Found Deceased MT - Amy Harding-Permann, 34, Great Falls, 26 Jan 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Is it just me or do others think there is something very odd about this case? No reward, minimal media, no pleas from family/friends, no prayer vigil (that I’m aware of), etc. Seems like Amy disappeared in thin air and nothing is being done to keep her name/face in front of the public other than infrequent reports from LE.

In cases where that happens, I always wonder whether the family etc. knows things that haven't been made public.

I think it’s VERY bizarre! Where are her friends? Her kids’ father? Her mom? Siblings? The boyfriend?! It’s like nobody cares. I’m kind of dumbfounded.

As someone that knew her family when I was a child, I also find it strange.
In a case that already defies patterns that are achingly common on WS (child missing/step parent evasive, wife missing/history of DV) the fact that no one is out there trying to raise awareness, organize vigils or searches, giving interviews, may be the most baffling part to me. This isn't someone who is marginalized, has no one to speak up for her. I check back every few days and . . . nothing.

I have a few thoughts (MOO x 10):

1 - Amy has done dramatic things in the past, like storming off. Parents/friends believe the storming off story. Maybe in the past boyfriend has chased her, this time, for whatever reason, he called police and she "went to far" and ended up in/too near the river with no one following to rescue.
2 - Family has decided that it is best to stay out of the media for the sake of the children. They know or suspect she is not coming back and while they aren't sure what happened, they want to keep the media storm away to shelter the children as much as possible. Dr./boyfriend is too uncomfortable to speak out (in early posts, patients of his said he was "socially odd" for lack of a better way to say it).
3 - LE knows exactly what has happened, is getting ducks in a row, has shared this with family and asked everyone to not speak to the media (like the Carol Byington case).

Any other theories?

Not sure what you are saying. Are you saying her friends & family are quiet because of his status or LE is not doing their job or do you mean something else?

Agree with rkendmar, I think LE has asked those close to Amy to keep a low profile as they investigate.

If this is the true, LE may not think this is a simple missing persons case.

Agree with rkendmar, I think LE has asked those close to Amy to keep a low profile as they investigate.

If this is the true, LE may not think this is a simple missing persons case.

They've dropped a number of hints about something like that. Like "if it turns into a homicide investigation." That might just be careful police procedure--our local cops tend to say the same thing about an unexplained death. Or it might be...something else.

Right now, since the media has completely backed off this case I really believe that this will turn out to be a suicide. LE would be using the media more, including chasing JVG around, to ramp pressure up if LE thought is was anything more than that. The silence of family and friends amplifies this.

Yes.
Amy Harding Missing (on Facebook).
It is for announcements only.
Posting has been turned off by the admin. since 01/31/20.

I actually think that is very interesting. In many other cases, people talk about the missing person, and some people have valuable knowledge about the night the person dissapeared.

Not sure why there is absolute silence in Great Falls. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what you are saying. Are you saying her friends & family are quiet because of his status or LE is not doing their job or do you mean something else?

Sorry to have been confusing. I am saying that due to the boyfriend’s professional standing in the community, LE is extra quite on the investigation of what happened at his house. In addition, being a small community, all is mum.

Imaging that Dr. X has a good reputation, people aren’t going to smear his name. IMO.

CCSO Detectives and Search and Rescue continue search for Amy Harding
  • Updated 17 hrs ago
GREAT FALLS - C-C-S-O planned to do a helicopter search this morning, but due to all the snow and cold temperatures, they canceled those plans for today. Cascade County Sheriff Jesse Slaughter says he wants to continue the search, but he does not want to put the public at risk. Right now this is a day-to-day decision and the search will continue once the weather clears up.

The Cascade County Sheriff's Office is searching for Amy Elaine Harding (AKA Permann), a 34-year-old Great Falls woman who is an OR nurse at Benefis Hospital.

Amy's missing three weeks today.

Feb 03, 2020
"He (Sheriff Slaughter) explained, “It’s called criminal justice information. If we were to give the public all that information, it could hinder our investigation or give a suspect or possible perpetrator the ability to ruin our investigation.”
Sheriff provides update on the search for Amy Harding

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crankymomma