Found Deceased MO - Marina Bischoff, 39, Kansas City, 28 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is an issue I personally go back and forth on. I hope this is okay to post here, if not I'm sure it will be deleted. People have autonomy - they get to make their own decisions even if they are bad ones. There are very specific criteria that let the police or a hospital detain someone against their will. Danger to oneself or others. I've seen a lot of anger toward the police in this story. And I understand it. It's possible this whole thing could have been prevented if someone had just done something different. But at the same time, what grounds would they have had to keep her at the police station or take her to the hospital against her will? Then we would be talking about unlawful detainment. I'm sure, that as a social worker Marina would know how to answer the screening questions that would prevent them from holding her there if she didn't want to be held. It's a terrible situation, and I so hope it has a good outcome. I just think that adults have the right to make their own choices, even when they are bad ones.

I strongly agree that competent adults have the right to make their own decisions, even bad decisions.
IMO, the issue was if Marina was capable of making decisions in her confused and disoriented state.
Marina, reportedly, was in an accident and left the scene but later returned.
She was confused and it is unclear if she was actually tested for alcohol.
Someone who is confused after an accident should be assessed by medical personnel and receive a CT, the person should be monitored for, at least, 24 hours.
A slow brain bleed could ultimately result in death.

I strongly agree that competent adults have the right to make their own decisions, even bad decisions.
IMO, the issue was if Marina was capable of making decisions in her confused and disoriented state.
Someone who is confused after an accident should be assessed by medical personnel and receive a CT, the person should be monitored for, at least, 24 hours.
This article says she was arrested for DUI. They would have tested her for alcohol for such charges. I agree with the health assessments - head injuries can be so insidious
Woman arrested and released goes missing from police station | KMZU The Farm 100.7 FM

As search for missing Kansas City woman continues, family hires private investigator
P.I. John Underhill is planning an extensive search for the missing 39-year-old beginning at 11 a.m. Wednesday.

He, Kansas City police and community volunteers will meet in the area between the Shoal Creek Patrol Division and the Police Training Academy, which is located at 6885 N.E. Pleasant Valley Road.

As search for missing Kansas City woman continues, family hires private investigator

In this article they say they found her keys and cell phone. Seems those items would have been lost before she went to jail. Also the description of where the wreck happened sounded to be right in her own front yard. Sounds like she left jail with no phone or house keys and also sounds like Marina was not in her right mind. Probably drinking along with anti depression medicine. This really does sound like someone picked her up and foul play happened or someone has abducted her. She may have been walking on the highway and someone picked her up and took her out of the City, this is very frightening and also sad. Doubt this is going to be a happy ending, KCMO is not the place for a woman to be out walking alone much less in a disoriented state. This is yet another policy Police need to take a look at and change. Don't let a disoriented woman leave the police Station without knowing if she will be safe. I know Police sometimes treat people who have been drinking or using drugs in a different manner then someone who is sober. Police Officers sometimes form attitudes and don't do the job they were hired to do. This woman should have never left that Station in the shape she was in, they say video shows she was disoriented.

Here in Kansas City they do just kick people out of jail anytime time of night or day, or weather. People are not allowed even to make a call when leaving, they have to fend for themselves almost all of the time with a dead cell phone and no money. She would have had to walk somewhere else to get help.
Terribly dangerous, especially for women! I could see a predator staking out a place like this looking for prey.

This is an issue I personally go back and forth on. I hope this is okay to post here, if not I'm sure it will be deleted. People have autonomy - they get to make their own decisions even if they are bad ones. There are very specific criteria that let the police or a hospital detain someone against their will. Danger to oneself or others. I've seen a lot of anger toward the police in this story. And I understand it. It's possible this whole thing could have been prevented if someone had just done something different. But at the same time, what grounds would they have had to keep her at the police station or take her to the hospital against her will? Then we would be talking about unlawful detainment. I'm sure, that as a social worker Marina would know how to answer the screening questions that would prevent them from holding her there if she didn't want to be held. It's a terrible situation, and I so hope it has a good outcome. I just think that adults have the right to make their own choices, even when they are bad ones.
And many can't afford a trip to the ER!

