GUILTY MO - Kara Kopetsky, 17 in 2007; Jessica Runions, 21 in 2016; found deceased - *ARREST* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Katelynn Farris pt 6 (continued)
@MattFlenerKMBC

3m
Katelynn Farris is now back on the witness stand. Jury returning.
@AFGutierrez
30s
Farris says when they were at a diner Yust told her that 'he strangled the out of her' referring to Kopetsky
3m
Cass County Prosecutor Ben Butler now talking to Farris to recap the FBI recording. Farris says she went to a diner with Yust. Butler: "Is that where he said "He strangled the f out of her and left her out in the f'ing woods." Farris: "Yes."

3m
Farris said they went to Walgreens to buy supplies for the Ouija board. They went to Barnes and Noble to look up a book on how to make a Ouija board. Farris said the FBI wire was in her bra. She had a key-fob wire in her pocket.

44s
Farris testifies the FBI had a plan to make sure she was safe. They went back to Yust's apartment to get a planchette to use on the Ouija board. Then, they go out to the woods to use the Ouija board.

1m
The woods were over by his grandpa's house in Grandview. Farris guesstimates around 15-20 minutes from Yust's apartment.

1m
Farris said she parked by the side of the road on a yellow barricade. She said there was a field, and large wooded area by a stream. She said it was winter time and very cold.

@AFGutierrez
29s
They used the Ouija board in a wooded area near Yust's grandfather's house. It was during the winter months, snow was still on the ground. Farris was skeptical that this was the area where he dumped the body. She never asked and Yust never said.​

51s
Farris said she was skeptical about this being the spot for Yust to bring Kara Kopetsky's body. Farris: "I did ask, How do you know this was the spot?" She testifies Yust said it was because of a specific tree (Wasn't the eventual spot where Kara was found

1m
Farris says Yust confronted her after investigators searched that exact spot after the recording. She denied knowing anything about it to Yust. Farris said she was not concerned about it.

1m
Farris now testifying about how she moved back from North Carolina to move in with Kylr Yust. She said it was not a romantic relationship.

25s
Now back to the FBI recording. PROSECUTOR BUTLER: When you're told that Kylr killed someone, was the plan to "run out afraid?" FARRIS: "I wasn't really told. They told me whenever it ended it ended." Farris said she wasn't really afraid of Kylr.

36s
Butler: "Katelynn, why did you put yourself through all that and agree to do this?" Katelynn said she was torn about the hidden wire. But, she eventually agreed to it. Farris: "If I was in that position, I would want somebody to do that for me."

Eydsq4BWQAIs0IY

1m
Here is Katelynn Farris on the stand, testifying about the hidden FBI wire she wore to get a confession from Kylr Yust, to have him take her to the location of where Kara's body was located in Feb. 2011.

35s
Sharon Turlington -- Kylr's defense attorney is now questioning Katelynn Farris.
@AFGutierrez
1m
Defense team now questioning Farris, trying to argue that she wore a wire for the reward money in Kopetsky's disappearance and used the chance for sex as a way to coerce him into a confession.*​

24s
Turlington trying to pin down Farris on whether she may have used sexual innuendos on this day. "You continually let him believe that maybe he could move to North Carolina and move in with you," Turlington said. Farris: "Yes."

47s
On cross/ex: "He's basically just trying to use every line in the book to get with you." Farris: "Yes." He was trying to get you to go to his apartment to have sex, right? Turlington asks. "Probably," Farris said.

4m
Farris said she and Yust left a box of chocolates and cigarettes in the woods for the spirit of Kara Kopetsky.

((*Keep in mind A coerced confession is a confession that’s not voluntary. Kylr voluntarily said everything on this wire. It is perfectly legal for Kat to have lied to Kylr and she did not once say "if you say this, then I will have sex with you."))

20th Witness Seth Duncan, previous roommate of Kylr Yust

@MattFlenerKMBC
9m
Seth Duncan, previous roommate of Kylr Yust and Farris' girlfriend in 2011, now testifying. He testifies he accidentally overdosed on heroin so it is hard for him to get his words out.

10m
Prosecutor Julie Tolle: "But you have everything actually still in your brain." Duncan: "Yes."

@AFGutierrez
8m
Duncan says Yust told him he got into argument with Kopetsky. The argument escalated. Yust tried to restrain her. Before he knew it she wasn't breathing anymore, 'he choked her out'. Yust just sat there in disbelief that he can't believe what he did. #YustTrial
@41ActionNews
EydxRCIXAAYwDer

7m
Seth Duncan testifies Kylr Yust confessed to him to killing Kara Kopetsky. Prosecutor: "Can you tell the jury what he did to Kara Kopetsky? Duncan: "That..." Prosecutor: "Just take your time, it’s OK." Duncan: "He got into an argument with her."

8m
Prosecutor: "He told you that he got into an argument with her. And, what did he tell you he did when he got into the argument with Kara." Duncan: "It escalated."

6m

Duncan: "Before he knew what happened, she wasn’t breathing any more," testifying about what Yust told him. Prosecutor: "Did he tell you that he quote unquote choked her out." Duncan: "Yes"

6m
Prosecutor: "What did you tell her he did?" Duncan: "That he just sat there...he stared in her eyes for a while."

3m
on cross ex. Yust defense attorney Sharon Turlington trying to pin down why Duncan went to police. She's trying to get him to say he only went to police after he spent the night at Katelynn Farris's house. She says it was weeks after Kylr confessed to him.

3m
Duncan is now excused.

21st Witness Jack Crewse, former bandmate

@MattFlenerKMBC
24m
Jack Kruse(sp?) now on the stand. Former bandmate of Yust. He said he saw an argument between Kylr and Kara. Yust came out of a room and smashed a glass picture, he said.

20m
Jack is now testifying about a picture of the band taken at a friend's grandfather's property.

22nd Witness Aaron Capanetto (AC) friend of Yust

@MattFlenerKMBC
19m
Eyd3ky7XEAkR8aM

Aaron Capanetto now on the stand. Former friend of Kylr Yust.

@AFGutierrez
15m
Aaron Caponetto, a friend of Yust for 10 yrs, says Yust came back to his place very drunk. Yust told Caponetto that he killed Kopetsky by strangling her, he wouldn't say what he did with the body.

12m
Caponetto kept this information to himself until September 2016 when Jessica Runions went missing and was last seen with Yust.
13m
Capanetto now testifying about talking to Yust staying at his place with Candice Matthews (St. Clair). Candice and Kylr had been staying for a couple days. He came back one night without her. Intoxicated. Bottle of whiskey. Upset

13m
Capanetto said he knew about Kylr and missing girls. "He admitted to me that he had killed Kara that evening," Capanetto said.

