Found Deceased MT - Amy Harding-Permann, 34, Great Falls, 26 Jan 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What was she doing to him that warranted a 911 call?
There is something missing from the story. You wouldn't immediately call 911 to report your long-time girlfriend missing after she stormed out during a fight, even if she "assaulted" you (I am assuming he didn't need any medical attention).

There is some flavoring missing in this dish...

So, she went missing on Sunday, January 26, 2020, as reported by the boyfriend. Did anyone see or hear from her on Saturday, the 25th?

Could be that the boyfriend is mistaken as to the date/time she allegedly left the house.
Excellent question. Perhaps he is mistaken.

You might let your adult, nurse, very responsible girlfriend cool-off for more than a few minutes before you called 911 on her and made things a whole lot worse.

"At a Monday afternoon news conference, Cascade County Sheriff Jesse Slaughter said deputies responded to a 911 call from the residence at 8:19 p.m. for a report of a disturbance."

"Upon arriving about 10 minutes later, law enforcement contacted the caller, John VanGilder. He stated that Harding, his girlfriend, had assaulted him and fled before deputies arrived on the scene."
[BBM and underscored by me]

Cascade County Sheriff: Missing Great Falls woman is Benefis OR nurse

How far could she possibly have walked between the time the boyfriend called 911 and when LE arrived, 10 minutes later? If it happened as reported, they would have found her after searching so quickly after she "fled."
This whole account is absurd.

From what I'm gathering, if I'm taking it correctly, is that 911 was called because of the altercation that was taking place and by the time the police arrived she had left.
Yeah but that account is pretty fishy.

I obviously don't know the extent of the alleged assault, but unless you needed medical attention, most men would let their girlfriend cool off before they called 911. Once you call 911 as a nurse or surgeon- the relationship is over and somebody might loose their professional licence. 911 is a nuclear option.

Either the situation warranted it (which I don't know) or more likely, the story is much more complicated.

Yeah but that account is pretty fishy.

I obviously don't know the extent of the alleged assault, but unless you needed medical attention, most men would let their girlfriend cool off before they called 911. Once you call 911 as a nurse or surgeon- the relationship is over and somebody might loose their professional licence. 911 is a nuclear option.

Either the situation warranted it (which I don't know) or more likely, the story is much more complicated.

Yes there are many scenarios that may have happened here. Maybe she did assault him and because he called 911, she stormed off because of how big of a deal that would be for her career. Maybe he assaulted her and she did it back to him and he called and she felt somehow trapped? I'd like to know what the initial argument was over that usually gives more info and context.

I don't have a good feeling about this and my feeling is that she is in the river. MOO

Last edited:
Just checking in. I really thought I would find that Amy either appeared on her own, or was found by the searchers today.
This is really odd, makes me suspicious of the boyfriends account of the story. Sort of like Barbara Thomas's husbands account; she rounded the bend and I never saw her after that, with a fifteen minute time lapse.

IIRC the boyfriend called 911 at 8:10pm and LE arrived fifteen minutes after that? Correct?

Just checking in. I really thought I would find that Amy either appeared on her own, or was found by the searchers today.
This is really odd, makes me suspicious of the boyfriends account of the story. Sort of like Barbara Thomas's husbands account; she rounded the bend and I never saw her after that, with a fifteen minute time lapse.

IIRC the boyfriend called 911 at 8:10pm and LE arrived fifteen minutes after that? Correct?

At a Monday afternoon news conference, Cascade County Sheriff Jesse Slaughter said deputies responded to a 911 call from the residence at 8:19 p.m. for a report of a disturbance.

Upon arriving about 10 minutes later, law enforcement contacted the caller, John VanGilder. He stated that Harding, his girlfriend, had assaulted him and fled before deputies arrived on the scene. Cascade County Sheriff: Missing Great Falls woman is Benefis OR nurse

Another question I have is where was the boyfriend that the deputies had to "call" him once they arrived on scene? I thought he was at the home that she had fled after she assaulted him?

Answering my own question, it says they "contacted" the boyfriend. But to me, "contacted" means they had to call him on the phone. Why didn't they just say that the spoke to him at his residence. (Never mind. Will shut up now.)

He called at 8:19 pm and the police showed up ten minutes after that.

Yes there are many scenarios that may have happened here. Maybe she did assault him and because he called 911, she stormed off because of how big of a deal that would be for her career. Maybe he assaulted her and she did it back to him and he called and she felt somehow trapped? I'd like to know what the initial argument was over that usually gives more info and context.
I don't have a good feeling about this and my feeling is that she is in the river. MOO
The 'river' close to their (his) residence is not the main river but a branch of the main river.
It is currently frozen.

The story has to read that the boyfriend called police to report an assault, not that she walked out the door immediately after the assault and is missing. Or the call wouldn't have been made so soon, as pointed out above. And the police don't respond to- my girlfriend just walked out the door and didn't come back.

No ambulance was called. No report of injuries.

Need a timeline of when Amy was last heard from or seen. Cell phone records, car GPS tracking, and the neighbor's surveillance videos.

The story has to read that the boyfriend called police to report an assault, not that she walked out the door immediately after the assault and is missing. Or the call wouldn't have been made so soon, as pointed out above. And the police don't respond to- my girlfriend just walked out the door and didn't come back.

No ambulance was called. No report of injuries.

Need a timeline of when Amy was last heard from or seen. Cell phone records, car GPS tracking, and the neighbor's surveillance videos.

Yes.
The BF called to report a "disturbance" at 8:19pm.
The police showed up 10 minutes later, ~8:30pm.
The BF told the police Amy had assaulted him, he called 911 and then she "fled" wearing yoga pants and a long sleeved shirt, heading toward the river.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scyna0895
Back