MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I DO empathize with him, and I don't necessarily think that he is a bad cop. I think he was a terrified cop who's terror overcame his cop-sense. The result was a killing. The question is, was the killing justified or not. I do not know all the facts of this case and no one here does either. Let the process take its course. JMO

If the officer was in fear, terror, as you describe it ...after being shoved back into his vehicle, punched in the face and struggling to maintain control of his weapon...it's justifiable fear. He has every right to act on that fear and stop the threat.

That's his JOB!

IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gosh a dash cam video would put so many questions to bed! And I hate to say it should be mandated bc ordering agencies already strapped for cash to put in expensive equipment is asking a lot, but I think a ******** campaign asking for money to get cops cameras for their vehicles should be created. Now I have no idea if that is legal lol!

Oh it starred my thing out, and hopefully this isn't against the rules, but I was referring to a site that let's people donate to causes/people/things.

One was about juvenile records access. I had posted some info about ths earlier which I will reproduce below. But the gist of it, from the statute, is that a juvenile arrested or convicted (in juvenile ct terms, "adjudicated delinquent") of a class A felony, first or second degree murder or capital murder will pretty much automatically have their juvenile record made public. In all other cases, a court order is required. The standard for access is a "legitimate interest". I have not looked at case law to see how that standard plays out in practice.

The other question was about whether death "opens" the records otherwise sealed. In general, no, unless there is something in MO that specifically provides for that, which I haven't seen and which I doubt exists. This type of record access is purely in the hands of the state. If they wanted sealed records available after the subject's death it would be so stated. Also, in general, privacy type rights (which are similar) survive the death of the person. Rights may also reside with the immediate family to protect the rights of the decedent. So, I highly doubt that death, in and of itself, would make the records available. It may be that the circumstances of the death would create a legitimate interest in someone so that they could then obtain the records under the court order standard. And, if the underlying offenses were sufficiently serious, the records would already be available.

Thanks so much for your expertise. I think it's fair to say that most us assume that sealed, means sealed.
Clearly there are exceptions.

I DO empathize with him, and I don't necessarily think that he is a bad cop. I think he was a terrified cop who's terror overcame his cop-sense. The result was a killing. The question is, was the killing justified or not. I do not know all the facts of this case and no one here does either. Let the process take its course. JMO

I think he did what he had to do because his life was in danger. I don't think MB was coming towards him to give him a hug. Sometimes cops have to make split second decisions, and unfortunately this is the outcome when their life is in danger. JMO.

When I was 18 I was a Marine.

Not directed to you popsicle, just jumping off of yours. He was 18 and I think nearly everyone would agree that the maturity and understanding level of an 18 year old is not the same as a 40 year old but yet high enough that they can be held accountable for their own actions. To me the two sides debating if he's a kid or not a kid is just an example of the polarizing effect of cases like this. Both sides have an idea of what 18 year olds are and are not.

Gretch Carlson,Fox News Network TV, interviewed Missouri Lt Gov who also said something very similar to this following quote with link:
Local St. Louis sources said Wilson suffered an “orbital blowout fracture to the eye socket.” This comes from a source within the Prosecuting Attorney’s office and was confirmed by the St. Louis County Police.
http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/169...suffered-orbital-blowout-fracture-eye-socket/

Wouldn't the prosecutor be obligated to give information to the GJ because the Governor is demanding the officer's arrest?

IMO The Governor is demanding a vigorous prosecution of the case..........but a vigorous prosecution does include taking it to a GJ............if the GJ returns NO INDICTMENT, that's the end. There will be no prosecution. The Governor was NOT demanding an arrest. An arrest will happen if the GJ indicts. JMO

apparently they don't have that in Ferguson. They need them though IMO. The long held mistrust is evident. Dash cams or those newer cams that attach to the front of officers uniforms would be a wise investment if the politicians want to do more than just give lip service to their wish for peace in Ferguson.

I read something that indicated the FPD doesn't even have a bulletproof vest for every officer. Yikes!

What makes you think he was a 'terrified' cop? And when did this terror kick in?

I would love to wait for the investigation process to take it's course. I just wish the good people of Ferguson would do so too.

Not directed to you popsicle, just jumping off of yours. He was 18 and I think nearly everyone would agree that the maturity and understanding level of an 18 year old is not the same as a 40 year old but yet high enough that they can be held accountable for their own actions. To me the two sides debating if he's a kid or not a kid is just an example of the polarizing effect of cases like this. Both sides have an idea of what 18 year olds are and are not.

I disagree.

Ask any 6 year old if it's okay to punch a cop.
Ask any 6 year old if it's okay to steal.

Yes, 18 year olds take more risks and think impulsively.
This is FAR outside the normal scope of stupid/foolish young man behavior.
This is very serious criminal behavior.

All IMO

IMO The Governor is demanding a vigorous prosecution of the case..........but a vigorous prosecution does include taking it to a GJ............if the GJ returns NO INDICTMENT, that's the end. There will be no prosecution. The Governor was NOT demanding an arrest. An arrest will happen if the GJ indicts. JMO

But if the Governor demands a 'vigorous prosecution' then he is demanding an arrest, with charges and a trial. That is what he is asking for from the DA. And it makes him look very biased against the officer.

I read something that indicated the FPD doesn't even have a bulletproof vest for every officer. Yikes!

Even here some have to purchase their own.
The k9 get theirs donated.
We have fundraisers...for extras often for police and fire departments

apparently they don't have that in Ferguson. They need them though IMO. The long held mistrust is evident. Dash cams or those newer cams that attach to the front of officers uniforms would be a wise investment if the politicians want to do more than just give lip service to their wish for peace in Ferguson.

It is sad that society has gotten to this point, but I agree. They need them attached to their uniforms. Audio and visual. And there has to be disciplinary action for it being turned off while on duty unless it's established it malfunctioned. I'm not saying fire him. First offense a warning put in his personnel file. Second, maybe a short suspension and so on.

That doesn't change anything imo.

I didn't say it changes anything. I just gave what my opinion is as to what is motivating his actions. I never said he was right or wrong. Again, JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89