@NorthCassHerald
24m
Cappanetto said he did not tell the police, was in fear of Yust. Eventually did tell police after Runions' disappearance. "To be honest, to live with this information for so many years was tearing me up and to think another girl had disappeared" was him was killing me.

23m
He said Nick Kirkbride was present when Yust confessed to him and "we were both sober."​

13m
Capanetto said Yust told him he didn't come back with Candice Matthews because she left Yust.

14m
"He asked me if I had every loved somebody so much that I would rather see them dead than with somebody else," Capanetto said. Capanetto: I said no. Capanetto: "He told me that he killed Kara and he strangled her."

14m
Capanetto: He told me that she wasn't the only one he had ever killed. He said he was going to leave behind a folder of evidence of locations of bodies, that he was going to have a concert and kill himself.

@AFGutierrez
4m
Caponetto: Yust talked about killing himself in front of everyone during a band performance and would leave behind evidence showing what happened with his victims.​

12m
Capanetto is pictured on the stand. He said he contacted police about the Kylr Yust's confession in 2016 after Jessica Runions went missing.

14m
Capanetto on cross/ex. says he is a DJ, and a music producer.

13m
Capanetto said he has played music at several BDSM (don't Google it) events in Kansas City.

11m
Hard to know where Turlington is going with setting this up.

11m
He is now asking Capanetto about Candice Matthews. Says he saw Candice yesterday, but hadn't seen her in years.

9m
Turlington now cross/ex. about Capanetto's conversation with Yust when he admitted to killing Kopetsky. He wanted us to work on a music project where he would kill himself, and he would leave evidence behind on where he left other bodies.

7m
"I do recall him basically wanting to make a music project where the finale would've been him killing himself," Capanetto said. As for Kopetsky, Yust did not tell Capanetto any specifics, Capanetto said.

5m
Yust attorney "So this is like drunken ranting about being a killer?" Capanetto: "Yes."

5m
Capanetto testifies he was on probation for selling pot. "If you truly believe that someone was a murderer and danger to other people, you wouldn't want anyone else to get hurt?" Turlington said. Capanetto: "That's true"

5m
Turlington: You did not come forward until 2016. Capanetto: True.

3m
Redirect. Prosecutor: Do you feel pretty horrible about the fact that you didn't come forward? Capanetto: "It's one of the worst things that ever happened to me."

1m
Prosecutor Julie Tolle: "The fact you didn't come forward is something that you have to live with for the rest of your life, right?" Defense objection. No further questions. The question hangs.

-- Lunch break...--

Last edited:
Guys, there is 2.5 more weeks of testimony and I feel like they've already got him nailed. We haven't even gotten to the part where modern technology gets involved.

I think he knows he will lose.

I think this is his folder of evidence and performance wrapped into 3 weeks-of-fame.

23rd Witness Nick Kirkbride, friend of Caponetto

EyeNoavXEAEAHsS

@MattFlenerKMBC
4m
BACK FROM LUNCH: Witness Nick Kirkbride, friend with Caponetto. Kirkbride said Yust admitted to him he killed girls via asphyxiation. "I remember him saying I knew I was the devil when I strangled the life out of them," Kirkbride said Yust told him.

@AFGutierrez

6m
Court is back in session, Nick Kirkbride, is back on the stand. Kirkbride was present with Aaron Caponetto during Yust's confession. Kirkbride: Yust said "I remember I was the devil when I strangled the life out of them"​

3m
Kirkbride said Yust told him about a plan to kill himself at a concert. Saying he wanted to blow his brains out with a gun.

1m
Kirkbride said he told someone. Eventually a detective came to Excelsior Springs, where he lived, to talk. Said he agreed to come in to talk to police.

1m
Kirkbride testifies he originally didn't go to police because a serial killer ((referring to Kylr)) had threatened to kill him.
@AFGutierrez
2m
Kirkbride says Yust threatened him and Caponetto if they said anything to anyone. Yust told them he would blow his brain out all over the audience and would leave evidence behind for the victims families.

Caitlin Knute-KSHB
@CKnuteKSHB

40m
"This guy just admitted to being a serial killer. I didn't want to be targeted, too." Nick Kirkbride, witness talking about night Kylr Yust allegedly admitted to killing. This is the conversation previous witness, Aaron Cappanetto shared w/ jury.

32m
Cross/ex. Kirkbride said he went to visit Kylr Yust after he got out of prison to give his painting back. Turlington, Yust's defense attorney, now trying to pick apart why Kirkbride did not go to police. Some tense moments between Kirkbride and Turlington, now

30m
Kirkbride is really digging in here with Sharon Turlington. The tension in both of their voices is very strong.

28m
Now, back to night of confession by Kylr to Aaron Caponetto. Kirkbride testifies Kylr was upset.

28m
Testifies he was sober with Aaron Caponetto. Yust, very drunk.

27m
Turlington says sometimes he's talking about "I love you guys. At other times he's talking about being a serial killer."

26m
"After this happened, and threatened to kill you, you didn't call the police the next day?" Turlington said. "No, because he threatened to kill me," Kirkbride said.

25m
Turlington trying to drive home point about him going back to Kylr Yust to give a painting back after he got out of jail. "And then I never talked to him, or saw him again for the rest of my life," Kirkbride says forcefully into microphone.

23m
More back and forth about giving painting back to Yust.

Caitlin Knute-KSHB
@CKnuteKSHB

36m
says he was trying to play along and make Yust think they were still friends so he'd leave him alone. This witness is getting TESTY w/ the defense, and does NOT like her line of questioning.
@AFGutierrez
30m
Defense attorney Sharon Turlington attempting to cast doubt in Kirkbride's credibility by saying what he said during the deposition doesn't match testimony today.
Caitlin Knute-KSHB
@CKnuteKSHB

31m
"I remember you asking me the same question 10 different times trying to throw me off because that is your job," Nick Kirkbride, responding to the defense during cross examination. Again, this witness is NOT pleased w/ the defense's line of questioning.;)

Last edited:
24th Witness FBI Special Agent John Hauger

EyeSD2-XAAk68WJ

@AFGutierrez
@FBI
S.A. John Hauger is on the stand. Previously based out of
@FBIKansasCity
. He is one 70 agents that specialize in cell phone records. They work to show where a phone was, find a phone in real-time and teach local & state enforcement these techniques

39m

Hauger was tasked in examining Kopetsky's phone records and setting up the wire that Farris wore in 2011.

