MO - Louis Gumpenerger, 33, disabled, murdered, OFallon, Aug 2016 *Guilty* and the murder of Betsy Faria

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hupp ordered to pay $3 million to victim’s mother
A short article is linked below.
"On Friday, a St. Charles County judge delivered a $3 million judgement against Pamela Hupp in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the mother of a man she is convicted of killing in 2016..."
"Gumpenberger’s mother, Margaret Burch, filed the wrongful death lawsuit against Hupp in October 2019."
And there's this reassuring bit of info.
"Hupp remains incarcerated at the Chillicothe Correctional Center"

^
posted July 17 in stlnewsmissouri.com
Hupp ordered to pay $3 million to victim's mother - Missouri News July 17

Another MSM article at ksdk.com posted July 17
"Margaret Burch wanted to be sure that Pamela Hupp, the woman who killed her son, could never profit from telling the story of how she murdered him – and, on Friday, she believes a St. Charles County judge granted her wish by awarding her a $3 million wrongful death judgement, according to her attorney,..."
"His mother filed the wrongful death lawsuit against Hupp in October 2019, knowing Hupp didn’t have any money, said Burch’s attorney, Gary Burger.
“That’s why we did this,” Burger said. “We didn’t want her to profit from her murders and crimes.
“You always hear about how years later there is a made-for-TV move and we don’t want her to profit from that, and that’s what Margaret told the judge today.”

^ https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/pam-hupp-ordered-to-pay-3-million-to-victims-grandmother/63-0c471fef-ec73-4188-87cd-4edd1cdfb177

Unsure if this thread is appropriate to post this new news link, but the associated names seem to pop up here..
Feb 8, 2021
Betsy Faria cold case investigation could be wrapped up this year
''Released from prison in 2015 and exonerated in a second trial, Faria won a $2 million-plus settlement from Lincoln County.

He said it’s not enough. He wants justice for Betsy.

“It would finalize and let me know that I did everything I could to get justice for my wife and for the public. I think they deserve it too; to finally get an answer,” Russ said. “There’s a lot of unanswered questions in this case and I think we need to hear them.”

Many of the questions involve Betsy Faria’s friend Pam Hupp, who was the last person reported to see Betsy alive. Hupp also benefitted from Betsy’s $150,000 life insurance policy.''

Renee Zellweger to play Pam Hupp in new true crime series.
Renée Zellweger to star as Pam Hupp in true-crime limited series

Wowzer! Just saw this case on Snapped- what a diabolical biotch- Pamela Hupp is,
but what is far far worse, are the cops and prosecution that put Betsy Faria's
husband behind bars based on no evidence- he had a solid alibi- so he failed a polygraph- we all know that innocent people fcan fail polys quite often and sociopaths
nail them. They relied on the testimony of P. Hupp whose name was on the decedent's insurance policy as the beneficiary- despite lack of evidence he was found guilty and sent to prison. Thank God the verdict was overturned after 3+ years and the judge at this second trial set him free. Then that insane witch murders another person ( a disabled man) to try and pin the murder on Russ Faria. Can you say loony tunes?

What gets me the most though are the cops and prosecutors who took the word of one woman to go after the husband- with no other proof- and to boot she benefited from the death of Betsy Faria---I hope those cops were fired (along with the prosecutor)

I just read that Russ Faria did get a 2 million dollar settlement (well deserved)--

I hate police that get such tunnel vision - but in this case, well, these were the worst police I have ever seen.

Wowzer! Just saw this case on Snapped- what a diabolical biotch- Pamela Hupp is,
but what is far far worse, are the cops and prosecution that put Betsy Faria's
husband behind bars based on no evidence- he had a solid alibi- so he failed a polygraph- we all know that innocent people fcan fail polys quite often and sociopaths
nail them. They relied on the testimony of P. Hupp whose name was on the decedent's insurance policy as the beneficiary- despite lack of evidence he was found guilty and sent to prison. Thank God the verdict was overturned after 3+ years and the judge at this second trial set him free. Then that insane witch murders another person ( a disabled man) to try and pin the murder on Russ Faria. Can you say loony tunes?

What gets me the most though are the cops and prosecutors who took the word of one woman to go after the husband- with no other proof- and to boot she benefited from the death of Betsy Faria---I hope those cops were fired (along with the prosecutor)

I just read that Russ Faria did get a 2 million dollar settlement (well deserved)--

I hate police that get such tunnel vision - but in this case, well, these were the worst police I have ever seen.
The prosecutor was not re-elected because of the handling of this case. If you get a chance watch the Dateline episodes on this case. There is also a podcast called ‘The thing about Pam’. She is quite evil.

