MO - Woman escapes from Excelsior Springs house, says she's been held against her will since September 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

A woman investigators have been looking for as part of an ongoing Excelsior Springs rape and kidnapping case has been found dead.

The Clay County Prosecutor’s Office was notified Sunday that the remains of Jaynie Crosdale have been located in Saline County, Missouri.
Assuming it is determined to be a homicide, I have a feeling we know who suspect #1 is going to be.

A woman investigators have been looking for as part of an ongoing Excelsior Springs rape and kidnapping case has been found dead.

The Clay County Prosecutor’s Office was notified Sunday that the remains of Jaynie Crosdale have been located in Saline County, Missouri.
Dreadful.

Unfathomable terror. How just how?

So unfair.

it will be interseting to discover TOD for MS. Crosdale. If it was prior to Haslett's arrest I guess we al know who suspect # 1 is. and if she died after his incarceration was her death related to the case against him or simply a sad but expected result of bad lifefstyle choices?

I almost wonder if she was one of the "other victims" mentioned by the young woman who escaped.

it will be interseting to discover TOD for MS. Crosdale. If it was prior to Haslett's arrest I guess we al know who suspect # 1 is. and if she died after his incarceration was her death related to the case against him or simply a sad but expected result of bad lifefstyle choices?

I almost wonder if she was one of the "other victims" mentioned by the young woman who escaped.
This part of the article (the same one as linked above) leads me to believe they think Haslett may have been involved:

Haslett is being held on a $3 million bond. The Clay County Prosecutor’s Office filed a motion Monday to increase Haslett’s bond on his existing case.

A spokesperson for the prosecutor’s office said they requested the bond increase because of new details in the case that create a greater concern for the community’s safety if were were released.

“Our office is working closely with law enforcement to gather all evidence and information that is needed to build the strongest case possible and deliver justice for Jaynie Crosdale,” Clay County Prosecutor Zachary Thompson said.

The prosecutor’s office believes it will retain jurisdiction on Haslett’s case regarding this new development.

I am still confused - is Jaynie the original victim that was kidnapped and escaped, or is she just a witness that was there when the original victim was help captive? Another sad case! R.I.P. Jaynie! May justice be met!!
IIRC Jaynie was a potential witness police wanted to question about the original (escaped) kidnapping victim. The moment they said they were seeking to question Jaynie but couldn't locate her, I thought she was likely one of the other kidnapped women the original victim told police about.

According to the article her body was found in June.

Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. Andy Bell said back in June, kayakers found human remains on an island on the Missouri River in Saline County.

I think this article is about her remains:

IIRC Jaynie was a potential witness police wanted to question about the original (escaped) kidnapping victim. The moment they said they were seeking to question Jaynie but couldn't locate her, I thought she was likely one of the other kidnapped women the original victim told police about.

I think you're absolutely right here.

Wow that was quite a ways away from where he lived.

I sincerely hope they continue to look for other victims. I’m so glad there is at least one surviving victim that can get justice.
Hypothetically, if a body was put in the Missouri River near Excelsior Springs, it could end up in Saline County after a few months. Saline County is downriver from Excelsior Springs.

ETA: I would think that would be a reasonable distance for a body to travel if it had been in the river for 10+ months (i.e., on or before September 2022 to June 2023)

Wow that was quite a ways away from where he lived.

I sincerely hope they continue to look for other victims. I’m so glad there is at least one surviving victim that can get justice.

If you trace the Missouri River back a bit toward Excelsior Springs, it's not too far. Missouri City is directly south of Excelsior Springs and is on the river. It's possible he put her body in the river upstream, closer to Missouri City, and it ended up downstream where the kayakers were.

According to the article her body was found in June.

Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. Andy Bell said back in June, kayakers found human remains on an island on the Missouri River in Saline County.

I think this article is about her remains:
yes remains found in June, but in what state? Skeletal? Had the remains been there for an extended period or did she die after Haslett's arrest? That is the question. I do get the sense from what is between the lines that Jaynie was a fatal victim of Haslett's. RIP

Hypothetically, if a body was put in the Missouri River near Excelsior Springs, it could end up in Saline County after a few months. Saline County is downriver from Excelsior Springs.

ETA: I would think that would be a reasonable distance for a body to travel if it had been in the river for 10+ months (i.e., on or before September 2022 to June 2023)
If the spot on the island were the remains were found does not flood than the remains were placed there.

Without knowing exactly where on the island the remains were found it's not possible to determine that.

JMO

Hill's Island Chute appears to be about an hour drive from Excelsior Springs. That island is very near to the Cranberry Bend Natl Wildlife refuge. More about the refuge:

• Cranberry Bend Unit
    This unit located in northwestern Saline County and northeastern Lafayette County north of Grand Pass, Missouri. The unit consists of two parcels. The larger parcel, 745 acres, consists of open grassland areas and floodplain forests in various stages of maturity. Included in this parcel is a series of chutes or side channels of the Missouri River that form islands and restrict access without a boat.

Big Muddy National Fish and Wildlife Refuge | Visit Us - Locations | U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service

Does/did Haslett have a boat? If so the body didn't really need to float there on it's own. What better place to try to hide a body than a nature preserve in an area that is mostly only accessible by boat?

yes remains found in June, but in what state? Skeletal? Had the remains been there for an extended period or did she die after Haslett's arrest? That is the question. I do get the sense from what is between the lines that Jaynie was a fatal victim of Haslett's. RIP
Oh, don't mind me, in my mind we're still in 2022. Facepalm.

Oh, don't mind me, in my mind we're still in 2022. Facepalm.
Never mind, due to being shut in for pretty much the last three and a half years (partner is immunocompromised) if anyone asks me when anything in that time period happened, if I actually recall it happening at all, I have to admit I have no freaking idea. It's all smooshed together. Time, what even is it.

MOO

In a statement to FOX4, Crosdale’s family said:

“We are deeply saddened at this horrific news. We are however relieved that we finally get to have a proper burial for her. She was truly loved and will be missed.”

They said she wasn’t just a witness but she was a victim of Haslett’s.

Interesting if the information in this article proves to be correct:

1690983296232.png
Several large blue barrels were found at the home of Timothy Haslett Jr. last October. Could they be linked to this latest discovery?

[...]
On or around June 24, 2023, kayakers on the Missouri River reported the discovery of the remains. While specific details about their exact report remain undisclosed, it appears that the kayakers came across a barrel in the river and upon inspection found the remains inside.

In a statement to FOX4, Crosdale’s family said:

“We are deeply saddened at this horrific news. We are however relieved that we finally get to have a proper burial for her. She was truly loved and will be missed.”

They said she wasn’t just a witness but she was a victim of Haslett’s.

Interesting if the information in this article proves to be correct:

View attachment 438553
Several large blue barrels were found at the home of Timothy Haslett Jr. last October. Could they be linked to this latest discovery?

[...]
On or around June 24, 2023, kayakers on the Missouri River reported the discovery of the remains. While specific details about their exact report remain undisclosed, it appears that the kayakers came across a barrel in the river and upon inspection found the remains inside.
Omg

Her remains were found in a blue barrel.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back