Matt Flener KMBC
@MattFlenerKMBC

37m
Hauger said he was asked to assist several times. Says he was involved in the Katelynn Farris wiretap. "Very, very nervously," describing his agency's demeanor on the wiretap. "Not much sleep was going on that night."

37m
Hauger says FBI lost connection with Farris during the wiretap. When Katelynn went into woods, transmitter stopped transmitting, Hauger said. Says there was a plane circling above Farris and Yust to keep an eye on her.

36m
Talking about cell technology during disappearances Says Kara was the era of 2G. Jessica was the era 3G. Today we are 5G.

33m
Hauger sounds like he is now going to testify about Kara's cell phone records on the date of her disappearance.

25m
9:13 a.m. Kara outgoing call to 816-682-#### - Kylr Yust's phone. Discussion regarding billed calls. Cingular billed two minutes of air time for the call. At least 61 seconds of airtime was used here. Call could be billed for a very long voice mail.

25m

9:20 a.m. May 4, 2007 incoming 816-682-#### from Kylr to Kara. Was a 1 minute billed call. Prosecutor: "When is the very last call that Kara Kopetsky ever makes?" Hauger: "10:25 a.m. on the 4th." Prosecutor didn't establish who this was. May come back

22m

Looking at maps now, talking about Kara's phone calls made at night. Most likely around Kara's house. Next morning, 5-4-2007, Kara's phone was in the area of a tower near Belton High School.

Page 10 -- last activity of cell records. Same tower, but facing away from the home and high school. This is referencing the 10:25 a.m. phone call on May 4. Signal has moved away -- facing northeast of cell tower. Signal before was facing south.

19m
Hauger talking now about data usage just after 1 p.m. on Kara's phone. Says it's hard to decipher data location with AT&T.

19m
Was there a call made by Kara at night on 5-4-2007? Hauger says not from the records he sees.

19m
Now talking about Kylr Yust's T-Mobile phone records.

10m
Kylr Yust has calls on 5/3/2007. Big gap Kylr Yust cell calls pick back up in evening on 5/4/07. Nothing earlier in the day.

10m

T-Mobile was going from 2G to 3G. Back in 2007. Type of report used by T-Mobile didn't capture all cell sites. "There's no way for Law Enforcement to obtain records that don't exist, right?" Calls happened. It's incredibly bad luck. Why was there gap?

10m

Yust phone records show activity on Yust's phone on 5/4/2007. 902 pm 906 pm 912 pm 926 pm 943 pm 1000 pm 1004 pm 1005 pm 1034 pm 1110 pm Near Belton High School

6m

cross/ex. Yust attorney Matt Vigil now talking about a call on 1:03 p.m. on 5/6/2007. (I missed which phone this was for).

@CKnuteKSHB
7m
They didn't elaborate on that call/voicemail, what it might or might not mean.
@CKnuteKSHB
8m
Defense on cross gives FBI agent what appear to be cell records, agent says he hasn't seen these before. It includes a ping to Kara's phone (I think an incoming call?) after 1pm the day Kara went missing. Agent seemed to agree that could be Voicemail coming through.​

@CKnuteKSHB
5m
Defense: "It was your job to go to T-Mobile and get all the information you could?" Agent: "Yes." Defense: "Yet you've never seen this report?" Agent agrees, but says he didn't get these records and start looking into this till 2012, and TMobile didn't keep '07 records that long.

6m

FBI Special Agent John Hauger on the witness stand talking about cell phone records for Kara Kopetsky and Kylr Yust.

1m

Yust Attorney Matt Vigil going back and forth with Hauger about why there is no location records for Yust's cell phone on 5/4.​

@AFGutierrez

17m
Hauger now reviewing Yust's cell phone records, he explains that there is a gap between 5/3 until the evening of 5/4 because the cell provider (T-Mobile) at the time was operating on 2G & for certain calls, the system didn't capture all cell sites.

5m

To clarify these are location records that would show where Kylr Yust was the day Kara disappeared. Also, State just clarified, the ping on Kara's phone was a text message that appeared to have been sent after 1 pm that day. State notes that could have come from anyone.​

25th Witness Jaime Runions, mother of Jessica Runions (victim #2)

@AFGutierrez
3m
Prosecutors have called Jamie Runions, the mother of Jessica Runions, to testify

2m
Jessica was 21 years old when she disappeared in September 2016. She was living with Jaxxon, her boyfriend, at the time.

@MattFlenerKMBC
3m

"She used to call me a mama bear, but she was a mama bear herself." She took care of her little sisters.

@MattFlenerKMBC
2m
Jamie Runions testifies about September 8, 2016, when Jessica went missing. Jessica sent a FB message to Jamie. Last actual text was a group text the night before.

@AFGutierrez
34s

On 9/9/16 Jamie was supposed to meet Jessica at her home to go to an appointment following up on a surgery for her appendix. Her car was not there when she showed up

@MattFlenerKMBC
1m
Runions testified she planned to see Jessica on Sept. 9, 2016. She had a follow-up appointment after an appendectomy to be able to return to work. Scheduled around 2pm. Runions was going to go to appt with Jessica. Jessica's car wasn't at her house.

54s
Called her. Texted her. Called Jessica's boyfriend. Went straight to voicemail. Text was "green like it didn't send."

1m
Runions said it was not like her. So she started panicking. She called everyone she could think of. She eventually got a call from Jessica's boyfriend after 7pm.

1m
Jaxson tells her she was going to a friend's house.

@AFGutierrez
2m
Jamie went into a panic when Jessica didn't answer her text messages or pick up her phone She called everybody she could think of
34s
Jamie learned that she was last seen on 9/8/16. Eventually she also learned at the police department that Jessica had been in a relationship with Kylr.

@MattFlenerKMBC
25s
Runions then filed a missing persons report.

33s

Runions: "It was the longest seven months of my life. Her father and I would search." Runions: "We would search every night. We searched hot cold rain snow, we searched every chance we could get."

40s
Runions: "The community was absolutely wonderful to help search."
@AFGutierrez
8s
Prosecutor shows Jamie a copy of the missing flyer that the family handed out as they searched for Jessica
https://everipedia-storage.s3.amazonaws.com/NewlinkFiles/12583424/31464986.png

2m

Runions testifies the Beckfords (Kopetsky's family) called her about missing remains found. "Because we were close," she said.

3m

Runions is NOT cross-examined by defense. Her testimony is done.

