MT MT - Ashley Loring-HeavyRunner, 20, Browning, 5 June 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My Mom grew up on the Flathead Indian Reservation. So many stories, and not good ones, from there. She became a Deputy Sheriff, the first woman ever in her county in Oregon where she moved after marrying my Dad, to do what she could to help the lost. She's the reason I became a federal agent.

7 June 2019

GREAT FALLS- Ashley Loring HeavyRunner has now been missing for two years.

For her family, it’s a nightmare that won’t end.

Kimberly Loring, Ashley’s sister, said recently it’s unbelievable she’s still looking for answers.

“I should be talking to Ashley,” she said. “But I am still looking for Ashley.”

Ashley’s cousin, Lissa Loring, said sometimes they lose their faith due to how much time has passed.

“Why is it such a small town and no one is saying anything?” she asked.

Kimberly believes something awful happened to her sister. She told MTN News there are people who know what happened.

Read more: “We are going to find you:” 2nd anniversary of Ashley Loring’s disappearance passes

5 June 2019

BROWNING- Ashley Loring HeavyRunner has been a key piece to the Missing and Murdered Indigenous People Movement and now as we approach the two year anniversary of her disappearance her family still isn’t giving up.

In an exclusive interview with us, the Loring's they tell us "there's really never a good day". It's how Jenna and Justin Loring, Ashley's aunt and uncle describe the day to day agonizing struggle to "keep on going".

Between balancing their own kids, hanging up posters around town, and conducting long searches up in the mountains- this family hasn’t given up hope. Instead, they're using Ashley's disappearance to change their outlook on life.

"Now we are very protective of our kids, I don't even let them walk 10 feet without me beside them. I keep them aware with what's going on,” said Jenna & Justin Loring, Ashley's aunt, and uncle.

Read more: ASHLEY LORING HEAVYRUNNER: Missing for two years, the Lorings share their outlook on her disappearance

5 June 2019

5cf84e266446f.image.jpg

"This needs to come to an end. It needs to be a bigger issue. We need justice. Especially both men and women,” said Jenna Loring, Ashley's aunt.

Right now, the family says their faith in God is helping them get through this painful journey.

"It plays a big role. You got to keep your faith. You have to keep praying that we get her home, we get answers and we get justice,” said Jenna.

Browning, Mont. is just one of the places where family members are still looking for their loved ones. But until they're found, those family members won't give up.

The Urban Indian Health Institute estimates there are more than 500 active cases of missing or murdered Native Women—but they even say that number is probably low due to reporting issues.

In honor of Ashley’s two-year disappearance, the Lorings are asking people to come out for her walk on June 8th, 2019 at 1:00 PM in Browning.

Two years later, Lorings still searching for HeavyRunner

Native American Women and Girls Are Missing and Murdered at Alarmingly High Rates
Lengthy, informative article with beautiful pics.
By Christa Hillstrom and Photography by Eric Ogden
"Jun 10, 2019
In June 2017, sisters Ashley and Kimberly Heavy Runner Loring were full of plans. Ashley hoped to leave her home on the Blackfeet Indian Reservation, east of Glacier National Park in Montana, later that summer for Missoula, where she would live with Kimberly while studying environmental science at the University of Montana. But while Kimberly was away for a few months getting to know her fiancé’s family in Morocco, Ashley grew despondent. The then-20-year-old was devastated following a breakup and often texted her sister for advice. “It was like her world was ending,” says Kimberly, now 25. Ashley cried more often and kept to herself. She stopped attending her classes at Blackfeet Community College and befriended a decades-older crowd, which included some who were rumored to sell and use drugs like meth. In early June, she called Kimberly, saying she needed money. Kimberly couldn’t send it from Morocco but promised she would be home in just a few days. But before Kimberly returned to Montana, Ashley vanished."

JUL 23, 2019
Native American women keep disappearing. Here are 4 of their stories.
5d32301e36e03c0d7b333498-750-563.jpg

Ashley Loring HeavyRunner, 21, disappeared from Montana's Blackfeet Indian Reservation in June 2017.

Nine months after it began, the FBI agreed in March 2018 to join the Bureau of Indian Affairs in its investigation into her case.

Bureau of Indian Affairs spokesperson Nedra Darling told ABC News that several persons of interest had been identified, though their names have been withheld from the public.

HeavyRunner's sister KL expressed disappointment at the FBI's handling of the case.

"I think if they would have taken it seriously at the beginning we could have found more info and could maybe even have found my sister," she said.

In December 2018, Ashley's family testified before Congress about her disappearance. The next day, a set of remains were discovered on the Blackfeet reservation, but subsequent tests revealed they were not those of Ashley's.

The family is offering a $15,000 reward for any information leading to the prosecution of suspects in her disappearance.

JUL 23, 2019
Native American women keep disappearing. Here are 4 of their stories.
5d32301e36e03c0d7b333498-750-563.jpg

Ashley Loring HeavyRunner, 21, disappeared from Montana's Blackfeet Indian Reservation in June 2017.

Nine months after it began, the FBI agreed in March 2018 to join the Bureau of Indian Affairs in its investigation into her case.

Bureau of Indian Affairs spokesperson Nedra Darling told ABC News that several persons of interest had been identified, though their names have been withheld from the public.

HeavyRunner's sister KL expressed disappointment at the FBI's handling of the case.

"I think if they would have taken it seriously at the beginning we could have found more info and could maybe even have found my sister," she said.

In December 2018, Ashley's family testified before Congress about her disappearance. The next day, a set of remains were discovered on the Blackfeet reservation, but subsequent tests revealed they were not those of Ashley's.

The family is offering a $15,000 reward for any information leading to the prosecution of suspects in her disappearance.
Thanks for the update, Pommy. This case is so terribly sad :( All of them are!

Thanks for the update, Pommy. This case is so terribly sad :( All of them are!

It's very sad! Last month, I stopped in Browning en route to Glacier National Park. I thought about Ashley all while I was in Browning and driving through the Blackfeet Reservation. I looked for a Missing poster about her in the gas station / convenience store in Browning, but did not see any. I was very disappointed and wondered if she had already been forgotten by the community. MOO.

It's very sad! Last month, I stopped in Browning en route to Glacier National Park. I thought about Ashley all while I was in Browning and driving through the Blackfeet Reservation. I looked for a Missing poster about her in the gas station / convenience store in Browning, but did not see any. I was very disappointed and wondered if she had already been forgotten by the community. MOO.
Bless you for caring so for Ashley! I always hate to see interest in cases drop off, whether here or in the actual locale they occur. It's just the way things are, as time marches on :(

Apr 11, 2019
Ashley Loring HeavyRunner has been missing from the Blackfeet Reservation for almost two years.

I hope between the family's leads and the increased reward that Ashley is found and the people responsible for her disappearance are brought to justice. I think of Ashley often, and am saddened by so little attention to her disappearance. I wish all missing people got the amount of attention that Mollie Tibbets did. MOO.

Lailani had to pause a few times as she told the wrenching story, but the students who filled the auditorium this morning called out in support, “You got this!” Her family has searched “nationwide” for her cousin, Ashley Loring HeavyRunner, but “is not giving up.” Ashley is one of ~6,000 missing/murdered Indigenous women, she noted. “They are important, they are sacred.”
upload_2019-11-8_7-32-17.jpeg

The “strength and beauty” of women was celebrated at other points in the assembly, including its close, when šəqačib teacher Boo Balkan Fosterbrought the 30+ participants back on stage, holding slips of paper naming and honoring women who inspire them, and inviting the other students to do the same, for display at Chief Sealth.
'Strength and beauty' spotlighted at Chief Sealth International High School's Indigenous Peoples Day assembly

Solen, the poet, presented “Native” with Jayla. The poem dismissed stereotypes, reminding everyone that Native people are “doctors, artists, scientists,” and much more. “Indigenous people have voices!” they shouted in conclusion.

From Joel, a Native Hoop Dance that carried extra meaning for the students on hand:

The hoop, he explained, represented eternity, and symbolized the many tests they’ll face throughout their lives.

Teacher Balkan Foster observed that the assembly “shared some intense things, while also talking about strength and beauty.” And she offered hope: “When we think about things that are good, our brains change.”
'Strength and beauty' spotlighted at Chief Sealth International High School's Indigenous Peoples Day assembly

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back