MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, Panola County, 6 Dec 2014 ; Quinton Tellis Indicted - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would still love to find a connection between them. I still don't buy it.

:cow:
We're unfortunately still in the dark and do not yet know what the PC Grand Jury already knows. I've gotta believe that Darby and his state and federal investigative help came up with something pretty damning, otherwise the indictment would not have been handed down. Nor would DA Champion have even gone to them, since he seems like he would not buy into something he could not prove -- even asked for a consensus from other prosecutors who agreed he had a good case. I think Jessica made a few mistakes during her young life, but unfortunately befriending the wrong fellow proved to be a fatal one.

Despite the locale and the black-on-white crime, I have to agree with Therese Apel of the Clarion-Ledger, and do not detect an ounce of racism here. By all accounts, it seems to have been a crime of passion by a spurned boyfriend, nothing more. Many of you WebSleuths detected this early on.

MOO

Agreed, agreed, and agreed. Once again, anybody have any info on Mrs. Tellis? I still don't buy that he (or whoever) did this alone, and I still find it mighty coincidental that they moved & jumped the broom so shortly thereafter. SM sleuthers, whatcha got? TIA :thinking:

We're unfortunately still in the dark and do not yet know what the PC Grand Jury already knows. I've gotta believe that Darby and his state and federal investigative help came up with something pretty damning, otherwise the indictment would not have been handed down. Nor would DA Champion have even gone to them, since he seems like he would not buy into something he could not prove -- even asked for a consensus from other prosecutors who agreed he had a good case. I think Jessica made a few mistakes during her young life, but unfortunately befriending the wrong fellow proved to be a fatal one.

Despite the locale and the black-on-white crime, I have to agree with Therese Apel of the Clarion-Ledger, and do not detect an ounce of racism here. By all accounts, it seems to have been a crime of passion by a spurned boyfriend, nothing more. Many of you WebSleuths detected this early on.

MOO

Agreed, agreed, and agreed. Once again, anybody have any info on Mrs. Tellis? I still don't buy that he (or whoever) did this alone, and I still find it mighty coincidental that they moved & jumped the broom so shortly thereafter. SM sleuthers, whatcha got? TIA :thinking:

Murder, move, murder, marry -- does seem like a busy schedule. Onomatopoeia, repetition of the initial consonant sound. I knew in 4th grade if I just held onto that beautiful sounding word long enough, I'd find a place to use it.

Sorry, no SM sleuthing skills at this end. I have a FB account just to keep up with neighborhood events, no fwends A-tall. Too much sharing of information, IMO. Posting some nice photos of your vacation in Disney World, real time? Why is that unmarked van backed up to your garage door?

:moo:

Sorry I'm on the Tapatalk app and I don't know how to use the proper way to put a quote up. :-/ "In pre-trial hearings for Quinton Tellis on Monday, 4th Judicial District Judge Larry Jefferson prohibited the discussion of "murder" and "alleged murder" in connection with two other cases tied to the defendant to prevent prejudicing the jury." http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...ry-selection-begin-monday-afternoon/84145164/

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

I'm hoping the prosecutor had anticipated the judge could make such a decision, and the case can stand on it's own merit.

Jessica's was the first case I ever followed here at WS every single day, so I think its only right I post here for my first post.
I was glad to see an arrest and indictment in her case, but the perp was no where in our sights here.

Hopefully, once the trial gets under way there will be answers for her family and some peace for them when its finally over.
I hope they put him away. forever.

RIP Jessica

Welcome, Kamy! This is also the first case that I have followed from beginning to end, on an almost daily basis, on this website. It really did suck me in as well. It looks like he is facing life as a habitual offender for the weed charge alone (in LA), so further convictions for these 2 murders would be icing on the cake, assuring no parole, and most importantly, closure for these families. Personally, I want for each separate murder case to unfold in trial without plea agreements in place, so that we can all gain a better understanding of the who's, what's, when's, where's, and why's. Mostly, I want to know who else was involved. I am not of the belief that he murdered JC alone, and if he did murder Mandy solo, he was not the only person to reap the rewards of her murder/robbery. I am interested to see if other involved persons are brought to justice as well.

I'm hoping the prosecutor had anticipated the judge could make such a decision, and the case can stand on it's own merit.

Jessica's was the first case I ever followed here at WS every single day, so I think its only right I post here for my first post.
I was glad to see an arrest and indictment in her case, but the perp was no where in our sights here.

Hopefully, once the trial gets under way there will be answers for her family and some peace for them when its finally over.
I hope they put him away. forever.

RIP Jessica

Welcome, Kamy! This is also the first case that I have followed from beginning to end, on an almost daily basis, on this website. It really did suck me in as well. It looks like he is facing life as a habitual offender for the weed charge alone (in LA), so further convictions for these 2 murders would be icing on the cake, assuring no parole, and most importantly, closure for these families. Personally, I want for each separate murder case to unfold in trial without plea agreements in place, so that we can all gain a better understanding of the who's, what's, when's, where's, and why's. Mostly, I want to know who else was involved. I am not of the belief that he murdered JC alone, and if he did murder Mandy solo, he was not the only person to reap the rewards of her murder/robbery. I am interested to see if other involved persons are brought to justice as well.

You are right. With Jessica, someone hooked them up. He didn't just randomly pick her up at the gas station. A conspiracy is my opinion. That would account for the complete silence in that community after all that time. Not ONE person in that tiny town had any knowledge that he knew her?

NOPE. They ALL knew IMO.

It's still bigger than a lover's spat.
The interviews & the videos - they were all afraid and pretending they were baffled.

MOO

Now that I think back, I agree. I think some knew what happened - not that they were there, but all it took was for one person to know they saw each other and word spread
after she was found.

I thought I saw where someone said his trailer was right behind the M&M store...could the woman (can't remember her name) who called Jessica out of camera view
at the M&M when she was gassing up, have told her he was there and wanted to meet her? That way there wouldn't have been a phone call and he would not have been
on camera, but it would account for their phones pinging at the same place...with no texts or calls.....just a thought I had.

Now that I think back, I agree. I think some knew what happened - not that they were there, but all it took was for one person to know they saw each other and word spread
after she was found.

I thought I saw where someone said his trailer was right behind the M&M store...could the woman (can't remember her name) who called Jessica out of camera view
at the M&M when she was gassing up, have told her he was there and wanted to meet her? That way there wouldn't have been a phone call and he would not have been
on camera, but it would account for their phones pinging at the same place...with no texts or calls.....just a thought I had.

Yup. And in the very beginning it was said that her phone would tell the story.

But what happened before that night. "They had a relationship" . Nothing happens in that tiny county that no one knows about. There are no secrets there.

It's a major drug transport highway and stopping off point, IMO.

Highway signs, truckers, et al.

MOO

I'm hoping, because of the sadistic nature of Jessica's murder, DA Champion will feel compelled to seek the death penalty, which means no plea bargained life-without-parole that would by default keep a lid on details of what LE found out. Didn't the DA say he would make a decision after consulting with Jessica's family? I can't see either of her parents not wanting capital punishment for such a dispicable crime. Since he is about to get sentenced (IMO) to a repeat offender jail term in LA, and will almost assuredly face murder charges in Ouachita Parish in the future, it would be low risk to go for broke, since the chance of his walking, even if the petit jury should disagree with the grand jury, is nil.

I know there are many arguments against capital punishment. For one thing, it is irreversible if an error is found later. But I can assure you, if Tellis is ultimately convicted and sentenced to die by Panola County citizens, he will have the benefit of at least ten years of automatic and other appeals to get things right. As a Protestant, I do not agree with the Catholic Church's teaching on this. I feel the deterrent effect of being executed has a mitigating effect on at least some criminals who might kill otherwise -- not all but some.

JMO

p.s Kamy, I join with Steleheart and MSCJgrad in welcoming your "surfacing" here on Websleuths after following the case so long. I, too, joined the posters here about a month after the murder. What a great group of folks. Wish we could have gotten to know each other under better circumstances.

Sorry I'm on the Tapatalk app and I don't know how to use the proper way to put a quote up. :-/ "In pre-trial hearings for Quinton Tellis on Monday, 4th Judicial District Judge Larry Jefferson prohibited the discussion of "murder" and "alleged murder" in connection with two other cases tied to the defendant to prevent prejudicing the jury." http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...ry-selection-begin-monday-afternoon/84145164/

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

No guarantee, but try this next time:

{QUOTE=source xyz} blah, blah, blah {/QUOTE}
...Except instead of curly-que brackets, use square ones "[" and "]" -- I didn't here for obvious reasons.

newspaper said:
Testing, eins, zwei, drei.

Further, seeing as her murder was in the commission of another felony (arson), DA has no choice but to pursue the death penalty. Unless, of course, they opt for a plea.