26th Witness Jaxon Mallett boyfriend of Jessica Runions

@CKnuteKSHB
4m
Jaxxon, Jessica's boyfriend is on the stand. He was a manager at a CD store Yust used to frequent, and said Yust seemed lost and he tried to be there for him as a friend. When Kara disappeared, he said Yust said he had nothing to do with it. Years later he started dating Jessica.
@AFGutierrez
3m
Jaxxon met Jessica at Foxwood, a retirement community where the two worked together. They were in a relationship for three years but once they moved in together it got rocky and they separated for a while.

2m

Jaxxon didn't know Jessica was seeing Kylr. Jaxxon confronted her about the circumstances and cut off contact with Kylr

51s
Kylr showed up to their home in the middle of the night three to four times demanding to speak with Jessica. This made Jaxxon concerned for Jessica's safety
@MattFlenerKMBC
4m
Recess over. Jaxon Mallett on the stand. Jaxon was Jessica's boyfriend. They met at Foxwood, a senior retirement center where they worked.

2m
Jaxon said he cut off contact with Yust after he learned Runions and Yust were sleeping together. She remained living at Mallett's house.

3m
He said Yust would come over to their house banging on the door for Runions. He said it happened 3 or 4 times.

2m
"It made me concerned. If somebody's coming to my door and banging on it incessantly, it made me concerned," Mallett said. He said he was concerned for Runions when this happened.

47s @AFGutierrez
On 9/8/16 Jessica had just got out of surgery for her appendix, she told Jaxxon that she was going to a friend's house for drinks. She left their home right around sunset. 'Go have fun let me know when you're coming back home so I unlock the door'

50s
They were texting back and forth, it stopped around 10pm. He assumed Jessica's phone had died. She didn't show up home the morning after.

@MattFlenerKMBC
2m
Mallett said she left for a friends house the last time he saw her on Sept. 8, 2016. He texted her about some things throughout the night. Eventually she stopped texting back. Last contact was at about 10 p.m.

59s
@CKnuteKSHB
The night Jessica left the home she shared w/ Jaxon, she said she was going to a friend's house to have drinks. The two were talking about working things out, but he said he trusted her. He said he texted her and she responded for awhile, then she stopped responding around 10pm.

@AFGutierrez
1m
Jaxxon reached out to Jessica's mother, worried, told her they needed to file a missing persons report. He didn't reach out to Kylr.

@CKnuteKSHB
59s
The next morning Jessica hadn't come home, and her mom called him asking where she was. Jaxon went with the mom to file a police report.

@MattFlenerKMBC
42s
Cross/ex. Attorney Matt Vigil starts talking to Mallett about Runions' marijuana use. Proseuction objects.

@AFGutierrez
1m
Defense asking Jaxxon if Jessica knew about Kylr's involvement with Kara Kopetsky. Jaxxon: 'yes'

Last edited:
27th Witness Tiffany Vess, friend of Jessica and Yust

@MattFlenerKMBC
2m
EyeqgY0WEAAZq39

Tiffany Vess is on the stand now. Knew Runions and Yust. Allyn Alvarado was her best friend. (Alvarado's house was last known location of Runions at a party).

@AFGutierrez
8m
The night of 9/8/16 the plans were supposed to go to MissieBs but that didn't happen. Instead they hung out at Alvarado's place around the fire pit.
7m
Kylr and Jessica showed up together about 30 mins after Tiffany did.
6m
Kylr and Jessica came through the basement door. Jessica was just standing there, Kylr looked drunk
4m
Kylr became irritated after a bedroom door got locked and felt that he was being kept out. Alan, Jessica and Tiffany were smoking weed in that room. Kylr was also upset that they hadn't gone to MissieBs
3m
After the locked door incident, Kylr became really 'clingy' around Jessica. Professing his love for her. At one point he was near her and they had fallen back near fire pit-almost got burned.
1m
Jessica was talking about how she needed to go home because of work and the doctor's appointment. Kylr got angry asking Jessica: 'are you just going to go back to Jaxxon???' Kylr seemed like out of it--observed mood swings, Tiffany says.​

1m
Vess testifies she, Allyn, and Jessica went into Allyn's bedroom to smoke weed.

24s

Ben Butler, prosecutor: How was Yust around Jessica when you went back outside? "I remember him being very clingy toward her." "He was kind of all over her, kissing, hugging, stuff like that," she said.

37s

"There was one point where he was near her and they had fallen back and they had fallen near the fire pit, they almost got burned," Vess said. Said Jessica eventually said she wanted to leave. re: Yust: "I remember him being pretty passionate about it and angry."

45s
"He said are you just going to go back to Jaxon?" Vess said.

52s

Vess says Yust grabbed Allyn really hard. She says Allyn asked Yust to leave. Said it was out of the ordinary for Allyn to kick Yust out.

@AFGutierrez
1m
Alan showed Tiffany his arm-it had marks-saying that Kylr had grabbed him At another point Kylr took off his shirt. Alan eventually asked Kylr to leave after he got loud.

1m
That was the last time Tiffany saw Kylr and Jessica

2m
Defense attorney Matt Vigil points out Kylr got more drunk as the evening wore on--chugging
greygoose in one hand and wine in the other. Jessica didn't drink much that night.
4m
As they were leaving Vigil says Kylr was acting like a 'drunk idiot'. Kylr insist that he is going to drive Jessica's car out of the driveway, while doing so, Kylr hits Alan's mom car. Jessica then gets into the driver's seat. They leave at 11:42 p.m.

@CKnuteKSHB
15m
Tiffany Vess: The night of the party Yust was getting loud and angry, at one point took his shirt off, and Alan (party host) kicked Yust out of his house. As Yust was leaving, he clipped the party host's Mom's car. Then they got bk in car, and Jessica got in driver's seat.

Last edited:
28th Witness Allyn Alvarado

Andres Gutierrez
@AFGutierrez

3m
Alan(sic) Alvarado, the host of the party is now on the stand.
1m
Alan met Jessica at Kylr grandfather's place a few months earlier. He invited her to come over on 9/8/16 to hang out. Kylr was bothered that he wasn't initially invited.

@NorthCassHerald
·
1h

Alvarado on Jessica Runions: "I had just met her and she was just an amazing person. Something about her laugh and her attitude, there was something about her, I just knew we were going to be friends."

32s
Jessica wanted Kylr to join them But Alan didn't want him over. Jessica and Kylr showed up around 9pm. When he showed up Kylr was already drunk.

1h

He said he received a message from Kylr expressing irritation that he wasn't invited, but "I really wanted it to be just us, Tiffany, Jessica and I."

