MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
CMac2, if you read back through many of these threads, you'd find a lot of us were glad to get to know Michael more and the challenges he faced. Many have expressed compassion for him, frustration at what was happening in his life, and anger at the way he harmed others and made such poor choices that day. This link was discussed, for example.
http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/youthviolence/riskprotectivefactors.html

Off topic a little but could MB have suffered from undiagnosed dyslexia?

As with other learning disabilities, dyslexia is a lifelong challenge that people are born with. This language processing disorder can hinder reading, writing, spelling and sometimes even speaking. Dyslexia is not a sign of poor intelligence or laziness. It is also not the result of impaired vision. Children and adults with dyslexia simply have a neurological disorder that causes their brains to process and interpret information differently.

http://www.ncld.org/types-learning-disabilities/dyslexia/what-is-dyslexia

The PAL principal had asked on of the teachers to tutor Michael in math as he was struggling in it. I don't think that dyslexia would impact math, though. Switching schools 4 times in high school alone and bouncing between father's home, mother's home, paternal grandma, and maternal grandma could indicate he never had a stable education environment, or the home structure to support it, even though graduation seemed very important.

This article from The STL American (local publication) explains Shahid's various accessories.

http://www.stlamerican.com/business/local_business/article_f50e5020-28be-11e4-9dec-001a4bcf887a.html

OMG!!!! Enough already with the slavery, they hung us from chains, etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, so, so sick of this.

(Not directed at you, CMAC....just so sick of characters like this guy).

If he REALLY wanted to be a positive role model to these young people, he would show them how to put the transgressions of the past behind them - instead of using it for an excuse for EVERYTHING and MOVE ON already!!!

I wasn't referencing that. I was out for the most part when all of that went down and am not completely familiar with all of that episode. My reference to colorful language was dropping the "F" bomb on twitter directed at the governor. I didn't want to use the word and chose "colorful language" instead. I think it was her that told him to ****** off!! on twitter. Frankly, didn't follow the KKK discussion to even know who said that.

https://twitter.com/MariaChappelleN/status/513431847078862848

OMG!!!! Enough already with the slavery, they hung us from chains, etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, so, so sick of this.

(Not directed at you, CMAC....just so sick of characters like this guy).

If he REALLY wanted to be a positive role model to these young people, he would show them how to put the transgressions past behind them - instead of using it for an excuse for EVERYTHING and MOVE ON already!!!

Look- I'm no fan of Shahid. He's not helping, in my opinion. That said, however, here's some food for thought: When people talk about 9/11, we use phrases imploring people to "Never Forget". When Jim Crow or slavery is the topic of conversation- Jim Crow, at least, was around during my own parents' lifetimes, so not too long ago- we are told to "get over it." AAs cannot forget. I don't think one can "get over" something as serious as what the AA community suffered in the not-too-distant past. Now, that said, we owe it to each other- all of us- to put history in perspective, and celebrate the progress we've made. We have a system in place- we're seeing it in play with many of our own local "leaders"- that does one of two things. One extreme expects black people to "get over it" where racism is concerned (even as racism is still alive and well in our community), the other expects blacks to go to the opposite extreme, acting as if slavery/Jim Crow is still the status quo. Neither extreme is accurate. There are some racist people out there- probably more than a lot of people want to believe. BUT there is a ton of progress that has been made as well. AAs have died so that people like myself, and my daughters, can do great things in this world. It's not as equal as it should be just yet, but we're moving in the right direction. That's where the focus needs to be, for the sake of progress.

The PAL principal had asked on of the teachers to tutor Michael in math as he was struggling in it. I don't think that dyslexia would impact math, though. Switching schools 4 times in high school alone and bouncing between father's home, mother's home, paternal grandma, and maternal grandma could indicate he never had a stable education environment, or the home structure to support it, even though graduation seemed very important.

Dyslexia would most certainly impact math...if you were seeing numbers upside down, sideways, transposed....

Dyslexia would most certainly impact math...if you were seeing numbers upside down, sideways, transposed....

Sorry about the multiple posts. I have ZERO faith that if MB suffered a learning disability, the schools he attended would have caught it.

I think stlamerican is a local activist paper.
https://mobile.twitter.com/StLouisAmerican

I think I'm going to leave this particular article up because I do not see anything regarding national politics involved and the information is good. This is how he feels, not what may be actual, but what he feels about todays situation. If we don't know what the problems are we can't solve them. If we don't know why MB lost his life, (not because he was shot by a police officer) we can't keep it from happening again. So I thought it was a good article and explains a lot.

Unless I'm outvoted it can stay, but that could change.

Look- I'm no fan of Shahid. He's not helping, in my opinion. That said, however, here's some food for thought: When people talk about 9/11, we use phrases imploring people to "Never Forget". When Jim Crow or slavery is the topic of conversation- Jim Crow, at least, was around during my own parents' lifetimes, so not too long ago- we are told to "get over it." AAs cannot forget. I don't think one can "get over" something as serious as what the AA community suffered in the not-too-distant past. Now, that said, we owe it to each other- all of us- to put history in perspective, and celebrate the progress we've made. We have a system in place- we're seeing it in play with many of our own local "leaders"- that does one of two things. One extreme expects black people to "get over it" where racism is concerned (even as racism is still alive and well in our community), the other expects blacks to go to the opposite extreme, acting as if slavery/Jim Crow is still the status quo. Neither extreme is accurate. There are some racist people out there- probably more than a lot of people want to believe. BUT there is a ton of progress that has been made as well. AAs have died so that people like myself, and my daughters, can do great things in this world. It's not as equal as it should be just yet, but we're moving in the right direction. That's where the focus needs to be, for the sake of progress.

We may use terms like, "never forget" when it comes to 911, but it's not..."Don't forget what happened, and stay stuck", it's "Don't forget those who lost their lives, and let's move on and be stronger and better for the experience."

I'm not saying, "let's all pretend slavery never happened". It happened. It was bad. Let's NEVER do it again. But there comes a point in your life when you need to move on from your past (if it was painful), and rise above it. I am a domestic abuse survivor. I won't bore you with the details, you would have a hard time believing them, anyway. Now, I was directly impacted by this, in my life. It didn't happen to my great grandparents. I had two choices. I could stay mired in the "poor me, I was abused" mentality, and use that for an excuse for every bad thing that ever happened to me, or every opportunity I feel I missed, or I could rise above it, and not let it define who I am. Obviously, I chose the latter. But I have never forgotten. I will never forget. But for my own sake, I moved on. That's all I'm saying.

This guy is not helping them (imo) with his theatrics. Think about it. Really.

Sorry about the multiple posts. I have ZERO faith that if MB suffered a learning disability, the schools he attended would have caught it.

You could be right. I have had my own family members, with disabilities, pushed through the educational system.

Do you know what's being planned for tonight, CMac2?

I'm still trying to find out myself. I won't be going anywhere- I need to R&R with my fam tonight. Looks to me like people are scrambling since no Townhall. I'll post what I find out.

FYI- I know Hazel Erby personally. She will NOT stand for any craziness or shenanigans at any event she's a part of.

We've discussed her before. That she is proud of endorsement from Lacy Clay makes her questionable, IMO. She seemed to stand for the craziness at the council meeting the other night. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member