CONVICTION OVERTURNED MO - Kent Heitholt, 48, found murdered, Columbia, 1 Nov 2001

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am glad he is free...... but there is a family who is most likely hurting tonight and that is Mr. Heightholt's family. I can't imagine what they must be feeling tonight.

Last I checked, they still believe that Ryan & Chuck are the two people that killed their beloved family member.

I hope that whoever did this is held accoutable some day.

Just thought I would put this in here.

I am glad he is free...... but there is a family who is most likely hurting tonight and that is Mr. Heightholt's family. I can't imagine what they must be feeling tonight.

Last I checked, they still believe that Ryan & Chuck are the two people that killed their beloved family member.

I hope that whoever did this is held accoutable some day.

Just thought I would put this in here.

That is a shame. They are believing the wrong things. I do hope that they find this person and show them proof so they can feel sure that they have the right man.

They just posted a pic of him with a beer and a steak on the facebook page.

He's now going to try to get his buddy out of jail. So happy for him!

Hope Ryan got his Dairy Queen for dinner!

Yes! I can't imagine being imprisoned for 10 years for a crime you didn't commit, let alone one based on the evidence Ryan was convicted on. It's ridiculous... to me it's criminal. I am glad to see this young man given back his life and hope he adjusts well.

November 13, 2013 8:22 AM
By Amanda Cochran (CBS News)
Ryan Ferguson said on "CBS This Morning" Wednesday that he needs to "build my life back" after spending nearly 10 years behind bars for a murder he says he didn't commit.<snip>In an interview with his father, Bill Ferguson, Ryan Ferguson said on "CTM" that his emotions haven't caught up with him since his release. "It's amazing," he said. "You know, it's quite early in the morning. I haven't really had the opportunity to experience the day yet, but I know as it unfolds there will be new adventures, and it will be incredible, so definitely looking forward to getting into the day."<snip>So what's on the horizon for Ferguson for his first days as a free man? He said he needs to do basic things "that people overlook on a daily basis" - including buying some new clothes. more at link: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57612093/ryan-ferguson-i-need-to-build-my-life-back/

Just heard about this case a couple of weeks ago....so glad he's free!! I feel kind of bad for his jury as they must all be feeling like sh** for their conviction of an innocent man, but then again they were being fed lies like the appeals judge said, so, not really their fault.

I'm so curious about the friend's dreams that led to all of this....why on earth would he have thought they did it? The dreams must have come from worrying that they might have done it, but why would he think that in the first place?? So strange. I guess it was just because the two witnesses said they saw two males?

Anyway, glad it's all over for him.

Just heard about this case a couple of weeks ago....so glad he's free!! I feel kind of bad for his jury as they must all be feeling like sh** for their conviction of an innocent man, but then again they were being fed lies like the appeals judge said, so, not really their fault.

I'm so curious about the friend's dreams that led to all of this....why on earth would he have thought they did it? The dreams must have come from worrying that they might have done it, but why would he think that in the first place?? So strange. I guess it was just because the two witnesses said they saw two males?

Anyway, glad it's all over for him.
The buddy was drunk as a skunk and couldn't remember what he did, but some people give false confessions just to inject themselves in cases for the attention, like John Mark Karr in the JonBenet Ramsey case...

Friday's Dateline will be on Ryan's freedom, yea!!!:loveyou:

The buddy couldn't remember anything about that night, then saw a police sketch of one of the alleged perps and thought it resembled himself so he thought maybe it was him since he couldn't remember that night. Plus he's crazy. Combine all of that and you get a recipe for false confession and a whole lot of trouble.

The buddy couldn't remember anything about that night, then saw a police sketch of one of the alleged perps and thought it resembled himself so he thought maybe it was him since he couldn't remember that night. Plus he's crazy. Combine all of that and you get a recipe for false confession and a whole lot of trouble.

bbm

That's kind of the bottom line of all of this, huh? So sad, he and that other guy caused so much trouble like you said.

Congratulations to Ryan and his family! Wonderful news!

I was not referring to the false confession of Charles Erickson.

If one was to listen to the link I provided, there was an African American male that stated he was responsible for the murder. Again, the information can be found at this link.

As well at this link, they not only discuss what was being done for Ryan Ferguson but as well they discussed various steps being taken on behalf of Charles Erickson.

One simply has to listen to the panel discussion.

http://mediasite.law.umkc.edu/mediasite/Viewer/?peid=aa07f080a00040569739a774099f024b1d

Thanks for sharing this. I recently became interested in this case due to the pure insanity of it all, but seeing this was by far the most jaw-dropping thing I'd seen/heard about it. It seemed a foregone conclusion that Ryan Ferguson wasn't guilty, and likely that Chuck wasn't either, so I kept wondering "If those didn't do it, who did?" And to think that the police were potentially that close to finding the real killer and dismissed it outright because it didn't line up with what they thought at the time is just incomprehensible.

I went back and read through some of the articles Heitholt had written in October of 2001 to see if there was anything that might have "sent someone off the deep end", so to speak (you can view the archive here: http://archive.columbiatribune.com/...FromYear=2001&ToDay=30&ToMonth=10&ToYear=2001).

There's not a whole lot, although he was quite critical of MU football that month - of Coach Pinkel in particular - and following one game he singles out a few bad plays on the part of one player in particular (Tay Jackson). Nothing that would cause those individuals to seek revenge (at least not someone like Coach Pinkel), but maybe something to make a deluded "superfan" want to shut him up? There was one letter to the editor scolding Heitholt for his critical coverage of Pinkel, noting that his lead mentioning something about Pinkel "choking to death" was, in the writer's words, "disgusting" (although reading that specific phrase gave me a shudder).

Heithold also satirically lambastes the athletic department for being under the thumb of an anonymous donor who coughed up $25 million for facility development, I believe. It's pretty tongue and cheek, but certainly would have irked anyone at the school who took issue. But again, not the kind of thing that would drive any sane person into a murderous rage.

I've read many, many people's comments - here and elsewhere - stating that this never seemed like a random murder. So what could the motive possibly be? Other than Heitholt's involvement in drugs, gambling, or some other seedy activity, I would have to think it would involve either his role as a writer (which, being public content, welcomes speculation), or some kind of relationship at work or at home (which is obviously private and hard to speculate).

I wonder who Charles Erickson's attorneys are and if they've been following what Kathleen Zellner has done???

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
disturbedprincess6
Back