MO - Louis Gumpenerger, 33, disabled, murdered, OFallon, Aug 2016 *Guilty* and the murder of Betsy Faria

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Leah Chaney, who prosecuted Russ Faria for the murder of his wife, is defending her decisions. This lady is unreal. She should be disbarred.
Russ Faria reacts to prosecutor's statements about him | ksdk.com
Like I've said, we need to be really careful about how much power we allow our police and prosecutors to have. My guess is that somewhere deep in her heart Leah Chaney knows she did Russ Faria wrong, but her pride and her profession will never allow her to admit it, maybe not even to herself. Certainly not to others. She would essentially be admitting to malpractice.

I'll disagree slightly with what the defense attorney said here. It does make sense why police and prosecutors went after Russ Faria so hard: he fit the part of the bad guy, in their eyes. He was a man, a husband, a big, rough-and-tumble sort of dude. He looked, sounded, and acted like how they thought the stereotypical wife-killer should look, sound, and act. I doubt anyone on the initial investigation team ever even thought about looking at anybody else.

It makes one wonder how many other times overzealous police and prosecutors have zeroed in on one person and railroaded that person to prison for no other reason than that they simply wanted him to be there. Something to think about... although, this forum being what it is, I doubt too many people here will contemplate it too much, sadly. The majority opinion here seems to be that police and prosecutors should be allowed to lock up whoever they want, whenever they feel like it, and that defense attorneys do the work of the devil (an odd opinion to have, since in Biblical theology, the devil is actually the one prosecuting the case against us in front of the ultimate judge--in other words, the ultimate bad guy of the entire universe is a prosecutor!).

Pam Hupp case update: One charge dropped | ksdk.com
The video above is from July when Hupp made her first court appearance on charges related to Betsy Faria's death.
New charges were filed against Hupp in early July.

“Any subsequent information or indictment in this case charging Ms. Hupp with the crime of armed criminal action would, by virtue of the state’s failure to timely prosecute and bring the defendant to trial, be rendered null and void, and without force or effect with respect to the charge of armed criminal action,” Hupp’s attorneys wrote of the armed criminal action charge.

Lincoln County Prosecutor Mike Wood said his office originally believed the statute of limitations on the armed criminal action charge – which carries a mandatory jail sentence – would not apply because it was tied to a murder charge.

In a statement, Wood wrote, “It won’t affect our case moving forward, so we’ll not challenge that case law.”

Russ Faria told the I-Team he was "a little disappointed" in the development.

"I wanted her to face the same charges as I did 10 years ago," he said. "But at least she's facing the murder one charge and I think they're just still being very diligent to go after the death penalty.

"And I think she's still going to be punished for the crimes that she's committed."

Russ Faria said he was puzzled by why prosecutors pursued the armed criminal action charge in the first place if the statute of limitations could be a problem.

"They should have probably known that," he said. "Maybe they just threw all the charges they could at her to see that she could be punished to the full extent of the law."

Wood's Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Dulany Harms signed off on the dismissal.

"A statute of limitations defense is what’s called an affirmative defense, so it doesn’t apply until the other side asserts it, so our charge was good, we put it forward because we intended to prosecute Pam Hupp to the fullest extent of the law," he said. "And if we have any viable charge, until the other side makes their defense, that’s what we’re going to do."

Harms said he believes there is an argument to be made that the clock on the statute of limitations shouldn't start ticking in cases in which the defendant purposefully misdirects an investigation.

"The 55 stab wounds are mostly post-mortem, she made it to look like a domestic to get the investigation away from her and wrongdoing like that causes the investigation to go on until somebody could figure out she was one that did it," he said. "There's so much evidence in this case, the Gumpenger murder and there are other things we are looking into, the suspicious death of her mother, it just wasn’t worth trying to make new case law in this case."

Hupp could still receive the death penalty if convicted.

The case has made international headlines due to the nature of the crime and the bizarre details of the investigation. There is a movie in the works and a series of Dateline episodes have followed the case.

Hupp is already serving a life sentence for the 2016 murder of Louis Gumpenberger. She entered an Alford plea in the case in 2019.

Hupp shot and killed Gumpenberger during a staged home invasion and attempted robbery inside her O'Fallon, Missouri, home, claiming she was acting in self-defense. Prosecutors called it a desperate attempt to try and take attention away from her involvement in Faria's case.

