GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as everyone is angry about the Amber Alerts. Actually social media in this da and time is faster, less antiquated, less red tape. When our local media hears something like this , or even a fire. I have seen cases where they show up before the fire department. The local LE and the local media was ON IT. They should be appreciated not criticized. There were these cases before the Amber Alert. It does help, but is not the end all-be all of catching a criminal, and does save some lives...but not all.

Quoted post BBM:
I could not agree more. You said what I've been wanting to say all day. From abduction to arrest in less than 4 hours is almost unheard of in these types of cases. With everything he did in that time, she was most likely gone within 15-20 minutes of being taken, if that. How many neighbors were home at that time? How many people rent in that neighborhood and have no idea what their neighbors drive? It's a big city (for Missouri), as big as mine, and I only know the car of my next door neighbor bc we've both lived here for almost 20 years, but most others in my neighborhood haven't been here that long. It's not the norm anymore. And IMO it's unreasonable to assume it definitely would have kept her alive.

Amber Alerts have strict criteria for a reason. I don't know the statistics off hand for how many missing children reports are filed only to be retracted within an hour but I know it's staggering. If an Amber Alert went out each time, the public would be desensitized in no time and they would be even less useful. I realize this case was different in that it was witnessed and they had a great description but that doesn't mean the system is broken or someone sat on their duff while a little girl was being murdered. Maybe there does need to be a revision to allow local level LE to direct issue alerts from the field but then that brings up a level of liability on each and every officer instead of the state level. There is a protocol and a chain of command so that informed, educated, trained individuals bear that responsibility and not the average beat cop (no offense intended, my BIL is a beat cop and he is a fine officer).

One final thing about the amber alert. There was another one the day before when a girl in Marionville, MO (?) was taken by a non-custodial parent. When I got the second AA, I thought it was a mistake bc I had already seen the other one cancelled a few hours earlier. If I was confused, others may have been too initially. It was a perfect storm and he gained advantage from that.

Also, I've studied predators for many, many years and although quick kills are unfortunately the norm in this type of murder, it's usually because they have more detailed plans for after the kill. He was prepped for disposal, not further exploration. This could not have been his original plan. This was his Plan B, no doubt about it. Do I think he's done it before? I think he may have attempted to do it before but I doubt he has succeeded. From the photos of his home and truck, the plate number was easily legible even from out in the street where the photo was taken. If he had done this before and succeeded, I think he would have been more controlled and slightly muddled up or even removed or switched his plates. I don't think he had gotten that far before so he hadn't thought that part through. And many/most experienced killers have some sort of kit prepared, yet he had to go out for tape. The experienced organized offender knows and plans every detail to the nth degree. He may have fantasized about it many times, even attempted it, but I'd be very surprised if he has completed his plan before.

BBM 1: Yes, but in this case, within the first 5-10 minutes after abduction, LE had the exact vehicle & perp description, plus the exact license plate number. Had he been in a vehicle registered to his address, instead of the fathers's, LE would have been at his house within moments.

BBM 2: I have not seen anyone say/assume "a quicker AA *definitely* would have kept her alive". However, I have seen multiple posters say the slower delayed AA *definitely* wouldn't have made any difference. That is just plain wrong to assume it to that degree of certainty.

BBM 3: That great description and great witnesses sure does show the system is broken. It clearly shows that in this case, with the finest & optimum witness/identification conditions, an AA will take at least 2 hours. Being as most child abductions end in death within 3 hrs, I call that a broken system or unnecessary/negligent "red tape", at minimum.

BBM 4: No offense intended for patrol cops? Really? They can be be responsible enough to carry a firearm and take a life, but not responsible or "bright" enough to radio HQ to immediately issue an Amber Alert?

BBM 5: Yes, CMW's truck & plate were highly visible, even viewed in his driveway from a great distance. Hence part of why I feel the greater value in a speedy AA issuance. Not everyone is as oblivious to neighborhood/parked vehicles, as you described for your neighborhood.

BBM 6: He went out to get the duct tape? I'm sincerely curious where you heard or saw this.

Personally I don't think him being a hunter had anything to do with what happened.
This is going to turn out to be a very strange case IMO
I am still in the belief that he has never done this before.
There was something going on with him, still think it has to do with his internet activities, that he had so well hidden that on the surface no one saw it. Not real sure he even did.
I also will be surprised if he was on any medication that caused this, or if there was any medication that would have stopped it.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. I think the thrill of the hunt had everything to do with it.

I've lived in the area most of my life. The guy was hunting. In a very sick manner. He shot her in the back of the head.

I do agree he's never done this before.

Really? You just gonna shoot this baby in the back of the head when you knew they were coming for you instead of just letting her go back to her family. Why didn't he just drop her off somewhere after he was chased out of the neighborhood and the coast was clear to let her out of the truck on a corner!! Senseless, especially considering this had to know cops were going to be knocking down his door soon. He knew he was busted, and with a slick lawyer, he could have came up with some excuse for grabbing her then dumping her off around the corner, but no, he killed her instead.
Death Penalty, please.

Really? You just gonna shoot this baby in the back of the head when you knew they were coming for you instead of just letting her go back to her family. Why didn't he just drop her off somewhere after he was chased out of the neighborhood and the coast was clear to let her out of the truck on a corner!! Senseless, especially considering this had to know cops were going to be knocking down his door soon.

