MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, Panola County, Dec 2014 #3 *MISTRIAL*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG the Judge was calling all the Jurors names as he polled the Jury! Never heard that before! Listening to LawNewz replay of it!

Maybe the next time one of the juror's requirements should be that they know what the word unanimous means.

At this point a mistrial might be a relief. This jury is not equipped or able to follow instructions.

The defense is going to fight for a mistrial over this, but I doubt the judge will allow it. He instructed them again, but not sure if he fully got through to them.

If they come back again and cannot reach a decision, then yes... mistrial.

I am totally befuddled by this jury. Is it just the foreman who is inept, or do none of them understand what a unanimous verdict means, and that they don’t get to keep coming back into court with a “verdict” that is not properly done? Honestly, I can’t believe what we are seeing/reading! This is insane....

If by some miracle they all agree on a guilty verdict , would the previous 2 hiccups in delivering the verdict be grounds for appeal ?

Hope this time they understand they have to all agree.

They probably have no experience with trials.

And didn't understand the meaning of the word and didn't ask.

I suspect many words used in the pattern jury instructions are beyond the jury's understanding. Judge was using the word, "erroneous." I immediately thought they probably don't know what the judge is talking about.

I wonder how many of them even realize at this point they all need to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by watergirl62 View Post
Why is judge calling jurors by name when asking them to say their verdict out loud??

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

Because they completely differed from what the paper he received said!! These jurors are NOT SMART. This poor judge. He has amazing restraint. I wonder if anything like this has ever happened to him.

No TTF14, it was asked for the Jury to be polled (very common ) But the paperwork said NG. When they were being polled the Judge called out ea jurors last name. I personally have NEVER heard that done. Where the Judge identified the jurors. WOW Just WOW. Now they will have a target on their head one way or another. I would be so upset. Not only because of the names but it identified the incompetence JMHO

looks like they are confusing 'unanimous' with 'majority'.

I suspect many words used in the pattern jury instructions are beyond the jury's understanding. Judge was using the word, "erroneous." I immediately thought they probably don't know what the judge is talking about.

I wonder how many of them even realize at this point they all need to agree.

I very much agree. When he read these last instructions to them, I said the same thing to myself!

No TTF14, it was asked for the Jury to be polled (very common ) But the paperwork said NG. When they were being polled the Judge called out ea jurors last name. I personally have NEVER heard that done. Where the Judge identified the jurors. WOW Just WOW. Now they will have a target on their head one way or another. I would be so upset. Not only because of the names but it identified the incompetence JMHO

Ive always seen individual polling but not by name here in Mississippi. Verifies the form, as was obviously important here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they were deadlocked you send a note out to the Judge. You don't fill out a verdict form! Good grief.

Wonder if they all agreed in the Jury Room then changed. This is nuts.

Even if just 1 differs it still a hung jury. That was my vote from start but never thought this :scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ND84