The prosecutor was not re-elected because of the handling of this case. If you get a chance watch the Dateline episodes on this case. There is also a podcast called ‘The thing about Pam’. She is quite evil.

Thanks for your response: Glad to hear the prosecutor did not get re-elected because of this case. It is mind numbing to think they brought this case against her husband in the first place- the cops should have lost their jobs as well. Talk about tunnel vision!!!! Pam Hupp is an evil monster--- but hey, look what she got away with? she was their "star witness"--- against the husband!!! This case just bugs me!!!!

The podcast is excellent! It left me wondering if there are other murders she's committed? I swear that woman has ice in her veins.

The podcast is excellent! It left me wondering if there are other murders she's committed? I swear that woman has ice in her veins.
She has been suspected of killing her mother. Betsy’s murder is supposedly being investigated but who knows.

Reactions: kai
Finally! Let's see what comes of this. I have a hard time seeing them not getting a conviction for this murder. The evidence is just overwhelming. And they actually have even more evidence than what we already knew! It's stunning just how badly the original investigation of this case was botched, deliberately so.

This case will always be my go-to example of why we need defense attorneys and shouldn't automatically take the words of the police and prosecutors at face value. This is a lesson that's needed on places like this very forum. We put soooo much power in the hands of the police and the prosecutors and assume they "always get it right," but they don't, and we shouldn't assume as much. A lot of people right here on WebSleuths really need to look into this case and be made aware of just how badly the police and prosecution railroaded poor Russ Faria into prison for no other reason than that they simply wanted him to be the bad guy. Too bad this case has gone so unnoticed and unmentioned here.

At least Russ Faria "only" had to spend a couple of years in prison, rather than a couple of decades, as some other wrongfully convicted men have. It would be nice to see actual criminal charges filed against some of the people who wronged him. Lessons do need to be learned that the police and prosecutors can't just decide they want certain people in prison because of how they look or act, and then fit the evidence to make sure they go there. Again, a lesson WebSleuths really needs to learn.

Pam Hupp walked the same path wrongfully convicted Russ Faria walked 8 years earlier.
‘This has been a long time coming’ – Russ Faria on Pam Hupp’s first court appearance | FOX 2
LINCOLN COUNTY, Mo. – Pam Hupp’s attorneys had asked to waive Hupp’s appearance Tuesday so that she did not have to appear in person. The judge denied them, leading to Hupp’s long walk from the jail to court and back.

Cuffed and shackled, Hupp walked out of the Lincoln County Jail to the Justice Center at about 7:30 a.m.

She remained silent as we asked her if she had anything to say to Betsy Faria’s family. She stands charged with her friend’s 2011 stabbing death. She walked in to face Lincoln County prosecutors who had yet to look her in the eye.

Hupp’s attorneys had already entered her plea of not guilty. Nothing much was expected in court, but victim’s families came out to watch anyway. The courtroom was filled with Betsy’s family and Russ’ family. Russ was wrongfully imprisoned for more than three years for Betsy’s murder, back in 2013.

At the end of Tuesday’s hearing, Pam Hupp made the same walk back to jail that Russ Faria did eight years ago after he was wrongfully convicted.

Russ was unable to make it to Tuesday’s hearing. However, he wrote in a statement to FOX 2, “I would just like to say that this has been a long time coming. I am eagerly awaiting this to go to trial and am doing what I can on my part to assist Mike Wood and his team.”

Russ’ mother, Luci, was with Russ eight years ago for his wrongful conviction. She was also in the courtroom today for Hupp’s appearance. She talked to us outside, surrounded by Russ’s sister, brother, and cousin.

“To me it’s really a happy day, seeing justice finally,” she said. “It took a long time and I commend Mike Wood for his work. And his investigators did a great job.”

Prosecutor Wood stood next to assistant prosecutor Dulany Harms, who Wood brought in just for Hupp’s case. Harms said he’s never seen a criminal case with this much evidence. Wood added that they will not offer Hupp the same plea deal Hupp brokered in St. Charles County. She was convicted in 2019 for Louis Gumpenberger’s murder after taking what’s called an “Alford plea,” – meaning she only admitted prosecutors had enough evidence to convict her. Wood said that won’t be good enough in Betsy Faria’s murder case.

“The state’s prepared to see this one through. I’m confident we’re not going to offer her the opportunity to offer an Alford plea,” Wood said. “If we get to the point in negotiations and discussions regarding pleas, I want it to be a regular plea. I don’t want it to be under the Alford decision.”

We’ll be back in court in about two months as Hupp’s attorneys asked for more time before they hold an evidentiary hearing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back