GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't he say he came home and LE was at his residence and he told LE that he is the registered owner of the truck but his son uses it? I think the father gave LE his son's address.
It was in the interview with the dad if someone can find that news article.
Yes that is what i remember reading. I also think that regardless of the length of time it took to activate the AA LE was looking for the truck and it is unfortunate that they could not of located the father sooner though I do not know if the outcome would of been any different.

My heart goes out to this precious child's family.

IMO CMW knew his goose was cooked. As soon as she was, the neighbors were screaming, the guy was chasing him down the street. He knew he was HAD. You know who he blamed for that? The victim, it was her fault for creating a scene.

The guy chasing in his car says he was hitting 60 MPH. How long does that take to go 4 miles? He got her to his house in 5-10. Took it out on her for getting him in trouble. He knew he was in deep.

There is no way Amber Alert IMO could have helped her from someone in survival mode.
But I also know to try to hang this outcome on LE is just wrong.

IMO CMW knew his goose was cooked. As soon as she was, the neighbors were screaming, the guy was chasing him down the street. He knew he was HAD. You know who he blamed for that? The victim, it was her fault for creating a scene.

The guy chasing in his car says he was hitting 60 MPH. How long does that take to go 4 miles? He got her to his house in 5-10. Took it out on her for getting him in trouble. He knew he was in deep.

There is no way Amber Alert IMO could have helped her from someone in survival mode.

He probably had her at his house before the police even arrived on scene to take the information in order to put out an Amber Alert.

He probably had her at his house before the police even arrived on scene to take the information in order to put out an Amber Alert.

Like I said way back in thread one.
She was gone within 30 minutes after he abducted her.

First, just because a teacher is smoking marijuana at home, that does not mean it is illegal! They could have a medical card and as we move towards having more states having it legal, what they do at home isn't illegal. Second, and this blows my mind, especially on this thread... Are you actually even comparing a teaching smoking marijuana or any drugs to a rapist or child molester?! Seriously?

We so have laws and right now, teachers are free to do whatever they want in their free time just like everyone else. As long as while they are at their jobs, they get the job done, that is all that matters. People don't get to pick and chose or even know what teachers do in their personal lives....unless it effects the students. And no, I am not a teacher. But, yes, I am raising three children. It bothers me 0% what their teachers do outside of the classroom as long as when they have "my kids" they are 100% on. It is no different than any other job. Everyone needs to be on all the time and we can't drug test everyone randomly. We can't even do it with all the teachers. I can think of another group that would be better suited to receive them.

It matters to me what a teacher does in his day to day life. What a teacher does outside the classroom matters a lot. A teacher without character is not an appropriate person to be influencing children. I know teachers who give underage kids alcohol in our area....who stand around with students and make fun of others who aren't dressed nice or who don't have nice things. Its pathetic. Its very confusing for a young person to be around this type of teacher.
It would be the same as saying, "Who cares what CW did in his private life? So what if he gets drunk, and smokes pot, and looks at kiddie *advertiser censored*? I mean, its his private life....he can do what he wants! As long as he doesn't hurt a child and teaches them well in school, its his business." Well, none of us think that. And no, I am not equating drug abuse to child sex abuse or *advertiser censored*. But to say we don't care what our teachers do outside the school is a huge blanket statement.
Yes, teachers should be able to have a private life....just as ministers and others....but I think most of us would expect the best of the best to be in charge of the education and care of our young ones at school.

Here is the 3 page form LE has to fax to MHP before they can issue an AA. Local LE also has to make an NCIC entry before faxing this to MHP.

Thanks for providing that form CG.
However this reinforces my previous statements saying there was absolutely no validity in the 2+ hour delay. The NCIC entry, tho listed on the form instructions, is actually not mandatory to be filed before the AA is issued.
It is permissible to file it within reasonable time afterward.
Regardless, a NCIC submission does not take very long either.

The form states:
1. SCREEN AGAINST CRITERIA - Verify the following MISSOURI AMBER
ALERT abduction criteria to insure this missing person doesn’t meet the AMBER
ALERT criteria:
1. Law enforcement officials have reasonable belief that an abduction has
occurred, which meets the definition in RSMo. 565.110 or 565.115.
2. Law enforcement officials believe that the child is in imminent danger of
serious bodily injury or death.
3. Enough descriptive information exists about the victim and the abductor for
law enforcement to issue an AMBER Alert.
4. The victim of the abduction is a child age 17 years or younger.

IF ALL OF THE ABOVE CRITERIA ARE PRESENT SUBMIT AN AMBER
ALERT ABDUCTION FORM IMMEDIATELY.

All 4 lines of criteria were met, by the first units on scene, within the first few minutes. There was NO reason for an Amber Alert to have been delayed beyond that point. None!

IIRC LE was not trying to get a hold of him by phone. IIRC he said he did not get the amber alert because his phone was off.
I could be wrong about this but I seem to remember this in an article.

