Motions Hearing - Fri., Jan. 30, 2009 @8:30 AM

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is sounds like he says I am going to give you some paper and a pen to write.

Does he say "a pen to write" or "pretend to write"?

In this link of raw video, at approx 2:09, he rips off some paper and gives it to the trying-not-to-look-like-a-perp Perp. I *think* he says to her "Here I'm gonna give you some paper - pretend to write - be very careful guarding it"

http://www.wesh.com/video/18602633/index.html

Can someone with better ears see if they hear the same thing?? :waitasec:
Some other guy off camera is talking at the same time so it's a little difficult to hear.

THOUGHTS??

I did not get to see a part of the hearing, so I guess it is safe to assume that the motion asking for the DNA report concerning Jesse G. was not done today? Also the same concerning the fingerprint evidence Baez wanted? Neither of these motions were addressed today? TIA

Do you think she was really writing a letter or note since there was conversation about passing letters after the camera was turned off but the audio was still on???

I believe I heard someone(TRUTV maybe?) say that the defense entenmologist was pressuring JB to get back in there in case there is any more evidence-cause stuff is growing back!:waitasec:
It will be interesting to see if JB uses this opportunity now that he has permission to go on property!

So ridiculous, entomologist and other forensic experts are alittle late to the party eh? I was surprised to see LKB at this hearing. Was it that important that she'd fly in from Calif? :confused:
ITA: I think MN acted the most approriately and confidently. I'm very disappointed to hear the case won't happen until end of year?? Usually that benefits the defense, but I did think that the State has some other surprised and assume that the way this has been going, they'll have plenty to this ongoing saga and don't want to miss a thing. lol

I did not get to see a part of the hearing, so I guess it is safe to assume that the motion asking for the DNA report concerning Jesse G. was not done today? Also the same concerning the fingerprint evidence Baez wanted? Neither of these motions were addressed today? TIA

Those motions did not come up during the hearing.

I believe the judge needs to allow him access to Equisearch documents that relate to where they searched. It should be part of the discovery. I also think his point about their connection to Florida is valid. They took orders from OCSO, received money from them and Tim was even brought behind the crime scene tape when Baez was prohibited.

I also think the judge was wrong (although I am not an attorney) in denying the recuse motion. I think this (and the above if he doesn't help the defense get this) will be grounds for appeal. It doesn't sound too doubtful that someone from their office is playing dirty. Who ever it is works for the SA.

The stars were clearly in favor of the defense today.

Ps: ok, I ready for the tomatoes being thrown. I'll use them in my Chili or Pizza. But I'll reserve the ham and chees for the experts ;)

Interesting perspective, but I disagree because the recuse is highly unusual and the things T. Black said were of "bar" investigation quality. There is much disagreement whether Mr. Black aka unknown actually works for the defense or not. Baez has stated he does on several occasions. The leaks have may or may not have anything to do with the SA.

Bold is mine

She hasn't done to well up till now with public opinion so I'm sure they are pulling out all the stops to rehabilitate her in the public eye.....plus it's one of the oldest defense ploys ever....back in the day that is basically what we had all our criminal clients do in court...it is supposed to help!!!

Gives the appearance (however false) of them caring/taking proceedings seriously.

..... They took orders from OCSO, received money from them and Tim was even brought behind the crime scene tape when Baez was prohibited.

;)

I'm not at all sure this is an accurate statement. They organised the search in co-operation with OSCO. ie, they used the information that LE had collected. That is not the same as taking orders.

JOse saying, "i'm gonna give you some paper, pretend to write." is what I hear, yes.

Unusual wording "pretend to write". Why not just say "take notes", instead?

That's what I thought... it just such a manipulative statement... ie. just pretend to be interested. All for show.

Everyone keeps reference a playful interaction btw JB & KC... can someone tell me at what time in the video it occurs? I missed it.
thanks

I agree with you Charleston. I think the more interesting question is WHY does the defense want it? What substantive information could be applied toward the defense's case? How would this information support her innocence (I don't think it can or will), or how will this information support mistrial/appeals/other legal technicalities or merely plant the seeds of doubt due to some type of "set-up" scenario?

I would want those records for completeness, if nothing else. If searches were only conducted by LE, the defense would have all that information through discovery - who, what, when, why and how all areas were searched. The defense needs all pieces of the puzzle in order to draft their own theory of the case and to make sure nothing in their theory is contradicted by opposing evidence.