19s
Alan observed Kylr's mood swings. Alan always locks the backdoor, not intentional, Kylr was left outside. Kylr took this personally, behaving aggressively. Afterward, Kylr and Jessica took turns on each other's lap.
https://twitter.com/NorthCassHerald/status/1380266231555616773
1h

"I noticed a change (in Yust) when we had gone in the house. I always lock the back door out of habit, and I guess he got left out." Yust was "aggressive" when he got in the house, charging in and jumping on the bed. "It was, I don't know, very intimidating," Alvarado said.
1h

Things got better again, he testified, with Kylr and Jessica "sitting on each other" and "making cat noises to each other, so I thought that was pretty silly," Alvarado said.​
https://twitter.com/NorthCassHerald/status/1380266612306161669

29m

Kylr got upset when he learned that Jessica deleted pictures off of Facebook that were of Jessica and Kylr together. Later on Kylr thought Alan was making a move on Jessica by extending the initial invite to her but Alan told Kylr that he's gay.

1h

"Jessica seemed intimidated," Alvarado said.1h
He was upset with me saying I wanted to hang out with Jessica, and I said, "hey, no, I'm gay. So there's no problem there." But, he said, "he grabbed me by my shoulders and arm and dug his nails into me." Alvarado later reported the incident to the police. "It scared me," he said

1h

Alvarado said he immediately messaged Jessica and said "you guys have to leave, now." He said he later provided his phone to law enforcement so all his communications could be confirmed.

41m
Yust grabbed him by his arms and shoulders and dug his nails into his skin. Alvarado said he had scars from it.

40m
Alvarado said he asked them to leave around 11 p.m. Says he messaged Jessica after Yust became angry with him. Alvarado said, "You guys have to leave, now."

1h

He then related the story of Kylr backing her black SUV out of the curving driveway, hitting his mother's car. He said he made sure that drivers were switched and that Jessica was driving when they left. "I told her he couldn't drive. He was completely intoxicated."​

38m
SUV goes in reverse and hits his mom's car. "I noticed it was Kylr who was driving," Alvarado said. They switched roles. He's completely intoxicated. Jessica was driving when they left. Alvarado asks Jessica to call him. Never heard from her again

37m

Alvarado called Yust to say Jessica did not go to her appointment the next day. "He said that she had dropped him off, told him to f'off, and she left," Alvarado said. He says Kylr did not offer to come help look for her.​

35m
Alan never hears from Jessica. The next day, Jaxxon messages Alan asking if he had heard from Jessica. Alan says no. Alan calls Kylr. Kylr say Jessica dropped him, told him to off and left. Didn't sound concerned she was missing.

1h

He said he later heard reports of Jessica's burned SUV and the search for Yust. He confirmed that Yust had no burn marks on his face when he left the party.

33m
Defense team now questioning Alan. Attorney Sharon Turlington trying to portray Kylr as an extremely 'drunk idiot'.

36m
Defense cross ex. of Allyn Alvarado. Sharon Turlington again. Doesn't turn on mic. She's done that multiple times in case.

36m

Alvarado testifies it was a surprise Kylr came over with Jessica.

35m
Turlington: "Kylr that night was basically a drunken idiot." Alvarado. "No. He was drunk but I wouldn't call him an idiot."

1h

Under cross-examination, Alvarado said he told Yust a missing person report was going to be filed on Runions and Yust said, "what does that have to do with me?"

Last edited:
29th Witness ?? Coworker of Yust

26m

State calls a witness who they're identifying by initials.(Just initials...due to personal issues, says proseuctor Julie Tolle.) He's one of Kylr co-workers at Complete Bumpers in KCK. On 9/9/16 the employee notes Kylr had scratches on his face and looks like he didn't want to be there and left work early.

24m

That worker then saw Kylr's face on the news later and noted that Kylr's face looked burned and his hair was shorter than on 9/9.

30m
Witness says Kylr Yust arrived before him at work on Sept. 9, 2016. He saw Yust's scratches on his face. He says Yust wanted to leave and didn't want to be there. Testifies Yust left work early.

21m

Missed most of the cross ex., but Tolle redirects to establish Yust's co-worker did see Yust leave work that day early on Sept. 9, 2016.

30th Witness KCMPD Sgt. Barbara Eckert

19m
Retired
@kcpolice
Sgt. Barbara Eckert now testifying, she oversaw the homicide squad assigned to investigate Jessica's case

14m
Now reading Jessica's emails she got under a subpoena between Kylr and Jessica.

12m
Jessica sends him an email saying sex is an issue with Kylr, that she keeps telling him no, but he keeps pushing.

13m

Reviewing e-mails that Kylr and Jessica sent back and forth in July 2016. In one, Jessica tells Kylr she can't provide him with what he wants.

47m
"I just need to stay out of it. Be single and get my life straightened out," Jessica says to Kylr in an email.

1m
Sgt. Eckert continues to read e-mails between Jessica and Kylr. Some are extremely graphic in nature--surrounding sex.

7m
"I miss you so f'ing much Jess. I literally hate it when you're upset with me," she reads.

25m
Sgt. Eckert still reading emails between Kylr and Jessica - literally squirming in my seat. The desperation and unpredictability of his words against the patience and careful phrasing of hers are wrenching to listen to, knowing the outcome.

5m

Yust emails here to Jessica: "Please let me make you happy again. You're the only woman I want to be with," in the email. Another. "Jess please talk to me for 5 minutes. Hear me out." Another... "...I don't deserve to have you. I deserve to be alone."

3m
Yust emails to Jessica: "I know you probably don't miss me. But, I'm trying to get you to listen." "Please talk to me Jess, you're everything to me." "You're the woman of my dreams."

4m

"We have so much love for each other and consider forgiving me."

1m

Kylr Yust sent a lot of emails to Jessica.

3m
Sgt. Eckert now testifying about a Jackson County jail call she listened to of Kylr Yust. Defense objects and approaches.

8m

Now there's a recording of a call from Kylr at the Jackson County Detention Center to his mother where he berates her constantly for everything from not getting him a birthday present in 5 years to it being her fault he is in jail. "If you want to blame it on me, I can take it."

2m
"I love you very much. I'm not ever going to be out of here, you realize that, right?" Asks his mom to order him a book.

3m
"I'm sorry that you're jealous of Jessep," mom said.

11m
His Mom says he's jealous of his half brother, Jessup. Later he seems to confirm that, talking about how he was the golden child and she did so much more for him.

1m

Sounds like mom and Kylr are arguing about how he was raised.

12m

He's basically accusing her of neglecting him, committing adultery, leaving him vulnerable to some kind of abuse (it's hard to hear some of this)...

