Found Deceased MO - Marina Bischoff, 39, Kansas City, 28 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
<snipped by me for emphasis>
I feel like as a society we are always looking for someone to blame for things. But bad things happen and there is not always fault to it. How can we blame law enforcement for not knowing that something bad would happen to her when she walked away? I just can't imagine a normal where the police arrest someone for something, release them, and then drive them home to make sure they get there safely. That would be a full time job in itself.

"To protect and Serve."
JMO
BBM

@10ofRods do you have any insight as to why they would say the remains are degraded beyond the ability for DNA? I've not heard of this before. Your opinion please? when you have a chance?

Well, I've spent the summer looking at the careful extraction of DNA from 13,000 year old bones. So. Did they even think to look inside the teeth for DNA? Because that's where really old DNA is often found. At first, we were happy (back in the early 2000's) just to get mitochondrial DNA from teeth that old, but now we are getting Y chromosome and other data (meaning anthropologists/geneticists in general).

There are also ways of getting images of DNA out of bones, but truthfully - unless the teeth were pulverized and thrown into some liquid, the DNA was in those teeth - forget dental impressions, just go for an extraction of the dried/dead cells inside the tooth.

Source: Brian Sykes (Oxford).

Well, I've spent the summer looking at the careful extraction of DNA from 13,000 year old bones. So. Did they even think to look inside the teeth for DNA? Because that's where really old DNA is often found. At first, we were happy (back in the early 2000's) just to get mitochondrial DNA from teeth that old, but now we are getting Y chromosome and other data (meaning anthropologists/geneticists in general).

There are also ways of getting images of DNA out of bones, but truthfully - unless the teeth were pulverized and thrown into some liquid, the DNA was in those teeth - forget dental impressions, just go for an extraction of the dried/dead cells inside the tooth.

Thank you very much - this one is bothering me
Jmo

THEORETICALLY (*cough* via FB *cough*) they may have only discovered partial remains from about the waist down. Moo and such.

THEORETICALLY (*cough* via FB *cough*) they may have only discovered partial remains from about the waist down. Moo and such.

Yes, I read a quote from the family saying that they didn't have anything to check against dental records. I don't even like saying that.

I wondered if they would be able to extract DNA from bone marrow, but maybe that's why it's expected to take so long? I have no idea.

Or they're just not telling the family everything. I think it's pretty common not to share all the details in an ongoing investigation. But the way he said check the IP address made me think it might be a VOIP system. I'm not sure how phone records are kept with a system like that. I mean, if all they have is an IP address it might not be as simple as calling someone back.

Maybe I'm naive, but I really don't think the police are being shady. I don't know what they would gain from it. She's an adult. She walked away on her own. She was sighted after she left the police station. There's been no public suspicion of foul play. I don't think it is as high priority as we would like it to be. It's definitely not getting the same attention that a missing child would. But there doesn't seem to be much to go on. And if they have a high suspicion that the remains found nearby are hers (more so than they have publicly said, I mean) then it doesn't seem that there would be much movement until the remains are identified.

I feel like as a society we are always looking for someone to blame for things. But bad things happen and there is not always fault to it. How can we blame law enforcement for not knowing that something bad would happen to her when she walked away? I just can't imagine a normal where the police arrest someone for something, release them, and then drive them home to make sure they get there safely. That would be a full time job in itself.
Fair enough, they can't make sure everyone they arrest gets home safely, you are right about that. I wish I didn't sound so bitter.

Fair enough, they can't make sure everyone they arrest gets home safely, you are right about that. I wish I didn't sound so bitter.

I thought your post wasn't that bitter. Its not that the Police is solely to blame but her being in the vicinity of the Police Station for 90 minutes is quite some time. After 45 min. or an hour of them seeing her waiting outside and going back and forth. You would at least expect an officer checking in on her. You know to make sure she is going at least somewhere.

LE said she made multiple phone calls, so either someone promised her to be picked up or nobody could be reached and she didn't know what to do next.

- Police said video shows, and numerous police officers saw, that she stayed on Pleasant Valley Road between Searcy Creek Parkway and North Crystal Avenue until about 8:30 a.m. It appeared she was waiting for a ride. -

An officer checking in on her would at least yielded more information about what her plans were. Was she expected to be picked up, was she indeed going home or staying at a friend or colleague's house? She was deemed as not being impaired, but something caused her to be indecisive and after that she disappeared...

I recall a very similar case in CA about an apparently disoriented woman being arrested at a restaurant and being released the next day without any money, etc. She later turned up dead nearby. As a society, we still have a very long way to go in recognizing possible mental health issues.

I know I am very likely in the minority here, but I think she is either in rehab (and was a drinker or drug user without anyone knowing), or has disappeared on her own in some other way.

<modsnip>
It has been stated that
When the cops searched her house, they found no evidence of any drugs, alcohol, etc.
(I hope I did that correctly) From what I recall, Marina’s supervisor at work became immediately concerned when she failed to report to work because it was out of character for her. I believe it was in the podcast that her brother, Victor mentioned it being about 1.5 hrs after her shift was scheduled to start that he was contacted by her supervisor. In my experience (several years in business management/leadership roles, close personal relationships with addicts and alcoholics & affiliation with recovery programs), there are signs; stellar work attendance is rare and having no evidence of anything in the home of someone who drinks or uses illegal drugs, even more so.

Were it the case, that would mean Marina is alive and chose self care, which offers hope. In that regard, I can see how one would consider this a possible scenario.

Regardless of where she is, I hope that Marina is reunited with her family soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Who saw her at 7:30 a.m.? Also it says it was dark when she walked out of the Police Station and it's light here in KCMO at 7:00 a.m. Do they mean 7:00 pm.?
Just found more information. She had been in a car crash. doesn't say when but maybe right before the Police picked her up, it's vague. Also when the Police released her, she called three different people to come and pick her up but ended up leaving before they arrived. She was disoriented at the Police Station and in the parking lot, seems it was very obvious. Marina suffers from depression and had been having some down days, her brother said because of her fears of getting covid. She's now been missing 10 days.
Relatives looking for social worker who left police station, disappeared

someone who is afraid of getting Covid as a result of their work on the front lines as a social worker has all my respect and compassion. This sounds like a very sensible girl who had a disorienting accident. Very worried for her. Red flags in my mind everywhere. :(

In all that I have read and heard (here, posts on social media by her family/friends and The Vanished Podcast), there has been no evidence or indications of drug or alcohol abuse, dependency or even regular use.

SBM
Well, except she told the cops that she drank two bottles of wine on the night of the car crash (per Vanished podcast).

At this point if the family wants to get more information from the police they need to hire an attorney, IMO.
It appears that the family has been given the runaround from the start.
MOO

I listened to the Vanished podcast episode on this case a week or two ago and it has been on my mind since. It is such a strange case, but also seems like it would have such a clear solution. Given Marina's high anxiety and general personality, it is quite clear that she would not simply get up and leave if she was in her right mind. It does sound like she was absolutely experiencing a psychotic break- probably brought on by the high stress and anxiety. Is there a way we can get ahold of the video footage from her in the parking lot at the police station?? If they are denying any foul play then they can't argue against releasing it with an FOIA request...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiw1234
Back