I'm hoping, because of the sadistic nature of Jessica's murder, DA Champion will feel compelled to seek the death penalty, which means no plea bargained life-without-parole that would by default keep a lid on details of what LE found out. Didn't the DA say he would make a decision after consulting with Jessica's family? I can't see either of her parents not wanting capital punishment for such a dispicable crime. Since he is about to get sentenced (IMO) to a repeat offender jail term in LA, and will almost assuredly face murder charges in Ouachita Parish in the future, it would be low risk to go for broke, since the chance of his walking, even if the petit jury should disagree with the grand jury, is nil.

I know there are many arguments against capital punishment. For one thing, it is irreversible if an error is found later. But I can assure you, if Tellis is ultimately convicted and sentenced to die by Panola County citizens, he will have the benefit of at least ten years of automatic and other appeals to get things right. As a Protestant, I do not agree with the Catholic Church's teaching on this. I feel the deterrent effect of being executed has a mitigating effect on at least some criminals who might kill otherwise -- not all but some.

JMO

p.s Kamy, I join with Steleheart and MSCJgrad in welcoming your "surfacing" here on Websleuths after following the case so long. I, too, joined the posters here about a month after the murder. What a great group of folks. Wish we could have gotten to know each other under better circumstances.

Well, that as quick.
http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/ne...is-pleads-guilty-debit-card-charges/84278794/
"Quinton Tellis pleaded guilty to one count of unauthorized use of an access card Thursday in 4th Judicial District Court.

A jury trial was scheduled to begin Thursday morning on the charge and one count possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute."
Tellis also agreed to waive an extradition hearing and will return to Mississippi where he will face capital murder charges in connection with the December 2014 death of Jessica Chambers, 19.

more at the link

Well, that was quick.
http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/ne...is-pleads-guilty-debit-card-charges/84278794/
"Quinton Tellis pleaded guilty to one count of unauthorized use of an access card Thursday in 4th Judicial District Court.

A jury trial was scheduled to begin Thursday morning on the charge and one count possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute."
Tellis also agreed to waive an extradition hearing and will return to Mississippi where he will face capital murder charges in connection with the December 2014 death of Jessica Chambers, 19.

more at the link

What if he decides to do the same thing in Batesville? No trial, no closure, IMO.

I'm stinging and nosy. I HOPE he isn't offered a plea in MS. Would the DA discuss with family and make that decision of an offer versus no offer based on family's wishes?

Glad to see he will be heading there and likely in reasonable timing.

I know that this is unpopular, but I am thinking that a proper defense attorney will have a field day with this case. Since we never did know any details, and still don't, I remain suspicious of this investigation. I hope that they really have it right, for everyone's sake, but I hope that this is not a convenient way of finally putting it all to rest. JMO

Yep. This wouldn't be the first time.

JMO

I did want to comment on this, not to start a religious debate and let's please not do that here, but as a Catholic the actual teaching, like the just war doctrine, is that capital punishment is sometimes necessary. That's in the Catechism, the official statement of the Catholic Faith. The recent Popes have issued their opinion against both capital punishment and most wars. Those opinions are not doctrine but rather dogmatic principles.

Just MOO

Jessica Chamber's father waits for accused murderer's trial

"PANOLA CO, MS (WMC) -
Jessica Chamber's father, Ben Chambers, said he is patiently waiting for Quinton Tellis to be back in Mississippi. Investigators said Tellis burned Jessica Chambers alive in December 2014.
"Its going to be hard, me sitting with him in the same room. That's my biggest fear," Ben Chambers said. "You have to have a soul to get forgiveness. A man that does what he does doesn't have a soul."

http://www.wdam.com/story/31971278/jessica-chambers-father-waits-for-accused-murderers-trial

Jessica Chamber's father waits for accused murderer's trial

"PANOLA CO, MS (WMC) -
Jessica Chamber's father, Ben Chambers, said he is patiently waiting for Quinton Tellis to be back in Mississippi. Investigators said Tellis burned Jessica Chambers alive in December 2014.
"Its going to be hard, me sitting with him in the same room. That's my biggest fear," Ben Chambers said. "You have to have a soul to get forgiveness. A man that does what he does doesn't have a soul."

http://www.wdam.com/story/31971278/jessica-chambers-father-waits-for-accused-murderers-trial

I understand Ben's message completely, even sympathize with it, but I do take issue with his theology. Everyone has a soul, an eternal one, one which survives our relatively brief mortal lives in the here and now. What comes next is entirely up to each one of us, including any cold-blooded murderers among us. It's not the first death we need to fear so much as the second one.

There's still some time left, Mr. Tellis, to make things right, not with us, but with you-know-who -- before the first death (at which point all accounts are closed).

MRO (my religion only)

Revelation 21:8: "The cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars – their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death".
:tos:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member