And many can't afford a trip to the ER!

You're correct, when LE calls an ambulance for you, you pay the cost. Hopefully she had insurance, I'm sure she did with her working for Children's Mercy Hospital. They asked her if she wanted to go to the hospital at the scene of her accident and she said no and they say she said she had been drinking but whether she was acting disoriented at that time is in question. It's being said security video showed her acting disoriented while at the jail after being released. I would have to know more to know if Police are guilty of handling this wrong and I'm certain her family will look into this. In a recent media report it says several police officers saw her waiting outside until 8:30 p.m. and it looked like she was waiting for a ride. They are checking into who all she contacted while at the jail. They also gave the Church she belongs to so possibly she contacted someone from her church for a ride. Information is coming out in bits and pieces.

MISSING: KCPD continues search for missing 39-year-old woman last seen leaving police station

Last edited:
MISSING: KCPD continues search for missing 39-year-old woman last seen leaving police station

"Police said she was released on a signature bond – per COVID-19 protocols – around 7 a.m. on May 28. Police said she was deemed competent to be released and she left the station with everything she arrived with.

Authorities said Bischoff made multiple phone calls while in detention. She did not appear impaired when she left the station.

Police said video shows, and numerous police officers saw, that she stayed on Pleasant Valley Road between Searcy Creek Parkway and North Crystal Avenue until about 8:30 a.m. It appeared she was waiting for a ride."

According to police, Marina Bischoff, 39, was seen walking away from the Kansas City Police Department’s Shoal Creek Patrol Division, 6801 N.E. Pleasant Valley Road, around 7 a.m. on May 28.

Police said Bischoff had been arrested the night before on suspicion of driving while impaired and leaving the scene of a crash.

While in detention, Bischoff made multiple phone calls, police said. She was released on a signature bond, “per COVID-19 protocols to reduce detention populations of non-violent offenders,” police earlier stated. They added that Bischoff did not appear to be impaired when she left the station.
Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article243500706.html#storylink=cpy

“It just seemed like something else was wrong,” Yolanda Armendariz, whose yard Bischoff’s car ended up in, said.

Armendariz says it appeared to be more than just a crash.
“There were tire marks that probably went through like three yards here,” Armendariz said.

Before getting back in her car to then be stopped by police across the street, Armendariz spoke with Bishoff face to face. She says the social worker appeared disoriented.

“She said she was trying to get home and that she was lost,” Armendariz said.

Armendariz feels she was already disoriented before the social worker drove into her yard.

“Like something more than a couple bottles of wine. Where did you do that? (as if talking to Bishoff) Did you do that at someone’s house, here in the neighborhood? Because you surely didn’t drive from your house to here that way,” Armendariz said.

Bishoff’s co-worker Becca Eck was at the second organized search on Wednesday and says she’s known to be quiet and an introvert.

“The sweetest most soft-spoken person. She’s always super helpful, and really deeply cares about and is compassionate to her patients,” Eck said.
Groups gather to search for missing Children’s Mercy social worker who has been missing for 3 weeks

KANSAS CITY, MO (AP) — Authorities are looking for a woman who was last seen leaving a Kansas City police station more than two weeks ago.

Police said 39-year-old Marina Bischoff hasn't been seen since the morning of May 28. Police said Bischoff had been arrested the night before on suspicion of driving while impaired and leaving the scene of a crash.
Authorities still seeking woman who was last seen at Kansas City police station

"suspicion of driving while impaired"
I'm still unclear about this.
Does this mean that they did not test her for alcohol?
Previous reports state that Marina told police she had been drinking. Would she be arrested just on her own report of drinking?
IMO, something happened that Wednesday between the time she left work and when she ended up driving through yards in a neighborhood that was not her own at 10pm.
MOO.

