Identified! MS - Biloxi, UnkSex/Race Adult, UP78458, Skeletal on Roof of Building, Sep'19 - Gary Lee White

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm really also not sold on the idea of this being a weather victim. For all we know, someone could have been trying to capitalize on the circumstances so that a body wouldnt raise any other concerns. MOO.
But for it to be this long seems odd.
Looking at property history (see my previous post) from random clicking around, at least one person possibly tied to the area / neighboring structures per public records was also linked to an area i lived in 15ish yrs ago that's known (or was known) by locals for having at least a dozen people living under one roof. It was in "little Chinatown" section of brooklyn ny. I think the younger generations got into gangs. They (the older generations/tenants) never got into any sort of trouble with LE though. Despite other households being evicted for having one more than the maximum of 5 (for example).
This is probably the most irrelevant but .. just throwing it in the hat.

I'm really also not sold on the idea of this being a weather victim. For all we know, someone could have been trying to capitalize on the circumstances so that a body wouldnt raise any other concerns. MOO.
But for it to be this long seems odd.
Looking at property history (see my previous post) from random clicking around, at least one person possibly tied to the area / neighboring structures per public records was also linked to an area i lived in 15ish yrs ago that's known (or was known) by locals for having at least a dozen people living under one roof. It was in "little Chinatown" section of brooklyn ny. I think the younger generations got into gangs. They (the older generations/tenants) never got into any sort of trouble with LE though. Despite other households being evicted for having one more than the maximum of 5 (for example).
This is probably the most irrelevant but .. just throwing it in the hat.

I completely respect your thoughts here, I think I get what you are saying and I can see that possibility as well. Lots of "activities" go on in the coastal towns. However, it wouldn't be the first time that a body has been found long after the storm in a odd location. I think Mississippi has well over 60 people still missing in the aftermath.

Last edited:
ohohoh, wouldn't it be funny if we've been tracking the life and death of an AC vent? :D
it really is hard to tell because as you zoom in, Google Maps 'simplifies' the image into a bunch of pixels and blocks so everything looks like a little colored box! for instance, this is what satellite view does to the nearby parking lot.
tumblr_pyolmhuW9u1w7mwhvo1_540.jpg

still, it seems like there are only 4 or 5 buildings off Barthe street, and only one looks 'vacant' as described.
View attachment 207122

The most recent satellite image was taken 3 months ago and the skeleton was described as being there 'for some time' so I'd guess the body would be present in that image, and I don't see anything else suspicious. Unless theres 2 Barthes St. in Biloxi, I'll be surprised if they're referring to another rooftop!

I wonder what they exactly mean by, been there for sometime.

The reason I asked is my hubby, and I were just there in mid August for 10 days this year. We go there each year for our anniversary. The temps were so high it was miserable even with the wind blowing. So up on a roof it would be even much hotter with the hot sun beaming down on it every day.

High heat is a major factor which speeds up the decomposition rapidly.

If the deceased victim's remains began to rapidly have skin slippage which also releases bodily fluids, it would also quickly dry up.

Whomever it is I hope they find out what happened.

Jmho

I go there every few weeks. If I need to sleuth anything, I will, next time I'm there.

Although we have never gotten another massive storm surge event (I'm in new orleans), we have definitely had storms strong enough to blow bones off a roof from 15 years ago. I am doubting it is from Katrina. My guess is homeless and hot (it's really hot here, yall!!!!), so no clothing, if it's a male. Foul play, if it's a female. But, thats just my guess. Hopefully, we will get an answer.

I live in Ocean Springs, right across the bridge from Biloxi. I very highly doubt those bones had been there since Katrina. I am going to ask around tomorrow and see what I find out!

Maybe not, but it was worth a thought anyway. Do you know how old that building is? It looked pretty old to me and I wondered if survived not only Katrina, but also Camille? If so it has weathered some major storm damage.

Biloxi is in Harrison County, MS.
Someone could search the property records for this address and it might have a year built for the building.

The building is older but not as old as some of the buildings around it.
Biloxi PD doesn’t know much. In MS there is one Medical Examiner who preforms autopsies with the assistance of some others. The only facility that these are done is in Jackson. They have to call in an anthropologist as well. It is a slow going process with little to no info just yet.

The building is older but not as old as some of the buildings around it.
Biloxi PD doesn’t know much. In MS there is one Medical Examiner who preforms autopsies with the assistance of some others. The only facility that these are done is in Jackson. They have to call in an anthropologist as well. It is a slow going process with little to no info just yet.

While true that the state crime lab (in Pearl) is an absolute mess in backlogs, each county does have its own deputy medical examiner and medical examiner investigators.
There is one chief medical examiner for the state of MS who is responsible for the autopsies, although he can appoint another pathologist to do the autopsies. We are amid controversy here between law enforcement and state lawmakers over privatizing autopsies to relieve this horrible situation which LE feels is a potential nightmare for trial evidence.

While true that the state crime lab (in Pearl) is an absolute mess in backlogs, each county does have its own deputy medical examiner and medical examiner investigators.
There is one chief medical examiner for the state of MS who is responsible for the autopsies, although he can appoint another pathologist to do the autopsies. We are amid controversy here between law enforcement and state lawmakers over privatizing autopsies to relieve this horrible situation which LE feels is a potential nightmare for trial evidence.

