW's order and continuing on their way is so alien to my experience that I can't comprehend it.

<mod snip>

Honestly Frydaddy I think your posts on the witnesses statements is why most have discredited them. They were very well put together and researched.

I just want to say thank you even for your posts on these last few pages, I love reading them and always seem to agree with you!

I appreciate the kind words, I am happy to contribute to the discussion in any way I can. ;)

Just because the weeny little guy grabbed for the officer's firearm, and there was a scuffle, it does not mean that the weeny little guy actually shot the officer. Quite possibly the officer had his hand on the firearm and trigger and well....during the struggle it went "bang" and hit him in the leg.

The practice of keeping a round in the chamber makes it much easier for a firearm to go off unintentionally.

Does anyone know if officer Wilson routinely kept a round in the chamber of his service weapon?

The practice of keeping a round in the chamber makes it much easier for a firearm to go off unintentionally.

Unintentionally as in pull the trigger too hard? Anyone with common sense (and no small children that may access said firearm) keeps defense weapons with a round in the chamber. Point and shoot during a crisis.

Yes I saw your question regarding why I "feel" that way. I chose not to answer because it was obviously some attempt to bait.

I don't "feel" that way; it is simply fact.

I'm really sorry you feel that way and quite honestly, I'm offended you would assume that. I was actually attempting to understand your feelings on the matter.

ETA: I feel a bit upset that people here are berated and demeaned for being "closed minded" but when someone attempts to learn about something they don't necessarily see, they're shut down as if trying to start a fight.

ETAA: Upset may be too strong a word. Annoyed? I Don't know but not exactly excited. *shrug*

Please do not attack another poster not challenge them in a way that is against the rules here at Websleuths. All opinions are welcome as long as they do not violate TOS. Please post respectfully and remember not everyone is going to see a situation the same. We value the discussions, so let's just not get carried away.

Freedom of Speech:

While we believe very much in the freedom of speech & expression, you DO NOT have an absolute right to say whatever you want in this community. WS is based in the United States, but is not an agency of the Federal or any State government - so the 1st Amendment to the United States Constitution and similar State amendments regarding your right to free speech DO NOT APPLY HERE. Anything that goes against our core beliefs and the purpose for which this community was designed may not be allowed. Posts and comments that are meant to incite conflicts between members or outside parties are strictly prohibited. WS Administration has the absolute right to edit, modify, close or delete any content found in this community. While this rarely, if ever happens, we will not tolerate individuals or groups creating problems with the overall membership.

BBM I agree and would like to see both "sides" be open to learning more about the other "sides" opinions.

I thought MB didn't want to play football since he might hurt someone.

Career choice changed? From AC to music? It's one thing to go to classes and another to keep up and graduate. MB struggled in HS, he'd really have to apply himself in college.

After he graduated Normandy High School in the spring (a struggle, Livingston said, but Brown did it for his mother), Brown was spending his summer trying to figure out what the next step was. Livingston was trying to get him a job working with him at Family Dollar. Brown was also supposed to begin classes the next week at Vatterott College. He wanted to study music and sound engineering.

"He wanted to go there and do the music thing, he also wanted to go to another college because he wanted to play football. His coach at his school in Normandy said that he could do that, get into a college playing football," said Harris, Brown's grandmother.

bbm; a reporter's blog from the Riverfront Times- take it as rumor if you like

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2014/08/mike_brown_shooting_ferguson_family.php

FYI- Rochester Police Officer Killed During Pursuit Identified - See more at: http://binghamton.twcnews.com/conte...ring-pursuit-identified/#sthash.G1ZcAXiS.dpuf

09/04/2014 ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- Rochester police have identified the name of the officer who was shot and killed in the line of duty.
According to police, it began with a foot chase Wednesday around 9:30 p.m.

They said officer Daryl Pierson was killed while his partner exchanged gunfire with suspect Thomas Johnson. Pierson and Johnson were both shot, along with an innocent bystander.

Pierson was taken to the hospital where he died.

Johnson was taken to another hospital where he underwent surgery. He is expected to survive. <sniped>

Suspect in New York cop killing ID&#8217;d as recent parolee

Upstate New York police Thursday identified the suspect in Wednesday night's fatal shooting of a police officer as a parolee released in August who served three years for attempted robbery.

The Democrat and Chronicle reported that the suspect, Thomas Johnson III, was in surgery early Thursday and his condition was not immediately clear.
<sniped - read more>

OW had responded to a sick child call? Since when does an officer and not an ambulance take that call?

Unintentionally as in pull the trigger too hard? Anyone with common sense (and no small children that may access said firearm) keeps defense weapons with a round in the chamber. Point and shoot during a crisis.

During the last week, there were two reports of Colorado motorists unintentionally shooting themselves while sitting in their cars. In both cases, they kept a round in the chamber. Deathly afraid that the boogeyman might pop up at any moment and only a quick draw would save their life.

If officer Wilson did the same, it increases the chance that that first shot was unintentional.

billiejo, IIRC correctly, OW was the first responder along with an ambulance, which was why there was an ambulance quickly on hand at the shooting scene. Obviously, there wasn't any way that MB was going to be 'revived' but after the crime scene was secured (because people kept coming under the yellow tape) personnel from the ambulance brought a white sheet to cover MB's body until the coroner could get there. I guess we'd have to know more about Ferguson's dispatch policy to know why both a patrol car and an ambulance, maybe it was only that OW was closer and could get there and assess the situation until the ambulance could get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtroRed