MT MT - Ashley Loring-HeavyRunner, 20, Browning, 5 June 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why Are Native American Women Vanishing?
There are many similar mysteries that follow a pattern: A woman or girl goes missing, there’s a community outcry, a search is launched, a reward may be offered. There may be a quick resolution. But often, there’s frustration with tribal police and federal authorities, and a feeling many cases aren’t handled urgently or thoroughly.

Montana woman's disappearance 1 of many Native American women missing or dead

Ashley HeavyRunner Loring, a 20-year-old member of the Blackfeet Nation, was last heard from around June 8, 2017. Since then her older sister, Kimberly, has been looking for her.

She has logged about 40 searches, with family from afar sometimes using Google Earth to guide her around closed roads. She's hiked in mountains, shouting her sister's name. She's trekked through fields, gingerly stepping around snakes. She's trudged through snow, rain and mud, but she can't cover the entire 1.5 million-acre reservation, an expanse larger than Delaware.

Someone mentioned a boyfriend earlier - was this someone new after her previous relationship ended?

I did not do this. Namus does this if there's a duplicate case in their system, or if the police refuse to confirm to them the information in their system. I have at least one other case where I know the person is missing, and probably doesn't have another missing person's case entered and it was deleted out of my queue. I'm assuming the police refused requests for information. I have another case where the last I can see, the person was missing and the police were looking for her, but it's been sitting in pending status since January, in my queue.

Missing Blackfeet woman’s photo used in fake Facebook profile

After a year and a half of pain and agony of not knowing where Ashley Loring Heaveyrunner is, her family is facing a new challenge.

People on the Blackfeet Reservation have recently discovered a Facebook profile that is using Ashley’s picture.

Many people have reported it as fake or spam but Facebook still has not taken it down.

Kimberly Loring wrote a statement about the fake profile.

[...]

Family of missing Blackfeet woman, Ashley HeavyRunner Loring, taking case to Congress

A year and six months after her sister disappeared, Kimberly Loring will tell Congress what went wrong in the search, where law enforcement misstepped and why the nation needs to pay attention.

The cases of missing and murdered Indigenous women has become a crisis, she'll say.

[...]

U.S. Sen. Steve Daines announced Monday that the U.S. Senate Committee on Indian Affairs will hear from Loring on Wednesday, Dec. 12, at 12:30 p.m. (Mountain Time).

Daines and US Sen. Jon Tester requested the hearing, titled "Missing and Murdered: Confronting the Silent Crisis in Indian Country."

“We face tragedies from across Montana where tribal citizens, particularly women and girls, go missing without a trace,” Daines said in a press release. “We must do all in our power to curb the crisis of American Indians and Alaska Natives who disappear and whose cases never see justice. I’m glad to see that the committee is treating this issue with the seriousness it deserves.”

U.S. Senator Jon Tester will lead the hearing, and his office noted more than 80 percent of native women have experienced violence—almost half within the last year, according to the National Institute of Justice.

Wednesday’s hearing aims to bring together law enforcement agencies, tribes, and survivors to gather testimony on the sources of this epidemic and how to end it.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
distrustHUMANS24
Back