GUILTY MS - Linda Reed for embezzlement, Copiah County, 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thinking of Linda today as she goes to court and hoping we hear something!

Mrs Reed was denied bond and the case will go before the grand jury. Her lawyer stated that Moores Fabrication did business out of a cash bag. That folks just stuck their hands in bag and got out cash, and now want to say his client stole money.

I would hope to shout she was denied bond! She's proven herself quite adept at the disappearing act.

Mrs Reed was denied bond and the case will go before the grand jury. Her lawyer stated that Moores Fabrication did business out of a cash bag. That folks just stuck their hands in bag and got out cash, and now want to say his client stole money.

Somehow this part doesn't surprise me.

I thought Linda was responsible for the 'petty cash' and to keep the cash books balanced.

If so, and if she was the one in control of the cash money, then the onus would lie on her to make sure that the correct amount is paid out and not allow people to just dip into the bag and take what they want.

Otherwise, without receipts or any records to show that the correct amounts were paid out, there is no way anything would balance. Surely she would have been aware of that early in her working career at Moores Fabrication and would have taken that up with management so as not be put in a position to be incriminated if any money went missing.

Sure, plenty enough businesses run by cash and 'hide' cash money, but even so, there is some form of accountability by the employees.

Something doesn't sound right about that...

I thought Linda was responsible for the 'petty cash' and to keep the cash books balanced.

If so, and if she was the one in control of the cash money, then the onus would lie on her to make sure that the correct amount is paid out and not allow people to just dip into the bag and take what they want.

Otherwise, without receipts or any records to show that the correct amounts were paid out, there is no way anything would balance. Surely she would have been aware of that early in her working career at Moores Fabrication and would have taken that up with management so as not be put in a position to be incriminated if any money went missing.

Sure, plenty enough businesses run by cash and 'hide' cash money, but even so, there is some form of accountability by the employees.

Something doesn't sound right about that...

This way the business was run doesn't surprise me either and was sure when they started checking the books it would be found.

The honest should fall on the owner, but Linda was aware of it also so she "accepted" it...and stayed...taking that chance in being held accountable. I can't understand if auditors were brought in why they didn't catch it sooner. Maybe they weren't. ?? Either way, she's the one that strangely disappeared and seemed to be living a double life. So much so, to ignore her whole family, including her ailing mother. It will be interesting to see what else falls from the shakedown this has caused. It's not that she couldn't quit, imo. She had a husband and family to count on, or it appears that way. I don't know the relationship they had and can't judge at this point tho...nor do we know the relationship she had with the Moore family. Sixteen years is a long employment and usually a close one in a small family business. Was it greed, had she been "used" or something else?? I mean, really, the whole living/employment situation was strange from the get go and I still firmly believe there MAY have been some hanky panky with the elder Moore father. Just speaking from what I have seen happen in working for a small family business in the past.

The family spoke of the charges being possibly dropped and may had reason to believe it was possible...soooo...it will be interesting to see what is coming down pike. IMO, JMO, etc.

Look what she put her family through! LE was tied up investigating this case. Her family thought she might have been kidnapped or may have even been killed. She wants to be home for Christmas with the same people she so carefully ran away from and chose to not see again until she was found out? She let her poor elderly Mother be heartsick and worried to death about her when all the time she was well and hiding!

It's just not that easy. I was so totally on Linda's side in this and worried for her wellbeing until I found out she had purposely disappeared. How could she have done this to the people who love her?? No. I think she should be held accountable, and I hope she is!

MOO

The family spoke of the charges being possibly dropped and may had reason to believe it was possible...soooo...it will be interesting to see what is coming down pike. IMO, JMO, etc.
I can see where you're coming from, having worked on and off for years in a small family business too, but in my case, only when they have needed extra help. It's not something I thought was wonderful being family. All sorts of shannanigans. Even so, there comes a point where everyone (maybe not so much the big boss lol) is accountable for what cash they take out of a business and balanced books (regardless how they are balanced) are a must for taxes, superannuation and so on...

I'm talking from an Australian perspective, but even so, business is business and there are certain requirements that need to be met to keep yourself relatively legal and legitimate. Otherwise you can find yourself as a business in all sorts of legal trouble.

I see they held Linda without bail, I guess maybe she is considered to be a flight risk having done so before... but it makes me wonder too what it is that makes her family feel that charges may possibly be dropped.

Just one question please... in America what does it mean and what is the implication when it said, that she will go before the grand jury?

