GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why the Hailey Owens murder trial could be postponed

Wood was in court for nearly 4 hours, as the family of Hailey Owens listened to the proceedings. Wood's parents were also present for the motions hearing.

Craig Wood's jury trial is set to begin September 26th with jurors to be brought from Platte County.

(...)

The most frustrating argument for the family of Hailey Owens to listen to was when the defense asked the judge to push the start of the trial back by several months.

The defense attorneys say they are too overworked and understaffed to provide a competent defense for Wood. Tom Jacquinot said he and Patrick Berrigan want either a plea bargain or to push the start of the trial back several months.

(...)

Judge Mountjoy did not make any decision Thursday, but scheduled another hearing for August 11 at 9:30 a.m.
http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Hailey-Owens-murder-trial-could-be-postponed-387879232.html

Judge delays trial for Craig Wood, accused of murder of Hailey Owens

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Judge-delays-trial-date-for-Craig-Wood-accused-in-death-of-Hailey-Owens-389551532.html

The trial for the former teacher's aide and coach accused of kidnapping and killing Hailey Owens is delayed.

Craig Wood's jury trial was set to begin in Springfield on Sept. 26 with jurors from Platte County, on the north side of Kansas City That will not happen.

A judge granted a continuance in the case for attorneys for Wood. The murder trial now may be pushed back to May 2017.

​Hailey Owens' parents react to delay in jury trial
“It is almost a slap in the face,” said Jeff Barfield, Hailey’s stepfather.

Jeff and Hailey’s mother, Stacey Barfield, say they weren’t looking forward to Wood’s jury trial later this year.

“We go into court all these times, and every time we go, we’re reminded of what happened,” Jeff said.

But the Barfields say they were ready to watch Wood face a jury.

“There’s no way to truly prepare,” said Jeff, “It’s just trying to let your mind know that you’ve got to deal with this, and it’s another step along the way to get justice.”

“I was frustrated,” said Hailey’s mother Stacey.

She says the delay is stressful on her entire family because they all made plans to attend the trial.

These defense attorneys are despicable. IIRC, they're getting advice from one of the most belligerent, intimidating defense attorneys in the area, Dee Wampler. He specializes in these kinds of delays and intimidation tactics. He'll have the defense turn the jury selection into a three ring circus.

Wampler is helping Wood because his parents have status in the community, good "Christians" and all

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/20/missouri-missing-girl-accused-killer/5655831/

Wampler will always defend the most heinous criminals as long as they or their families are good Christians. He intimidates prosecutors and judges to get delays and reduced sentences

http://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...double-slaying-waives-right-hearing/17714895/

He also defended Gerald Carnahan, who was convicted many years after murdering Jackie Johns and was also suspected in the disappearance of the Springfield Three. Carnahan killed Johns in 1985, but LE didn't arrest and convict Carnahan until 2007, largely because Wampler intimidated them.

www.ozarksfirst.com/news/gerald-carnahan-formally-sentenced-for-jackie-johns-murder

Wampler also defended Jon Feeney, who was acquitted of killing his wife and 2 children

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/10/07/us/man-acquitted-of-killing-wife-and-2-children.html

He will help Woods' attorneys drag this case out as long as possible.

ETA: While the good "Christian" Wampler is ready and eager to defend child molestors and murderers, he really hates gay people

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/19/no_ones_trying_to_cram_homosexuality_down_your_throat/

From last month:

Trial for man accused of killing Hailey Owens rescheduled to a year from now

http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/crime/2016/10/27/trial-man-accused-killing-hailey-owens-rescheduled-year-now/92848826/

The trial for Craig Wood, the man accused of killing Springfield 10-year-old Hailey Owens in 2014, has been pushed back again.

At a court appearance on Thursday afternoon, Judge Thomas Mountjoy rescheduled Wood's trial to begin with jury selection on Oct. 23, 2017.

The trial was pushed back the first time after Wood's defense attorneys said they wouldn't be ready, and it was pushed back again on Thursday because Wood's attorneys have a scheduling conflict with the May date.

Craig Michael Wood Appears In Court
The accused killer of 10-year-old, Hailey Owens, appeared in court today, roughly three years from her kidnapping and death that shocked the community.

Today’s hearing involved a dispute between the defense and the state using medical reports from doctors on Craig Wood, possibly for trial. The judge did not make an immediate ruling, but stated that it shouldn’t take him long to decide.