3m
Kylr is demanding that his mother send him a book for his birthday. His mom says she'll visit him in jail. Kylr doesn't believe her. He is very short with her.

48s

Kylr is very upset with her about the way he was raised. Mom: why don't you admit that you choked that girl? Kylr accuses his mom of premarital sex.

10m
Jailhouse recording between Kylr Yust and Mom: Mom: "So that's why you go out and kill a girl? Yust: "That's part of it." Mom eventually hangs up on him. Camera is on Yust in court who shakes his head

1m

"Why don't you just admit that you killed that girl," mom said. *hard to hear what Yust said next. I believe I heard something similar to this from Kylr -- Do you know what a capital sin is? And not admit it? Yust throws back that his mom committed adultery.

3m

In a second, very brief, call, Kylr's mother implores him, "tell them where (Jessica) is at, Kylr, so her parents can have her back!" The line disconnects.

3m
On another call, his mom strongly believes Kylr knows where Jessica is at--that he took her out to the woods. Kylr denies having anything to do with it.

4m

Kylr's mom on Jackson County jail recording: "So, did you kill Kara, too?" Kylr: "I'm going to talk to a lawyer today..." Then more conversation from Kylr. Mom: "You know what? Bye."

7m

Another jailhouse recording, Yust calls Mom back and apologizes, then says, "I didn't do anything, and I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I did." Later, Mom says "you know where she's at, you drug her body out in the woods somewhere..." Yust, "No I did not."

1m
Defense cross/ex. Sgt. Eckert. Now talking to her about Ofcr. Joshua Meierer.

Testimony has wrapped up for the day. Court resumes tomorrow at 8:30 a.m.

Last edited:
Friday, April 9th:
*Trial continues (Day 5) (@ 8:30am CT) – MO – Kara Elise Kopetsky (17) (last seen at Belton High, May 4, 2007, Belton; found by mushroom hunters in rural Cass County near East 223rd & State Route Y on April 3, 2017) & Jessica S. Runions (21) (missing Sept. 8, 2016, Raymore; her car was found burned near Bannister & Blue River Rds. on Sept. 10, 2016. Found by mushroom hunters in rural Cass County near East 223rd & State Route Y on April 4, 2017) – *Kylr Charles Yust (18 in 2007/29/now 32) indicted (3/1/18) & arraigned (6/18/18) on 2 counts of 1st degree & 2 counts of abandonment of a corpse. Plead not guilty. $1M cash only bond. Originally charged with felony arson for burning Jessica’s car was dismissed on 10/5/17. Charges of 2 counts of abandonment of a corpse-dismissed on 3/4/21).
Trial began 4/5/21. Jury Selection started on 3/29/21 & ended on 3/31/21. Court will be held on Saturdays also. Held in Cass County & jurors from St. Charles County. Jurors will be sequestered throughout the trial (expected to last 3 weeks). Jury: 12 jurors & 3 alternates (12 women & 3 men). One alternate was released on 4/5/21.
Court info from 3/1/18 thru 3/11/21 & jury selection (3/31/21) & Day 1 thru Day 3 of trial (4/5 – 4/7/21) reference post #175 here:
MO - Kara Kopetsky, 17 in 2007; Jessica Runions, 21 in 2016; found deceased - *ARREST* #2

4/8/21: Thursday, Day 4 of Trial: An FBI audio recording made by his ex-girlfriend Katelynn Farris. Farris wore a hidden wire while taking Yust to a spot in the woods where he allegedly buried Kara Kopetsky to contact her via a Ouija board on Feb. 11, 2011. Prosecutor Julie Tolle played this tojurors. Reference posts #179 & 180 for context:
MO - Kara Kopetsky, 17 in 2007; Jessica Runions, 21 in 2016; found deceased - *ARREST* #2
The jury has heard at least 5 hours of this FBI recording.
State witnesses: 19) Katelynn Farris continues testifying. 20) Seth Duncan, previous roommate of Yust. 21) Jack Crewse, former band mate. Yust confessed to him that he choked Kara. 22) Aaron Capanetto, friend of Yust. Also confessed to Aaron about strangling Kara. 23) Nick Kirkbride, friend of Caponetto. Was present when Yust confessed to him & Capanetto. 24) FBI Special Agent John Hauger, was tasked in examining Kara's phone records (where she was) & setting up the wire that Farris wore in 2011. Also Yust's calls. 25) Jaime Runions, Jessica's mother. 26) Jaxon Mallett, boyfriend of Jessica's. 27) Tiffany Vess, friend of Jessica's & Yust's. (Allyn Alvarado was her best friend, which was the last known location of Jessica at a party on 9/8/16). 28) Allyn Alvarado, hosted party. 29) No name, co-worker of Yust @ Complete Bumpers. 30) KCMPD Sgt. Barbara Eckert, oversaw homicide squad into Jessica's case; read emails between Yust & Jessica from July, 2016. Also played recorded calls from Yust (at the Jackson County Detention Center) to his mother. Trial continues at 8:30am on 4/9/21.

Just like Jodi Arias they are making Kylr look like someone he is not. He is not a person who dresses up in a shirt and tie with a suit coat. I pray his looks are not fooling the jury. How dare the defense fool the jury like this. jmo

31st Witness Crystal Taylor, Jessep Carter's wife/ Kylr's sister-in-law

EyiV6dKWYAA30kb

46m
Crystal Taylor is Jessep Carter's former wife. Jessep is Kylr Yust's half-brother. Taylor says there wasn't much of a relationship between Kylr and Jessep. Taylor said she met Jessica Runions once in 2016.

45m
CONTEXT: Jessep Carter committed suicide in the Jackson County Jail in 2018. He was originally jailed on a second degree arson charge. https://kmbc.com/article/suspected-inmate-suicide-under-investigation-in-kansas-city/23336105…

45m
Says Yust and Carter's relationship wasn't good, they didn't see eachother much and continued throughout the years she was with Carter. She didn't know Kopetsky, but met Runions once in 2016.

44m
She said the first time she saw Yust in a long time was when he brought Runions to meet them.

42m
Crystal Taylor met Jessica Runions around August of 2016. Kylr and Jessica came to Edwards to visit the family. They stayed the night. The next day, they went to Kylr's mom's house so kids could go swimming. Taylor starts crying. Says her oldest loved Jessica.

43m
Taylor is talking about Yust and Carter's mom, said she was involved in their lives, she and Carter have kids together

42m
Taylor talking about the time when Yust and Runions came to stay at her and Carter's place. They showed up late, spent the nite. Next day they went to Yust/Carter's mom's house. Her name is Johnine (not sure of spelling).

