Deceased/Not Found MO - Renee Pernice, 35, Kansas City, 2 Jan 2009 - *S. Pernice guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Off topic; but someone asked me here a while back, if I was a nurse, & if I knew Renee. I replied that I live in Nebraska, and that Renee's story, although I did not know her, had just gripped me because she was a fellow nurse.

Yesterday I heard from my daughter, that my former sister-in-law (also a nurse) in the Kansas City area had been murdered by her husband. Here is a link. http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/story/1136635.html. (I am so tech-unsavvy, if my link does not work, do a Google search on Crystal Caldwell murder Kansas City).

I had not been in contact with Crystal for years, but she was always a good-hearted, hardworking woman. This guy obviously had a TON of red flags, and I am surprised that she married him, she always seemed more sensible than to fall for someone like this. God rest her soul.

I apologize for going off-topic, there really are not a lot of similiarities in these two situations, but, one thing that stood out to me, is that she, like Renee, had marital problems and had told her husband that "one of them had to move out." Guys, just get an apartment, the Penitentiary is not a desirable new address.

The custody case for the children of a missing Northland mother will be drawn out at least through the summer.

A Clay County judge Friday set the trial for July 31.

Lockwood filed a petition seeking guardianship of the two boys. In it, she says Shon is an "unfit" parent.

The court documents claim that Shon left the two boys alone at least once, brandished a gun in front of them and tried to take money out of the children's bank accounts in Renee's name.

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/news/local/story/Missing-Moms-Kids-Involved-in-Custody-Battle/aUxVy6X2XEiM-O3Rx6gDRA.cspx

Renee's family and her father's coworkers at First National Bank have compiled a cookbook dedicated to Renee as a fundraiser. The cost is $10 and all proceeds go to Renee's fund. Bracelets are still available for $5. Both are available at the following locations:

6201 College Blvd, Overland Park, KS 66211 (College & Lamar)
4650 College Blvd, Overland Park, KS 66211 (College & Roe)
9700 Metcalf, Overland Park, KS 66212
6301 Pflumm, Shawnee, KS 66216 (Shawnee Mission Parkway & Pflumm)
2828 Shawnee Mission, Fairway, KS 66205
8800 W 135th, Overland Park, KS 66221 (135th & Antioch)
13518 S Alden, Olathe, KS 66062 (135th & Blackbob)

First National Bank's phone number is 913-266-9000

Is that the Federal building behind the truck in the first picture?

Do you suppose that's the real truck, or one that is the same make and model and color?

Mr. Pretz said in the interview yesterday that the picture he was holding up was NOT the truck in the fuzzy photo. It is just a clear picture of what that truck may look like. His point was really not so much about that particular truck as it was for people to think if they loaned their truck to anyone on the 1st of January. Or if their truck was missing around that time. If so, he wants them to call the TIPS hotline and have the police check it out.

I'm still disturbed that this man is still selling items online that I find to be very suspicious.

A fragmentation vest
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:Kcwl0lxL930J:www.kcguntrader.com/viewad.asp%3Fid%3D50046614856100012+ifdfiremedic&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
dsci0117.jpg

15 Knives
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:tRZ2gvRnGqEJ:www.kcguntrader.com/viewad.asp%3Fid%3D50020699465100012+ifdfiremedic&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
dsci0031.jpg

Tactical Light
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/spo/1176193794.html
3ne3o73p5ZZZZZZZZZ95h7f9c1277d48d1378.jpg

3-9x40 Scope
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/spo/1176190315.html
3n03pc3o3ZZZZZZZZZ95h416a8d21fe02155e.jpg

An active True.com Online Dating Profile (again)
http://www.true.com/US/mo/KansasCity/MF/ifdfiremedic.aspx

From all of the items I've seen this individual sell online, one can only assume these items were inside of the residence when they searched the home months ago. If these items were not inside of the residence prior to them being posted online for sale, I really hope law enforcement is monitoring and tracking this activity.

Perhaps these items have nothing to do with this case, but I feel this information should be made public.

---------------------------
--------------------------
-------------------------
Search techniques used for the above information:
http://www.google.com/search?q=ifdfiremedic

KCSLEUTH

IMO, Shon Pernice is a psychopath and needs to be stopped permanently NOW! LE needs to do a full-court press finding Renee if that's what it's going to take to put this away forever. Jeez.

Someone alerted me today in regards to someone else posing as me on the other site. I'm not quite sure what I missed as it appears to have been deleted.