All true. My point of saying all that is to explain the length of time this will take. They are concerned with recently deceased autopsies. Of course the Medical examiner “can” assign someone else to do this case but that does not mean it will happen.
Also County coroners/deputy medical examiners Do not preform autopsies in MS. (To my knowledge) State crime lab is in Pearl but that is not where the body would necessarily go. I’m waiting to hear back from the investigator with his update.

All true. My point of saying all that is to explain the length of time this will take. They are concerned with recently deceased autopsies. Of course the Medical examiner “can” assign someone else to do this case but that does not mean it will happen.
Also County coroners/deputy medical examiners Do not preform autopsies in MS. (To my knowledge) State crime lab is in Pearl but that is not where the body would necessarily go. I’m waiting to hear back from the investigator with his update.

Right. I understood that you were explaining the huge backlog that we have here. But I wanted to clarify that we do have more than one ME for the state. County coroners do not perform autopsies but there are other pathologists who do but apparently not enough. I think money is the big issue. The state just cannot afford to pay enough pathologists which is why some advocate privatizing. It's all just fresh on my mind since I was looking it all up for the Ally Kostial case up in Oxford.

You mentioned anthropologists in your other message and I wonder if they will utilize the departments at USM or MSU?

Right. I understood that you were explaining the huge backlog that we have here. But I wanted to clarify that we do have more than one ME for the state. County coroners do not perform autopsies but there are other pathologists who do but apparently not enough. I think money is the big issue. The state just cannot afford to pay enough pathologists which is why some advocate privatizing. It's all just fresh on my mind since I was looking it all up for the Ally Kostial case up in Oxford.

You mentioned anthropologists in your other message and I wonder if they will utilize the departments at USM or MSU?

My contact said the deputy coroner has been very busy in Harrison County. We had an Unidentified John Doe found on a barrier island right a couple of miles from these remains. They are hoping revealing info about his tattoos may help in identifying him. The coroner is working very hard on that case since the person passed away much more recent than the person on the roof.
They have the new state of the art facility in Harrison County they built for when they hire another medical examiner for the southern region. Which they never did because of money.

I honestly do not know how I feel about privatizing it. Do other states have that? How has that worked? Where does the cost come from? Who pays them?

My contact said the deputy coroner has been very busy in Harrison County. We had an Unidentified John Doe found on a barrier island right a couple of miles from these remains. They are hoping revealing info about his tattoos may help in identifying him. The coroner is working very hard on that case since the person passed away much more recent than the person on the roof.
They have the new state of the art facility in Harrison County they built for when they hire another medical examiner for the southern region. Which they never did because of money.

I honestly do not know how I feel about privatizing it. Do other states have that? How has that worked? Where does the cost come from? Who pays them?

Gosh, so many families waiting to hear on these id's and so many dedicated public servants working feverishly to make that happen. I can't imagine being in either position.

I may do little research on privatizing. I know nothing about it and just came across the topic googling info about our notorious backlog. We are in such dire straits here, but I hate to see us go a route that ends up making it harder on our LE to get their trial evidence, which has been the main reason for opposition.

Thanks for mentioning that other case. I made a new thread for the John Doe found on Deer Island: MS - MS - Deer Island - WhtMale, 30-45, Tattoos: Scorpian, Viking, "Brendan", Clowns, "Davianna", Oct'19

Gosh, so many families waiting to hear on these id's and so many dedicated public servants working feverishly to make that happen. I can't imagine being in either position.

I may do little research on privatizing. I know nothing about it and just came across the topic googling info about our notorious backlog. We are in such dire straits here, but I hate to see us go a route that ends up making it harder on our LE to get their trial evidence, which has been the main reason for opposition.

Which part of the state do you live in? I’m in Ocean Springs. I am reaching out to Bruce Lynd to see his take on privatizing that part of the process. We had an Unidentified female found in Jackson County, Moss Point to be exact, in February 2019. No press releases, not in NAMUS. I’m sure she is in NCIC now (Darren Versiga who is a lieutenant with Pascagoula Police helps to investigate all Unidentified remains in our area) Darren Versiga is helping them now he said.
The woman who runs the Mississippi Missing and Unidentified page on FB posted about it.
(there could be news articles about a suspicious death or someone found but they have never publicly stated she is still Unidentified.

Sorry for the rant! All this to say, I hope we get some resolution to the problems with the system currently in place!

Which part of the state do you live in? I’m in Ocean Springs. I am reaching out to Bruce Lynd to see his take on privatizing that part of the process. We had an Unidentified female found in Jackson County, Moss Point to be exact, in February 2019. No press releases, not in NAMUS. I’m sure she is in NCIC now (Darren Versiga who is a lieutenant with Pascagoula Police helps to investigate all Unidentified remains in our area) Darren Versiga is helping them now he said.
The woman who runs the Mississippi Missing and Unidentified page on FB posted about it.
(there could be news articles about a suspicious death or someone found but they have never publicly stated she is still Unidentified.

Sorry for the rant! All this to say, I hope we get some resolution to the problems with the system currently in place!

No apologies necessary! This is a problem of epic proportions and something has got to give. I hope you are able to gain some insight from your sources. I am in central MS, by the way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee
Back