Found Deceased MT - Katelynn Berry, 26, last seen @ home, suspicious, Sidney, 21 Dec 2021 *Reward*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder if straight ahead of where this video was taken, is that the Town Pump where she was known to walk to? So, in other words, would she walk across that field to get to the Town Pump from her apartment? TIA

No, the Town Pump is west of her apartment which is at the rear of the property, this field is NE of her apartment, accessed from the street at the front of her residence's property, you're welcome.

Last edited:
Would it be too cold for buzzards/vultures? Or birds that feed on carrion? I feel like that would attract them and a lot of them. In an open field you would think someone noticed that activity. Idk.

My brother, who is not schizophrenic, has episodes of paranoia, sometimes thinks someone is following him, or has poisoned the tap water. Luckily he has never taken off in cold weather, and can appear to be quite "normal" most of the time, even when in an episode. The family has said Katelynn has "walked away" before with no details given. The father said it was difficult to keep Katelynn on her medication. It's common for schizophrenics to have paranoia, they believe what their brain tells them, they don't question if it's logical, dangerous, or contrary to obvious facts. Some take off without a phone or identification as a part of the paranoia. I personally don't like calling it "mental illness".
Schizophrenia Is a Brain Disease | Psychology Today
https://www.psychologytoday.com › recovery-road › sc...

Jan 17, 2019 — Schizophrenia is a physical disease of the brain characterized by an imbalance of neurotransmitters and damaged brain tissue
i do not envy your family when one person is struggling all are struggling.

So to clear this up. Katelynn was found not at the back gate which was open, and where we saw the vehicles parked by the building but at the front of the apartment? Is it possible she had some sort of a distress situation and ran out the back gate and back through to the front of the property and then just collapsed? The poor young lady, my heart just breaks for what she was experiencing. Not one day has passed that i have not thought about her and how she was not able to be saved. Her parents, her siblings, her friends, her family has been through so much for such a long period of time. I am so sorry this did not have a happier ending. Good night all and reach out to anyone who seems to be suffering and let them know, no matter what, they matter and you care?

I thought it was a little odd that they didn't cancel the event considering her deceased body was found the day before. JMO
The event was probably still held mostly to provide support for friends and family. In small towns, in my experience, this often happens at taverns. The donations were probably still relevant for costs incurred. People in rural areas don't have a lot of expendable income

I thought it was a little odd that they didn't cancel the event considering her deceased body was found the day before. JMO
They might have also used the occasion to continue the benefit which takes a lot of work on lots of people’s time and effort. Actually bringing people together to grieve with one another might have been helpful and they felt like it was the thing to do to show the family that they are supported at this time. The roads were so horrible this weekend around the state, I am sure more folks would have attended. I believe cards and gifts can still be sent to the Aunt at least according to Bring Katelynn Home Facebook.

So to clear this up. Katelynn was found not at the back gate which was open, and where we saw the vehicles parked by the building but at the front of the apartment? Is it possible she had some sort of a distress situation and ran out the back gate and back through to the front of the property and then just collapsed?

Probably, the back gate is not involved. The apartment stairs actually face the side yard of the property, she most likely went to the right after going down the steps, left the property, passed a couple of houses, and continued north 1100 feet up the street, then about 90 feet (right) into the field. I have no idea if she had just left her home, was returning, or had been dropped off. It's just my personal opinion that most likely, she had some kind of "episode", was walking or running and she couldn't survive the cold.

From Katelynn's mom via the BKBH site:
There will be a celebration of Katelynn on Friday, January 28th at 2PM. Please join us at Zion Lutheran Church in Fairview, MT. Heaven gained a very special angel.

272329160_117881477435867_3339049065153954659_n.jpg

From Katelynn's mom via the BKBH site:
There will be a celebration of Katelynn on Friday, January 28th at 2PM. Please join us at Zion Lutheran Church in Fairview, MT. Heaven gained a very special angel.

272329160_117881477435867_3339049065153954659_n.jpg

This tells me that it was an accidental death. My heart goes out to this family, what a tragedy for them and for all the folks who tried desperately to find her. This is a time for healing. This will close one painful chapter and allow healing to begin. Pray for them!

