MO - Louis Gumpenerger, 33, disabled, murdered, OFallon, Aug 2016 *Guilty* and the murder of Betsy Faria

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow, I had recorded the Dateline episode 'Stranger than Fiction' and just finished watching. I am convinced that PH killed 3 people including her mother. I also don't get the feeling that any of the 3 cases are being pursued based on Attorney Schulz's comments at the end. What a travesty of justice.

It was nice to see a Defense attorney work for a truly innocent man. He reminded me of why we need them, even though most of the time we can't stand them when they're defending people like jodi aria, casy anthoney, and the other monsters we've followed.
Agreed. When I watched the first Dateline episode I so agreed with the husband's conviction and it turns out it was all based on PH's statements. No one else had any knowledge of Betsy's husband placing a pillow over her face or not trusting him with insurance money, etc. Amazing the horrors one person can create. I don't even believe there was an affair between Betsy and Pam. I believe that PH wants to create an intimate relationship between herself and Betsy which would lend credence to Betsy re-assigning her life insurance beneficiary to PH.

The husband's probably the only person on the planet, who cares for this witch! And if he's smart, he'll get a quicky divorce, and leave the state-unless he is planning on testifying for the prosecution!

Feature article on the deaths connected to Pamela Hupp:

https://www.stlmag.com/longform/pam-hupp/

On August 23, the St. Charles County prosecuting attorney and the O’Fallon chief of police announced their theory of the case. They believed Hupp had lured the man to her house by saying she was a Dateline producer and offering to pay him to reenact a 911 scenario for the show. Then she’d shot him in cold blood. Why? To throw suspicion on Russell Faria for a prior murder in which she was the only other logical suspect.

Why then? The heat of scrutiny. Dateline had already aired three episodes on the case (and plans to do at least five—more coverage than it’s given any case except O.J. Simpson and JonBenét Ramsey). The U.S. Attorney’s Office had begun gathering information for its review. In mid-July Russ had filed a civil suit against the Lincoln County prosecutor and the three detectives who investigated his wife’s death, alleging that they “fabricated evidence, ignored exonerating evidence, and failed to investigate the other obvious suspect”...

The day after the shooting, Mark Hupp carried a white garbage bag out to the SUV. Its contents included Shirley Neumann’s will, Betsy Faria’s death certificate, transcripts of Hupp’s police interviews and Russ’ first trial, T-shirts and flip-flops, a 1099 tax form showing Betsy Faria as the recipient, and yellow sticky notes with bank account details for several relatives...

Public relations consultant Richard Callow was retained by Hupp’s attorney, Nicholas Williams, and conveyed our questions to Hupp; at press time, there’d been no response. The St. Louis County Police were still conducting their third review of the death of Pam’s mother but had not reopened the case. The U.S. Attorney’s Office was still reviewing Betsy Faria’s case. No one had been charged with Betsy’s murder.

Chris Kunza Mennemeyer, the judge in Russ’ first trial, has had four cases reversed by the appeals court and is suspended without pay. And Betsy’s daughters are appealing the civil court judge’s decision, last February, to allow Pam to keep the insurance money.

Prosecutors vow to seek death penalty in Pamela Hupp murder trial

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/prosecutors-vow-to-seek-death-penalty-in-pamela-hupp-murder/article_8c7df82c-1e99-549b-aaf3-f7970591a72a.html

Prosecutors here said Thursday that they would seek the death penalty if Pamela Hupp is convicted of murdering a 33-year-old disabled man last year.

Hupp, 58, faces charges of first-degree murder and armed criminal action in the fatal shooting of Louis Gumpenberger on Aug. 16.

At a press conference Thursday afternoon, St. Charles County Prosecuting Attorney Tim Lohmar called the death penalty an “extraordinary remedy” but said the crime qualified as “one of the worst of the worst.”

The trial, subject to change, is set to begin Oct. 3. Lohmar said the death penalty issue could delay that date.

" .... judge ruled this morning that jurors will be brought in from elsewhere for the trial of Pamela Hupp on a murder charge.
Hupp's lawyers sought the use of jurors from outside St. Charles County, because “intense and sustained media coverage” meant that county residents are either “prejudiced against her” or prosecutors have “undue influence over” them, their motion said.
Hupp is charged with murdering a 33-year-old disabled man last year...."

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_acbd9492-ef92-5ec1-8182-f73b966c2fd3.html Ap 7.

Seems like a long haul. Hoping for justice for Mr. Gumpenerger.