39m
Back up to night of Sept. 8, 2016, when Jessica went missing. Prosecutor: If Jessep had been gone and not around, that would've stuck out in your mind? Taylor: Yes. Prosecutor: Jessep was with you? Taylor: Yes.

41m
She said everything was normal, Carter was at home the nite of Sept 8. Woke up Sept 9, started to get calls from his mom. Carter was "confused."

42m
Sept. 9, 2016. Taylor and Jessep got up and they took the kids to school.

39m
Sept. 9 2016** They picked the kids up from the bus stop. Took kids to the creek down the street, went to Carter's mom's house, Johnine. Yust had called Johnine demanding to see Carter. Taylor/Carter leave the kids w/ grandma, head to KC to see Yust. #YustTrial

39m
Jessep Carter and Taylor left Edwards and came up to Kylr's grandfather's house on the evening Sept. 9, 2016, she testifies. Says Jessep was confused on why his brother would need him.

38m
Taylor said she probably left Edwards about 5:30. Probably arrived at Kylr's grandfather's house in Raytown around 7-7:30. They pulled up, and Kylr came out of the house to the car.

(( Remember Kylr was allegedly with Frances Lee earlier in the day. We'll see if she is called as a witness - I assume anyone that he was in contact with between 8th and 11th will be))

37m
This is Taylor. Said she and Carter went to Yust's grandpa's house near Raytown. Yust came out of the house got in their car, seemed really rushed, wanted to leave, "get out of there."

33m
Said Yust was mad at her because when they came to pick him up, Carter had had a few beers, Yust wanted him to be sober next time. Then Yust tells Taylor he and Runions had broken up mutually but they were still talking.

33m
"She just had too many other men after her, what do I have to offer?" Yust said to Taylor.

32m
Taylor says then Yust got a phone call.. Taylor heard him saying, "I went to work, talked to her today but she was pretty pissed off at me.. Oh you haven't seen her? Well you should probably file a missing persons report."

34m
Kylr got in the back seat with them. Taylor says she doesn't remember seeing anyone else when he got in. They immediately left, she said. They went to Jessep's uncle Paul Andrulewicz's house about 15 minutes away in Kansas City on 59th St.

34m
They went to Carter's uncle Paul's house in KCMO at 59th & Manchester. It was Carter's family's house. Describing the property.

36m
Jessep and Kylr get out of vehicle at Jessep uncle Paul's house. Taylor said she got out of car at Paul's house, talked about kids. Before that, Taylor said Kylr was getting on her about Jessep drinking.

33m
Carter & Yust went to speak w/ uncle Paul. Yust came back over to the car, small talk. Taylor said she really didn't know him that well

33m
So when this is happening it's just Taylor and Yust in the car while Carter and Uncle Paul are still outside talking.

28m
Taylor said, then, Kylr got a call. She overheard Kylr: "I went to work today, and she was pretty pissed off at me." "Oh, we haven't seen her." "You should probably file a missing persons report," and that was end of the conversation, Taylor said.

33m
Taylor said she was scared, skeptical because what she heard made her wonder.. "because he was a suspect in Kara's case so when i heard that, ideas start going through my head, did he do something?" Wondered if he'd be mad at her since she overheard that phone call.

29m
"What I heard him say made me wonder things, because he was the suspect in Kara's case," Taylor said. "When I heard that, ideas started running through my head." She got scared. Odd, she said, because Kylr told her Jessica broke up with him the week before.

33m
Taylor says Yust didn't say anything about the call after he hung up. Then he was anxious to go. Then the three left and went back to Alfred Yust's house (Kylr's grandpa).

31m
Yust directed Taylor downstairs, turned on the tv for her, left her & went back upstairs, which she thought was really odd.

29m
They go back to Kylr's grandpa's house. Kylr walked Taylor to a living area and said she could sit down and watch TV. He went back upstairs like he was going to go talk to Jessep. Taylor had never been down to the basement. Awkward, she said.​

29m
Taylor is guessing 15 mins later, Carter/Yust left the house. She guesses they were gone for maybe 30, 45 mins. She thinks it was probably dark when they got back

29m
Yust/Carter comes back. Carter came down to talk to Taylor. "He looked very shocked, scared, just uneasy, just kind of like, mindblown," Taylor said. She had known him for 15 years and had 3 kids with him. Said for him to be scared was not usual.

22m
Taylor said Jessep said it was time to go home. She testifies they got ready to leave. It was dark. It was late. She said she wanted to get back home to Edwards.

28m
Taylor said after everything that day she just wanted to go home. All 3 of them left the grandpa's house, she remembers it being dark & late.

22m
Jessep was driving when they left. She was in the front passenger seat. Yust came out. She said Yust had something in his hands. Cannot remember what it was. He placed it and "hid it" in some bushes, Taylor said. Yust then gets in the car.

22m
Prosecutor: "Were you scared?" Taylor: "Yes, I didn't know what was going on. If I would say something to Jessep, he would give me a look, like 'calm down.'" "I believe Jessep didn't want Kylr to see me scared," she said.

23m
Taylor testifies they stopped at Jessep's cousins house in Lone Jack. Anthony Armstrong. When they get there. They got out, went to door. Jessep went inside. She followed. She can't remember if Kylr came in, but said possibly by entryway.

23m
While there, Taylor said Carter goes upstairs, comes back down, handed her a gun & said nothing. Yust didn't see this.

23m
She said Jessep gave her a gun and said, "put this on you." Discreetly. Prosecutor: "Did Yust see you get this gun?" Taylor: "No"

20m
Something said about wet towel, Taylor said. They were there for about 5-10 minutes. They traveled home. Taylor: "Kylr did ask for us to take the batteries out of our phones. He mentioned like he already thrown his out."

20m
Prosecutor: "What goes through your mind when you're told that? Taylor: "Still scared." Jessep and Taylor both took the batteries out of their phones, as directed by Yust, Taylor testifies.

15m
Taylor said a cop saw them and started following them. Taylor says Kylr said the following: "Oh, God, somebody might as well just f'ing kill me now" The cops stopped them.

20m
Carter was driving, a police officer pulled them over. Said Yust started freaking out. "I remember him saying 'Oh my god someone might as well just kill me now.'

16m
Taylor is describing when the police pulled them over, officer told them all to get out of the car. Said an officer took her gun. Carter got ticketed for suspended license, no insurance. Yust was talking to one of the officers like they knew each other. Then they left.