Probably, the back gate is not involved. The apartment stairs actually face the side yard of the property, she most likely went to the right after going down the steps, left the property, passed a couple of houses, and continued north 1100 feet up the street, then about 90 feet (right) into the field. I have no idea if she had just left her home, was returning, or had been dropped off. It's just my personal opinion that most likely, she had some kind of "episode", was walking or running and she couldn't survive the cold.[/QUOTE

So just to clear up location, if she were to go down her steps and exited the property to her right would she have moved straight across the field between the home with the pool and the building with the large rectangular roof and headed toward that tree row and that small dirt road behind the tree row? Was that the field behind those buildings or did she leave the home and travel on 349r past the home with the pool and end up in that field? This makes a difference to me as to whether she was running for help or running away from something that had obviously overtaken her? I hate to keep bringing this up but location matters. If she did not go on her own and drugs were involved, a drug like Fentanyl overdose happens almost immediately, many are found with a needle still in their arm. Was anyone currently living on the property she inhabited or was she the sole person at the property? That final outgoing call is now more important than ever and I am sure goes to exactly her state of mind. By the time her parents had any inkling something was wrong the tragedy had already occurred. But if the tragedy occurred how were text messages sent on the 23rd or whenever they were supposedly sent? If she was under the influence of any drugs and those drugs were sold or given to her then someone needs to start talking. When you sell drugs to someone that are illegal to possess without a prescription then heads need to roll!

Last edited by a moderator:
This tells me that it was an accidental death. My heart goes out to this family, wwat a tragedy for them and for all the folks who tried desperately to find her. This is a time for healing. This will close one painful chapter and allow healing to begin. Pray for them!
Sorry---What tells you it was an accidental death?
Texts were sent from her phone after her father went to her apt to drop off her package--- first to drop it off on her deck , and when he returned to put it inside her apt. since she hadn't taken it in, later that day. Who sent them?

So just to clear up location, if she were to go down her steps and exited the property to her right would she have moved straight across the field between the home with the pool and the building .

She would have turned left (north) once at the street, and gone straight up 349R , assuming she went a direct route from her apartment. The reporter, for some reason (maybe respect), filmed from the farm access road, behind the house with the pool. He pans the camera to the remain's general location, in that north field. Then the camera pans west towards the Berry property, which I am not sure you can actually see.
In my opinion, LE has the ability to resolve any questions to do with her phone activity. Since the father's original comments about the text messages, we haven't heard anything about them being suspicious.

Last edited:
Texts were sent from her phone after her father went to her apt to drop off her package--- first to drop it off on her deck , and when he returned to put it inside her apt. since she hadn't taken it in, later that day. Who sent them?
Well when you get the remains of your loved one back and a celebration is planned for a week after those remains were found this is not a murder. Law enforcement and the Coroner have a tendency to hold onto remains if they are still investigating something. The cause of death is most likely Hypothermia resulting from a manic episode which would be a good guess or from drug overdose. There has been no statement issued from the Richland County Sheriff’s office, we have not been informed of the content of that final text or even if the phone was used on December 23 or 24. We have no leads on any video footage obtained from video in and around the Town Pump and the Sheriff stated that they had received no clues but since the snow had melted they would conduct a search close to her last known location. The public has not been asked to help in any way since the remains were found. The toxicology will take several more weeks. I think the family will release a statement when those results are known and I think it is more likely a tragedy than a homicide. However if she indeed did have drugs in her system then we might hear from Law Enforcement again. Her father had the pulse on his daughter i believe, he mentioned he had a hard time getting her to take her mental health meds like most families dealing with mental health issues experience. When he also told us in that interview that she had recently began using drugs, i think his radar was turned on full force which is why the delay with reporting her missing had occurred. This time was different, he has acknowledged. While she had left without her phone before for various periods of time this was longer than her previous events. He brought her food and tended to her needs and gave her money out of ❤️. The non driving and the lack of a job are further indicators that there was an issue ongoing. The lack of any firm commitment to Christmas was also an indicator. Him asking her to hug him as he left from seeing her for the very last time, tells me that he was really hurting inside and he actually needed the hug and reassurance that things were looking up. His deep commitment to Katelynn, his constant checking up on her and even finishing the handrail on Christmas Eve day were acts of love and wanting to let her know that she mattered… that she was loved…. And that he would do anything in the world, to help her, protect her, and listen to her. This family has been through a lot over the years, i assume, and had maybe had close calls before and worried this might happen at some point and that is why they kept close tabs on her. Her dad appeared to use every tool at his disposal to find his daughter but time just ran out, sadly. I know nothing more than anyone else but people emote when they speak and if we listen very carefully we can see cracks were no words are spoken. This case really haunts me because these stories are becoming to frequent. We have to find solutions that actually work, we need to help parents who need help with their young adults. All the love in the world could not save Katelynn but we have to keep looking for the answers or this will happen to another family and another and another and another and another!

