MO - Police officer fatally shoots Vonderrick Myers in south St. Louis #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rain is in the forecast for St Louis today, possibly severe at times. I pray it will deter the protester's today and tonight. imo

So anything big or more of the same the last couple of days? I've been away and either local news has been scant or I've just missed it. Seems I did hear a blurb that maybe a dozen arrested Saturday night? Wasn't at the games, but watching the games on TV, one would never know any protesters were present.

Facts are trollish.

What's that legal saying? I think it was Dershowitz who said, "If the facts are on your side, pound the facts into the table. If the law is on your side, pound the law into the table. If neither the facts nor the law are on your side, pound the table."

That needs revising. The new version should be:

If the facts are on your side, pound the facts into the table. If the law is on your side, pound the law into the table. If neither the facts nor the law are on your side, call the other side trolls and racists.

But which side are you referring to because I have seen both sides refer to the other as trolls and racists. Maybe neither the facts nor the law 100% support either side and instead where we are at is some gray area in between.

I must confess I don't understand the reason these people are protesting. If they want justice why don't they let the justice system do the job for which it was designed? I don't think the choices of MB and VM as their martyrs for justice are helping their cause. They were young men who made bad decisions resulting in their deaths, not innocent children.

'Ferguson October' rally highlights divide among St. Louis activists

Ferguson October' rally highlights divide among young and older St. Louis activists
'For us, this is not an academic issue. Y'all did not show up,' Ferguson activist Tef Poe tells diverse crowd
'I didn't come here to give a speech. I came here to go to jail!' Cornel West tells St. Louis activists

“For us, this is not an academic issue,” the St. Louis music artist and activist Tef Poe told the audience, which was racially and generationally diverse. “Y'all did not show up.”

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na...l?hootPostID=47065fb6120ebbcc12213969f24fd68a

The reason they were all in SHAW last night was because of Meyers. A couple days ago,Meyers parents attended and gave a speech.

The protestors surged at the scene of his shooting. MANY of the protestors were including Meyers in their anger towards the cops.

I was asking questions about the Myers shooting in Bellas live chat. Her MOD in the chat said she was going to ignore any and all questions about Myers shooting because there was only one thing they needed to know:

"myers is dead, and he is a young black male shot by a cop" = all they need to know

I asked, is that REALLY all you need to know? Doesnt the cop have he right to shoot back? She said NO. He does not. He should have never looked at or followed them. So he is wrong and racist and had no business STARTING the incident.

So I asked, what about his ankle monitor? Doesnt the cop have a right to ask why he is out and about? She said NO, because there was no ankle bracelet, that is all a lie by LE. [ But his lawyer publicly discussed the ankle bracelet already...so...and we have seen casenet and the pictures of him with guns]

Reedus23: This is what the poster was referring to. Kadydid was banned for asking these questions on their site.

Last night Meyer's dad marched with the large crowd. At one point they split into two groups... one going west, the other east. They met up at QT and then marched to SLU. At SLU they did a sit in and were calling for blankets and tents because they were going to be there awhile. (I fell asleep so I don't know exactly how it all went down) but apparently they aren't still there and a huge gathering and march is planned for this mornin. Meyer's dad currently works at SLU. :thinking: Some SLU students were tweeting saying they were being told to stay in their dorms by security.. jmo

October 13, 2014

Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on printMore Sharing Services

[h=1]An Important Update from the President[/h]Dear students, faculty, staff and parents,

These are unprecedented times for the St. Louis community, and Sunday and this morning, they arrived on our doorstep, as a protest was staged on our campus. We as a SLU community have responded peacefully and have kept the protests from escalating in any way. Please know that at all times, the safety of our students has been our top priority - and continues to be. <modsnip>

More at link:

http://www.slu.edu/x97791.xml

I must confess I don't understand the reason these people are protesting. If they want justice why don't they let the justice system do the job for which it was designed? I don't think the choices of MB and VM as their martyrs for justice are helping their cause. They were young men who made bad decisions resulting in their deaths, not innocent children.

You mean trust in that very system that they say is unjust?

Maybe they don't trust in the system because they feel that the system has already made up it's mind as well, that these were young men who made bad decisions resulting in their deaths? One thing that by and large seems certain, is that those who in some form or fashion represent "the system" have already pre-ordained that this was a good shoot. LEO wearing I support OW bracelets. County PD hockey team claiming to be Darren Wilson. A vast majority of LEO and those with friends/family that are in LE have unequivocally given their support to OW. And not a single one of them knows all of the facts.

It is one thing for a member of the general public to express a premature opinion as to OW's guilt or innocence, but those are individuals and entities that in some way are the face of the justice system. So, how can one ever expect the "justice system" to be fair and objective when they are already blindly determined the outcome of this case without knowing all of the facts? It's like having a debate over who is the best baseball team in America and I'm arguing that it's the Cardinals and all the while the supposed neutral arbiter who ultimately gets to decide is wearing an "I love the Cubs." bracelet the whole time.