Say, for instance, the defense in this case forwards a theory that the body was moved while the defendant was in custody (I'm not saying they will, just using this for illustration). In order to do that, the defense has to offer some basis for the theory - where the body was in the meantime, when it was moved, who they think moved it, etc. Knowing exactly which areas were searched, the defense can choose an alternate area for body's interim location without being contradicted with evidence that area was searched. In this theory, the defense could say the body was located at place X (which was not searched) for a period of time, then moved to the place it was found (which was searched previously, so the body could not have been there the entire time).

Anyway, not to ramble, but as a defense attorney attempting to construct my theory of the crime/defense, I'd want to know every move everyone made in order to make no misstep.

PattyG has the hearing recorded and uploading to youtube, if you want to watch:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78965

I believe the judge needs to allow him access to Equisearch documents that relate to where they searched. It should be part of the discovery. I also think his point about their connection to Florida is valid. They took orders from OCSO, received money from them and Tim was even brought behind the crime scene tape when Baez was prohibited.

Although I understand Tim's/NM's argument on this, I have to agree with you on this.

I also think the judge was wrong (although I am not an attorney) in denying the recuse motion. I think this (and the above if he doesn't help the defense get this) will be grounds for appeal. It doesn't sound too doubtful that someone from their office is playing dirty. Who ever it is works for the SA.

I disagree !! From all I've heard, it is common for the defense to file a recuse motion against the pros. At least NG and the Attorney's on her show led me to believe it's quite common.I don't believe this will become a viable appeal issue.

The stars were clearly in favor of the defense today.

For obvious reasons, I don't think Judge S. wants to come across as being unfair to the defense.

*Snipped*

wow kc almost looked like a real lawyer in that get-up. I hope she smiles like that during the trial. why the special treatment with the street clothes and the removal of the shackles? I thought inmates were only allowed that luxury during their trial? JB's plan to dress her up to improve her image backfired, it makes me hate her more that she is getting special treatment.

From watching Tru Tv (Court TV) this morning, the host said Casey was wearing jail issued dark blue pants with a blazer as a top. Her ankles were in shackles but not her wrists, according to their reports. They kept saying how very young she looks.

Well, I won't bore you with the astronomical details but he hasn't yet ruled on all of the motions, for one. Next, if I am right and these denials are in violation of the Federal law, that is a big bonus for the defense. Next, I might have misunderstood, but I heard the judge saying the search information is relevant for the defense. Finally, the prosecution must be very nervous that Baez will insist on a speedy trial, even if he can't make that motion because they keep withholding discovery but leaking to the media.

Oh, one more thing, if Henery L so easily found more hair, etc, so much so that the LE went back to check again and found lots more, I think there is a pretty good chance they will find more evidence in that 1/2-1 acre parcel.

Jose B has already waived the right to a speedy trial.

I'm not at all sure this is an accurate statement. They organised the search in co-operation with OSCO. ie, they used the information that LE had collected. That is not the same as taking orders.

I'm only going by what I heard Tim Miller say. I believe the amount he mentioned is $5000. I don't know where I heard it but here is an article I found with a simple google.

""Why bring us in? Why call us? There are many families that really need our help," Miller said.

Members of the Orange County Sheriff's Office have requested the search team stay.

"The Sheriff of Orange County has given us a check for $5,000, 25 airboats and the entire mounted patrol to continue the search for Caylee," Miller said.
"The sheriff says he wants us to stay until Caylee is found, and we will search the entire county, state and country until we find this little girl so we can give her the dignity and respect she deserves," he continued."

Kind Regards,
Connie

By any chance, was the camera pointed in Miss Casey's direction during the discussion about the trial date occurring late this year or even next year?

That must have given her pause.

IMO, Casey looked like she wasn't paying much attention to the proceedings. I think she doesn't notice how much JB seems outclassed, and may, in her own mind, think the other attorneys are just "stuck up" and like using big words. All this law stuff is just boring to her. She even seems like she is playing a role, and doesn't take it seriously.

Those of you who are familiar with her personality disorder -- is this typical? I honestly just do not "get it". I've read a lot on sociopathy, narcissism, whatever I can find, and I just cannot fathom that she doesn't seem to understand that this is really, really important.

I guess counseling is out as a career for me!

Well, I won't split hairs over the word "orders" but I did hear TM on more than one occasion say they were looking where OCSO told them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seng Naw