Clay County, source of jury pool, is ~242 miles from St.Charles County MO, the trial site, across the state.
Clay Co is NE of KCMO; St Charles CO is west of St. Louis CO.
Map: http://www.bing.com/search?q=distan...nversationid=643EC10752D9407B85F2FD769C4C4D4A

"
A St. Charles County [MO] judge on Friday ordered jurors brought in from the Kansas City area for the murder trial of Pamela Hupp later this year.
St. Charles Circuit Judge Jon Cunningham's motion says that in order to provide Hupp a fair trial, the jurors would be picked in Clay County, Mo., and then brought to St. Charles for the trial.
That trial is scheduled to begin Oct. 3."

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_7a09506d-165d-5e32-8d84-e9f866279572.html. Ap. 24

" .... judge ruled this morning that jurors will be brought in from elsewhere for the trial of Pamela Hupp on a murder charge.
Hupp's lawyers sought the use of jurors from outside St. Charles County, because “intense and sustained media coverage” meant that county residents are either “prejudiced against her” or prosecutors have “undue influence over” them, their motion said.
Hupp is charged with murdering a 33-year-old disabled man last year...."

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_acbd9492-ef92-5ec1-8182-f73b966c2fd3.html Ap 7.

The only flaw in changing venue is the fact that this is being covered as a National News story by Dateline. I know not everyone in the country or even 200 miles away watch Dateline, but clearly it's going to be difficult to convene a jury anywhere in Missouri. PH has so much to answer for and I truly hope justice is served for Louis and his family who are still suffering from his loss. It angers me to some extent that Lincoln County got it so wrong and now 2 additional lives have been lost as a result (Louis & PH's mother). They have blood on their hands for going after the wrong suspect who was actually a victim when he lost his wife. Thank you for the update al66pine...:great:

The only flaw in changing venue is the fact that this is being covered as a National News story by Dateline. I know not everyone in the country or even 200 miles away watch Dateline, but clearly it's going to be difficult to convene a jury anywhere in Missouri. PH has so much to answer for and I truly hope justice is served for Louis and his family who are still suffering from his loss. It angers me to some extent that Lincoln County got it so wrong and now 2 additional lives have been lost as a result (Louis & PH's mother). They have blood on their hands for going after the wrong suspect who was actually a victim when he lost his wife. Thank you for the update al66pine...:great:

^ bbm - Agreeing: it will be difficult to get an impartial jury anywhere in Mo.

IDK about Lincoln County getting it 'so wrong' but I did not follow case, trial or appeal, closely at the time. That said, PH's acts re life ins beneficiary change seem squirrelly enough to show criminal intent and/or motive. And what she said after the death re how she planned to use proceeds (place in trust for deceased's daughters), then what she actually did w the $ (spent on self IIRC).

JM2cts, as always, could be wrong.

Article today : http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_e3963048-c701-58f2-92e3-b8c804140d2e.html

"He sometimes socialized and drank with neighbors, despite his mother’s warnings about being too trusting. “You’re going to end up getting killed or you’re going to end up getting your family hurt,” she would say.

But she also knew that his refusal to listen was part bullheadedness, and partly due to his brain injury. He had problems with speech and balance, and the left side of his body was weak."

"ST. CHARLES COUNTY • A St. Charles County judge on Friday held a pretrial conference in chambers in the Pam Hupp capital murder case, and declined to open it.
The "conference" was billed in court records as an informal discussion of pretrial matters. St. Charles Circuit Judge Jon Cunningham declined, via a clerk, a request by the Post-Dispatch to move the hearing into open court. A deputy sheriff said the same to a Post-Dispatch reporter and journalists from Fox 2/KTVI who were waiting outside..."
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_4927258b-8098-5e40-93c7-f8772e916651.html Oct 13

Hmm?

Pam Hupp's lawyers ask for delay in her murder trial

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/pam-hupp-s-lawyers-ask-for-delay-in-her-murder/article_1cb0e5cd-a4d5-5284-9f04-e181760293da.html

The motion filed Tuesday says prosecutors have not yet turned over all the evidence in the case. The filing says defense lawyers were told that there is a "very large" amount of material to review in the case.

The continuance will likely be discussed at a status conference that was already scheduled for Nov. 17.

"A judge here on Friday postponed the murder trial of Pam Hupp,... A new date will be set within 10 days.
It was the second delay granted for the defense, which is common in murder cases, let alone cases where the prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.
The trial was originally set for Oct. 3, then April 9.

Earlier this month, Hupp's lawyers filed a motion saying they'd been told that there was a "very large" amount of investigative material, and they had not yet received all of it."

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...0fef2e3928.html#tracking-source=home-featured Nov 17.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back