MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, found burned near her car, Panola County, 6 Dec 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the size of the town, that gas station might well have the only flatbed wrecker in town - at any rate, it appears that the driver stopped at the garage on route to wherever they eventually took the car.

BBM That's exactly what would happen in our town. There is one flatbed wrecker service to call and they get called out. Hubby and I have worked at first responders and we always call that one guy (who we know well) to come to the scene and hubby even helps "Joe" (not his name obviously) secure the wreck and get it onto the wrecker and even helps clean up the scene.

However, in Louisiana, when there is a fatality in a wreck (not saying this was a wreck but it was something close enough looking to a wreck to garner the same procedure), it automatically means that state police come to the scene and take over. Our local guys assist and do our usual part but the state police takes over the investigation with pics, surveys and all sorts of other investigative methods.

The crime scene is listed as 2352 Herron Rd (34.236653, -89.954356). A few feet NE of that location, and on the opposite side of Herron Rd, is another gated location; it is listed as 2364 Herron Rd (34.235999, -89.953285). There is a sign at 2364 listed to a ROWSEY.

Googling ROWSEY in Courtland provides listings for an agricultural farm, soybeans, live stock, cotton fields etc. However that location is 788 Herron Rd (34.218671, -89.987836), SE of the crime scene, 4.3 miles away (8 mins by car) -- a very long crow's flight from the ROWSEY sign.

On the other hand, if you zoom the 2364 coordinates you will note that there is a small building inside 2364, behind the locked gate. That structure is approximately 448.32 ft away from the crime scene.

Other than the small building there does not appear to be anything significant between the 788 Herron Rd farm and the small building, other than (a) fields, (b) a house at 34.228764, -89.970488, (c) a house 34.227693, -89.979115, (d) a barn? 34.228573, -89.979008, and (e) a few other houses.

With regards to the crime scene, there is nothing behind the locked gate except woodlands....

I mention this only because I can not post the relevant images due to the editor-malfunction, and because I wasted a lot of time trying to post a simple image.

All this could help to dispel/or augment the belief that a party may have existed behind the locked gates, or at nearby houses.

The nearest housing is on Courtney Village Dr. (34.237698, -89.950620) approximately 1100 feet NE of the crime scene (or 0.2 miles) away.

Hey bessie.Thank you so much for keeping the thread focused on being helpful. I admire you for it and the wisdom you bring to bear, always. You mods do a fantastic job, so more power to you in your good works. Keep aspiring higher as you do inspire and it is much appreciated, besides being a great corroborative exchange and clearing house for the free flow of information.
~ * ~​
Chambers' cousin Sherry Willis repeated that plea before Saturday's vigil started.
"I'm hoping someone will break," she said. "We will not stop at anything to find out who did this. This happened to all of us."
BBM from here: by Clay Chandler, The (Jackson, Miss.) Clarion-Ledger 12 p.m. EST December 14, 2014 http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/nation/2014/12/14/burned-teen-vigil/20396499/

BTW, The portion footage clearing the white striped sweater guy, though he still seems very different then the original view of the big white striped guy, in these previously posted versions here, http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?265018-MS-Jessica-Chambers-19-found-burned-near-her-car-Panola-County-Dec-2014-2&p=11301122#post11301122 now screen grabbed to show him at the counter, going to the pump, with the same cars and people in the background as captured in the rest of the video, and walking away just as Jessica Chambers bends down before going into the store.
Screenshot 2014-12-14 at 12.27.42 PM - Edited.png,Screenshot 2014-12-14 at 12.29.00 PM - Edited.pngScreenshot 2014-12-14 at 12.47.40 PM - Edited.pngScreenshot 2014-12-14 at 12.48.15 PM - Edited.png

RSBM. Goody's Dept store in Batesville. I included it (and link) on my map HERE

Skibaboo
Thanks for this info & including on map.

This listing of Batesville businesses does not include Goody's Dept store.

"Businesses in Batesville, MSNameCountNameCountAT&T1Nike5Ace Hardware1Payless1AutoZone1Pizza Hut1Burger King1Popeyes1Cracker Barrel1Quality1Curves1Ramada1Days Inn2Rue211Domino's Pizza1SAS Shoes1DressBarn1SONIC Drive-In1Econo Lodge1Sears1FedEx3Subway3GameStop1T-Mobile1Goodwill9Taco Bell1H&R Block1True Value1Hardee's1U-Haul2Holiday Inn1UPS3KFC1Waffle House1Kroger1Walgreens1Lowe's1Walmart1McDonald's2Wendy's
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Batesville-Mississippi.html#ixzz3LthJWpnE
- has in table format, waaaaay toward bottom of website.

BBM, I agree so much with your post!