I think she should be held accountable, and I hope she is!
I agree and it seems as if she has had a previous 'incident' made mention of in a post earlier in this thread.

hmmm...this makes me a little suspicious now...

From the Clarion Ledger:

"Jones said Reed was indicted in 1974 for forging checks. According to Hinds County Circuit Court records, a 1974 uttering forgery indictment against Reed was dismissed by the judge. She was then had the last name of McDaniel from one of her previous marriages"

http://www.clarionledger.com/articl...ing-woman-alive?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Alive MS - Linda Reed, 65, Copiah County, Believed Abducted 30 April 2012

Just one question please... in America what does it mean and what is the implication when it said, that she will go before the grand jury?

RSBM

Grand Jury: JMO, but sometimes I think it's so the DA doesn't have to hold the responsiblity if and when there is slim chance of prosecution or if all hell breaks loose in a case that the DA may be afraid of getting out. Not necessarily about him, but if he is close to any persons in the case and info about them getting out. IYKWIM.

http://campus.udayton.edu/~grandjur/faq/faq3.htm

I can see where you're coming from, having worked on and off for years in a small family business too, but in my case, only when they have needed extra help. It's not something I thought was wonderful being family. All sorts of shannanigans. Even so, there comes a point where everyone (maybe not so much the big boss lol) is accountable for what cash they take out of a business and balanced books (regardless how they are balanced) are a must for taxes, superannuation and so on...

I'm talking from an Australian perspective, but even so, business is business and there are certain requirements that need to be met to keep yourself relatively legal and legitimate. Otherwise you can find yourself as a business in all sorts of legal trouble.

I see they held Linda without bail, I guess maybe she is considered to be a flight risk having done so before... but it makes me wonder too what it is that makes her family feel that charges may possibly be dropped.

Evidence is presented and the grand jury decides whether there will or will not be an indictment.

The level of proof is rather low, which is where the old phrase comes from: that "a grand jury will indict a ham sandwich".

Although I'm fairly local, I haven't heard a word. We had one or two posters who were local to the county so wondering if y'all have heard anything at all????

Just checking in to see if there is anything new. We've not heard a word.

From mikkismom's link:

A Copiah County grand jury in January failed to indict Linda Gale Reed.

Reed's attorney says if that happens again in June, he'll petition the court to set her free.

"Don't be surprised if this lady walks out," attorney John Reeves told WLBT-TV in Jackson
snip

Copiah County Sheriff Harold Jones disagrees.

"I think the case against her is strong enough, that there's no way," Jones told the television station.

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/2013/04/30...da-gale-reed.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

Reeves said that she moved out of state is irrelevant to the case against her. But he said it's what the public gets hung up on.

"She was living in Texas under her name, her social security number, openly working two jobs and had joined a church, was in a Sunday school class and all of that," Reeves said.
It'll be interesting to see what eventuates from this and if they have enough proof to make the suspicion of embezzlement turn into a formal charge. The rest of what she did and how she did it is purely academic and isn't against the law so I can understand why she would be let go with no further charges if no financial fraud is found evident.

People do all sorts of strange things. I just found this interesting story where a Pennsylvania woman 'disappeared' 11 years ago, was eventually presumed dead but has now turned up...

<snip>

"She was very upset, she was sitting in a park crying, thinking about how she would raise her children, feeling sorry for herself," he said.

It wasn't long before she was approached by two males and a female who asked her what was wrong. After she told them what had happened, they invited her to hitchhike with them down to Florida.

"At a whim, she decided at that very moment, she would go along with them," said Schofield.

<snip>

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/01/us/pennsylvania-woman-reappears/index.html?hpt=ju_c1

I have a good friend who did similar only that there was nothing specific bothering her at the time. At age 16 she was on the way to a shop to buy milk for her mother when a car stopped with some people she knew and they told her they were travelling up north to 'Hippy Country' and if she wanted to, to join them. She, at whim, for no reason she can give other than what seemed like an adventure, something different to do, went along with them. She had no contact with her family or friends and it wasn't until 2 years later that she turned up 'out of the blue' back at home again.

However, even today, decades later, she is of a 'nomadic' type personality and hard to contact at times. Maybe there is something in some people's personality or character makeup that 'allows' them to just take off like that. Just walking off leaving it all behind and not looking back or thinking about the consequences to family and friends. It's a phenomena that both puzzles and fascinates me, yet one I can understand and in a bizarre way, relate to even though I have never done this myself.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back