It appears he is disputing cameras in the courtroom and trying to suppress some evidence as well. JMO

02/08/2017
Response Filed
Defendants response to States Supplemental Suggestions Regarding Expert Witness Disclosures per rule 25 and Request for State Mental Examination per rule 25.06(B)(9); Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. /mnm
*****Filed By: PATRICK JOSEPH BERRIGAN

*****On Behalf Of: CRAIG MICHAEL WOOD
02/07/2017
Objections Filed
Defendant's Objections to Cameras in the Courtroom. Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. /sel

02/06/2017
Objections Filed
Defendant's Objection to Re-Opening Evidence on Defendant's Motion to Suppress Evidence and Statements. Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. /sel

according to casenet.mo

Remembering Hailey Owens three years later

The memory of Hailey Owens remains strong in the Ozarks. Hailey's mom says the loss of her daughter has left a permanent void, but she and her family continue to make sure Hailey's death will not be in vain.

"Although it is three years, it seems like yesterday," Stacey Barfield said.

Barfield says while each day is hard, the three-year anniversary of her daughter's death was especially difficult.

"It helps, today, considering that I have, you know, family, what I call family around me," Barfield said.

Hailey Owens' accused killer Craig Wood wants a deal

Craig Wood is making a play for a plea deal.

Police arrested him nearly three years ago. He was charged with kidnapping, sexually assaulting and killing 10 year-old Hailey Owens.

Last fall, Wood's attorney sent a letter to the Greene County Prosecutor.

It's only now, two days after his last court appearance that this information has been made public.

"To me, what this appears to be is a strategic effort to put pressure, it's a chess game, there's no question," says David Ransin.

Craig Wood will be back in court this April.

Stepfather of murdered Missouri girl indicted on child *advertiser censored* charges

The stepfather of a 10-year-old Springfield girl who was kidnapped and killed in 2014 has been indicted on a federal child *advertiser censored* charge.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article133828954.html#storylink=cpy

How disgusting that he could do something like this after little Hailey was murdered by someone just like him. moo

"Jeffrey W. Barfield, 38, pleaded not guilty to a charge of sexual exploitation of a minor during an arraignment hearing that lasted about two minutes. His next court date was scheduled for May 8.

Barfield left the courthouse holding hands with his wife Stacey. He declined to comment on the case."

SMH

http://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...-child-*advertiser censored*-charge/98480482/

Mother of Hailey Owens asks prosecutor to drop death penalty
(...) Craig Wood — the man accused of kidnapping, raping and murdering 10-year-old Hailey in 2014 — is willing to spend the rest of his life in prison if, in exchange, the Greene County prosecutor drops his pursuit of the death penalty.

Stacey Barfield, Hailey's mom, told the News-Leader on Tuesday she wants prosecutors to take that deal.

"I don't want to go through the trial because I don't want to relive the nightmare," Barfield said. "I'm never going to be over it, but just re-seeing it is going to make it 10 times worse."

List of more than 100 witnesses in Craig Wood trial to be whittled down

http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/crime/2017/05/25/craig-wood-witness-list/345023001/

A jury trial for Wood is scheduled for late October, and prosecutors have submitted a list of 119 potential witnesses.

Wood's attorney, Patrick Berrigan, said he needs to know which of those people will actually be called to the stand at trial.

Deposing more than 100 people before the October trial would be extremely time-intensive and a waste of taxpayer money, said Berrigan, a public defender.

Mountjoy scheduled the witness list exchange for Aug. 22, giving Berrigan another month to depose witnesses before Wood's Oct. 23 jury trial.

I don't blame Stacey, I hope she doesn't have to experience a trial. It seems very unnecessary if the right plea bargain is negotiated.

I think she may be afraid the current problems with her husband may be brought up in trial and that is understandable. On one hand I can also understand not wanting to relive the details of what Hailey went through. Another part, a surviving parent, wants to see him punished with death.
I am biased, having lost my son, I want these criminals to never have a chance to hurt someone else's child.

Hailey Owens' accused killer challenges Missouri death penalty law
The man from Springfield who is charged with kidnapping, raping and killing 10-year-old Hailey Owens wants the death penalty taken off the table -- not just in his case but in all first-degree murder cases in Missouri.

Craig Wood’s lawyer filed a motion in Greene County Circuit Court this week with his arguments against the state's death penalty statutes. He laid out his case to remove the death penalty from this trial in a motion that covers 52 pages. If the Missouri Supreme Court would eventually agree with such a ruling, it would invalidate the Missouri laws on death penalties.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AliWicked77
Back