Interfaith gathering calling for end to police violence brings hundreds to arena
http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/...cle_fa174bab-4e69-5351-9c71-ceafce1d60b8.html

Hundreds of people turned out Sunday night for an interfaith service where clergy urged a wider call for reforms in response to police violence against minorities.

Generational divides became apparent during the three hours that people spoke at Chaifetz Arena, at St. Louis University. At times, the crowd chanted calls for younger speakers &#8212; demanding instead to hear the people who&#8217;ve been on the streets of Ferguson since the Aug. 9 police shooting of Michael Brown.

DISSENSION is the ranks; some call for peace, others want to be arrested.

Reedus23: This is what the poster was referring to. Kadydid was banned for asking these questions on their site.

Thanks Lambchop. My point really is that all of this stuff can be said both ways. I've seen those on the MB side of things resort to calling people trolls/racists but I have also seen people on the OW side resort to calling people trolls/racists. So just as easily as it can be said that the facts and the law do not support one side, it can be said of the other as well. If anything were as clear cut as either side would make out, one of two things would have happened. 1. If it was so clearly a good shoot, it never would have been presented to the GJ. 2. If it were so clearly a bad shoot, there'd already be an arrest and indictment.

As for Katydid getting banned while on an activist's page...well that's obviously going to happen. Just as I would bet if Bella came here posting her true thoughts on the situation, she would probably be banned from here.

"I think it's needed," said Christie Huck, a Shaw resident who directs the nearby Montessori school. "We've got to change our police practices and all our systems that are failing our children."

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_9805e775-dffa-5b5a-b79d-6559866711ed.html

I am just thrilled that people are for change. I sure wish these people who point out all the problems would offer at least 1 solution.

As far as I can tell, the protesters want the police to stop profiling them. They don't want police shooting at them, even if they are shot at. The police should only be like security guards without weapons. These babies would still be alive if LE didn't have guns. They should be allowed to drive without insurance. They should be allowed to break any and all moving violations without recourse. They should be allowed to commit crimes without being stopped. Wouldn't it be nice if we ALL had those freedoms? Way too much police tyranny! All I can figure is that they want no rules, no laws.

'Failing our children', yeah, this day and age, everyone is suppose to raise your children, it's not YOUR responsibility anymore. Nothing is YOUR fault, it's everyone elses :)

<SARCASM RANT OVER>

Interfaith gathering calling for end to police violence brings hundreds to arena
http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/...cle_fa174bab-4e69-5351-9c71-ceafce1d60b8.html

Hundreds of people turned out Sunday night for an interfaith service where clergy urged a wider call for reforms in response to police violence against minorities.

Generational divides became apparent during the three hours that people spoke at Chaifetz Arena, at St. Louis University. At times, the crowd chanted calls for younger speakers &#8212; demanding instead to hear the people who&#8217;ve been on the streets of Ferguson since the Aug. 9 police shooting of Michael Brown.

DISSENSION is the ranks; some call for peace, others want to be arrested.

I still think it's a mistake to be limiting in their cause. Said it since day 1, they shouldn't have brought in Sharpton. If they focused more on the issue of police violence/brutality, they would have such a larger ground swell of support.

Three Wounded in Near South Side Shooting
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2014/10/12/three-wounded-in-near-south-side-shooting/

Police say it happened shortly before 8 p.m. near Rutger and Ohio in the Gate District, just south of St. Louis University.

not many detail have been released but there's talk about this shooting on KMOX 1120am

BTW - I have no problem with law enforcement support ODW; this tragedy could have happen to any one of them! I will always support LE over criminals

I have not seen one article indicating that the justice system has determined whether or not the shooting of either of these young men was justified or not. People are entitled to their opinions, but the law must be followed. As far as I can tell, the system that some people don't trust is still investigating.
I don't know, maybe some of these protesters would be better satisfied with anarchy.

Three Wounded in Near South Side Shooting
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2014/10/12/three-wounded-in-near-south-side-shooting/

Police say it happened shortly before 8 p.m. near Rutger and Ohio in the Gate District, just south of St. Louis University.

not many detail have been released but there's talk about this shooting on KMOX 1120am

BTW - I have no problem with law enforcement support ODW; this tragedy could have happen to them! I will always support LE over criminals

If it didn't involve police firing weapons, it will be forgotten in about 15 minutes......................................

Thanks Lambchop. My point really is that all of this stuff can be said both ways. I've seen those on the MB side of things resort to calling people trolls/racists but I have also seen people on the OW side resort to calling people trolls/racists. So just as easily as it can be said that the facts and the law do not support one side, it can be said of the other as well. If anything were as clear cut as either side would make out, one of two things would have happened. 1. If it was so clearly a good shoot, it never would have been presented to the GJ. 2. If it were so clearly a bad shoot, there'd already be an arrest and indictment.

As for Katydid getting banned while on an activist's page...well that's obviously going to happen. Just as I would bet if Bella came here posting her true thoughts on the situation, she would probably be banned from here.

pfft Bella: she's not even local to StL; IMHO she's an antagonizer & not helping the "movement" with the exception of recording events (and recording her potty mouth); I know there's a team of nerds combing through social media for StLCPD & collecting a ton of data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopy22192