GUILTY MS - Linda Reed for embezzlement, Copiah County, 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If she was embezzling money and disappeared on her own, she would need a car, ID, etc. So wouldn't she likely have required assistance from someone else?

Another thought, maybe the owner, Shannon Moore, embezzled, and had something else to hide; maybe a gambling problem, a mistress, blackmail, or some kind of criminal activity ? :waitasec:

Missing Copiah County woman under investigation for possible embezzlement

4:47 PM, May. 15, 2012

The owner of a business that employed missing Copiah County woman Linda Reed confirmed Tuesday that he is working with law enforcement to find out if it’s possible that she could have been embezzling money before she disappeared.
Shannon Moore, of Moore’s Fabrications in Gallman, said Reed has worked for him since 1999. She had check-signing authority over his business, he said.

http://www.clarionledger.com/articl...pected-possible-embezzlement?odyssey=nav|head

This discrepancy is really bugging me. So I e-mailed AMW and asked them about it. Who knows, hopefully, maybe, I'll hear something back from them. :sigh:

Quote:
Security footage shows her leaving the Walmart at 9:30 p.m. After that, cops have no idea where she went or what happened to her.

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=79988

I read that a few pages back
has that been reported by more than one source?
Could it be an error?

I think the owner, Shannon Moore, is a "he."

I think the owner, Shannon Moore, is a "he."
That's correct. His wife only gave her name as "S. Moore". I wonder if her name is Shannon too? Kinda weird that she was only listed with a first initial.

I have to say I really feel for this business owner. I am sure he is totally caught off guard.

I know here in our town, where we have yearly audits, a recent financial scandal developed. The SBI got involved and we still don't the outcome. The CFO was a long-time employee with an excellent record. Others in the office were also well-liked and respected. So I know that its possible for something amiss to be discovered, even after years of stability and audits.

I just find it unusual that a 65 y/o woman would leave her entire family behind without a word.
I don't recall reading that there were marital issues or that she was unhappy
Just up and leave your family without a care about what they are feeling?

And how long would she be planning this?

Didn't anybody in her family have a sense that something was wrong?

hmmm, interesting turn of events.... money missing

The owner never noticed any discrepancies over thirteen years and now he does and Mrs Reed is missing.

This can certainly go either way... she took the money and ran or she found money missing and approached someone about it

Another reason why it would be useful to know what she purchased in wal-mart, was it items that someone would buy if they were intending on going into hiding for awhile, like tinned food ect, we know that a blanket was found in her car and if someone was going to hole up somewhere that would be an item that they would need IMO..

I have to say I really feel for this business owner. I am sure he is totally caught off guard.

I know here in our town, where we have yearly audits, a recent financial scandal developed. The SBI got involved and we still don't the outcome. The CFO was a long-time employee with an excellent record. Others in the office were also well-liked and respected. So I know that its possible for something amiss to be discovered, even after years of stability and audits.

And its not just in small buisnesses, we have had rouge traders defrauding global merchant banks, sometimes for years before being discovered, losing millions..

I just find it unusual that a 65 y/o woman would leave her entire family behind without a word.
I don't recall reading that there were marital issues or that she was unhappy
Just up and leave your family without a care about what they are feeling?

And how long would she be planning this?

Didn't anybody in her family have a sense that something was wrong?

It would be interesting to know just how much money is involved, maybe it was planned by more than one person.JMO

dsntslp, where do your mileages come from? I don't understand. And I don't think 2 of your locations are correct. Could you help me out?
The google link for the map I used posted in same post. HTH
The cities I used (shooting locations) are in MSM links that were posted above the map link I posted. (IOW, posts further back in the read) HTH

I was hoping for more information today, especially concerning the money. If money is missing, I would lean more towards a walk-away disappearance. The weird thing for me is that all of her credit cards and cash were in her purse in the vehicle.

I also want to know where the fake tooth came from. Very strange...

Does anyone know about this small business she worked for? It would be one thing to embezzle a hundred here or a hundred there (in a small business) but thousands would be noticed IMHO- I think it would be harder to embezzle the kind of money that would make it worth your while to disappear and have it not noticed by the boss.