She would have turned left (north) once at the street, and gone straight up 349R , assuming she went a direct route from her apartment. The reporter, for some reason (maybe respect), filmed from the farm access road, behind the house with the pool. He pans the camera to the remain's general location, in that north field. Then the camera pans west towards the Berry property, which I am not sure you can actually see.
So she left her home, turned left onto County Rd 349r and continued up 349r north until she had passed the home with the pool. Was her home on the opposite side of the road? Was Katelynn eventually found in the field on the same side of the County Rd she lived on or the side with the pool? If she was found on the pool side property was it at the back of the property or the side of the property? Sorry I am really bad with directions and i want to be factual or at least coherent on anything i write for the benefit of discussion. Thank you so much for attempting to paint a very knowledgable description of the scene. So many of us on this page are not local so the details do matter in this case.
In my opinion, LE has the ability to resolve any questions to do with her phone activity. Since the father's original comments about the text messages, we haven't heard anything about them being suspicious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well when you get the remains of your loved one back and a celebration is planned for a week after those remains were found this is not a murder. Law enforcement and the Coroner have a tendency to hold onto remains if they are still investigating something. The cause of death is most likely Hypothermia resulting from a manic episode which would be a good guess or from drug overdose. There has been no statement issued from the Richland County Sheriff’s office, we have not been informed of the content of that final text or even if the phone was used on December 23 or 24. We have no leads on any video footage obtained from video in and around the Town Pump and the Sheriff stated that they had received no clues but since the snow had melted they would conduct a search close to her last known location. The public has not been asked to help in any way since the remains were found. The toxicology will take several more weeks. I think the family will release a statement when those results are known and I think it is more likely a tragedy than a homicide. However if she indeed did have drugs in her system then we might hear from Law Enforcement again. Her father had the pulse on his daughter i believe, he mentioned he had a hard time getting her to take her mental health meds like most families dealing with mental health issues experience. When he also told us in that interview that she had recently began using drugs, i think his radar was turned on full force which is why the delay with reporting her missing had occurred. This time was different, he has acknowledged. While she had left without her phone before for various periods of time this was longer than her previous events. He brought her food and tended to her needs and gave her money out of ❤️. The non driving and the lack of a job are further indicators that there was an issue ongoing. The lack of any firm commitment to Christmas was also an indicator. Him asking her to hug him as he left from seeing her for the very last time, tells me that he was really hurting inside and he actually needed the hug and reassurance that things were looking up. His deep commitment to Katelynn, his constant checking up on her and even finishing the handrail on Christmas Eve day were acts of love and wanting to let her know that she mattered… that she was loved…. And that he would do anything in the world, to help her, protect her, and listen to her. This family has been through a lot over the years, i assume, and had maybe had close calls before and worried this might happen at some point and that is why they kept close tabs on her. Her dad appeared to use every tool at his disposal to find his daughter but time just ran out, sadly. I know nothing more than anyone else but people emote when they speak and if we listen very carefully we can see cracks were no words are spoken. This case really haunts me because these stories are becoming to frequent. We have to find solutions that actually work, we need to help parents who need help with their young adults. All the love in the world could not save Katelynn but we have to keep looking for the answers or this will happen to another family and another and another and another and another!

I didn’t read this whole post, but wanted to respond the beginning about the remains being released. If the autopsy is completed then it’s typical for the body to be released to family.

I’m looking for Montana specific information and will link it if I come across it.

That is indeed a very good question and if in fact texts were actually sent from that phone that will have to be cleared up. So if i am correct that last usage of the phone were all texts, correct? The text at midnight on December 21st would have actually been December 22nd, correct? Was a time given for those December 23rd and 24th texts? Were they actually acknowledged by LE? Does it bother you that the family has not made a statement other than providing us with details of her Memorial Service. I will assume you are a male since you are very succinct in your responses as opposed to us women who seem to blather on and add thoughts and experience to our comments. I love men so i am just making a point about how we approach matters. Again, thank you for your thoughtful and straightforward approach to comments which force up to rethink our responses on this page.

Well when you get the remains of your loved one back and a celebration is planned for a week after those remains were found this is not a murder. Law enforcement and the Coroner have a tendency to hold onto remains if they are still investigating something.

SBM
The coroner doesn't still have her remains? When were they released? As of this post, I hadn't heard the medical examiner in Billings had positively identified the remains yet let alone the COD or MOD.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZogNCat
Back