Also jumping into the convo about the picture of Jessica's car on the flatbed tow truck, IF the vehicle was stopped at the gas station en route to the police impound lot, that is unbelievably negligent on the part of LE (or whomever towed the vehicle). This is especially true if that gas station owned the only tow truck in town, you cannot park evidence in front of a place just because the place owns the tow truck, you simply cannot. You take evidence to the LE impound lot immediately. Period.

Being a law student, I know I still have that "this is the perfect way to handle things" mentality where I think the way it's been taught to me is the way it works in RL. But even adjusting for that optimism, removing the car from the scene that quickly, and then taking it past the gas station (at least slow enough to allow for a clear picture to be taken) could compromise this entire case, and LE should know that. At the VERY LEAST, you cover the evidence. Picture at this link: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/burned-teen-told-cops-killer-died-family-article-1.2039398

Do they even have pictures of the scene from before the vehicle was removed? Surely they must. As it stands we cannot tell which tire tracks are the tow truck's, which are Jessica's, whether there was another vehicle...that would compromise so much of the crime scene. And when the car on flatbed picture made it to SM, IMO no one should have even known a crime occurred at that point (as opposed to an accident/natural fire). The victim surely should not have been named at that point, and the information on the manner of death should not have been known to anyone but the officers and fire dept. I can't figure out how this information was escalating on SM mere hours after Jessica's tragic death.

JMO but this happened on a Saturday night in small town America with the party gas station 1 mile from the crime. Fire trucks (and in my area that would include every fireman in their own vehicle with flashing lights), sirens, law officers whizzing by with flashing lights, ambulance ??, tow truck, helicopter ??, people following all this activity, then throw in the cell phones and this was spreading quickly would be my guess. If they had not removed the vehicle, it likely would have been more tampered with by morning.

Does anyone think the house fire was associated in any way to this crime? What does anyone know about that fire? Like who, where, anyone hurt, arson?

JMO but this happened on a Saturday night in small town America with the party gas station 1 mile from the crime. Fire trucks (and in my area that would include every fireman in their own vehicle with flashing lights), sirens, law officers whizzing by with flashing lights, ambulance ??, tow truck, helicopter ??, people following all this activity, then throw in the cell phones and this was spreading quickly would be my guess. If they had not removed the vehicle, it likely would have been more tampered with by morning.

Does anyone think the house fire was associated in any way to this crime? What does anyone know about that fire? Like who, where, anyone hurt, arson?

I see what you mean with how much attention the scene would get from the townspeople, and I know rumors would be flying in that situation and heck, maybe people did know 3 hours later exactly what was suspected to have happened and to whom, I've just never seen criminal facts spread that quickly, and I'm from a small town myself. I never meant to suggest they should leave the car unattended, just that IMO they shouldn't have been finished with their analysis of the scene (and thus, should have still been on the scene with the car and yellow tape) later than approx. 11PM. And that a sheet should have covered the vehicle until it was in the LE impound lot. All MOO, MEO, and based on my criminal law education.

Skibaboo
Thanks for this info & including on map.

This listing of Batesville businesses does not include Goody's Dept store.

"Businesses in Batesville, MSNameCountNameCountAT&T1Nike5Ace Hardware1Payless1AutoZone1Pizza Hut1Burger King1Popeyes1Cracker Barrel1Quality1Curves1Ramada1Days Inn2Rue211Domino's Pizza1SAS Shoes1DressBarn1SONIC Drive-In1Econo Lodge1Sears1FedEx3Subway3GameStop1T-Mobile1Goodwill9Taco Bell1H&R Block1True Value1Hardee's1U-Haul2Holiday Inn1UPS3KFC1Waffle House1Kroger1Walgreens1Lowe's1Walmart1McDonald's2Wendy's
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Batesville-Mississippi.html#ixzz3LthJWpnE
- has in table format, waaaaay toward bottom of website.

It's here, looks like it might be fairly new?

goodys.jpg

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Batesville,+MS,+USA/@34.3119715,-89.9301221,3a,30y,59.41h,90.15t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1ssaXjo5FF6qar8W9g4537iQ!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x88801caf9caf0009:0x24200468e3030b3a

The crime scene is listed as 2352 Herron Rd (34.236653, -89.954356). A few feet NE of that location, and on the opposite side of Herron Rd, is another gated location; it is listed as 2364 Herron Rd (34.235999, -89.953285). There is a sign at 2364 listed to a ROWSEY.

Googling ROWSEY in Courtland provides listings for an agricultural farm, soybeans, live stock, cotton fields etc. However that location is 788 Herron Rd (34.218671, -89.987836), SE of the crime scene, 4.3 miles away (8 mins by car) -- a very long crow's flight from the ROWSEY sign.

On the other hand, if you zoom the 2364 coordinates you will note that there is a small building inside 2364, behind the locked gate. That structure is approximately 448.32 ft away from the crime scene.