The Gardner News & The Spring Hill New Era

http://www.gardnernews.com/default....ubname=&pform=&sc=1953&hn=gardnernews&he=.com

Danedri Thompson
[email address]

SH WOMAN SEARCHES FOR MISSING SISTER

Finding the lost has been something of an obsession for Cynthia Hurtie, Spring Hill. She’ll settle for finding just one missing person, but ideally, Hurtie, a recent graduate with a degree in forensic science, would like to find her sister, Star Boomer.
"If you have a person go missing in your life, it’s unrepairable," she said. "It does major damage to the family members."
The last people to see Boomer alive told police that Boomer got into an altercation on Feb. 23, 1999 at Uncle Mike’s Bar in Kansas City, Kan. She was allegedly knocked to the ground and where she lost consciousness.
According to old news accounts, Boomer went to the local watering hole with friend and roommate, Carolyn Marshall. Marshall stayed for one drink and planned to return to pick up Boomer later in the evening. Marshall was told that Boomer had left with two men, when she returned to pick Boomer up. Investigators believe she was killed at the bar and her body was dumped.
It cut short future plans for mother of one. Boomer, along with her young son, were planning to move to Spring Hill to live with her parents when she disappeared.
Hurtie said someone knows what happened to her sister 10 years ago, and it’s time they came forward.
There were 13 witnesses in the bar, according to investigators, and the Kansas Bureau of Investigation is upping the ante in the case with a $5,000 reward for information.
"We need these witnesses to open up and say something," Hurtie said. "There were 13 witnesses in the bar, and nobody is saying anything."
One of those witnesses from the bar that night, Shon Pernice, was a regular on the news early this year, and Hurtie hopes that might trigger memories of others who may have seen something.
Pernice, who is being investigated for the January disappearance of his wife, Renee, was a patron at Uncle Mike’s Bar on the night of Boomer’s disappearance. He was not named as a person of interest or a suspect in the 10-year-old case.
In 1999, two men were arrested and charged with second degree murder, however, the men were released and charges were dismissed for lack of evidence.
Hurtie said police need to recover Boomer’s body for prosecution to move forward, but that’s a tall order after more than 10 years.
To that end, Hurtie is working with a private investigator who trains cadaver dogs. One dog, Jordan, was trained specifically to search for Boomer’s body. Hurtie, along with her private investigator, flew to Florida with Jordan to search for Caylee Anthony last summer.
Anthony, a 2-year-old, went missing last June. Her body was eventually recovered and her mother was charged with murder.
Hurtie said it’s now her life’s work to help find missing people. Hurtie was living in Lawrence and working in the nursing industry when Boomer was murdered, but she’s since moved to Spring Hill to be near her parents and pursue finding the lost.
"It’s really affected our family," she said. "And we need these witnesses to open up and say something."
The Kansas Bureau of Investigation and the Kansas City, Kan. Police Department are still pursuing the case. Those with information about the disappearance of Star Boomer are asked to contact the KBI at (800)-KS-CRIME.

=============
Special thanks to Danedri Thompson for providing the complete article at no charge and giving us permission to post the article in full. Thank you Ms. Thompson and The Gardner News and Spring Hill New Era.

What was he doing? Shooting fireworks from inside his truck or something? Please someone get those little boys away from him asap.

http://www.fox4kc.com/wdaf-shon-pernice-arrested-story-7509,0,6423819.story

(snip)
Pernice was said to be driving up and down the street shooting off fireworks with his two boys at the time.

Agony reshapes the life of a family
By GLENN E. RICE
The Kansas City Star

Rick Pretz was driving to work a couple of weeks ago when he snapped, taking out his frustrations on his GMC pickup.

It was the kind of unpredictable emotional outburst that has overtaken Pretz without warning since his daughter, Renee M. Pernice, disappeared six months ago.

“Losing Renee, not having her body for closure and not having anyone arrested for her murder,” he said. “I started yelling as loud as I could and began beating on the steering wheel.”

No one has seen or heard from Renee, a 35-year-old nurse and mother of two sons and a stepdaughter, since the first days of the year.

Clay County Prosecutor Daniel White has said there is substantial evidence she is dead. Investigators have said her husband, Shon Pernice, was the last person known to have seen her.

No arrests have been made, and no criminal charges have been filed.

The questions surrounding Renee’s disappearance have consumed the lives of Pretz and his family.

“She had everything to live for,” Pretz said. “Someone killed her and hid her body, and we cannot find her.”

The family held a private remembrance ceremony on April 26, just before Renee’s birthday.

In May, about 40 volunteers searched through a wooded area in the Northeast area of Kansas City but came up with nothing new.

Family members pooled their money to offer a $25,000 reward for information about her disappearance. They show up at public gatherings and court hearings dressed in “Team Renee” T-shirts to keep her image in public view.

