MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We may use terms like, "never forget" when it comes to 911, but it's not..."Don't forget what happened, and stay stuck", it's "Don't forget those who lost their lives, and let's move on and be stronger and better for the experience."

I'm not saying, "let's all pretend slavery never happened". It happened. It was bad. Let's NEVER do it again. But there comes a point in your life when you need to move on from your past (if it was painful), and rise above it. I am a domestic abuse survivor. I won't bore you with the details, you would have a hard time believing them, anyway. Now, I was directly impacted by this, in my life. It didn't happen to my great grandparents. I had two choices. I could stay mired in the "poor me, I was abused" mentality, and use that for an excuse for every bad thing that ever happened to me, or every opportunity I feel I missed, or I could rise above it, and not let it define who I am. Obviously, I chose the latter. But I have never forgotten. I will never forget. But for my own sake, I moved on. That's all I'm saying.

This guy is not helping them (imo) with his theatrics. Think about it. Really.

As I said- I'm no fan of his. Additionally, I agreed with the premise of "move on". We can't just get over it- not possible, not yet- but there is no excuse to stop progress. I personally believe it's our responsibility as people of color to do what we can in the name of progress. Yes, it's important to call out injustice wherever we see it, but a lot people died before us so that I could do many of the things I've been managed to accomplish in my life. So on that point, we agree.

You don't think Stenger was 'worked up' about being threatened by the crowd, given an ultimatum, to denounce RM by noon OR ELSE?

Worked up? I dunno. He obviously didn't agree with it and wasn't threatened enough such that he succumbed to it. I'm just going off of the quotes from the councilman talking about the upcoming town halls.

We've discussed her before. That she is proud of endorsement from Lacy Clay makes her questionable, IMO. She seemed to stand for the craziness at the council meeting the other night. :dunno:

Hazel Erby truly is good people. She is in this for the right reasons, even if you don't agree with her every move. She is not self-serving, she has hosted MANY of the youth outreach events I spoke of earlier this morning, and her motivations are pure. When I say "shenanigans", I'm speaking to threats of violence and the types of behavior Shahid and certain others openly endorse.

We've discussed her before. That she is proud of endorsement from Lacy Clay makes her questionable, IMO. She seemed to stand for the craziness at the council meeting the other night. :dunno:

Erby had the chance to control the County Council mtg but did not do so . . . and she's part of the collation of Dems NOT supporting Dems for one reason or another

The military would be perfect for a lot of these young men. It's not easy to convince them of that. Many balk at the idea of putting their lives on the line for a nation that doesn't even want them living in it. Again, that's not how I feel, but I'm just repeating what I hear day in and day out. We have to convince people that the nation as a whole does not hate them, or want them to fail. We want them to succeed, and it won't be easy, and they'll fall down a thousand times before they get it right, but at the end of the day, they have to want it for themselves more than I want it for them. Just as I'm screaming at everybody else to LISTEN TO THEM, and learn from their experiences, they have to open their ears and minds and listen too. That's what I mean when I say the solution will come from all sides, not just one.

CMac...have recruiters been out there at all through all of this? I would hope they were part of the job fair if nothing else.

Hazel Erby truly is good people. She is in this for the right reasons, even if you don't agree with her every move. She is not self-serving, she has hosted MANY of the youth outreach events I spoke of earlier this morning, and her motivations are pure. When I say "shenanigans", I'm speaking to threats of violence and the types of behavior Shahid and certain others openly endorse.

There were threats made at that meeting. I get that she and others are up for election and the ever growing list of those protestors now demand be arrested/fired/recalled has to make politicians in the area nervous. It would have been great had one official in those meetings stood up and said, "We won't tolerate your threats of violence here."

As I said- I'm no fan of his. Additionally, I agreed with the premise of "move on". We can't just get over it- not possible, not yet- but there is no excuse to stop progress. I personally believe it's our responsibility as people of color to do what we can in the name of progress. Yes, it's important to call out injustice wherever we see it, but a lot people died before us so that I could do many of the things I've been managed to accomplish in my life. So on that point, we agree.

Hey CMac-I know you have responded to a lot of people's posts, and maybe I've missed your response. But I've asked you a couple of times about the situation about MB specifically and what insight you might have into why people can't view the shooting for it was, as a stand alone case. Since there is no evidence whatsoever of racism being a factor in the shooting, why do they continue to only see OW as a murderer? Why do so many people have a difficult time seeing through their struggles but not be able to analyze a situation clearly.