Other than the small building there does not appear to be anything significant between the 788 Herron Rd farm and the small building, other than (a) fields, (b) a house at 34.228764, -89.970488, (c) a house 34.227693, -89.979115, (d) a barn? 34.228573, -89.979008, and (e) a few other houses.

With regards to the crime scene, there is nothing behind the locked gate except woodlands....

I mention this only because I can not post the relevant images due to the editor-malfunction, and because I wasted a lot of time trying to post a simple image.

All this could help to dispel/or augment the belief that a party may have existed behind the locked gates, or at nearby houses.

The nearest housing is on Courtney Village Dr. (34.237698, -89.950620) approximately 1100 feet NE of the crime scene (or 0.2 miles) away.

Have you tried the basic uploader? I am not having any problems uploading images. Alternatively you could upload the images to photobucket, imageshack, etc and just insert the image URL inbetween image tags that works too
(just make sure they don't blow margins)

From what i understand, he did not contact LE. A reporter was the one to find out about the video footage at the gas station and got it and reported on it, which is how LE found out about it.

<modsnip>

Perhaps odd to say but if i were the police, I would be checking the inventory of the store that is sold frequently. Store like that which sell lots of odd items like copper dish scrubbers are a sure sign of drug activity going on. Those copper scrubbers are used as a screen or filter is glass pipes for smoking certain drugs. ( I used to wonder why a local store (in New Orleans) sold so man of those along with these stupid cheap tiny roses that are sold in a glass tube for $1. They are glass pipes! The tiny rose is just a ruse to make them look like a stupid novelty item.

This is a total and very assumptive wild guess on my part, that I have nothing to base it on other than the activities you see around the station, and the demeanor and attitude of the clerk in the way he chose to release the information (which reminds me of a local case in our area with a similar character involved who was a drug distributor. Young and out of reach with a ticket home as soon as the heat was on). It may be worth LE's looking into as a front for a heroine distribution hub, I agree with your post. That being said, I don't think the station activities, per say, has anything to do with her murder. Whomever may have been in her car may have been where she went to get her car cleaned or thereafter.

I'm reading articles now trying to discern when it was that the gas station owner, Ali, spoke with LE. Does anyone know if he came forward right away with his video surveillance and his conversation with JC?

Someone may have answered this but I read that he did not go to LE with the surveillance video, that reporters got to it first. Not sure if that is reliable info. Saw it in some article mentioned in this thread.

Someone here commented about other Courtland fire on same night as Jessica's death.
Appears multiple FD calls on one day would be unusual in Courtland.

Old info, not sure if/how relevant, but here we go:

Re Courtland,
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
Fire: 46
Hazardous Condition: 1
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Courtland-Mississippi.html#ixzz3LtlkrAa4

Re Batesville 2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
Somewhat O/T
SwampMama & other First Responders- I imagine you've seen these kinds of reports before.
I am amazed at details reported and tracked re fire incidents. Thank you for your service.
http://www.city-data.com/fire/fire-Courtland-Mississippi.html
http://www.city-data.com/fire/fire-Courtland-Mississippi.html

I've opened a media thread. Please feel free to post your MSM links there. Please remember, it is a non-discussion thread -- no comments; links and brief snips only.

Thanks.
MS - Jessica Chambers,19, Panola County, Dec 2014**Media Thread***NO DISCUSSION**

Someone may have answered this but I read that he did not go to LE with the surveillance video, that reporters got to it first. Not sure if that is reliable info. Saw it in some article mentioned in this thread.

Thank you! Very interesting!

If there was illegal activity going on at the station (even if totally unrelated to this case), I doubt if the owner would have wanted to give surveillance tapes possibly documenting that illegal behavior to the cops. No surprise he didn't volunteer them.

I just wanted to thank everyone who has furnished maps. Those are very helpful!!!

I find it troubling that the Tow Truck Driver stopped in at the Quick Stop Gas Station on the way to the police impound lot. Even though it's on the way to Batesville, why?

http://www.panolian.com/v2/content.aspx?Module=ContentItem&ID=383341&MemberID=1180

Firefighters at the Courtland Volunteer Fire Department were cleaning up after responding to a house fire Saturday night when they received a call at 8:12 p.m. about a car on fire about a mile away, just outside Courtland corporate limits. A passing motorist had discovered the blazing car near 3448 Herron Road.

The three firefighters immediately remounted their truck and drove to the scene where they found the vehicle still ablaze

Striped shirt dude cut out of video then 2 fires....:thinking:

Interesting building with vehicles located behind gate, down Courtney Village Dr. where JC's car was found....

Google Map

Good point - I think I remember seeing that it only took about 3 minutes to get from the house to the car, if so, it must have been within a couple miles. It would be interesting to know more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddie01134