I do remember reading that he didn't get the Amber Alert due to the phone being off.

Thanks for providing that form CG.
However this reinforces my previous statements saying there was absolutely no validity in the 2+ hour delay. The NCIC entry, tho listed on the form instructions, is actually not mandatory to be filed before the AA is issued.
It is permissible to file it within reasonable time afterward.
Regardless, a NCIC submission does not take very long either.

The form states:

All 4 lines of criteria were met, by the first units on scene, within the first few minutes. There was NO reason for an Amber Alert to have been delayed beyond that point. None!

Well, except for protocol which insists that MO Hwy Patrol be the ones to issue the Amber Alert.

All I know is that we are all frustrated...and very sad. No matter how we spin this around, I don't think there was much anyone could do to save Hailey.
I just hope and pray we can learn more about this perp and find out if he has done this kind of thing before.

First, just because a teacher is smoking marijuana at home, that does not mean it is illegal! They could have a medical card and as we move towards having more states having it legal, what they do at home isn't illegal. Second, and this blows my mind, especially on this thread... Are you actually even comparing a teaching smoking marijuana or any drugs to a rapist or child molester?! Seriously?

We so have laws and right now, teachers are free to do whatever they want in their free time just like everyone else. As long as while they are at their jobs, they get the job done, that is all that matters. People don't get to pick and chose or even know what teachers do in their personal lives....unless it effects the students. And no, I am not a teacher. But, yes, I am raising three children. It bothers me 0% what their teachers do outside of the classroom as long as when they have "my kids" they are 100% on. It is no different than any other job. Everyone needs to be on all the time and we can't drug test everyone randomly. We can't even do it with all the teachers. I can think of another group that would be better suited to receive them.

If you accept employment that has a no drug policy, then yes what they do at home still can effect their employment. All those states with marijuana being legal, still illegal in most workplaces and is terms for termination.

Time for some wine , soda water or whatever and some deep breaths.

Well, except for protocol which insists that MO Hwy Patrol be the ones to issue the Amber Alert.

True PIM, however when a child's abduction and subsequent great risk of death occurs, it should only take a matter of a few minutes to relay that info to MO Hwy Patrol, who then should immediately issue the Amber Alert. Not 2 hrs by any means.

The greater point is... we need to make the Amber Alert system work.
The present AA system is heavily flawed. We cannot say if it would have made a difference in this particular case, or not, but it needs to be useful for all future cases.

We need to have it where the first on-scene officers, as in this case, can have their local dept issue an AA within minutes of the abduction.
Not having to wait for it to go thru all the red tape delays in transmitting it far beyond the local jurisdiction radius, simply because the perp won't be outside of 60 mile radius, at most, in the first 45 minutes or so. A *lot* of eyes can be watching for the perp's vehicle in that first 45 min to an hour.

All I know is that we are all frustrated...and very sad. No matter how we spin this around, I don't think there was much anyone could do to save Hailey.
I just hope and pray we can learn more about this perp and find out if he has done this kind of thing before.

I know I keep thinking about what can be done when you see a child being abducted it's a pity someone couldn't have shot his tyres out to stop him getting away but that might not have worked either.

Who is Craig Michael Wood? Interviews create portrait of man accused in girl's abduction, slaying

http://www.news-leader.com/article/...y-owens-craig-wood-arraingment?nclick_check=1

“I got to know him through music. We played in a band together in the mid-1980s,” said Ward, co-owner of Priority Pest Control, Inc. “He was actually very intelligent. He had a steady girlfriend (at the time) and was a typical, athletic-type guy.”

Ward said they lost touch but have run into each other several times in the past decade. Every time, Wood seemed like his old self. Ward has connected with other old friends this week, who shared his disbelief.

Ward said Wood never married or had children and didn’t mention a girlfriend during their recent run-ins.

“The Craig that we knew has been long gone and there may be more coming out that we’re going to drop our jaws at,” he said. “When we found out we were stunned. To think of all the time we spent together and to think that he snapped.”

Ward said Wood started out playing guitar in rock bands and then transitioned, in recent years, to bluegrass. “He wasn’t spectacular but he could hold his own,” he said.

Ward said Wood was a “huge deer hunter” and went hunting every year with mutual friends. While Wood rarely left the woods empty-handed, this recent season was different. “Craig didn’t get a deer this year,” he said."

Much more at link

Craig as a hunter. So scary.

I could not agree more. You said what I've been wanting to say all day. From abduction to arrest in less than 4 hours is almost unheard of in these types of cases. With everything he did in that time, she was most likely gone within 15-20 minutes of being taken, if that. How many neighbors were home at that time? How many people rent in that neighborhood and have no idea what their neighbors drive? It's a big city (for Missouri), as big as mine, and I only know the car of my next door neighbor bc we've both lived here for almost 20 years, but most others in my neighborhood haven't been here that long. It's not the norm anymore. And IMO it's unreasonable to assume it definitely would have kept her alive.

Amber Alerts have strict criteria for a reason. I don't know the statistics off hand for how many missing children reports are filed only to be retracted within an hour but I know it's staggering. If an Amber Alert went out each time, the public would be desensitized in no time and they would be even less useful. I realize this case was different in that it was witnessed and they had a great description but that doesn't mean the system is broken or someone sat on their duff while a little girl was being murdered. Maybe there does need to be a revision to allow local level LE to direct issue alerts from the field but then that brings up a level of liability on each and every officer instead of the state level. There is a protocol and a chain of command so that informed, educated, trained individuals bear that responsibility and not the average beat cop (no offense intended, my BIL is a beat cop and he is a fine officer).

One final thing about the amber alert. There was another one the day before when a girl in Marionville, MO (?) was taken by a non-custodial parent. When I got the second AA, I thought it was a mistake bc I had already seen the other one cancelled a few hours earlier. If I was confused, others may have been too initially. It was a perfect storm and he gained advantage from that.

Also, I've studied predators for many, many years and although quick kills are unfortunately the norm in this type of murder, it's usually because they have more detailed plans for after the kill. He was prepped for disposal, not further exploration. This could not have been his original plan. This was his Plan B, no doubt about it. Do I think he's done it before? I think he may have attempted to do it before but I doubt he has succeeded. From the photos of his home and truck, the plate number was easily legible even from out in the street where the photo was taken. If he had done this before and succeeded, I think he would have been more controlled and slightly muddled up or even removed or switched his plates. I don't think he had gotten that far before so he hadn't thought that part through. And many/most experienced killers have some sort of kit prepared, yet he had to go out for tape. The experienced organized offender knows and plans every detail to the nth degree. He may have fantasized about it many times, even attempted it, but I'd be very surprised if he has completed his plan before.

Who is Craig Michael Wood? Interviews create portrait of man accused in girl's abduction, slaying

http://www.news-leader.com/article/...y-owens-craig-wood-arraingment?nclick_check=1

“I got to know him through music. We played in a band together in the mid-1980s,” said Ward, co-owner of Priority Pest Control, Inc. “He was actually very intelligent. He had a steady girlfriend (at the time) and was a typical, athletic-type guy.”

Ward said they lost touch but have run into each other several times in the past decade. Every time, Wood seemed like his old self. Ward has connected with other old friends this week, who shared his disbelief.

Ward said Wood never married or had children and didn’t mention a girlfriend during their recent run-ins.

“The Craig that we knew has been long gone and there may be more coming out that we’re going to drop our jaws at,” he said. “When we found out we were stunned. To think of all the time we spent together and to think that he snapped.”

Ward said Wood started out playing guitar in rock bands and then transitioned, in recent years, to bluegrass. “He wasn’t spectacular but he could hold his own,” he said.

Ward said Wood was a “huge deer hunter” and went hunting every year with mutual friends. While Wood rarely left the woods empty-handed, this recent season was different. “Craig didn’t get a deer this year,” he said."

Much more at link

Craig as a hunter. So scary.

Personally I don't think him being a hunter had anything to do with what happened.
This is going to turn out to be a very strange case IMO
I am still in the belief that he has never done this before.
There was something going on with him, still think it has to do with his internet activities, that he had so well hidden that on the surface no one saw it. Not real sure he even did.
I also will be surprised if he was on any medication that caused this, or if there was any medication that would have stopped it.

I have been curious as to why the FBI has come into this investigation this early into it. He did not transport her across state lines. The charges thus far are state charges, not Federal. I brought up this article earlier in the thread. I was wondering if there might be a connection to this in that it in Springfield as well. An article from 01/21/2014:
"SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – A Springfield man charged earlier in state court with 15 felony counts involving sex with family members ages 3 and 5 has now been charged in federal court."

"Ronald J. Mazza, 33, was named in a three-count federal grand jury indictment today on two counts of producing child *advertiser censored* and a third count of receiving and distributing child *advertiser censored* over the Internet, according to Tammy Dickinson, United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri.

Today’s indictment alleges that Mazza used two minors to produce child *advertiser censored* between Aug. 1 and Dec. 1, 2013."

This man admits to have been filming and distributing these things for years. I am wondering if this guy and CMW were maybe BFF's.

They got his computer. Maybe CMW is on it. Something triggered this guy.

JMO but I think there might be a connection between these two. And maybe the FBI thinks so too?

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/story/sp...iser censored*/d/story/gKlfu3mZSkibNp2OfSkHIQ

A kidnapped child does not have to be transported across state lines for the FBI to get involved as this explains...

In 1932, Congress gave the FBI jurisdiction under the “Lindbergh Law” to immediately investigate any reported mysterious disappearance or kidnapping involving a child of “tender age”—usually 12 or younger. And just to be clear, before we get involved, there does not have to be a ransom demand and the child does not have to cross state lines or be missing for 24 hours.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/vc_majorthefts/cac/non-family-abductions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14