For example, as an adoptive parent of 3 children, I do tend to see situations that arise through a prism of my own experiences of infertility, adoption, foster care, interactial adoption, etc... I know I can't understand what it is like to be black, but I/we all have our own crosses to bear, so to speak, yet many of us are able to still look objectively at a situation. Sure we may be swayed toward one side or the other based upon our experiences. But I just cannot see see the justification for such furor over a human being who may quite possible/probably well be innocent!

If you can at least try to explain that to me, based upon your inside knowledge of the community, I would greatly appreicate it.

OMG!!!! Enough already with the slavery, they hung us from chains, etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, so, so sick of this.

Slavery in the U.S. was very very mild compared to slavery in Africa. There were also LOTS of white slaves sold super cheap as indentured servants as Britain emptied out their prisons (and White slaves often had much shorter lives, they were indentured servants that could only serve for a few years, so they were often worked to death since their time was limited).

The slave trade started when Islam took hold in the middle east, they were forbidden from capturing Muslims and making them slaves during battle so there was a huge shortage, and the leaders in Africa were more than happy to sell humans cheap. Westerners and Middle Easterners did not dare venture into the interior of Africa due to the disease risks and violence, they did NOT capture slaves, the local tribes did all of the capturing and transport.

Supposedly some of the slaves waiting to board ships bound for Europe and the U.S. would freak out when offered reasonable portions of food, in Africa captives offered food were being maintained so they could be sold as meat, slaves being traded for labor had very meager portions.

FYI the Middle East bought/imported far more African slaves than the U.S. did, yet oddly they don't have a race problem, for the most part the only blacks are foreign workers and virtually all slaves imported a couple of centuries ago are well....gone.

CMac...have recruiters been out there at all through all of this? I would hope they were part of the job fair if nothing else.

I'm not sure. I didn't attend the job fair, and I haven't seen any recruiters anywhere else at any of the other events. Military service would kill multiple birds with one stone! Teaching discipline, a skill, a purpose, a sense of belonging, and the GI bill. Definitely not a bad idea for a lot of these kids.

Unfortunately, I don't know any of the currently-elected local black politicians that supported Stenger. I'm not a politician by any means, but I know some of them personally, and I'm the only one I can think of that supported Stenger over Dooley. I was not very popular with my friends last month! Politics aside, Hazel Erby is a gem.

After reading about her, I'm gonna have to disagree.

There were threats made at that meeting. I get that she and others are up for election and the ever growing list of those protestors now demand be arrested/fired/recalled has to make politicians in the area nervous. It would have been great had one official in those meetings stood up and said, "We won't tolerate your threats of violence here."

Instead of agreeing with them and supporting that OW be arrested and McCulloch be removed.

After reading about her, I'm gonna have to disagree.

I just texted her. I'd love her to join here. She has some insight I think some would appreciate, in the interest of truly hearing all sides. She probably won't/can't join, but hey, it's worth a shot.

I just texted her. I'd love her to join here. She has some insight I think some would appreciate, in the interest of truly hearing all sides. She probably won't/can't join, but hey, it's worth a shot.

That would be great

I have no military training. It was a definite military-type vehicle that looked like a tank to me. Whatever it's officially called is not my concern. It was big, it was ugly, it's something they use in the Middle East, and has no place in my community. The point I was making is that it wasn't on the streets of Jennings and Dellwood residents, but the Jennings and Dellwood residents were in FERGUSON. Few actual Ferguson residents participated in the tomfoolery, but all of them had to pay the price for it. I'll say it again- those looters don't care- and never did care- about Mike Brown. They came to Ferguson because they saw an opportunity to exploit a tragedy. They do not represent anyone who actively seeks progress and change.

There is a very distinct difference between a battle tank which has a continuous track tread. And a military truck, which has tires.

People who throw bottles and bricks at police are ugly whether they are in the Middle East or in the U.S. and yes, law-abiding citizens all are affected. It makes absolutely no sense to place blame on police for doing the job they are paid to do.

JMO

Sorry about the multiple posts. I have ZERO faith that if MB suffered a learning disability, the schools he attended would have caught it.

He probably would have been better off if he had. He would have had one on one tutoring, special helpers, and extra time for tests and homework. I have seen that kind of help work magic on some students. it is just what they needed to get back on track.

Instead of agreeing with them and supporting that OW be arrested and McCulloch be removed.

Oh, that's right. She advocated Wilson be arrested, even before the investigations are complete. Just read more of her statements on Michael Brown, Govan, hiring based on skin color. Looks like she fits with Shahid and Lacy Clay to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper