MO MO - Melissa Peskey, 40, shot and killed, Boonville, 13 Dec 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
One thing that is very important is that since Melissa was on the phone at the time of the shooting law enforcement has been able to tightly constrain the time the incident occurred.

and possibly describe the swerving car to her friend?

But, in the midwinter darkness at highway speed, maybe not.

(Something we here might do!)

Glad to know that is activity on this case.

and possibly describe the swerving car to her friend?

But, in the midwinter darkness at highway speed, maybe not.

(Something we here might do!)

Glad to know that is activity on this case.
Certainly. There should be valuable information available to investigators if Melissa talked about it to her sister. If she had seen the vehicle before or how long she had seen this vehicle. She mentioned the semi in the ditch which I find interesting. I presume it is coincidental that there was a semi in a ditch since we have heard nothing of another incident on the same road on the same night. But then why bring that up?

The two to three minute time frame puts her no more than 2 to 3.5 miles before she was shot.

Certainly. There should be valuable information available to investigators if Melissa talked about it to her sister. If she had seen the vehicle before or how long she had seen this vehicle. She mentioned the semi in the ditch which I find interesting. I presume it is coincidental that there was a semi in a ditch since we have heard nothing of another incident on the same road on the same night. But then why bring that up?

The two to three minute time frame puts her no more than 2 to 3.5 miles before she was shot.

BBM, and I am saying this seriously & with respect -- Mythbusters tested driving a car out of a moving semi & had no trouble after practicing.

IDK if anyone other than movie industry special effects people know how to do this....

BBM, and I am saying this seriously & with respect -- Mythbusters tested driving a car out of a moving semi & had no trouble after practicing.

IDK if anyone other than movie industry special effects people know how to do this....
So, I thought it was interesting about a semi in the ditch. I was wondering if I had overlooked this fact. Do you think there is a connection? Could it have been parked there to distract her?

I felt sad for Kara hearing her sister's final moments. I wonder if they realized what happened or thought her phone went dead. It should at least terrify the shooter knowing that Melissa was on the phone at the time. I am sure they wonder what Melissa told Kara.

Missouri Highway Patrol did NOT work any semi accident in this area that night

Missouri State Highway Patrol - Crash Reports
Based on the search there also wasn't any report before December 13th in Cooper County that would account for a semi in a ditch (not yet removed). Nor in any of the other counties west along I-70. It could have been a broken down that was off the road rather than crash related.

It is a curious mention because if it were in the same time frame as Melissa driving by it could mean there is some potential witness to activity on the road (subject to a number of factors, such as paying attention). At a minimum, law enforcement can use any references to tighten the time frame of when the shooting occurred.

She mentioned that it was raining. I wonder if the semi had jackknifed from the rain and was not disabled and was able to drive away. If he was stuck, did he call a wrecker to get him out without having to utilize the police?

It is possible she was not ON the interstate when she saw the car carrier (having just stopped at an exit) and thus State Police would not be the investigating agency, but was back on it minutes later at the time she was shot?

As in, made a pit stop / pulled over to stretch?

I've never moved from my position that she was the target - and only she. And believe me "I told you so" is not the least bit satisfying in this situation.

Here the local case I previously referenced: https://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/07140901wgs.pdf

WOW!!!! What are the chances Peskey was familiar with this story?!? I’m floored. And the crazy little car game this guy from Indiana says they were playing? And he told his kids he was being followed by the police?! If I told my 16 year old son I thought I was being followed by the police & asked him & his friends to switch up & drive cars around, he’d tell me no way and call my dad, or he might even just call the police! I CANNOT comprehend how some of these things happen or how these people are thinking!

Even more wow...my mom is from Indianapolis, I was born & spent my childhood there. My dad & all of his family are from Boonville, MO. We live outside KCMO now & drive these roads when visiting family in Boonville & back home in Indiana! I can’t believe this is the first I am hearing of either of these. Especially Boonville!!

At any rate, these two stories are just too coincidental! Great post, thanks for sharing. I certainly hope they are able to figure the Peskey case out!!

It is possible she was not ON the interstate when she saw the car carrier (having just stopped at an exit) and thus State Police would not be the investigating agency, but was back on it minutes later at the time she was shot?

As in, made a pit stop / pulled over to stretch?

Also, an accident could have been worked by the sheriff's department of the appropriate county. Without checking a map, Melissa could have been in Boone, Cooper, or Howard County at the time?

I wonder if the semi in the ditch caused traffic to slow down for a bit?

Seems quite a coincidence for her to be shot in close proximity to a semi being in the ditch.

Does it mean I've read here too long if I want to know why the semi was in the ditch, like, did it maybe have a tire shot out?

I wonder if the semi in the ditch caused traffic to slow down for a bit?

Seems quite a coincidence for her to be shot in close proximity to a semi being in the ditch.

Does it mean I've read here too long if I want to know why the semi was in the ditch, like, did it maybe have a tire shot out?

Yeah, maybe.

Well, I'm the one pondering driving a car off a car carrier, then back onto said car carrier....

JMHO YMMV

This is from a local station KELO....Angela Kennecke interviewed some of Melissa's family.

"Her sisters Kara and Jessica had heart-to-heart conversations with her before she left Sioux Falls on December 13.

"The last conversation we had, it was very intense. And it really gave me reason; I was scared for her. It really made me think and then when this happened, it really made me think," Jessica Renken said.

Melissa's mom Ellen, and sister, Kara, both helped Melissa pack up herself and her two children.

"I knew she was going someplace. She said, 'I don't want to tell you, but I'm going to a good place,'" Ellen Renken said.

Peskey was heading to South Carolina. But her family says it was not for a vacation; that she was leaving her husband Ryan.

Angela Kennecke: Were you worried about her?
Ellen Renken: I was; she really had... she acted like she was scared; nervous, high anxiety. She just didn't act normal.

The Renken women are careful to point out that they are not accusing Melissa's husband, Ryan Peskey, of killing her.

However, Ryan Peskey is not facing any charges. Melissa's sisters and mother say they just knew the marriage was troubled.

"The better memory is laughing and hugging when she left. We laughed, we hugged. I probably out of all of us got the better goodbye," Kara Renken said.

Angela Kennecke: The kids are not a clue, they're not a help to investigators.
Jessica Renken: No, not really. I wouldn't think so. If anything it was noises they heard from the accident.

Angeka Kennecke: But they've interviewed all the family members?
Ellen Renken: No, no, nuh-uh; I haven't talked to one at all. They have never, never.

Kara says she is the only one from Melissa's family who has spoken to them."

More at:
No answers for the family of Melissa Peskey

Seems very strange that they have not interviewed the mother. She had gone across country to help Melissa pack to leave the husband. It would seem that they would want the insight as to Melissa's state of mind and the things that she had told them that made them so concerned.

True, but none of that would be relevant if it really is a random Missouri crime.

But -- she said she was scared & was known to be fleeing what she perceived as a dangerous situation.

How did she receive a rather random bullet during this escape?

Granted, a random shooter was likely unaware of the kids in the car while a likely POI knew the children were there.

Head-scratcher, for certain.

RIP, Melissa, best wishes & Happy Easter to your children!

But -- she said she was scared & was known to be fleeing what she perceived as a dangerous situation.

How did she receive a rather random bullet during this escape?

Granted, a random shooter was likely unaware of the kids in the car while a likely POI knew the children were there.

Head-scratcher, for certain.

RIP, Melissa, best wishes & Happy Easter to your children!

Yeah, it would be a really bizarre and sad coincidence, wouldn't it? But if there really was a random person(s) driving erratically and shooting at drivers, the victim could have been anybody on the road.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MimiJules
Back