That's what so scary about this guy! He was going to do what he was going to do no mattter what. He didn't care that he was going to be caught. It was worth it in his sick mind (that must not be wired right). Hailey didn't stand a chance. How much worse could it get?

Call me cynical, but I think CMW's acquaintances know more about his inclinations than they're saying.

In the overnight hours here in SE AZ we got an Amber Alert for a custodial mom and her kids based on a report that her EX felt she was a danger to herself and children... intending to park her car w/the kids on a railroad track. It was unfounded, but I'd venture to say that AA went out within a very short period of time after her EX contacted LE. Which tells me the system is skewed in the wrong direction. Mom drove to a local police station when she learned of the AA, and no charges are pending.

Quoted post BBM:

BBM 4: No offense intended for patrol cops? Really? They can be be responsible enough to carry a firearm and take a life, but not responsible or "bright" enough to radio HQ to immediately issue an Amber Alert?
<snipped>
BBM 6: He went out to get the duct tape? I'm sincerely curious where you heard or saw this.

Funny thing about quotation marks, they usually mean you are quoting word for word. You are misconstruing my words about beat cops. I did not use the words not "bright" or "responsible". Don't put words in my mouth. I was referring to the level of expertise regarding child abductions and sexual predators, not their level of intelligence. Why do you think they have those rules about AAs? There is a chain of command for a reason. There are LEO's of all ages, rank, and experience level, in even the tiniest of towns. Not all have had the latest training in this area. That was my point, which you missed.

As for the tape, the media has already reported that he had it in the truck, not with the bins. He got out of the truck with it and then tossed it in the bed. Maybe he didn't go buy it but it wasn't with the rest of his stuff. My point was that he didn't have it with him when he needed it. He stopped in the middle of what he was doing and left (bleach bottles on floor, etc.) He returned from his outing carrying duct tape. It's very small particulars like this that make a difference in the psychological profile, that's all.

[modsnip]

Statement from Craig Wood's family and the members of the "Uncle Fudd" Band
Jim and Genie Wood released this statement through a family spokesman: "They join the rest of the community in praying as their hearts pour out to the Owens family."

Craig Wood also played in a popular Ozarks bluegrass band called Uncle Fudd. Band leaders also released a statement: "Uncle Fudd would like to express our deepest sympathy to the family of Hailey Owens. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family at this devastating time."
http://www.ky3.com/news/local/wood-...g-the-death-of-hailey-owens/21048998_24592824

This is my opinion.

I think this guy is cold, calculating and mean. I thing he's done this before. I think if he had gotten back to the house before LE that he would have taken that tape that he had in his hand when he got out of the truck- (then threw in the back of his truck when he saw the officers, as per a news article I read yesterday)- he would have taken that tape and wrapped it around the tote and then he would have taken the tote with Hailey's body in it and buried it.

I think the reason he did not let her out of the truck was the thrill and that he thinks he's smarter than everyone else. If he's not done this before I'll be very very surprised.

Funny thing about quotation marks, they usually mean you are quoting word for word. You are misconstruing my words about beat cops. I did not use the words not "bright" or "responsible". Don't put words in my mouth. I was referring to the level of expertise regarding child abductions and sexual predators, not their level of intelligence. Why do you think they have those rules about AAs? There is a chain of command for a reason. There are LEO's of all ages, rank, and experience level, in even the tiniest of towns. Not all have had the latest training in this area. That was my point, which you missed.

As for the tape, the media has already reported that he had it in the truck, not with the bins. He got out of the truck with it and then tossed it in the bed. Maybe he didn't go buy it but it wasn't with the rest of his stuff. My point was that he didn't have it with him when he needed it. He stopped in the middle of what he was doing and left (bleach bottles on floor, etc.) He returned from his outing carrying duct tape. It's very small particulars like this that make a difference in the psychological profile, that's all.

[modsnip]

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

If someone wants to be considered an authority in a particular area they need to be verified. We have a wonderful group here and some have been here a long time. Delivery of ideas and opinions when written really need to be delivered with tact!

The license plate check indicated that the 2008 truck is registered to Jim and Regina Wood.

Officers went to the home of Jim Wood in Ash Grove, MO.

Jim Wood informed the officers that his son, Craig Wood, is the person that drove that vehicle.

Source of above info:

http://localtvktvi.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/wood-c-press-release-charges-filed-02-19-14.pdf
KTVI - MO - pdf: Springfield Police Dept - Springfield, MO -- Probable Cause Statement
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My assumption (per the above info) is that the truck belonged to Jim and Regina Wood and their son, Craig, drove the truck.

Therefore, he did not borrow the truck to commit the abduction/murder crime. My assumption is that Craig drove this truck on a regular basis and it was his means of transportation.

Just my opinion and assumption.

Bumping!

In the Probable Cause Statement, which is a legal, official document and not an article by media, officers went to Jim Wood's home in Ash Grove, MO.

It does not say they called Jim Wood.

Bumping!

In the Probable Cause Statement, which is a legal, official document and not an article by media, officers went to Jim Wood's home in Ash Grove, MO.

It does not say they called Jim Wood.

I believe it was said during the press conference yesterday morning. I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14