If you are aged 65 and have a family you love, I would assume you would need a lot of $$$ to make you gone. $500,000 plus? That kind of cash would be noticed by a small business person. So I doubt she had taken much. So I don't think you would run away with $15k, for example, stage an abduction of some sort and then run away.
Of course, if she had a drug or drinking habit and had embezzled small amounts out of desperation, that would be a different story.

The tooth from her dentures are what really points me to something bad happening to her rather than her walking away. Someone hit her, hard and broke them.

Does anyone know about this small business she worked for? It would be one thing to embezzle a hundred here or a hundred there (in a small business) but thousands would be noticed IMHO- I think it would be harder to embezzle the kind of money that would make it worth your while to disappear and have it not noticed by the boss.

If you are aged 65 and have a family you love, I would assume you would need a lot of $$$ to make you gone. $500,000 plus? That kind of cash would be noticed by a small business person. So I doubt she had taken much. So I don't think you would run away with $15k, for example, stage an abduction of some sort and then run away.
Of course, if she had a drug or drinking habit and had embezzled small amounts out of desperation, that would be a different story.

The tooth from her dentures are what really points me to something bad happening to her rather than her walking away. Someone hit her, hard and broke them.

I don't have experience with a partial personally, but used to work in the dental field, and occasionally we'd have to reattach a tooth to one. If I remember correctly you get a temporary partial while the good one is being made? Maybe it's from an old partial or temporary one maybe? Anybody jump right in, it's been a long time since I've worked in the dental field.

Easy to break the seal sometimes, she could have taken out, struck on any solid surface to knock a tooth off. Then again, have they contacted the dentist that made her partial to see if he can identify as belonging to her - is it type/brand he uses, correct size according to molds maybe, and or correct shade of tooth chosen according to his records?

She looks like a lady that takes care of her appearance, I'd vote for old partial destroyed to look like struggle as opposed to current partial. I'd think most ladies would rather prick their finger and bleed a little bit than ruin their smile. :waitasec:

Just playing devil's advocate here.

I don't know what to make of this latest news about possible embezzlement. I hope it's not true, seems like she has a loving son and husband, but who knows what goes on behind closed doors?

I just wonder who she kept company with during the work week. That might help investigation a bit. I almost wish they'd investigated the books before stating possible embezzlement, because you know if she's cleared, someone's not going to get the story straight, and "she embezzled" will be all they will talk about.

We see that here on WS all the time with misinterpretation and sloppy reporting or misreporting by media etc... Easy to do. :moo:

I do think you'd need a substantial sum. If she's worked with this company for years, and has been trusted by the boss and other businesses around town, how close would they look with no prior hint of impropriety?

She's retirement age - why would she take off and not be able to draw from what's she worked hard for by disappearing unless she had quite a tidy sum stashed away? Seems out of character to me, and by bookkeeping standards, not very practical. Wouldn't a person just siphon an amt that wouldn't really raise red flags without close scrutiny from all the businesses and just retire?

Drugs or drinking habit maybe, but gambling breaks up a lot of families too.

I'd still like to know if she went home EVERY weekend, or was she maybe not going home quite as frequently? That might point to her withdrawing from her former life and easing into a new one.

As I said before, just speculating...

Regardless, I hope she's found ok, and soon. :please:
JMHOO

I just have a bad feeling she "caught" someone doing something wrong........and they did something to her..i hope not

I just have a bad feeling she "caught" someone doing something wrong........and they did something to her..i hope not

I said that early on - afraid that she'd run into someone or something illegal in the business on Sunday. Maybe she didn't even realize she'd seen something.

I hope not too...

It almost seems like this woman was leading two lives. She had a work life and a family life. She was so dedicated to her work life that she lived for most of each week behind the business and spent many hours at the office. I'm not sure what her duties entailed. But a "bookkeeper" doesn't need to spend that much time at the office. Sure, she had other clients. But this was clearly her main job. It says that she locked the gates almost every night. I suspect that there was a love triangle. It might have involved someone she works with or a former employee of the company or an employee of one of the other companies she worked for or just someone who lives in the area. If it was a love affair, you can figure out the possible scenarios without much trouble. And I'm not ruling out a semi-professional hit. That's probably not the wealthiest area, and I'm sure there are a few shady characters willing to do a "job" for someone for a fee.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat
Back