15m
Cops pulled them over. They all got out of the car. Cops found Taylor's gun. Put her in handcuffs. Did he tell you why you got pulled over? Taylor said cop said, "You didn't do anything wrong you're allowed to have a gun.

16m
Cops gave Jessep some sort of ticket. Taylor: I'm not for sure, what. Driving suspended possibly? No insurance. Kylr was talking to one of the police officers. They knew each other. They took the gun. Taylor started driving.

12m
They leave the traffic stop. They got back to Edwards around morning time. Jessep brought Kylr inside a trailer. Jessep took some non-perishable items to Kylr. The trailer belonged to one of Jessep's life long friends. The trailer had sat empty for a while.

13m
Taylor: Trailer didn't have utilities. The trailer was on a gravel road. Neighbor across the street. Lakefront property.

13m
She and Jessep left. Yust stayed behind in the trailer. They went back to Kylr and Jessep's mom's house. She said there was a conversation on the way to the trailer. Yust asked Jessep to call his grandpa and he wanted money.

13m
Jessep and Taylor get back to mom's house. Her kids were there. The police called.

6m
Taylor said later that evening, after dark, Jessep and Johnine (mom) gave their statement to police. Taylor said a police officer came to pick her up to give a statement.

6m
Prosecutor: After this day, was this pretty hard on you? Silence. P: Did you ever talk to Jessica again? Taylor: No. P: Did you ever talk to her parents? T: No. P: Did you ever see Yust again? T: No.

11m
In days & weeks after, Taylor said things were hard, stressful, people saying bad things about Carter

6m
She said after this happened there was a lot of arguing with Jessep.

9m
Taylor says Carter went "downhill" in the year after this, started using drugs. He had struggled w/ drugs yrs before

6m
Taylor said she never felt like she was directly accused. She said it was a scary, stressful, hard time. "We went through a lot," she said.

6m
Taylor said she and Jessep had problems at the beginning of their relationship. They met around 14-15.
7m
Taylor said Jessep Carter was charged with a felony for hurting her in the late 2000's. She said Carter had drug abuse issues. She testifies the events of Sept. 2016 took a toll on their relationship. In 2017, she said Jessep went downhill. Became abusive.

7m
She's describing their relationship over the yrs. They met when she was 14, Carter was 15. There was domestic violence, he was charged with that about 8 yrs prior to Sept 2016
Eyifn43W8AE6Jgj

7m
Taylor and Jessep break up. She goes to a shelter for five months. She eventually reconnected with the kids. She moved to Blue Springs to live with her parents.

12m
The arson happened July 2018.

1m
Taylor said she broke off contact with Jessep. He would try to contact her, but she didn't respond. One day, she said her aunt called her to watch the news. She said she saw Paul's house on fire. She saw Jessep sitting on the curb.​

5m
She'd gotten a restraining order. Then she turned on the news to see Uncle Paul's house on fire, Carter in handcuffs, arrested for arson. At the Jackson County jail, Carter ended his life. Taylor is crying describing this.

1m
Prosecutor: "What happened to him in the Jackson County jail? Taylor: He took his own life. She breaks down crying... Silence. Powerful.

1m
Prosecutor: "That day in September. Why did you go along?" Taylor said Jessep had been drinking. She wanted to be with him. Prosecution done questioning.

1m
Cross/ex. by Molly Hastings -- Yust's defense attorney.

1m
Hastings now getting into the domestic abuse allegation. Apparently he crawled into Taylor's trunk and took her hostage, according to Hastings' question. Carter was convicted for kidnapping her.

4m
"This is the person they [state] say wanted to make you feel safe," defense jabs. State objects, says it's argumentative. ((not sure if it was upheld/stricken - indeed Carter is not on trial so this is irrelevant))

4m
Hastings questions now getting into Sept. 9, 2016. She said Jessep was drunk on the way up from Edwards to Kansas City to see Kylr at Al Yust's house.

1m
Taylor said when they got to Yust's house. Jessep starts driving. Now, Hastings reestablishing facts of the timeline.

1m
Now, timeline goes back to when they returned to Kylr's grandpa's house in Raytown, when Jessep and Kylr apparently leave. Hastings trying to get Taylor to say she didn't know who was coming and going from Kylr's grandpa's house.

3m
She testifies she doesn't remember how long they were gone. They get back. Jessep starts driving. They go to Anthony Armstrong's in Lone Jack.

1m
Taylor testifies she didn't know if Anthony Armstrong was there. Jessep gives her the gun. No explanation, but asks her to carry it, she testifies.

2m
Taylor testifies she didn't know if Anthony Armstrong was there. Jessep gives her the gun. No explanation, but asks her to carry it, she testifies.

42s
Taylor said Jessep normally carried a knife. Defense: At no point were you scared enough to use the gun on Kylr? Taylor: No. Defense: For Jessep to use the knife on Kylr. Taylor: No

49s
Now, to the traffic stop. 3:25 a.m. Taylor testifies it took a few minutes for Jessep to pull over.

3m
Second officer who pulls up has his gun drawn as he came up to the car, Hastings said.

53s
"Officer yelled out "gun," during traffic stop. Taylor testifies she lied to the police about the gun. Hastings said Taylor said her grandfather had passed away and that she inherited it from her G'pa, and she carried it.

2m
Defense points out that when all 3 of them were pulled over, Carter initially didn't stop, Taylor confirms. Taylor confirms she lied to the police when they asked about it, that she'd inherited the gun from her dead grandpa, that she always carries it

26s
So keep in mind when this traffic stop happened, that's the same day KCPD would find Jessica Runions' burned out car. But at the time, the cops in Henry County said there was nothing in the system indicating anything about that.

2m
More cross ex by Hastings. Back and forth about timeline.

4m
Defense asks if she noticed anything about Yust's appearance. Taylor says she didn't.

2m
Now, questions about Carter's drug use.

17s
Now, back to uncle Paul's house and the news footage Taylor saw of Carter sitting on curb at the house as it was burning. Sounds like defense might be trying to paint Jessep as potential suspect in Runions death for the jury.

7m
Defense asking Taylor about what happened after Carter hung himself in jail. Taylor said she only got a piece of paper & a shirt but nothing else, couldn't even get his bible. "There was a coded note that he left -" defense atty says. State objects and asks to approach bench.

((appears judge sustained objection))

50s

Defense asks Taylor if they got married in 2017, after a 16 year relationship, so she wouldn't have to testify against Carter. Taylor says no, we'd just gotten pregnant with our fourth child. Taylor done testifying. Short recess.

Eyim6gxWQAQBVI1

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyndHunter