GUILTY MO - Mengqi Elledge, 28, found deceased, Columbia, 9 Oct 2019 *husband arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I use to live near Columbia. Mengqi's case is so heartbreaking. :( Have there been further updates? I was searching NAMUS and noticed her profile is on there. I'm so glad they aren't just letting this go cold.

I don't believe there have been updates lately but thankfully this does seem like a case LE is working as much as they can. They seem to really want to find her (and seek justice). IMO.

I really hope they have enough evidence for a trial even without her body. So sad they've worked tirelessly but their searches haven't been fruitful, they've been trying so hard! a huge testament to the care and determination of their LE

A stalled search: One year later, Columbia mother Mengqi Ji remains missing

One year after her disappearance, the attorney for Ji's family, Amy Salladay, sent a statement on the family's behalf about the search and investigation.

"We are appreciative of the efforts made by the Columbia Police Department over the past year but we are disappointed that search efforts have stalled and that the investigation does not seem to be moving forward by collaborating with other law enforcement agencies who could help. This is not a missing persons case but the murder of our only child who herself was also a mother. We will never give up looking for Mengqi. We continue to hope for answers so that she can have a proper burial and we can have a funeral. We are thankful for the hard work and compassion shown by Boone County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Knight and his office in handling this matter. "

Search for missing Chinese woman in Missouri resumes year after disappearance

Missouri police this week resumed their search.

Though no evidence of her remains had been found during construction nor the ensuing search, Assistant Police Chief Jeremiah Hunter said that body of water “has been monitored since the conclusion of the search.”

“Recently we’ve found the water at the Lamine River has substantially decreased,” said Hunter. “With the water level down, we discovered part of the levee we constructed was still present.”

Although those portions of the levee will be removed by City Utilities, allowing CPD’s Criminal Investigation’s Division to search for evidence of Elledge, the release notes the searchers may still come up empty-handed.

Mengqi Ji Elledge – The Charley Project

Mengqi Ji Elledge
  • elledge_mengqi.jpg
  • elledge_mengqi2.jpg
  • elledge_mengqi3.jpg

NOV 30, 2020
Columbia police complete search for remains of missing mom in debris from Lamine River - ABC17NEWS
The Columbia Police Department has finished its search for the remains of missing Columbia mother Mengqi Ji.

[...]

Police spent months searching the Lamine River with local and state partners.

[...]

When they pulled the levee out of the water, crews took around 25 truck loads of debris to an undisclosed location and searched through it.

[...]

Crews laid the truck loads of debris out in rows and let it dry. Police then used human remain detective K9's to search the debris.

Detectives then searched by hand, with a sifting table, and heavy equipment.

[...]

"Literally you have to go through all 25 loads on hands and knees and feel your way through it," he said.

Police did not find anything in their search, meaning Elledge could go to court without any DNA evidence of Ji's death.

Criminal Attorney Mike Hamilton said without a body or any remains it could be much more difficult to convince a jury of murder.

"If they found anything just to show that she was in that river, that would bolster what their theory is which is that she was killed and brought there and dumped," Hamilton said. "Without a body it's purely circumstantial and a jury may not buy it."

[...]

He said it is still possible a jury could find Elledge guilty.

"It depends on how much the judge lets in. I mean, opinion evidence, 'Oh she'd never go.' I mean, is that going to be admissible. Well the prosecutor's going to have to do that to present their theory, or what I think their theory in the case is," he said.

Hamilton said if there is a conviction it could be overturned based on the lack of a body and individual rulings around the pieces of evidence in the case.

[...]

He said the search through the debris is one of the things that either side could try to bring in or block.

A trial in the murder case has not been scheduled yet.

Authorities end search in river for missing Columbia woman

Authorities in central Missouri are finished searching a section of river for the remains of a Chinese woman who's been missing for more than a year.

Columbia police say they found no evidence related to Mengqi Ji during a search of part of the Lamine River outside Boonville.

I'm saddened that the search came up empty, but hopeful there will be justice for Mengqi and her loved ones. My feeling is his Mom knew what happened and was trying to help him escape. I can only imagine how awful life was for Mengqi with a husband and in-laws like that :(

Human remains found near Rock Bridge State Park

COLUMBIA — Columbia Police have scheduled a press conference for Thursday evening in which they will provide new evidence that could pertain to the 2019 disappearance of Mengqi Ji, whose husband is awaiting trial in the Boone County Jail for her murder.

It was scheduled shortly after human remains were found at Rock Bridge State Park south of Columbia.

Human remains found at Rock Bridge State Park, CPD to hold press conference

A Columbia Police officer at the scene said a hiker found the remains shortly after noon on Thursday.

KOMU 8 will stream the conference on KOMU.com, KOMU 8 News app, KOMU 8 Facebook and KOMU 8 Streaming apps on Roku, Apple TV, Android TV and Amazon Fire.

CPD to host press conference March 25 at 7 p.m. regarding new evidence that could possibly confirm the disappearance of Mengqi Ji

CPD to host press conference March 25 at 7 p.m. regarding new evidence that could possibly confirm the disappearance of Mengqi Ji
(COLUMBIA, MO) -
Columbia Mayor Brian Treece, Columbia Police Chief Geoff Jones and Columbia Police Assistant Chief Jeremiah Hunter will speak at a press conference Thursday, March 25, at 7 p.m. to provide new information to the media and community regarding new evidence that could pertain to the 2019 disappearance of Mengqi Ji.

The press conference will be held in the Council Chambers at City Hall, 701 E. Broadway. Members of the media are invited to attend. Social distancing measures will be in place.

The briefing will be livestreamed athttp://gocolumbiamo.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?publish_id=372f1997-b55a-4582-b556-001a03a1f90a and live broadcast on Spectrum 992, Mediacom 80 and CenturyLink 96.

Last edited:
Human remains found near Rock Bridge State Park

COLUMBIA — Columbia Police have scheduled a press conference for Thursday evening in which they will provide new evidence that could pertain to the 2019 disappearance of Mengqi Ji, whose husband is awaiting trial in the Boone County Jail for her murder.

It was scheduled shortly after human remains were found at Rock Bridge State Park south of Columbia.

Human remains found at Rock Bridge State Park, CPD to hold press conference

A Columbia Police officer at the scene said a hiker found the remains shortly after noon on Thursday.

KOMU 8 will stream the conference on KOMU.com, KOMU 8 News app, KOMU 8 Facebook and KOMU 8 Streaming apps on Roku, Apple TV, Android TV and Amazon Fire.

(COLUMBIA, MO) -
Columbia Mayor Brian Treece, Columbia Police Chief Geoff Jones and Columbia Police Assistant Chief Jeremiah Hunter will speak at a press conference Thursday, March 25, at 7 p.m. to provide new information to the media and community regarding new evidence that could pertain to the 2019 disappearance of Mengqi Ji.

The press conference will be held in the Council Chambers at City Hall, 701 E. Broadway. Members of the media are invited to attend. Social distancing measures will be in place.

The briefing will be livestreamed athttp://gocolumbiamo.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?publish_id=372f1997-b55a-4582-b556-001a03a1f90a and live broadcast on Spectrum 992, Mediacom 80 and CenturyLink 96.

I just came to post this. Thank you for getting to it!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back