Hupp came under suspicion in Faria's death after Besty put a life insurance policy in Hupp's name. Hupp said Betsy Faria wanted Hupp to distribute the life insurance proceeds to the victim’s two daughters and to her mother, I’m In

The Thing About Pam is an American crime drama limited television series detailing the involvement of Pam Hupp in the 2011 murder of Betsy Faria. It stars Renée Zellweger, Josh Duhamel, Judy Greer, Gideon Adlon, Sean Bridgers, Suanne Spoke, Mac Brandt, Katy Mixon, and Glenn Fleshler.

Do we have a thread on this? Can’t find anything

This is getting juicy!

THIS —
Dec. 23, 2022, 10:28 AM EST
By Christine Fillmore
In the ongoing sprawling saga in which Pam Hupp is at the center, another shoe has dropped. Mike Merkel, a former Lincoln County, Missouri sheriff’s investigator who worked on the initial Betsy Faria murder investigation, was charged Tuesday with stalking and harassing a current detective. In 2021, Lincoln County Prosecuting Attorney Mike Wood launched an internal investigation into possible police misconduct during the original case. Detective Randy Lambert was leading the misconduct investigation for the sheriff’s office.

According to the probable cause statement, in March 2022, Randy Lambert received multiple anonymous text messages including photos of him dining at a restaurant and pictures of his patrol car in the parking lot. The message read in part, "I have video of you drinking and getting into your county car. We are watching you closely. you [sic] should stop throwing stones at glass houses or yours will come down first and fast… Here's a couple of pics for starters."

More at link.

Oct 29, 2023

A Missouri prosecutor dropped murder charges against Pamela Hupp and then refiled them in an attempt to bring the trial closer to where it took place.

Hupp was charged with first degree murder in July 2021 for the 2011 death of her friend, Betsy Faria, a cancer patient. Faria’s husband, Russ Faria, was sent to prison for the crime before his conviction was overturned in 2015.

Lincoln County Prosecuting Attorney Mike Wood told the St. Louis Post Dispatch that he wanted the trial to take place closer to witnesses and Faria’s family. The defense filed for a change of venue, and prosecutors initially agreed to move the case to Springfield, about four hours away from Lincoln County. Wood, however, said he reconsidered.

“It was too much to ask of witnesses and Besty Faria’s loved ones,” he said.

Oct 29, 2023

A Missouri prosecutor dropped murder charges against Pamela Hupp and then refiled them in an attempt to bring the trial closer to where it took place.

Hupp was charged with first degree murder in July 2021 for the 2011 death of her friend, Betsy Faria, a cancer patient. Faria’s husband, Russ Faria, was sent to prison for the crime before his conviction was overturned in 2015.

Lincoln County Prosecuting Attorney Mike Wood told the St. Louis Post Dispatch that he wanted the trial to take place closer to witnesses and Faria’s family. The defense filed for a change of venue, and prosecutors initially agreed to move the case to Springfield, about four hours away from Lincoln County. Wood, however, said he reconsidered.

“It was too much to ask of witnesses and Besty Faria’s loved ones,” he said.
Good, when I read the first line, I panicked. Drop the charges, no way. She took whatever time that poor woman had and manipulated the family in such evil ways. She really is a monster, IMO.

This is getting juicy!

THIS —
Dec. 23, 2022, 10:28 AM EST
By Christine Fillmore
In the ongoing sprawling saga in which Pam Hupp is at the center, another shoe has dropped. Mike Merkel, a former Lincoln County, Missouri sheriff’s investigator who worked on the initial Betsy Faria murder investigation, was charged Tuesday with stalking and harassing a current detective. In 2021, Lincoln County Prosecuting Attorney Mike Wood launched an internal investigation into possible police misconduct during the original case. Detective Randy Lambert was leading the misconduct investigation for the sheriff’s office.

According to the probable cause statement, in March 2022, Randy Lambert received multiple anonymous text messages including photos of him dining at a restaurant and pictures of his patrol car in the parking lot. The message read in part, "I have video of you drinking and getting into your county car. We are watching you closely. you [sic] should stop throwing stones at glass houses or yours will come down first and fast… Here's a couple of pics for starters."

More at link.
Good grief. It seems she cannot be stopped of evil doings!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back