KANSAS CITY, MO (AP) — Authorities are looking for a woman who was last seen leaving a Kansas City police station more than two weeks ago.

Police said 39-year-old Marina Bischoff hasn't been seen since the morning of May 28. Police said Bischoff had been arrested the night before on suspicion of driving while impaired and leaving the scene of a crash.
Authorities still seeking woman who was last seen at Kansas City police station

"suspicion of driving while impaired"
I'm still unclear about this.
Does this mean that they did not test her for alcohol?
Previous reports state that Marina told police she had been drinking. Would she be arrested just on her own report of drinking?
IMO, something happened that Wednesday between the time she left work and when she ended up driving through yards in a neighborhood that was not her own at 10pm.
MOO.
She was arrested for DUI, NOT suspicion of DUI, which means she had a BAC done . Here's more info on her arrest and release. Hoping she is found safely and soon. MISSING: KCPD continues search for missing 39-year-old woman last seen leaving police station

Edit: I apologize, I meant to respond to the person you had quoted, not you. I’m sorry! I fully agree with your statement :)

I am a social worker myself, and, yes, while she *may* know how to answer correctly to avoid hospitalization, if she was As disoriented as it has been stated, I don’t think she would have been able to. I do think the police should have called medical professionals to assess her, and in many cases if there is any incidence of possible head trauma, it is usually required. Otherwise, isn’t there usually also a medical professional of some sort at the jail who assesses all who are booked in? Does anyone know if this happened?

Lastly, she could have been checked into a psychiatric hospital on a mandatory 72 hour hold for psychiatric evaluation if the above two failed to happen.

If she was as disoriented as stated, I don’t know why at least one of these three options didn’t occur, and do think this was handled improperly by the police.

It says age struggles with depression and was under high stress. I’m curious to know if she had been prescribed any medications for the depression? If so, was it a new prescription, was she taking it as prescribed and being monitored regularly? Psychotropic meds can have extreme effects.

In any case, whether she was taking meds or not, high stress alone, but especially mixed with a psychological diagnosis—in her case depression—creates the potential for a perfect storm. Throw in some alcohol, and you’ve got yourself Hurricane Katrina. She could be disoriented for days to weeks from this, and, in my opinion as a social worker, she should have never been released on her own with no belongings.

Last edited:

I am a social worker myself, and, yes, while she *may* know how to answer correctly to avoid hospitalization, if she was As disoriented as it has been stated, I don’t think she would have been able to. I do think the police should have called medical professionals to assess her, and in many cases if there is any incidence of possible head trauma, it is usually required. Otherwise, isn’t there usually also a medical professional of some sort at the jail who assesses all who are booked in? Does anyone know if this happened?

Lastly, she could have been checked into a psychiatric hospital on a mandatory 72 hour hold for psychiatric evaluation if the above two failed to happen.

If she was as disoriented as stated, I don’t know why at least one of these three options didn’t occur, and do think this was handled improperly by the police.

It says age struggles with depression and was under high stress. I’m curious to know if she had been prescribed any medications for the depression? If so, was it a new prescription, was she taking it as prescribed and being monitored regularly? Psychotropic meds can have extreme effects.

In any case, whether she was taking meds or not, high stress alone, but especially mixed with a psychological diagnosis—in her case depression—creates the potential for a perfect storm. Throw in some alcohol, and you’ve got yourself Hurricane Katrina. She could be disoriented for days to weeks from this, and, in my opinion as a social worker, she should have never been released on her own with no belongings.

KC woman left police station with no keys, phone or wallet. She hasn’t been seen since

Victor Bischoff begins each morning by calling his mother with updates from Kansas City police. The conversations have been much the same recently:

They still haven’t found his sister.