The family started a trust fund for her children, created a scholarship for nursing students and sold “Justice for Renee” cookbooks and purple bracelets. They even consulted a psychic.

“I still feel confident we are going to get justice, and I think we will find Renee,” said Linda Lockwood, her mother.

Since her daughter’s disappearance, Lockwood has had trouble sleeping. When she finally dozes off, nightmares wake her, she said.

“Renee is always the last thing on my mind when I go to bed, and she is the first thing I think about when I wake up,” Lockwood said, choking back tears.

Renee, who had begun divorce proceedings when she vanished, had not said anything to family members indicating she thought she was in any kind of danger.

She and her children saw her family on Christmas Eve. On New Year’s Day, Pretz called Renee to check on her.

Then, on Jan. 3, older sister Lisa Mooney noticed she had missed several phone calls from Renee’s cell phone.

Mooney called back but could not reach Renee. She said she called Renee’s house and was startled when Shon Pernice answered the phone.

Family members said Renee had told them that Shon was leaving for a two-week National Guard training session and was to move out of the house when he returned.

Mooney said Shon Pernice told her that Renee had been gone for some time.

“Our lives will never be the same,” Mooney recalled saying after hanging up.

Police found Renee’s cell phone Jan. 3 near Sixth Street and Gladstone Avenue in the Northeast area.

They also obtained surveillance video of a truck driving in the area of Gladstone Boulevard between St. John Avenue and Seventh or Eighth Street the morning of Jan. 2.

Weeks after Renee’s disappearance, police got a search warrant for her house.

The affidavit for the search warrant said Shon Pernice had made inconsistent statements about his wife’s disappearance. He told his wife’s relatives that he last saw her on New Year’s Day, according to the affidavit. But days later, he told detectives he last saw her Jan. 2.

Shon Pernice has not made any public comment about his wife’s disappearance. His attorneys also declined to comment.

Earlier this year, he was charged with felony theft for allegedly stealing a neighbor’s handgun on Jan. 31. Authorities said the gun charge was not related to the disappearance.

Because of the gun charge, Shon Pernice has been placed on leave from the Independence Fire Department, where he worked as a paramedic, said his attorney, Eric Vernon.

Pretz and Lockwood, along with their spouses, get to see Renee’s sons every Thursday through monitored visits. Lockwood is seeking guardianship of the two boys.

Family members never know when emotions will bubble to the surface, Mooney said.

“You could be in the middle of something and it hits you,” she said. “You think about the things that Renee will never be able to enjoy.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INSIDE
Kansas City police arrest Shon Pernice, citing him for disturbing the peace. | A8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shon Pernice arrested
Kansas City police arrested Shon Pernice for disturbing the peace after he allegedly stood in front of a neighbor’s house at 12:10 a.m. Sunday and yelled at him.

He was released from jail on a $100 bond Sunday afternoon after police wrote him a city ordinance violation.

The man who signed the complaint, Julian Mendez, accused Pernice earlier this year of stealing a gun from his basement. Pernice is awaiting trial on felony stealing charges in that case.

Pernice said he called 911 early Sunday after Mendez assaulted him, but police said Mendez phoned for help late Saturday night.

Pernice said he was driving home after lighting sparklers and smoke bombs with his children down the street when Mendez tossed into his face a liquid that he called an irritant.

“I was blinded,” he said. “I immediately pulled over.”

Mendez said he didn’t throw anything at Pernice and only went into the street to watch over his own son, who was picking something up.

Pernice called 911 three times and officers showed up, but he said they told him to walk a few houses down to his own home because they thought he was too drunk to drive. Pernice said that although he’d had some beer earlier, he smelled of alcohol because of what was thrown on him.

Police spokesman Capt. Rich Lockhart said Pernice sounded intoxicated and belligerent in the first call, during which he claimed to have been pepper-sprayed.

Pernice’s mother went to retrieve the van and kids. When she didn’t return, Pernice said, he walked back down to see what was delaying her. He said that’s when he and the neighbor yelled at each other.

“I told him ‘You’re going to go to jail for this!’ ” Pernice said.

Lockhart said the neighbor called police at 11:14 p.m. about someone who was screaming and possibly drunk in the street.

Pernice went back home, called 911 a fourth time and told dispatchers angrily that he was going to file a complaint with the internal affairs unit.

A short time later, police showed up and arrested him for disturbing the peace. Lockhart said officers followed protocol.

“We can tell from the officers’ actions they thought Shon was the primary aggressor,” Lockhart said.

Pernice said his two children witnessed the alleged assault and were frightened by it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back