Marina Bischoff, 39, left the Kansas City Police Department’s Shoal Creek Patrol Division about 7 a.m. May 28. She was last seen about an hour and a half later, still nearby the police station, on Pleasant Valley Road between Searcy Creek Parkway and North Crystal Avenue.

It seemed as if she was waiting for a ride, police said. Bischoff hasn’t been seen since.

Her brother, Victor, 43, made a trip to Kansas City to help search for her in the days following her disappearance. But now he helps over the phone from his Austin, Texas, home.

He is concerned that his sister was allowed to leave the police station without law enforcement verifying she had a way to get home. She didn’t have her phone, keys or wallet when she stepped out of the station and into the rain.

[Her cellphone and car keys] were found late last week in some woods. Bischoff said it sounds like his sister might’ve thrown them. He can’t make heads or tails as to why.

All of this is “completely uncharacteristic” of her, he said before adding, “something must have thrown her off.”

There are gaping holes in the story, Archer said. It all seems so bizarre.

Bischoff never drank, she said.

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/article243606127.html#storylink=cpy

She was on her way to where when she walked out the police station? Home or work?

She was seen walking in the direction of the 435. To be more specific it's an overpass. Where were her belongings exactly found?
After that NE Pleasant Valley Rd continues through until it hits the 35, the Missouri Department of Social Services is not far from there on.

Is it absolutely sure she tried to catch a ride?

She was on her way to where when she walked out the police station? Home or work?

She was seen walking in the direction of the 435. To be more specific it's an overpass. Where were her belongings exactly found?
After that NE Pleasant Valley Rd continues through until it hits the 35, the Missouri Department of Social Services is not far from there on.

Is it absolutely sure she tried to catch a ride?

I think there are very few things that are absolute facts here. My understanding is that her phone and keys were found in the woods near where she originally crashed in someone's yard. The reporting has been that after she crashed and before the police came she walked into the woods and threw them. She then came back after the police arrived. That's why they said she had left the scene of an accident. She was then taken in for a DUI. She was held at the station for several hours where it was reported that she made "several" phone calls and did speak to multiple people. But there are no records of who she called. Then she was seen (I'm a little fuzzy on the exact time) up to 1 1/2 hours later still near the police station in the rain, "as if she was waiting for a ride." Then nothing. She just vanished.

To me that's why this is so frustrating. There's just nothing to go on. No significant other, no local family, no enemies, no sightings of anyone suspicious. No one has come forward to say that they spoke with her that morning. I keep reading that she was depressed. But no real indication that she was suicidal. And if she was, wouldn't we have found her by now? Where would she go? What would she do? And another frustrating thing - I feel like it's not getting much attention at all. Look at cases like Suzanne Morphew, Maddie Bell, Tylee Ryan and JJ Vallow, Gannon Stauch. It felt like the whole world was looking for them, and this is like a tiny blip. There are people out there looking and pulling for Marina. But overall it's not getting much attention at all.

WHY cant they determine who she called? That sounds like a lie to me. Aren't all phone calls in jail monitored?
Excellent point! In my state (Illinois) all offender telephone calls are subject to monitoring and recording at any time by Departmental staff, unless prior special arrangements have been made to make or receive an unmonitored attorney call. All requests for unmonitored attorney calls must be processed by a member of the Illinois Department of Corrections legal staff.

Excellent point! In my state (Illinois) all offender telephone calls are subject to monitoring and recording at any time by Departmental staff, unless prior special arrangements have been made to make or receive an unmonitored attorney call. All requests for unmonitored attorney calls must be processed by a member of the Illinois Department of Corrections legal staff.

Here is my question about that - if someone is not in jail - if they're just at the police station and making a phone call, would the calls still be subject to being monitored and recorded? It seems like they are not. My understanding, correct or not, I'm not sure - but my understanding is that she was released and then they let her use the phone. So maybe at that point they aren't recorded. But I still think it's weird that they can't pull up their own phone records and get a number.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back